Home
Posted By: Orion2000 Noobie Brisket Question... - 07/20/23
Have two 6 lb brisket flats. Need to cook both. Planning to bake in oven at 225*F. Each wrapped individually. Not touching. Cook for 6 hours? or cook for 12 hours?

Or wrap together with slight overlap and cook at 225*F for 12 hours ?
6 hours at 225° will come out superb.
Posted By: hanco Re: Noobie Brisket Question... - 07/20/23
We cook in the oven for 3 hours at 250 wrapped in foil, put on pit with foil open until done. We like mesquite to cook with. I like ballistic tips also.
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Planning to bake in oven

[Linked Image from 25.media.tumblr.com]
Posted By: Terryk Re: Noobie Brisket Question... - 07/20/23
Flats are better because they generally cook faster because they have less fat than a whole brisket that has the point.
Cook time depends on the meat quality, but 10-12 hours is probably close. They are done when the meat is 195F. So best bet is a meat probe thermometer. I would put 2 together.
If you can put it on charcoal or wood before the stove, that would kick it up a notch.
Oven?
Posted By: mathman Re: Noobie Brisket Question... - 07/20/23
It's a different end product than smoked, but I have enjoyed mighty fine oven brisket.
You don’t have to have an outdoor cooking facility to make a good brisket. Lots of folks don’t care for smoked food. The secret to indoor oven cooking is in the seasonings which takes a bit of experimentation.

I am building an outdoor cooking veranda. But, I perfected oven cooking for Brisket, Ribs, Chicken & Sausage first. At least as good as it can be in an oven.
Have two 6 lb brisket flats. Need to cook both. Planning to bake in oven at 225*F. Each wrapped individually. Not touching. Cook for 6 hours? or cook for 12 hours?

So right now, you're on the road to disaster.
Good that you asked.

1) You don't wrap to start off with. You wrap to get through the "stall" although some don't.
From 165* to finish takes a long time. Wrapping speeds it up. It's called the Texas Crutch. A helper.

2) You do not go by time, you go by internal temp while monitoring cooker temp as well.

You'll want a two channel temp monitor. Without one of these, it's a lot of monkeying around and guessing.
Electric ovens often lie, so you need one channel to monitor cooking temp.
To set bark, all you need is glue (cooking oil or similar), salt (Kosher is best) and pepper (18 mesh if you can find it)
Wrap at 165* internal with butcher paper (not coated !!!) or heavy foil (18")
I pulled my last one at 203* internal and it was great (some pull at 195*)
Wrap in towel and rest in cooler for 30 min.

Optional :
Inject with Kitchen Basics beef broth on a 1" grid
How to cook Brisket in an oven:

Trim the brisket to a uniform fat layer - usually about1/4" or less.
Lay the brisket in foil, fat side up.
Dry rub desired spices - usually just salt and pepper.
Tightly double wrap the foil around the brisket.
Throw brisket in trash can.

Why would you oven a brisket?!?!
Originally Posted by Rifles And More
How to cook Brisket in an oven:

Trim the brisket to a uniform fat layer - usually about1/4" or less.
Lay the brisket in foil, fat side up.
Dry rub desired spices - usually just salt and pepper.
Tightly double wrap the foil around the brisket.
Throw brisket in trash can.

Why would you oven a brisket?!?!

Maybe that is the only way I have to cook it ?
Posted By: deflave Re: Noobie Brisket Question... - 07/21/23
This question is so white, it’s almost Jewish.
Get ya some liquid smoke to get that authentic flavor and aroma. 👍

And don’t forget the catsup
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Noobie Brisket Question... - 07/21/23
Originally Posted by deflave

(Halfassed answer^)

I only stopped in knowing you’d be here,

Correct once again.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Oven?

LOL, ya, you too.
My last flat on the grill was not award winning, I did not control the heat well enough, Dry, lots of Taco meat, My next attemp may finish up in my Masterbuilt electric……………(has ‘flave rolls his eyes)……………

02, let us know how it turns out.
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive

So right now, you're on the road to disaster.
Good that you asked.

1) You don't wrap to start off with. You wrap to get through the "stall" although some don't.
From 165* to finish takes a long time. Wrapping speeds it up. It's called the Texas Crutch. A helper.

2) You do not go by time, you go by internal temp while monitoring cooker temp as well.

You'll want a two channel temp monitor. Without one of these, it's a lot of monkeying around and guessing.
Electric ovens often lie, so you need one channel to monitor cooking temp.
To set bark, all you need is glue (cooking oil or similar), salt (Kosher is best) and pepper (18 mesh if you can find it)
Wrap at 165* internal with butcher paper (not coated !!!) or heavy foil (18")
I pulled my last one at 203* internal and it was great (some pull at 195*)
Wrap in towel and rest in cooler for 30 min.

Optional :
Inject with Kitchen Basics beef broth on a 1" grid

This is the gospel right here. Never wrap from the start. Red or Pink Butcher Paper is what you want.

Start watching YouTube vid's. Don't go overboard on the trim. Fat is where the flavor is.

You're done at 200-205° internal. Never RUB!!!! Always pat.
Originally Posted by Kenneth

(Halfassed answer^)

I only stopped in knowing you’d be here,

Correct once again.

^^^This dumb fugk has been trying to cook a brisket for five years now.

LOL
To the OP,

I would cook @ 350-375 for 30. Fat side down.

Another 30. Same temp. Fat side up.

Wrap tight and get the oven to 225. Pull when internal temp is 195-200 on a Thermapen.

Let rest one hour fat side up.

If you don’t have a Thermapen, go buy one.

And do not trim anything. A Flat by definition is already trimmed and this is why Flats are a tough place to start. You need as much fat as you can keep, otherwise you should just be doing a London Broil.
Originally Posted by Kenneth
My last flat on the grill was not award winning, I did not control the heat well enough, Dry, lots of Taco meat, My next attemp may finish up in my Masterbuilt electric……………(has ‘flave rolls his eyes)……………

02, let us know how it turns out.

Thanks for the tips, Kenneth.
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Lots of folks don’t care for smoked food.

Never met a single one.
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

Never met a single one.

After running a pit for 15 hours the last thing I eat is smoked anything. LOL

For at least a week.
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

Never met a single one.

When I was younger and eating at family redneck tables, what was served as smoked BBQ tasted like the ashes of the fire. It was NEVER good. It turned me off from ever seeking smoked meat again.

I wouldn't go near smoked meats for decades. I am now, at the age of 64, just getting into eating some well-cooked smoked meats. And, they are very good when done right.

I also do not eat sweet sauce of any manner on my meat. Properly cooked meat does not need any sauce slathered on it to make it palatable.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Oven?

LOL.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Noobie Brisket Question... - 07/21/23

That's no S H 1 T! First thing I thought of was that 5' 1" Jew I worked with for several years.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Noobie Brisket Question... - 07/21/23
I didn't think jews liked ovens....
Posted By: pullit Re: Noobie Brisket Question... - 07/21/23
Brisket
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My smoker identifies as a oven

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Noobie Brisket Question... - 07/21/23
To the OP,

Wrap tight and get the oven to 225. Pull when internal temp is 195-200 on a Thermapen.

And do not trim anything. A Flat by definition is already trimmed and this is why Flats are a tough place to start. You need as much fat as you can keep, otherwise you should just be doing a London Broil.

There are heretofore unimagined depths to this man.
Originally Posted by Esox357

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by Esox357

Fugger!
To the OP,

I thought all you used was a fork to check to see if a brisket is done?

I'm so confused now...

lol
Chef John's baked brisket.
Originally Posted by Rooster7
To the OP,

I'm so confused now...

lol

That’s BBQ on a packer (actual) brisket.
Originally Posted by Rooster7
To the OP,

I'm so confused now...

lol

That’s BBQ on a packer (actual) brisket.

Oh.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Noobie Brisket Question... - 07/21/23
Soaked a flat in saltwater for 3 hours, smoked at 225f until it hit 165, wrapped it in foils and cooked till it was 205F and it came out tough.
Any idea why? The opposite, fatty end was perfect done like that.
There are different grades of meat. Low grade beef can't be made to taste like a good grade of meat no matter what you do.
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Noobie Brisket Question... - 07/22/23
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Soaked a flat in saltwater for 3 hours, smoked at 225f until it hit 165, wrapped it in foils and cooked till it was 205F and it came out tough.
Any idea why? The opposite, fatty end was perfect done like that.

Same thing happened to me sans the saltwater soak but did everything else like you. Mine was one that was $3ish a pound from Sam's and the point end was great. Some might would say that cutting the brisket roughly in half so it could fit my little Weber was an issue. It probably would be better to cook it whole but my bigger grill was at another place. Sometimes its just the meat. I'm a brisket rookie but have smoked pork butts forever and some are just better than others.
Two 6 lb flats. Pat dry. Rub with avocado oil for sticker. Home made rub with salt, black pepper, garlic powder and brown sugar. Wrapped together in double foil 6-7 hours at 225*F until meat thermometer said 202*F to 208*F. Let it rest an hour. Sliced 3/8" thick. Six adults and a three year old ate more half of the result. Along with the last 2 lb bag of 2022's Obsession sweet corn and 2-3 pounds of fresh picked Seychelles green beans. Simple meal. No one left hungry.

Answer to the question I was fishing for in the OP: Two 6 lb flats (12 lbs total), cooked together, cook in the same time frame (6-7 hours) as one 6 lb flat. Not 12 hours that it takes for a 12 lb brisket.

Yes, use meat thermometer to check done. Our preference is that all parts of the cut are at least 200*F. Yes, there are people who do NOT like a lot of smoke flavor to their meats. I am married to one. In re: liquid smoke, it makes me puke, literally. Would I love to have a smoker someday? Yes sir. However, this was a freezer melt down salvage operation. Do what you gotta do, with the tools you have on hand...

Thank you to the folks who provided helpful suggestions. To the rest, "Bless your little hearts..."
Roast beef? Or steamed?

Brisket done in the oven can be great, we like it.

Purists piss me off with their virtue and arrogance.

I guess they only eat hamburger as burgers,
Or eggs, fried "sunny up".
Brisket is about the sorriest cut on a steer. It needs all the fat on it. Cook it with the fat on it to moisten and.flavor the meat. Cut the excess off when you slice it up to serve it. Don't cut all the fat off and then wonder why it is dried out and tough.
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Noobie Brisket Question... - 07/22/23
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
Brisket is about the sorriest cut on a steer. It needs all the fat on it. Cook it with the fat on it to moisten and.flavor the meat. Cut the excess off when you slice it up to serve it. Don't cut all the fat off and then wonder why it is dried out and tough.

Agree. I've only done maybe 3 briskets but I didn't trim them just on instinct. At least they still have plenty of fat on them.

The pork butts I have been getting at various grocery stores in the last little while have almost all of the fat cap trimmed off. We used to do the exact same thing as you with the brisket when we cut the butts up.....got rid of the excess fat then.
You may notice, they don't give it away.

I assume you're cooking them in an oven? If you smoke a brisket you should definitely trim it.
Posted By: 16penny Re: Noobie Brisket Question... - 07/22/23
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...p;id=102350349268814&mibextid=qC1gEa
Cook it with the fat on it to moisten and.flavor the meat.

The exterior fat cap does not in any way flavor or moisturize the interior meat.
© 24hourcampfire