Posted By: High_Noon Chupacabra? - 10/01/23
In the spirit off all the inane threads as of late, I submit my entry:

Chupacabra: Yes or No?
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Chupacabra? - 10/01/23
Yes, they do not exist. Maybe.
Posted By: paddlejon Re: Chupacabra? - 10/01/23
I have 1 in the kennel
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Chupacabra? - 10/01/23
I've never seen one. They could exist. Is there a season on them? Antler/spike restrictions??
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Chupacabra? - 10/01/23
First time I ever heard the word was on an X-Files episode.

We had an old guy at work, born on the South side of the Rio Grande, but was raised on a South Texas Ranch as an orphan earning his keep from 10 years of age. (After his Daddy ran away with the rancher's wife)

Anyhow, with a smirk, I asked old Pedro what he could tell me about the chupacabras. That grizzled 60 year old Mexican turned white. He left the room without saying a word. I suspect Pedro was a believer.
Posted By: viking Re: Chupacabra? - 10/01/23
Yep, I believe I saw one in cedar park Texas.
Back in the 90s I lived in an old farmhouse in rural southeast Idaho. I would listen to Art Bell at night, and during the height of the chupacabra hype I'd take my dogs outside at night while listening to his show to do their business (they'd haul ass and not come back until morning smelling of skunk and old badger guts if I turned them loose). Even though I knew better, it was hard sometimes to not let the imagination run wild. Fun times!
Posted By: shootem Re: Chupacabra? - 10/01/23
Breached the subject with a wet back worker at a brief employment. Don’t remember the question but my answer was chupacabra. He immediately looked at me eyes wide open and asked What you say??!!! I repeated “chupacabra” messing with him. He wouldn’t even talk about it any more. Just locked up like the boogeyman had him. It ain’t a funny subject with the immigrants.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Chupacabra? - 10/01/23
Yes

I’ve been that high before
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Chupacabra? - 10/01/23
Saw one at Walmart yesterday afternoon. 😁
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Chupacabra? - 10/01/23
Braised Chupacabra taint tossed in truffle aioli is other worldly.
Originally Posted by navlav8r

When did they start selling live pets??
Posted By: Verylargeboots Re: Chupacabra? - 10/01/23
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Originally Posted by navlav8r

When did they start selling live pets??

Goldfish bro.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Chupacabra? - 10/01/23
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Braised Chupacabra taint tossed in truffle aioli is other worldly.

Somehow I'm not surprised you're a taint connoisseur. Are you a ferndock as well?
Posted By: rong Re: Chupacabra? - 10/01/23
I hear -tell South Texas is loaded with them.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Chupacabra? - 10/01/23
Have one that does a good job with pitbulls and other azzholes. It sleeps in the guest room bathtub. It snores loudly.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Chupacabra? - 10/01/23
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Have one that does a good job with pitbulls and other azzholes. It sleeps in the guest room bathtub. It snores loudly.
DD,
Pictures please. I want to see if it is warm blooded, or cold blooded. I have seen what passes for pets in your AO.

Shades of "Miami Vice". LOL
Posted By: gunzo Re: Chupacabra? - 10/01/23
Chicken fried with biscuits & milk gravy.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Chupacabra? - 10/01/23
I saw a sasquatch walking one on a leash...downtown Portland.
Posted By: 7mm_Loco Re: Chupacabra? - 10/01/23
i saw one drinkin' a Pina' Colada At Trader Vics... His hair was perfect!...
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Chupacabra? - 10/01/23
“I saw Lon Chaney…Aaahoooo werewolves of London!!”
Posted By: reivertom Re: Chupacabra? - 10/01/23
I saw one on a leash in a local Walmart at 1:00 AM the night of Welfare check day. The lady walking it was uglier than the Chupacabra......come to think about it, it might have been her kid.
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Chupacabra? - 10/01/23
I might be mistaken, probably am, but I always thought a chupacabra was a coati mundi, sometimes called a ring tail cat. They live in bunches in trees kinda like monkeys.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Chupacabra? - 10/01/23
Originally Posted by 45_100
I might be mistaken, probably am, but I always thought a chupacabra was a coati mundi, sometimes called a ring tail cat. They live in bunches in trees kinda like monkeys.

Oh please n i g g a.
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Chupacabra? - 10/01/23
What. You mean like a chupacabra burrito
Seems like it would be kinda gamey
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Chupacabra? - 10/01/23
Killed one behind my house about 12 or so years ago, 65-70 yard shot with a Romanian AKM.

Lost the pic in a phone upgrade. They couldn't transfer my pics from a flip phone to a smart phone.

A did that poor 'yote a favor. Damnedest case of the mange I've ever seen.
Posted By: IZH27 Re: Chupacabra? - 10/01/23
Once upon a time on another outdoor site there was a thread on “your spirit animal”. I read a few of the posts and with eyes rolling decided to have a little fun.

Looks like I pretty much ended up entertaining myself but it was worth it. I posted that my “spirit animal” was half Chupacapra and half Jackalope.I just need to come up with a drawing of what that would look like.

I think that the comment got one like so at least one guy other than me had a sense of humor. I had and have a hard time believing that grown men would believe in “spirit animals”.
Posted By: GrizzlyOne Re: Chupacabra? - 10/01/23
Five years ago I had left the Farm for a bit and driving back in, saw a white patch out in the pasture near the Gate. Went out with a Buzzard already perched on a fence post nearby. It was one of my Billy Goats and he had been emasculated, yes castrated. I got him back in the Barn as he was in in shock. I called a good friend and asked him what he thought it might be. He opined probably dogs. Well no such critters around the place. I then looked across at the fence line and there was a Coyote. Went in and got my CZ 17 HMR and steadied the rifle on my PU in the carport. Lazed at 117 yards, I aimed for a center lung shot. He whirled at the shot running back along the fence line. He did a "Half Gainer" straight up in the air, dying on the spot. I had hit him a little lower than I had aimed, and drilled him thru the heart. The 17 HMR will do the job, and drops a bit after 100 yards. My "Chupacabra" "Goat Sucker" story. I'll try posting a picture later, can't find all my passwords for that right now.The Goat survived the encounter with a bit of that cool Blue Wound Sealer compound.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Chupacabra? - 10/01/23
I had to Google...

Never seen one.

Too cold in the Virginia I reckon.

Good eating?
Posted By: GrizzlyOne Re: Chupacabra? - 10/01/23
https://i.imgur.com/96DGOkM.jpg

My Cupacabra with my CZ 17 HNR
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Chupacabra? - 10/01/23
Originally Posted by IZH27
Once upon a time on another outdoor site there was a thread on “your spirit animal”. I read a few of the posts and with eyes rolling decided to have a little fun.

Looks like I pretty much ended up entertaining myself but it was worth it. I posted that my “spirit animal” was half Chupacapra and half Jackalope.I just need to come up with a drawing of what that would look like.

I think that the comment got one like so at least one guy other than me had a sense of humor. I had and have a hard time believing that grown men would believe in “spirit animals”.

Oh ho...I see you haven't perused the clown thread.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Chupacabra? - 10/01/23
Oh yes - and clearly some folks have not spent heavy time outdoors in the SW - thus the question. Often encountered here in SE Arizona and once experienced, never forgotten. However, reports that the meat is good eating are false. The nastiest critters also tend to taste nasty.
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Chupacabra? - 10/01/23
As I think about this, I can understand how the coati mundi could contribute to the legend of the chupacabra. If you have never seen a bunch of them it is an experience. They are noisy and agile. Live in groups of usually ten to twenty and you will usually hear them before you see them. Imagine twenty squirrels in a tree chattering as you pass by. Kind of a cross between a raccoon and a house cat. It is kind of an eerie feeling. Don’t know how else to describe it. They can be hard on domestic chickens but they don’t usually live in close proximity to people.

There are some things you do not eat. Chupacabras are one of them. Unless you are making Chinese food. Chinese might eat them.
Posted By: jnyork Re: Chupacabra? - 10/01/23
Guy next door to me is married to one.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Chupacabra? - 10/01/23
Here y’all go. Knock yourselves out…..

https://archive.org/details/artbellshows
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Chupacabra? - 10/01/23
No.
As I think about this, I can understand how the coati mundi could contribute to the legend of the chupacabra. If you have never seen a bunch of them it is an experience. They are noisy and agile. Live in groups of usually ten to twenty and you will usually hear them before you see them. Imagine twenty squirrels in a tree chattering as you pass by. Kind of a cross between a raccoon and a house cat. It is kind of an eerie feeling. Don’t know how else to describe it. They can be hard on domestic chickens but they don’t usually live in close proximity to people.

I am not sure how that relates to a mythical creature called "Sucker of Goats", claimed to be responsible for scores of goats suffering exsanguination. A legend originally out of Puerto Rico where, as far as I can determine, the coatimundi does not exist.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Chupacabra? - 10/01/23
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

I am not sure how that relates to a mythical creature called "Sucker of Goats", claimed to be responsible for scores of goats suffering exsanguination. A legend originally out of Puerto Rico where, as far as I can determine, the coatimundi does not exist.
Locals describe it as a blood sucking dervish - two adjacent points of penetration of flesh.
Posted By: justin10mm Re: Chupacabra? - 10/01/23
Superstitious Latinos watched the new movie Species. Slum dogs killed some goats and chickens. Two and two together equals an alien blood sucking monster.

The people that think mangy coyotes are some kind of undocumented cryptid are simply mouth breathing morons.
Posted By: Slope77 Re: Chupacabra? - 10/01/23
Can’t say as I know much about it. Have a brother who is a farmer, saw some weird critters. My take is that they are mostly manged coyotes. I suspect they get stressed/terminal and it changes their movements/behavior.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Chupacabra? - 10/01/23

I believe so........

Bigfoot too

UFO's...........yep
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Chupacabra? - 10/02/23
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Chupacabra? - 10/02/23
In California it's called the chupaverga. But it's not rare, unfortunately.
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Chupacabra? - 10/02/23
Bigfoot too...what a crock of s hittt.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Chupacabra? - 10/02/23

This
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Chupacabra? - 10/02/23
Originally Posted by justin10mm
Superstitious Latinos watched the new movie Species. Slum dogs killed some goats and chickens. Two and two together equals an alien blood sucking monster.

The people that think mangy coyotes are some kind of undocumented cryptid are simply mouth breathing morons.
Yes, I know that Google says the first documentation of the chuoacabra myth was in 1995, after Species came out.

Color me skeptical.

That old Mexican I mentioned was born circa WW II. He was 50 years plus old in 95. The name referred to SOMETHING he feared from his childhood.

Just because today's researchers can not find written evidence of a legend before 1995, does not mean it did not exist in remote, non-urban legends.
Posted By: justin10mm Re: Chupacabra? - 10/02/23
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by justin10mm

Yes, I know that Google says the first documentation of the chuoacabra myth was in 1995, after Species came out.

Color me skeptical.

That old Mexican I mentioned was born circa WW II. He was 50 years plus old in 95. The name referred to SOMETHING he feared from his childhood.

Just because today's researchers can not find written evidence of a legend before 1995, does not mean it did not exist in remote, non-urban legends.

Boogeyman stories abound in all cultures and locals. Many of their origins are forgotten to time. Things like chupacabra or moth man are only unique because they're relatively recent.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Chupacabra? - 10/02/23
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: CCCC Re: Chupacabra? - 10/02/23
See that there - - - - it is true.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Chupacabra? - 10/02/23
The commoners of Mexico are among the most superstitious people in the world. Their folklore is full of mysterious creatures and beings. Sometimes such stories are used to scare children into behaving and I suspect a few grow up never learning the truth. I realize that Mexican culture is not Puerto Rican culture, and even tbe spoken dialects of Spanish differ...but there must be a lot of common features in their legends, beliefs, and folklore.
© 24hourcampfire