Home
Posted By: High_Noon Where do you Stand on... - 09/28/23
...amateurs asking to borrow your saw? I just had a relative ask to borrow my 261 Pro saw to use on his new lake house property, which is an acre. I told him it wasn't working and I was planning on taking it into the shop. I then suggested he purchase a 170 homeowner or possibly an Echo - if you need a saw, you buy a saw, you never ask to borrow another man's saw. I would only loan my saw to an experienced faller, who I know would respect it. What say you?
They get the Craftsman. No way they can have my Stihl.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Where do you Stand on... - 09/28/23
Hopefully your kin doesn't follow the hunters campfire forum....
Posted By: skeen Re: Where do you Stand on... - 09/28/23
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: EdM Re: Where do you Stand on... - 09/28/23
Nevered happened with me.
Neither a borrower or lender be.

Pretty much hold to that, there are some guys I'd lend some guns.
Almost none stand a chance of borrowing a saw.
Including my Dad. (I'd go cut for him first)
Running them dull, cheap gas, bar oil....other than that he is
better than most.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Where do you Stand on... - 09/28/23
Originally Posted by SCgman1
Hopefully your kin doesn't follow the hunters campfire forum....

Nope. Even if he did, I'd tell him what I stated above: You never ask to borrow a man's saw.
Posted By: mart Re: Where do you Stand on... - 09/28/23
There are people I won’t loan anything to but most folks are pretty careful with other’s tools. In the end it’s just stuff. Helping a neighbor out with the loan of a tool doesn’t really scare me. I’d be cautious about loaning out my tractor and backhoe without having the borrower demonstrate some skill with it first. Or at least not without giving him a block of instruction first if he’d never used one.
Originally Posted by High_Noon
You never ask to borrow a man's saw.

This. Only my dad would I let borrow mine. He taught me to run them so he and I are completely on the same page with how a saw is used. By saying no, your helping someone not end up in a spot where oversight on their part could cost them $500-1000.
Posted By: Teal Re: Where do you Stand on... - 09/28/23
I was taught as a kid.

You never ask to borrow a man's chainsaw or deer rifle.

You never mess with a man's chainsaw or deer rifle, all other pranks are ok.

The only thing lower than a thief, is one who steals a man's chainsaw or deer rifle.
Originally Posted by mart
There are people I won’t loan anything to but most folks are pretty careful with other’s tools. In the end it’s just stuff. Helping a neighbor out with the loan of a tool doesn’t really scare me. I’d be cautious about loaning out my tractor and backhoe without having the borrower demonstrate some skill with it first. Or at least not without giving him a block of instruction first if he’d never used one.

I agree, but a Stihl Pro saw is another story.

I made the mistake of loaning my 261 to my idiot brother ONCE - on his very first cut, he destroyed the blade and the chain. He didn't pay for the damage either.
I've got 1 neighbor, and 1 friend, that I'd loan almost anything to.
Anything they borrow returns in at least as good of shape as it left - and, they know what they're doing.
Pretty much anyone else (other than the kids) can KMA!
Certain capable people, sure. Otherwise I’d probably cut whatever they needed cuttin if they were a neighbor.
If I didn't think they could handle it I'd tell them "No, I don't loan it out". Wouldn't feel the need to lie about it.
Never loan your saw to anyone. I lent mine to a trustee from the state prison who was supposed to go out and clean up tiny cemeteries in the county. He brought it back looking like he plowed a field with it and the bar in one hand and the chain in the other. Had to buy new parts.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Where do you Stand on... - 09/28/23
Nope.
Originally Posted by hillestadj
If I didn't think they could handle it I'd tell them "No, I don't loan it out". Wouldn't feel the need to lie about it.

This would have been a better way for me to handle the request.
Posted By: Rogue Re: Where do you Stand on... - 09/28/23
I loaned a saw to my son that was working chocker setter.

He had a weekend side job clearing some land. It got ripped off out of his truck. He showed up to tell me about it with a slightly up graded stihl.
Posted By: Coyote10 Re: Where do you Stand on... - 09/28/23
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
They get the Craftsman. No way they can have my Stihl.

More like they can take the Stihl but leave the Echo.
Posted By: logger Re: Where do you Stand on... - 09/28/23
I never loan tools. Depending on the person asking, I'll go with the tool and do the job myself. Same policy for the dozer, excavator and dump truck.
Posted By: okie Re: Where do you Stand on... - 09/28/23
no loan
Nope,i don t borrow,i don t lend.
...amateurs asking to borrow your saw? I just had a relative ask to borrow my 261 Pro saw to use on his new lake house property, which is an acre. I told him it wasn't working and I was planning on taking it into the shop. I then suggested he purchase a 170 homeowner or possibly an Echo - if you need a saw, you buy a saw, you never ask to borrow another man's saw. I would only loan my saw to an experienced faller, who I know would respect it. What say you?

Lying comes easy to Texans. Personally I would have told them I don't loan my saw out and I wouldn't. I'm this case I would flat out tell them that, or if it's a simple job maybe do it for them. Maybe. As for the recommendation of what saw that should get I completely agree and would suggest the same
Originally Posted by mart

I agree, but a Stihl Pro saw is another story.

I made the mistake of loaning my 261 to my idiot brother ONCE - on his very first cut, he destroyed the blade and the chain. He didn't pay for the damage either.

My mistake on the earlier post.
I'd never loan my saw.
But if I had crappy stuff like Stihls it would be OK.
Guess everyone should own a beater saw.

😉😉😉😉😉😉😉

Maybe I'd loan one of the 10-10s.
If they break it, I'm not out much.
If they run it for long, they will never ask again.
Personally, I would loan a saw to most anyone that would ask.

If they are a good guy with knowledge... they would get a good well tuned saw and the oil and gas to go with it.

If they are not a good guy... they would get the $40 Craftsman tuned for extra vibration... and the oil and gas to go with it.

Never turn down a man in need... but that does not mean you have to solve all of his problems as well.
Posted By: bkraft Re: Where do you Stand on... - 09/28/23
Before I had a saw, if anything need cut I'd ask the saw owner to drop it and cut into manageable pieces. I'd pay for time and fuel. If payment was refused(which often times it was for small stuff) they would find a handle of there whiskey of choice on their back porch. I would never run some one else's saw.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Where do you Stand on... - 09/28/23
Lots of people are comfortable borrowing others tools. I have a mechanic for a neighbor that doesn't have so much as a socket and ratchet on his entire property. Every time he needs a cordless skilsaw or a drill he knocks on my door. I always say yes and often help him do his task. But, my wife and I recognize he asks a whole lot more than he offers. As far as the chainsaw, that is a hard no anymore.

People that don't have one probably don't know how to run one either so will only abuse your saw.
© 24hourcampfire