Home
Posted By: 5sdad Bush's Beans - 08/27/23
I never cared for them long before this.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Bush's Beans - 08/27/23
Great “starter” beans.

Along with Showboat brand.

Doctor it up…
Posted By: Ben_Lurkin Re: Bush's Beans - 08/27/23
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Great “starter” beans.

Along with Showboat brand.

Doctor it up…

Exactly this. Add sausage bacon onions bell peppers spices, apple slices. You don’t eat those right out of the can unless you’re a GI or you’re gonna see the GI.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Bush's Beans - 08/27/23
Some like beans from the Bushes.

Some like beans off'n the poles
Posted By: leesway2 Re: Bush's Beans - 08/27/23
sweet baby rays sweet vidalia onion bbq sauce helps a lot of things.
Posted By: OGB Re: Bush's Beans - 08/27/23
Open can,

Grab a spoon.

If you're feeling fancy, you can even warm them up.
Posted By: Sako Re: Bush's Beans - 08/27/23
drain, add cooked sausage, ketchup, mustard, some onion and throw on the smoker for a couple of hours
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Bush's Beans - 08/27/23
Side note……

I don’t like “Boston” style beans slow cooked in an urn.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Bush's Beans - 08/27/23
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Don't encourage him.

He will go off on the apparent lack of QC on Van Camps.
Posted By: EdM Re: Bush's Beans - 08/27/23
They suck. Used to be Ranchers until we landed in Texas and HEB's charros get the win.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Bush's Beans - 08/27/23
Cambells.

Not what I consider baked beans, but an American staple.
As good cold from the can as any other way.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Bush's Beans - 08/27/23
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Don't encourage him.

He will go off on the apparent lack of QC on Van Camps.
I was trollin' for a slumlort.

Hopin' to get the real dope on how he grows alla them beans for Nana.

My one bush sucked this year, I think I got three beans off it. It's still alive though, but first frost should be in about 20 days.
Posted By: MartinStrummer Re: Bush's Beans - 08/27/23
For BBQ beans, I start with Van Camp's "Pork & Beans".
Saute diced up bacon, onions, and a clove or two of garlic.
Yeah, peppers too if you desire.
Stir into beans with a goodly dosage of BBQ sauce.
Put in a casserole dish, cover and heat at 300° for about an hour.
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Bush's Beans - 08/27/23
You guys that can eat beans are badasses .
Not kidding.
Posted By: 160user Re: Bush's Beans - 08/27/23
Originally Posted by OGB
Open can,

Grab a spoon.

Exactly! I carried the little cans in my fire pack for years. I preferred to sleep away from the crew anyway.
Posted By: pyscodog Re: Bush's Beans - 08/27/23
Eckridge jalapeno and cheese sausage cooked in the broiler then cut into small pieces. Make sure it got a nice crunchy burn on it. Saute a vidalia onion in butter till soft, add beans (i like the ones with jalapeno) and sausage, big scoop of brown sugar, add Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and a big squirt of mustard. Maybe a couple dash's of liquid smoke. Simmer on the grill or the stove. Makes a meal by itself.
Posted By: Riverc Re: Bush's Beans - 08/27/23
I like all kinds of beans eat a lot of it. Bush beans are ok I like several different flavors like the originals doctored up with ground meat onion etc...
Posted By: reivertom Re: Bush's Beans - 08/27/23
I like the little cans of Grillin Beans they have out. They are handy for fishing or something besides chips with a hotdog, etc.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Bush's Beans - 08/27/23
Geeez, don't any of you camp chefs add the essential ingredient? Molasses goes in Bush or Van Camp's Pork and Beans, or they just don't taste right. grin

L.W.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Bush's Beans - 08/27/23
Originally Posted by OGB
Open can,

Grab a spoon.

This.

Bush's is packed by a cannery about twenty miles from my house. At least the ones for distribution in this area.

Grocery Stores are like shopping at Sears. You never know what they are going to slap the Craftsman or Kenmore label on.

But anyway, the Bush's is our favorite brand of canned beans. I would have to get Momma to tell what our favorite flavor is. I can eat any of them.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Bush's Beans - 08/27/23
don't know but I would consider them baked beans out of the can but they're edible..
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Bush's Beans - 08/27/23
The only ones i eat when i feel like are the smokehouse beans.

They are good to me without being overly sugary.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Bush's Beans - 08/27/23
Van Camp is way better than Bush. Bush just has yuge marketing budget. They’re the Bartels and James of beans.
Posted By: erich Re: Bush's Beans - 08/27/23
Back when we worked.in the woods we'd pass a big can of what ever beans the boss brought, a loaf of bread, a big package of bologna and for.dessert pass a big can of peaches. One spoon and your jeans for napkins. Some.of.the best lunches I've eaten.
Posted By: 7mm_Loco Re: Bush's Beans - 08/27/23
sold skid loads of em at the Naperville Rib Fest in 96... highest profit item on our menu... doctored them up with a little pulled pork, onion and our Rub... cooked em in the BBQ Pit with green Hickory wood... folks got back in line after their meal to buy seconds...
Posted By: Skankhunt42 Re: Bush's Beans - 08/27/23
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Long before what?
Posted By: smokepole Re: Bush's Beans - 08/27/23
Originally Posted by ironbender
Van Camp is way better than Bush. Bush just has yuge marketing budget. They’re the Bartels and James of beans.

Do you put chili in your beans?
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Bush's Beans - 08/27/23
I was on a low potassium diet for a year or so. Couldn't have any kind of beans among many other of my favorite foods. My new kidney doctor said my old kidney doctor was - pardon me for this - full of beans and I didn't need to be on that diet. We like and buy Bush's variety. Had some yesterday, in fact.

One of my favorite breakfasts is the British classic of beans on toast. I think the Brits dote on Van Camps, but that's irrelevant. A slice of buttered toast, a healthy glob of warm baked beans and crowned with a fried egg. Add a link of sausage on the side if you like. Totally Brit and totally wonderful.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Bush's Beans - 08/27/23
🤮💀🤜
Posted By: plumbum Re: Bush's Beans - 08/27/23
Originally Posted by pyscodog
Eckridge jalapeno and cheese sausage cooked in the broiler then cut into small pieces. Make sure it got a nice crunchy burn on it. Saute a vidalia onion in butter till soft, add beans (i like the ones with jalapeno) and sausage, big scoop of brown sugar, add Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and a big squirt of mustard. Maybe a couple dash's of liquid smoke. Simmer on the grill or the stove. Makes a meal by itself.

Good grief and I think the beans are too sweet straight from the can.
Posted By: plumbum Re: Bush's Beans - 08/27/23
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I was on a low potassium diet for a year or so. Couldn't have any kind of beans among many other of my favorite foods. My new kidney doctor said my old kidney doctor was - pardon me for this - full of beans and I didn't need to be on that diet. We like and buy Bush's variety. Had some yesterday, in fact.

One of my favorite breakfasts is the British classic of beans on toast. I think the Brits dote on Van Camps, but that's irrelevant. A slice of buttered toast, a healthy glob of warm baked beans and crowned with a fried egg. Add a link of sausage on the side if you like. Totally Brit and totally wonderful.

I read Heinz brand is their favorite. About $5/can in the British food section of a local grocery store.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Bush's Beans - 08/27/23
1/2 lb of hamburger meat, brown it, drain it- dump in a can of Showboats, stir in some A-1 and splash of Red Gold catsup.
Posted By: duke61 Re: Bush's Beans - 08/27/23
Not bad for starters just season them to your liking, back in the 70's I use to live on Campbell's pork 'n beans, use to cut up hot dogs and plenty of cayenne pepper.
Originally Posted by slumlord
1/2 lb of hamburger meat, brown it, drain it- dump in a can of Showboats, stir in some A-1 and splash of Red Gold catsup.

Couple anchovy filets too.
Posted By: carrollco Re: Bush's Beans - 08/27/23
I got the baked beans recipe from my wife when we married. Use 2 cans of Showboats ( have substituted Van Camps in a pinch) into a casserole dish or cast iron Dutch oven. Add 3/4 cup Vadalia or yellow onions, green bell peppers chopped and sautéed with 4 strips of thick sliced Wrights bacon. All chopped up. Add 1 cup light brown sugar, 1/2 cup ketchup,couple dashes of Worcestershire and yellow mustard One can add another can of beans if you feeding a big crowd. You can add salt, pepper or crushed red or cayenne for a kick. Bake at 350* for hour. They will thicken after setting. I ve fed many a crowd with this recipe and my church always wants our beans tater salad and pimento cheese.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Bush's Beans - 08/27/23
Bushes Baked beans are not great. B&M baked beans are great.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Bush's Beans - 08/27/23
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Long before what?

The most recent iteration of the Peyton Manning and the dog commercial.
Posted By: EdM Re: Bush's Beans - 08/27/23
Originally Posted by plumbum

I read Heinz brand is their favorite. About $5/can in the British food section of a local grocery store.

It is.
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by plumbum

It is.

Yes...but if it's not spelled "beanz" on the can you buy in the states....it's not the same stuff.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Bush's Beans - 08/27/23
Originally Posted by smokepole

That would be wrong.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Bush's Beans - 08/27/23
Originally Posted by smokepole

That would be wrong.

It'd be better'n anchovy filets. Who the heck filets anchovies anyway?
© 24hourcampfire