Home
Posted By: 79S Catching the big waves - 09/11/23
Surfing where would you go to catch the big waves? Hawaii? Florida? California? Australia? South Africa? What says the surfers on here??
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Catching the big waves - 09/11/23
Portugal. They got some pretty gals and good food there too. The waves make my huevos shrink back up inside though.

Where ever there are less sharks.
Originally Posted by brownpapabear
Where ever there are less sharks.
I'm guessing when surfing 80' waves sharks are the least of one's worries.
Posted By: RickBin Re: Catching the big waves - 09/11/23
There’s big, and then there is BIG.

Places like Nazaré, Jaws, Teahupoo, Mavericks are in another stratosphere, even for tow-in.

15-foot Pipeline is big. 20-foot Waimea is big.

50 Nazaré is unfathomable in comparison.

Look up Teahupoo on YouTube.
Posted By: DMc Re: Catching the big waves - 09/11/23
Attended U of Hawaii. Saw what I considered big waves on the North Shore. (Ave. 14') Can't even imagine a 95' wave.
Posted By: 7887mm08 Re: Catching the big waves - 09/11/23
Rode out 28 footers on a 560 ft navy ship, CAN NOT IMAGINE 50 FT WAVE ON A 8 FT SURFBOARD!
Posted By: deflave Re: Catching the big waves - 09/11/23
Ok, Bodhi.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Catching the big waves - 09/11/23
Hell no!
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Catching the big waves - 09/11/23
Winter storm waves at Waimea are huge but not 95’ high huge!
Let's not forget the Cortes Bank break. Maybe not as big as Nazare, but plenty of pucker factor there

This is “normal” big. Huge Cloudbreak. Barrels you can drive a semi in. The last wave in this video is absolutely sick. Wave of a lifetime for ANY surfer.

None of this approaches even 30 feet.
Posted By: rainshot Re: Catching the big waves - 09/11/23
No thanks, Rick. I choose Life.
Posted By: huntsonora Re: Catching the big waves - 09/11/23
Laird Hamilton’s ride at Teahupoo is the gnarliest thing I’ve ever seen. There’s just something about that wave breaking on a shallow reef that would scare the hell out of me
The Laird Hamilton Teahupoo mind-blower:

Posted By: 79S Re: Catching the big waves - 09/11/23
I love body surfing, probably the best for riding waves. No interface between a person and the wave. Biggest I've ever done, and it was about the scariest thing but I was a teenager, was about 9'-12' south swell in SoCal. 4 rides and we were pushed a mile north or so from where we started. No ride out on a jetski.

However, this dude is Cray-Cray to the max. Uses a hand board too, but that's OK by me.

Posted By: huntsonora Re: Catching the big waves - 09/11/23
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I love body surfing, probably the best for riding waves. No interface between a person and the wave. Biggest I've ever done, and it was about the scariest thing but I was a teenager, was about 9'-12' south swell in SoCal. 4 rides and we were pushed a mile north or so from where we started. No ride out on a jetski.

However, this dude is Cray-Cray to the max. Uses a hand board too, but that's OK by me.

Jeff Clark paddling out and surfing that place alone is nuts. It's sharky AF! Dangerous wave too. Killed Mark Foo in the mid 90's

Hell, Cortez Bank is also sharky AF! Great Whites love both places
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Catching the big waves - 09/11/23
[Linked Image from i.ytimg.com]

Teahupoo is a good place to get your nads checked for size.
Originally Posted by huntsonora

Jeff Clark paddling out and surfing that place alone is nuts. It's sharky AF! Dangerous wave too. Killed Mark Foo in the mid 90's

We always heard stories of Whites in the area when I lived and played in the waves in SoCal. Including a known attack on an ocean swimmer off La Jolla.

Then Shark Week comes along they tell us it's a pupping area for them!

Glad I had moved out well before having that knowledge.
Posted By: Jcubed Re: Catching the big waves - 09/11/23

We always heard stories of Whites in the area when I lived and played in the waves in SoCal. Including a known attack on an ocean swimmer off La Jolla.

Oh the bliss of kelp beds...
Originally Posted by Jcubed

Oh the bliss of kelp beds...

Yeah,

learning to SCUBA dive in NorCal was fun too. And I was studying fish biology at the time and knew what was out there!
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Catching the big waves - 09/15/23
Dunno any of you wankers ever tried knee/belly boards or body surfing, but there's a famous spot in S. California known as The Wedge. Been there and crashed a few times, barrel of fun it is.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

[Linked Image from ocregister.com]

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
© 24hourcampfire