Home
Spent the day at the NJ track champs today. Lotta fast kids. Lotta different races.

I'm not a track/running guy, but it got me to thinking...

Whats your fastest mile time ever?
What can you run right now?

I remember running 6:20 in PE class one year. Not good, but i am not a runner and I am not sure if I ever ran it hard or taking it seriously. Dont recall what grade. Middle school or early HS. maybe?

If I went out today right now I think these old bones could get me in under 7:15.

Whats your fastest mile time ever?
What can you run right now?
I ran a 5:25 in HS.

I can run a 8 min/mile pace for several miles now, so I might be able to run a 6:45, if I really pushed. Maybe.

Metrics change over time.
Our daughter runs marathons.
Me, in basic training, 19 years young and a Lucky smoker, I'm not sure.
Now, I'm doing well to walk a mile.
I'm slow as fugg, and always have been. Back when I was my fittest and could have actually run a mile, it would probably have taken me 6 or 7 minutes, maybe more.

My good friend and fishing buddy who is more than 20 years younger than me kinda blew my mind a couple of years ago when he told me he set a school record when he ran a 4.46 mile in 8th grade. He was his full height at that age and I don't think he ever eat that number.
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
I ran a 5:25 in HS.

I can run a 8 min/mile pace for several miles now, so I might be able to run a 6:45, if I really pushed. Maybe.

Metrics change over time.

I just did a couple 23:30 5k's so I figured 7:15ish or so mile would be doable? Not sure. guestimating.

I hit the track with my younger son and ran a 1:30 1/4 mile, which I probably could have bested but my heart was about pounding out of my chest so I slowed down.

I'm doing this stuff because my kids have shown an interest and an aptitude for running, so I'm tagging along and joining in... in my 50's.
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I'm slow as fugg, and always have been. Back when I was my fittest and could have actually run a mile, it would probably have taken me 6 or 7 minutes, maybe more.

My good friend and fishing buddy who is more than 20 years younger than me kinda blew my mind a couple of years ago when he told me he set a school record when he ran a 4.46 mile in 8th grade. He was his full height at that age and I don't think he ever eat that number.

4:46 in 8th grade seems pretty damned good.

My son's a Jr and runs a 4:35 on his best days. Its not good enough for any sort of medal, which to me is amazing. Some fast kids out there.
I did the USMC PFT 3 mile run in under 18 minutes every time but once.

I ran 3 miles tonight in a tad over 30 minutes, but I've been out over thirty years.

So 5:50's them, 10:00's now.
6 minutes in college, 6 days now
Originally Posted by wabigoon

My wife does half's. She said marathons take too long to train for. I believe her.
Fastest mile was 7:05. Fastest 2 mile was 15:04. Bith i stances I puked afterward. Matter of fact, I puked after every PT test.
My knees are slaughtered. I don't run anymore. Never was fast at a mile.
I don’t even walk to the mail box I got wheels
5:10 in 10th grade, probably about 10 minutes or more now with a bad ankle.
I high school, I ran track, mile and two mile. I ran those cause I was too slow for sprints, but I had stamina. Best time was a little over five minutes on the mile, don’t remember two mile time. I work out on a tread mill 4-5 days a week. Don’t know what my mile time would be, but I’m sure I could jog a mile today.
Fastest for me was a 16 and change 3 Mile when I was in the military, now I use a sundial to clock my runs. Knees are shot so I try not to run
when I was in the USARMY I could run 2 miles in 14 minutes........but not anymore
I was watching the USFS kids going by the shack Wednsday. They were doing the annual pack test. 40 pounds, 3 miles, 45 minutes. Some of course nailed it, but most were struggling. 12 yr old grandson and I tried it this morning. Him with 15 pound pack, me with 40. I did not pass...47 min. Kid passed. It ain't as easy as it sounds.
4+17 in basic training near 55 years ago. I do a mile in a minute or less these days.
I remember doing a mile in just under 5 and a half minutes in high school. Had to run that fast to keep ahead of all the girls chasing me.

Now a days I don't think my arms could ever pump this chair that fast.
At 24 and 25 I ran hard every night training for motocross.
I ran untill i almost puked.
Nothing made me faster.
After the 1986 season my times fell of a bit.
Ok a whole lot.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Around 4:40……should’ve been near 4:30 In my late 20’s, could get a 5 minute first mile in a 5K or a 5 miler! Best 5K was 16:25.

Now, after two back surgeries…..I don’t run Epson good! 😟 memtb
I never ran the mile. Ran the 880 in 2 minutes 2.5 seconds. Now about 2 days.
Originally Posted by Whelenman
I never ran the mile. Ran the 880 in 2 minutes 2.5 seconds. Now about 2 days.

1.5 miles in 9.00 in the Navy PT in 86. Now I can roll with Whelen just fine!
IIRC, it took me a little over an hour to swim a mile in a flight suit during preflight training.
Originally Posted by navlav8r
IIRC, it took me a little over an hour to swim a mile in a flight suit during preflight training.
Zero fun right there. Only way that would suck more is cold water
Was on a relay team in middle school and we won a few heats in district competition. Then chose boxing over track in HS. What a dummy.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Me, in basic training, 19 years young and a Lucky smoker, I'm not sure.
Now, I'm doing well to walk a mile.

Put a big black cock on the end of a stick and I bet you turn into a rabbit.

LOL
3 miles, 45 pound pack, 45 minutes.

8 or 9 mins back in high school.
Fastest mile was a 4.27 when I was a freshmen in high School. Most times were 4.40-4.45 Basic training four years later was a little over 5. I don't run anymore but still walk quite a bit.
Then 6:06

NOW:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Sophomore grandson was clocking a 4:50 mile in his rookie year running track.

There are some fast kids out there.

Once ran a 6 minute mile. No more.
I ran 3 miles in 18:20 in 1999.
Had the Jr High record at 4:29. Now? Probably double that.
I’ve always hated running and as I get older I hate it even more. Growing up I was really into swimming and was captain of the high school swim team for my junior and senior year. I went to state in high school and did well but after high school I didn’t swim as much. I was working out at the station and at the gym on my days off. One year my shift (C shift) decided to do a triathlon. I’d do the mile swim across the lake, one buddy did the run and another the biking. I really didn’t train for it since I was in good shape already and I really didn’t care where we placed we just wanted to do it. The 3 of us decided to get donations from people we knew based upon our performance which meant that our friends were betting against us…,so to speak. The donations were our way of upping our district’s total amount raised for the year for Muscular Dystrophy. Muscular Dystrophy and “Give Burns the Boot” were the 2 big charities that the fire department supported and our district alone raised an incredible amount each year….it was something that we were (are) extremely proud of and we looked forward to the times when the fundraiser was going….. mostly because we raised a hell of a lot of money for a great cause but also because all of us bachelors found it to be an excellent opportunity to invite young ladies to the fire station for dinner and a private tour. We had to schedule our dates so that there weren’t 3 or 4 women on the same night. We decided that ideally we’d only have 1 at a time which meant that in a typical work week (modified Detroit schedule) we had 3 nights and 3 bachelors so each of us got 1 new girl to host per week. 😀…….Anyway, back to the original triathlon story…..the Saturday of the triathlon came and for some dumb reason my team decided to go out the night BEFORE the triathlon to “pre-celebrate” our victory so we were a little hungover. The mile swim was first which was good because not only did I want my part to be over but it was warm and I was sweating pure alcohol so diving into the lake was just what I needed. I swam the mile and did pretty good…my best friend did the biking leg next and our other buddy did the run. Laying in the sun on the grass recovering not concerned with our place or the money we were trying to raise for charity the Master of Ceremonies started to list the winning teams and their times. The 3 of us almost fell over when they called our team’s name and awarded us first place for the under 30yr old category. We were pretty happy when it came time to collect from our friends their donations based upon our first place finish. There were a couple of guys that had been convinced that we wouldn’t do as well as we did so they’d promised big bucks for our first place finish…collecting from them was a great feeling. 😂

Our little team of 3 firefighters raised several thousand dollars all by ourselves for the Muscular Dystrophy association which was really something back then but having that first place medal and collecting from those that bet against us was the cherry on top. Virtually every single guy I worked with for all those years in the fire department was as fine a man as anyone could hope to be. Kind, empathetic, capable, professional, compassionate men that were extremely rough around the edges but were solid gold through and through!
Had school record for 1/2 mile for several years, 2:04 mins. I could pretty much keep a 2:30 min pace for several miles. That was 35 years ago. Ran the MURPH a couple weeks ago and my mile was over 8:00 mins.

I was pacing myself and running with wife
Had RHR of 32bpm at 28 yo. Lowest they’d ever seen. Never ran much but on the arena football sized treadmills I could cover 6 miles at an avg 6mins weighing 225. Sadly, some here will recall I played frogger with an illegals immigrant who blew a red light at 40 mph,,, I was a pedestrian. Kept both legs but running is a never again thing. I recall some D Lines in HS could hit 4.5 and those jokers made me look petite. I was 6’3” in 5th grade. I moved to the big school known for dominating on the field and as a tight end a few line kids pushed 250 in Jr HS and blew my doors off. I still can’t figure out how JR Linebackers almost NFL size ran laps around the 4 squads of the team. My nephews had to get waivers to play varsity in 6th grade but they were little fellas. That school turned out monsters. I trained with the arena guys under an Oakland Raiders trainer and I remember one day at 25 recalling a JR in HS hit 375 for reps on bench while I struggled to match it at 25. I wasn’t gifted with strength to match my early growth spirt I guess.

Now at 41, I travel almost constant. Went from rock climbing at a young 40 weighing under 200 to a fat slob weighing 240 today. 35 was nothing other than learning to walk again. 40 I heard would slow me down, nope. 41 or the stupid boosters got me. I’m blaming work travel but I’ve always worked way too many hours. I got old and tired real quick. Now I will pack 200 lbs 12 hrs but a mile? With 1 leg? Probably 15 mins, it’s embarrassing but with leg 2 supposed to have bones dissolve and the F’ers fused into a hunk, with foot drop I barely overcame, it’s tough to train. Still run hatchery trips beyond all for endless hours climbing creek banks with totes of trout but that S is wearing on me fast. Can’t believe it hit that quick.
That’s freaking fast!
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer
Had school record for 1/2 mile for several years, 2:04 mins. I could pretty much keep a 2:30 min pace for several miles. That was 35 years ago. Ran the MURPH a couple weeks ago and my mile was over 8:00 mins.

I was pacing myself and running with wife

My treadmill speed did not translate to astrofirma. The trainer was sadistic and put it at full incline. Big treadmills that’s steep at 6.5 min mile for endless miles. Hit real terrain, nowhere the same. Your fast!
Originally Posted by Salmonella
At 24 and 25 I ran hard every night training for motocross.
I ran untill i almost puked.
Nothing made me faster.
After the 1986 season my times fell of a bit.
Ok a whole lot.

I hear ya. I was pretty fast as well until the knee problem

I dunno- but it was likely pretty good when I got jumped by a griz/brown bear 1.5 miles from the truck, in half-dark with plenty of caribou blood scent on me. Didn't seem to take me any time at all to get there, after it backed off from 40 feet away. smile

It wasn't wasting any time going the other way up a 45 degree slope, either, once it realized I wasn't on it's planned menu. And considerably faster than I was going down a gentle valley floor....

Motivation is the key....
Was never very fast as I have short legs, for my torso size...

But played soccer in Junior High and High School. In high school, we ran 8 miles with the cross country team and then had 2 hours of practice.. Didn't have speed, but definitely had a lot of endurance.

Use to hike a lot in high school also, on weekends sometimes 20 miles or more in a day...

Will turn 71 this month.. those days are long gone.
Was a sprinter and OK, and stretched at times to do the 880 in about 2:05. Best mile was about 5:40. I could not run a mile today, let alone time it.
Yeah - age....

My morning exercise consists mostly of turning the computer on to see what you guys are up to. smile

Ain't no way I'm running anywhere, fast or slow, now, without the right motivation.
In high school 2:04 880 and 4:40 mile.

Now I only run to the fridge, or more likely the bathroom, and I don't use a timer, its a "results oriented" run.

Some of the times now are crazy good for kids when you get to the district or state levels and have weeded out the wheezers.
THEN: 7 MIN.

NOW: 7 HOURS !!!
To get on the fire department I had to run the mile in under 10 minutes. Once I got the job never had to run again. Took the police test and had to run under 8 minutes. That was 40 years ago. Never was any kind of runner, sprint or distance.
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer
Had school record for 1/2 mile for several years, 2:04 mins.

Thats moving pretty good!
Originally Posted by Seafire
Your best mile time... then and now?

Depends entirely on which vehicle I am driving.

But when I walk in the mornings with my wife I like to saunter along, whilst she is one of those buggers with a battery up her arse and thinks it is a bloody race.
Then: I could run it in 8 minutes.

Now: I can run it in47 seconds...Nissan Exterra
Originally Posted by llamalover2
In high school 2:04 880 and 4:40 mile.

Some of the times now are crazy good for kids when you get to the district or state levels and have weeded out the wheezers.

Yeah, it was really eye opening this season to see how fast some kids are. As insanely fast as that is, at 2:04 and 4:40 you are qualifying for the states sectionals but going home without a medal. HS kids are running sub 2:00 in the 800. Crazy impressive.
Not sure I ever ran a mile.
Never been chased that far.
Never wanted to chase anything that far at speed.

Heck, I've never really liked to walk.
To go somewhere, spend time with a girl, hunt.....sure. if I have a reason.
But when the point is just to walk?

Just can't quite wrap my head around the folks that drive a car to the school track
to walk in circles. Time, gas.....to go in circles and only end up back at home.

Some used to go in town and flop the block.

I don't get in the car for no more reason than driving.
Used to run 5 miles a day, six days a week. Had a nice hilly road down to the river, there and back was five miles of up and down exactly. Got to where it was a 35 minute run. Then the knee started acting up, so I dropped to three days a week. Then I cut back to two miles. Now, I only run when there is some good reason for it. Can still do a mile if needed. Looking into getting a good bike and riding it for cardio. Its seven miles to work, and I can run a little used back road most of the way there.
I can vaguely remember running.

In the AF, we had to do an annual PT test. I think I managed to pass the 1.5 mile in 12 minute run once. Never was a jock. After I quit flying and went Reserves, I just filled in my annual PT test card every year with a "Passed" notation. The closest I've gotten to running in the past five decades has been the occasional hurry across a crosswalk.

Edit: Dillon, what makes me giggle are the idjits who make three circles of the parking lot until they get a close parking spot - to the gym.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Then: I could run it in 8 minutes.

Now: I can run it in47 seconds...Nissan Exterra
🤣👍
My fastest time in USMC PFT was 3 miles in 23:32, I was a smoker, and hated running !
My NCOIC used to smoke during the runs, and still outran the rest of the shop.
I don’t know my fastest time at my peak, but my best Marine Corps 3-mile PFT time was 21:30 (not blazing I know) which came out to three miles at 7:10 per mile. We rarely ran less than 2.5 miles so I never really timed a mile. Now at 42, I can go 7:45 on a good day at the track. Knowing my 200, 400 and 800 paces help me keep it under 8:00. Ran a 5k a few years ago at 24:40 and was pleased to get it!
In high school I was a pole vaulter and a smoker. Middle of the pack fast but hated running. After smoking for about 15 years, I quit and started jogging. I ran my first marathon at 40. I could string enough 8 minute miles together to finish in under 3:40. 10 years of that took a toll and I cut it back. I remember on my 55th birthday, I did 50 push ups, 50 sit ups and ran 5 miles in 40 minutes. It was down hill after that. After learning that I would need a hip replacement some day, I walk now. I realized that I’m getting older. Never thought it would happen!
I always walked the mile in school
In high school unofficial mile was around 5, ran 800 in 2:02 repeatedly, 440 in 52 and ran 48.7 and 48.8 three times in two day in college. Was offered full track scholarship for next year and started laughing,s aid uncle sam already had dibs as lottery number 40 and no student deferments. In military ran 4:30 something mile on organizatin day in jungle boots. PT test two mile in boots, ran right around 12 minutes

Now due to injuries, can walk a 15 minute mile.
Last time I ran mile yellow jackets were involved.
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Last time I ran mile yellow jackets were involved.
🤣🤣🤣
The ONLY place I run to these days is the bathroom...
Originally Posted by Owl
The ONLY place I run to these days is the bathroom...
😂👍
I ran a 5:00 on my 36th birthday. I’m 41 now, and have had some lingering injuries. Can still keep it in the 5’s.
As a kid on a large ranch I ran everywhere. Track practice after school I ran hurdles and many times around the 1/4 mile track, then ran three miles home without stopping.
Never was timed in the mile.
60 years ago I ran the 220 in 23 flat, 440 in 51.3. Today it takes almost 23 seconds to go 22 feet.
I never ran a mile for time but when I was active duty we had to do physical fitness assessment twice a year and it included a mile and a half run. The best time I got on the mile and a half was 8:36. The last time I ran it I was 50 years old and I ran it in 9:47. That was the last time I ran on a clock. I'm 60 now and could probably still do the mile and a half in 11:00 or less but I have zero desire or need to do it so I'll pass.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I can vaguely remember running.

In the AF, we had to do an annual PT test. I think I managed to pass the 1.5 mile in 12 minute run once. Never was a jock. After I quit flying and went Reserves, I just filled in my annual PT test card every year with a "Passed" notation. The closest I've gotten to running in the past five decades has been the occasional hurry across a crosswalk.

Edit: Dillon, what makes me giggle are the idjits who make three circles of the parking lot until they get a close parking spot - to the gym.

I'v posted this before. Saw a gal squeeze her vehicle in between two others in the last available space, so tight she had to go out the window. 30 feet behind her on the other side of the parking space, there were a half-dozen open places.

Yes, she was going to an exercise class.

Actually, squeezing out the window was probably less energy efficient than walking that 30 feet. But I don't think that was her thinking. smile
Originally Posted by Godogs57
6 minutes in college, 6 days now

5:06 then, fifteen minutes now. Any faster and the heart rate goes to 190.
Originally Posted by memtb
Around 4:40……should’ve been near 4:30 In my late 20’s, could get a 5 minute first mile in a 5K or a 5 miler! Best 5K was 16:25.

Now, after two back surgeries…..I don’t run Epson good! 😟 memtb

You were something.
Originally Posted by Nykki
Fastest mile was a 4.27 when I was a freshmen in high School. Most times were 4.40-4.45 Basic training four years later was a little over 5. I don't run anymore but still walk quite a bit.

4 27 as a freshman is impressive

army best time for 2 miles was 1130 and it hurt
Long ago, in order to graduate from Air Force Basic we had to run 2 miles in ? well can't remember maybe 12 min's, nor sure but whatever the time it was doable. Life was such a whirlwind. The Air Force was in a big buildup due to the Cuban Missile
Crisis. In order to get troops out in the Field we went to Electronics School at Keesler AFB 6 hours a day & spent the rest of the day finishing Basic Training. We only had 5 weeks Basic at Lackland AFB. On Sat's we drilled & marched on the frigging Flight Line. WE Marched for a while, then lined up in PARADE REST & watched the rest march for awhile. A total frigging waste of time.
I did 1/2 mile in 2:25 as a Freshman. I was pretty used up so doing a whole mile would of been tough. I don't recall my mile time in Basic but I was a good runner back then. In my later years in the National Guard I did my 2 miles in around 16:30. After back sugery in 2003 I can't do 2 blocks.

kwg
This thread is pathetic.

LOL
Originally Posted by deflave
This thread is pathetic.
LOL
Well, if anyone on the "Fire" would have insider personal experience on being pathetic - - - -
Originally Posted by SRPI89
I ran a 5:00 on my 36th birthday. I’m 41 now, and have had some lingering injuries. Can still keep it in the 5’s.

Thats pretty impressive.
© 24hourcampfire