Home
Posted By: Hastings Bleach 1 gallon jugs - 07/13/23
This is an insignificant matter but I have noticed that my bleach in whatever brand is now in 3.78 quart (121 ounce) jugs instead of a full gallon. What's up with that? I guess maybe shorting you 7 ounces makes a lot of difference in profit and shipping costs when multiplied all over the country. I went to Dollar General and looked last night, it was the same for every brand.

Seems chickensheit to me.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Bleach 1 gallon jugs - 07/13/23
shrinkflation - you're just now noticing it?
Posted By: hanco Re: Bleach 1 gallon jugs - 07/13/23
Biden getting his cut
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: Bleach 1 gallon jugs - 07/13/23
Originally Posted by Hastings
This is an insignificant matter but I have noticed that my bleach in whatever brand is now in 3.78 quart (121 ounce) jugs instead of a full gallon. What's up with that? I guess maybe shorting you 7 ounces makes a lot of difference in profit and shipping costs when multiplied all over the country. I went to Dollar General and looked last night, it was the same for every brand.

You're just noticing this now?
Posted By: WhiteFawn Re: Bleach 1 gallon jugs - 07/13/23
You're not supposed to notice or object to getting less product for the same or more money. Same way with ice cream. What used to be a half gallon is now is 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 quarts. All that printed money...
Posted By: Hastings Re: Bleach 1 gallon jugs - 07/13/23
If you can stand to go to Walmart they sell swimming pool chlorine which is exactly the same chemical as Chlorox bleach but at 10% versus 7.5% in disinfecting bleach and sells for $5.67 for a full gallon.
Posted By: ModelT Re: Bleach 1 gallon jugs - 07/13/23
I can remember when Purex came in a big brown glass bottle and it .37 cents.
Posted By: hanco Re: Bleach 1 gallon jugs - 07/13/23
Originally Posted by ModelT
I can remember when Purex came in a big brown glass bottle and it .37 cents.

I was banging the big bottles together to break them in back of a washateria when I was 8 or so. I’m looking at the scar on my right hand.
Posted By: 348winchester Re: Bleach 1 gallon jugs - 07/13/23
Of all the shrinkflation items, the one that piss me off most is spaghetti sauce. I can’t feed 4 people on a current jar and using 2 jars is too much. End up putting half a jar in the fridge to end up spoiling with mold before I use it.
That scheme is over 100 years old- - - - -started out with booze bottles smuggled in from Canada being 1/5 of a gallon instead of a quart during prohibition. That's where the term "fifth of liquor" came from!
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Bleach 1 gallon jugs - 07/13/23
Pay more get less
Originally Posted by 348winchester
Of all the shrinkflation items, the one that piss me off most is spaghetti sauce. I can’t feed 4 people on a current jar and using 2 jars is too much. End up putting half a jar in the fridge to end up spoiling with mold before I use it.

Just add a can of crushed tomatoes and a little oregano to the jar of sauce- - - - -it increases the volume without altering the taste noticeably. I make spaghetti sauce 3 gallons at a time and can or freeze it- - - -better than anybody's store bought and it keeps for a year either way. We never let it last that long, thiough.
Posted By: EdM Re: Bleach 1 gallon jugs - 07/13/23

A solution.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: ironbender Re: Bleach 1 gallon jugs - 07/13/23
They put spaghetti sauce in jars? 😳

Holy chit.
Posted By: MarkWV Re: Bleach 1 gallon jugs - 07/13/23

You are better off than me. I just bought Clorox and it was in a 117 Oz jug for $7.
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: Bleach 1 gallon jugs - 07/13/23
Originally Posted by ironbender
They put spaghetti sauce in jars? 😳

Holy chit.

Incredibly stupid or disingenuous.
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: Bleach 1 gallon jugs - 07/13/23
Originally Posted by MikeL2
shrinkflation - you're just now noticing it?

Yep.
Still can buy a gallon of gas or diesel for the time being.
Posted By: poboy Re: Bleach 1 gallon jugs - 07/13/23
Drink it.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Bleach 1 gallon jugs - 07/13/23
We must be lucky out this way... My wife is still buying gallon jugs of bleach.... 128 ounces., for like $3.00 or something...

Maybe she's getting it from the meth dealers who sell it behind the Walmart Parking Lot....
Posted By: JeffA Re: Bleach 1 gallon jugs - 07/13/23
I recently replaced all the old fluorescence lighting in my store room with new LEDs, I'd put 6 two lamp, 4 ft fixtures in long ago, 40 watts per bulb, 80 watts per fixture giving me 480 watts of light, my target had been 500 watts, 480 was close enough.

Some years back I relamped all 6 fixtures with state of the art new 'energy efficient' bulbs, I haven't been able to see well in there since. While removing all the old fixtures to install the LEDs I noticed those 'energy efficient' bulbs were only 32 watts each.

That only adds up to 384 watts of light, a far cry from my 500 watt target, that's why I couldn't see well in there. There was nothing 'energy efficient' about those bulbs at all, they just gave me less light!

Well, the LEDs fixed that, I'm up to 750 watts of light in there now.
But that's when I noticed the label on the bag of dog food I've been buying, it's 12 pounds, they use to be 15 pounds, who the hell buys 12 pounds of anything? It's not eggs were talking about here.

Now I gotta go check my bleach to see if they are skimping on the gallon there too.

It's a set-up, a conspiracy!

They started with schitty lighting so we couldn't see these labels on our stuff, how many slices of bread have they been shorting those loaves I've been buying?

Them sticks of butter been looking kinda short too.

Next thing you know their gonna start using metric measures for the weight of beef we buy so none of use will ever again really know how much that flat of burger actually weighs.

What's next, the imperial gallon of gas at the filling station?

We're screwed, but we really don't know by how much.
Posted By: Crockettnj Re: Bleach 1 gallon jugs - 07/13/23
Originally Posted by Seafire
We must be lucky out this way... My wife is still buying gallon jugs of bleach.... 128 ounces., for like $3.00 or something...

Check the concentration.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Bleach 1 gallon jugs - 07/13/23
Originally Posted by hanco
Biden getting his cut

^^^^This^^^^
Originally Posted by JeffA
I recently replaced all the old fluorescence lighting in my store room with new LEDs, I'd put 6 two lamp, 4 ft fixtures in long ago, 40 watts per bulb, 80 watts per fixture giving me 480 watts of light, my target had been 500 watts, 480 was close enough.

Some years back I relamped all 6 fixtures with state of the art new 'energy efficient' bulbs, I haven't been able to see well in there since. While removing all the old fixtures to install the LEDs I noticed those 'energy efficient' bulbs were only 32 watts each.

That only adds up to 384 watts of light, a far cry from my 500 watt target, that's why I couldn't see well in there. There was nothing 'energy efficient' about those bulbs at all, they just gave me less light!

Well, the LEDs fixed that, I'm up to 750 watts of light in there now.
But that's when I noticed the label on the bag of dog food I've been buying, it's 12 pounds, they use to be 15 pounds, who the hell buys 12 pounds of anything? It's not eggs were talking about here.

Now I gotta go check my bleach to see if they are skimping on the gallon there too.

They started with schitty lighting so we couldn't see these labels on our stuff, how many slices of bread have they been shorting those loaves I've been buying?

Them sticks of butter been looking kinda short too.

Next thing you know their gonna start using metric measures for the weight of beef we buy so none of use will ever again really know how much that flat of burger actually weighs.

What's next, the imperial gallon of gas at the filling station?

We're screwed, but we really don't know by how much.

While your main point is notable and taken, it's a common misconception that our perception of brightness and power (watts) are directly related. It's really only a meaningful comparison between same-type lights. Think of it similar to the numbers on your stereo. How loud is 8? Is my 4 louder than your 8? It really depends on the particular stereos you are comparing.

How efficiently is that power converted to another form (sound, light, etc), and that varies drastically from incandescent to florescent to LED. So , apples to grapefruits to starburst.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Bleach 1 gallon jugs - 07/13/23
So you're saying that 32 watts of fluorescence light may be more than 40 watts of fluorescence light?

Isn't that like saying 3.78 quarts of bleach might also be more than 4 quarts of bleach?
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Bleach 1 gallon jugs - 07/13/23
What matters is lumens, candlepower, or candela, which is the modern term. Compare that rating for the bulbs you’re considering.

Naturally, they can still lie about THAT…..
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Bleach 1 gallon jugs - 07/13/23
Yep - wattage is power consumption
Lumens, or candlepower is the amount of light dispensed
The two are only "kinda" related

Fluid ounces are fluid ounces, however.
Posted By: rem shooter Re: Bleach 1 gallon jugs - 07/13/23
yep .went to store and bought a jar of Dukes mayonnase . thought the jar looked differant ..compared it to one in fridge .yep . new jar a little shorter and it only 30 oz on label old jar said 32 oz on label.and of course the 30 oz'er still costed more than the old one ...sheesh
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Bleach 1 gallon jugs - 07/13/23
Originally Posted by Pappy348
What matters is lumens, candlepower, or candela, which is the modern term. Compare that rating for the bulbs you’re considering.

Baffles me how someone can't know that in this day and age. Hopefully you get it now JeffA - no disrespect meant. You don't know until you know. LED bulbs are a Godsend. Lose the huge inefficiency that comes out in the form of heat in a traditional bulb. We used to bake in a hot bathroom with like a dozen 60 watt Hollywood bulbs surrounding a mirror. Replacing with LED- what a difference.

I sat in a semi dark office where I reload and complained forever saying I needed to add a floor lamp. Instead , and only recently, had the obvious idea to replace the light in my ceiling fan thinking it was a single circular Fluorescent. Was happy to find they where those 40 watt fake candle bulbs- incandescent. I replaced with 3 daylight color LED bulbs equivalent to 60 watts each- they use something only like 5w a piece but increased brightness ( lumens) nearly 50%. $$$ savings and happy workplace.
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Bleach 1 gallon jugs - 07/13/23

Its already been said, but its everything. Portions have shrunk in damn near everything you buy. It obviously works in fooling people who think prices on certain items are still the same. A few tards in here are arguing that the economy is fine and just chugging right along lol. Nope, youre just getting a hell of alot less for the same old price.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Bleach 1 gallon jugs - 07/13/23

Hahaha!

Metric bleach.
Posted By: Papag Re: Bleach 1 gallon jugs - 07/13/23
And now the fifth is 750 million gets and the old half gallon handle is 1.75 liters.
Posted By: GAGoober Re: Bleach 1 gallon jugs - 07/13/23
It all started when they reduced the gallons in flush toilets to make them more “efficient”. Now, instead of one flush after a good shcit, it takes two flushes.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Bleach 1 gallon jugs - 07/13/23
It has been going on for decades. Just more rampant now. Liquid detergents. Why do you think the bottles are opaque? So you can't see that the bottle is only 2/3rds full. Dish washing liquids. How to increase profits? Add more ethanol (low cost ingredient) to lower viscosity. Lower viscosity, more product flows out per usage. Already at high ethanol level? Increase the size of the orifice in the pour spout by 10%. Not noticeable to the consumer. But now 10% more product comes out per usage. Toothpaste used to be 7 oz per tube? Now less than 6oz. Same size tube, BUT, you have to squeeze the first two inches of the tube before any will come out... Corporations have been playing games with such things for decades.
Posted By: rem shooter Re: Bleach 1 gallon jugs - 07/13/23
I always wondered why as a kid in the 70's why pop went from a 2 quart bottle to a 2 liter bottle .since we did not use the metric system .dummy me i thought back then a liter was more than a quart ,and we was getting more .now i know it was less and it was shrinkflation .
So you're saying that 32 watts of fluorescence light may be more than 40 watts of fluorescence light?

Isn't that like saying 3.78 quarts of bleach might also be more than 4 quarts of bleach?

Yes. if by "more" you mean actual light (lumens) and not power (watts).

No.

(BUT... now that you mention it...

3.78 quarts of 5% bleach solution has a lot more active ingredient than 4 quarts of 1% bleach solution. So, maybe. Depends on what you are referring to exactly. )

Naturally, they can still lie about THAT…..

Yep and yep.

(How far away from the source it was measured, calibration, or just flat out lying. )
Posted By: Raeford Re: Bleach 1 gallon jugs - 07/13/23
Originally Posted by kenjs1

Baffles me how someone can't know that in this day and age. Hopefully you get it now JeffA - no disrespect meant. You don't know until you know. LED bulbs are a Godsend. Lose the huge inefficiency that comes out in the form of heat in a traditional bulb. We used to bake in a hot bathroom with like a dozen 60 watt Hollywood bulbs surrounding a mirror. Replacing with LED- what a difference.

I sat in a semi dark office where I reload and complained forever saying I needed to add a floor lamp. Instead , and only recently, had the obvious idea to replace the light in my ceiling fan thinking it was a single circular Fluorescent. Was happy to find they where those 40 watt fake candle bulbs- incandescent. I replaced with 3 daylight color LED bulbs equivalent to 60 watts each- they use something only like 5w a piece but increased brightness ( lumens) nearly 50%. $$$ savings and happy workplace.

We have put these in our basement/shop, garage etc
RK runs them on sale for around $5, I can see again in the basement workshop!

https://www.ruralking.com/catalog/product/view/id/184924
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Its already been said, but its everything. Portions have shrunk in damn near everything you buy. It obviously works in fooling people who think prices on certain items are still the same. A few tards in here are arguing that the economy is fine and just chugging right along lol. Nope, youre just getting a hell of alot less for the same old price.

Yep.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Bleach 1 gallon jugs - 07/13/23
Did a project last year for customer. Reduce our size by 20% of product that they put in another product to sell to the end user was their request. We gave them a 10% size reduction and said our equipment couldn't function at 20% reduction. They paid us for the equipment changes. I'm sure they raised the prices to the customer as well as the reduced product. The dumb part is, our sales team is giddy about how successful of a project it was. What? You just recovered the cost of equipment, so that is a wash, and gave up 10% in sales with no price recovery. Idiots.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Bleach 1 gallon jugs - 07/13/23
Originally Posted by GAGoober
It all started when they reduced the gallons in flush toilets to make them more “efficient”. Now, instead of one flush after a good shcit, it takes two flushes.

Makes perfect sense to the typical "Dope Smoking Save the Planet" hippie wannabes....

The same idiots that always preach about "saving the environment MAN!!: Ya know the same idiots that treat their own bodies like a toilet with all the drugs they run thru their bodies, and then never pick up their own trash, while they preach to everyone else to "SAVE the Planet and Environment " MAN!

Cheap ass accountants jump right on that crap to save a Nickle. The same people that would sell their dead mothers body, if they could make an extra dime off of it.

and the beat goes on....

I just blew up 15 bleach jugs filled with water the other day, testing load penetration on the 6 x 45, with 87 to 105 grain bullets. They all were one gallon jugs. Must have been old stock. My wife buys that stuff cheap because she pours it into her swimming pool.. that she never goes in, because the water is too cold... but she just had to have a swimming pool, because she "has always wanted one, her entire life".

I just don't get the average person's logic in life. smile
Posted By: mathman Re: Bleach 1 gallon jugs - 07/13/23
If you drink imported beer you'll notice many brands come in 11.2 ounce bottles, that amount being 330 ml, the EU standard. Of course the price didn't drop in the shift down from the familiar 12 ounce, 355 ml size.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Bleach 1 gallon jugs - 07/13/23
BTW, Hastings.
Bleach has been sold in the 121 oz size for at least 10 years.
I bleach my drinking tanks every so often to kill the algae and weeds.
Posted By: ModelT Re: Bleach 1 gallon jugs - 07/13/23
Originally Posted by mark shubert
BTW, Hastings.
You are breaking the narrative. Give the OP his due.
Posted By: cv540 Re: Bleach 1 gallon jugs - 07/13/23

I think you may have something here.

This together with the schools no longer turning out kids that can do practical math (remember word problems in Math class) and future generations will be clueless by design.
Posted By: HNIC Re: Bleach 1 gallon jugs - 07/13/23
we like that "green box" spaghetti occasionnaly and i remember when that little envelope of parmeasean cheese would be good enough for a family of 4 with a little leftover for us 2 kids to fight over, now that envelope of parmeasean cheese aint enough for 2 people.
Posted By: Hastings Re: Bleach 1 gallon jugs - 07/13/23
Originally Posted by mark shubert
BTW, Hastings.
Shows how slow I am.

But if you want to kill algae with chlorine I believe the 10% swimming pool chlorine from Walmart would give you the most bang for your buck. $5.67 for a full gallon. Some jugs of bleach are mighty weak. If the jug doesn't list the percent you can bet it ain't much.
© 24hourcampfire