Home
Posted By: luv2safari Mountain Lion Hunt - 08/31/23
I didn't draw any big game tags again here in my native state, so I bought a mountain lion tag.

I think I'll head to the dog pound and look for 3-4 tough looking recruits that I'm sure would hate cats. grin
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Mountain Lion Hunt - 08/31/23
Our whippets are so prey driven they'd probably chase one for you.

Of course, they'd catch it and be eaten long before we could catch up to them.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Mountain Lion Hunt - 08/31/23
I have a spot.

I've seen cats there several times without using dogs. A trickle of water comes out of an old mine tunnel, and deer use it frequently. The cats do too. laugh
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Mountain Lion Hunt - 08/31/23
I'd sit and watch it all day in dark night periods of the month. I had a bud who arrowed two while he was watching a water hole ifor deer in October. They came in an hour apart.
That's pretty much my plan, jag. I know the spot real well and have a hiding spot scoped out.

I hope the guides don't hit it with dog packs.
Posted By: poboy Re: Mountain Lion Hunt - 08/31/23
Are bobcats legal to take at that same time?
Posted By: MOGC Re: Mountain Lion Hunt - 08/31/23
Maybe do a little deer distress calling around that area? I don't know much about mountain lions, do they pay attention to scent and use the wind? I call quite a few bobcats every year, bobcats don't often pay much attention to scent. Bobcats hunt with their eyes and will pick off the slightest movement in a heartbeat. Bobcats hear well and do pay attention to noise. But bobcats don't seem to pay much attention to the wind and scents. I have had bobcats close and directly downwind and they didn't seem to notice scent at all. I don't know that I have ever had a bobcat throw his nose in the air like a coyote or deer when they smell human scent. Are mountain lions like that?
Posted By: 673 Re: Mountain Lion Hunt - 08/31/23
I often buy a Cougar tag, I don't run dogs, but it is by opportunity that one steps out in front of you.
It happened to me and I shot one, I could of dropped a couple more when I was without a tag.

Good luck on tagging one of the most incredible animals on this Continent.
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Mountain Lion Hunt - 08/31/23
Can you put a camera up to see if/when cats are using it?
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Mountain Lion Hunt - 08/31/23
Stake out a chicken as bait!
Posted By: 673 Re: Mountain Lion Hunt - 08/31/23
Several years ago my Son had 3 of them hanging around his tree stand, they were there for probably an hour, a mother and 2 pretty big Kittens that were probably 60-80 lbs.
Quite the experience for my Son to observe them watching him sit in the tree, they are curious.

I was on the other side of a large swamp, but there were people camping only 400 yds away, we could hear their kids yelling and dogs barking, oblivious to the big Cats nearby.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Mountain Lion Hunt - 08/31/23
When I was a kid we ran cats with dogs, we would get 1 or 2 on a good week, back then the County paid a $ 50.00 Bounty and the Colorado Wool Growers Ass. Paid a $50.00 Bounty on mountain Lions.

Bought my first pickup a used 1948 ford when i was 14 years old with my Bounty Money.

The Cats I have hunted Bobcats and Mountain Lions hunt with their Eyes and Ears not so much with their Nose, YMMV Rio7
Posted By: MAC Re: Mountain Lion Hunt - 08/31/23
You can call them in with a predator call
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Mountain Lion Hunt - 08/31/23
I have called in 3 Cats in the last 20 years while calling Coyotes, suprised the hell out of me each time, never fired a shot. Rio7
Posted By: MOGC Re: Mountain Lion Hunt - 08/31/23
Originally Posted by RIO7
When I was a kid we ran cats with dogs, we would get 1 or 2 on a good week, back then the County paid a $ 50.00 Bounty and the Colorado Wool Growers Ass. Paid a $50.00 Bounty on mountain Lions.

Bought my first pickup a used 1948 ford when i was 14 years old with my Bounty Money.

The Cats I have hunted Bobcats and Mountain Lions hunt with their Eyes and Ears not so much with their Nose, YMMV Rio7

My son got the wants for a new shotgun. I am a Benelli/Beretta shotgun guy (love old Browning Auto Fives too) and the kid decided he wanted a new Benelli autoloader. At the time he was in college, had a truck payment, and a high-maintenance girlfriend so money was tight. That winter we targeted bobcats and by the end of furbearer season, he had plenty of fur money to buy that new Benelli.
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Mountain Lion Hunt - 08/31/23
We had a lease for twenty two years between Breckinridge and Strawn, Texas. Between my two brothers and myself we saw adult long tail cats and cubs many times. I’m thinking 8-10 times real time and many more times on trail cams. Seems we saw bobcats several times per season. That’s some pretty wild country there to only have hills and not mountainous terrain. Saw lots of skeletal remains of their hunting success.
Good luck w your hunt. They’re pretty ghostlike.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Mountain Lion Hunt - 08/31/23
I can tell you a couple things. The most important, is I am the worst mtn lion hunter in the world. There is a small herd/band of blacktail that call my canyon home in the winter. Since Calif banned ML hunting in '72, lion population is up deer pop is down drastically. Duh. Anyway, ML haunt the canyon every winter preying on that struggling band of deer. Mountain lion do hunt for sport. From the kills I have observed, they do prefer to kill bucks. Although, 4 winters ago, my packer friend across the river had one of his horses attacked. I have set up, paying attention to wind, cover etc trying to get a look at one, over a fresh 'sport' kill. Failed every time. Set up a game cam, totally and completely nocturnal, they do return to the scene of the crime. How I would ever see one in daylight, I have no idea. If it's legal, I'd think about going on night shift.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Mountain Lion Hunt - 08/31/23
Originally Posted by luv2safari
I didn't draw any big game tags again here in my native state, so I bought a mountain lion tag.

I think I'll head to the dog pound and look for 3-4 tough looking recruits that I'm sure would hate cats. grin

Big change here on Mtn Lions this year

Anyone with a small game permit/combo license can take a Lion

Previously you needed to draw a tag.....notify DWR if kill is made

Then if quota was met...that unit/area was closed for lion hunting

They seem to think we have an excess cat population ?

I didn't read the fine print as to any length of the 'season'

Thinking too the Lion outfitters may be a bit pissed off with this change

https://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting/main-hunting-page/cougars.html
Posted By: poboy Re: Mountain Lion Hunt - 08/31/23
I had a place just south of Mingus. I saw a couple of lions and
trapped many a bobcat.
Originally Posted by poboy
Are bobcats legal to take at that same time?

Only if in trapping season and with a trapping permit...
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Mountain Lion Hunt - 08/31/23
Sounds like a plan on the old mine place there.

Hope you get one.
Originally Posted by Whiptail
Can you put a camera up to see if/when cats are using it?

No, not during or near hunting season, but I can when the big game seasons are over.

But, this is B I G wide open country. Trail cams are not as useful as back east or in farming areas.
Posted By: k22hornet Re: Mountain Lion Hunt - 08/31/23
Check out this web site-http://www.rain-shadow.com/, for lion hunting information and calls.
Posted By: centershot Re: Mountain Lion Hunt - 08/31/23
Here's a couple I caught on a game camera on an elk waterhole a couple years ago. Never did see them while I was sitting on it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by centershot
Here's a couple I caught on a game camera on an elk waterhole a couple years ago. Never did see them while I was sitting on it.

Two Cool!
cool cool

Big Tom drinking and his lady keeping watch
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Mountain Lion Hunt - 09/01/23
Originally Posted by centershot

Very cool to see a male and female together!

Ed
Posted By: crittrgittr Re: Mountain Lion Hunt - 09/01/23
I've called in 2 in Nevada and one got killed , the other presented no opportunity at a shot. We were calling coyotes.
© 24hourcampfire