Home
Posted By: wabigoon Any Truckers on the 'fire? - 10/13/23
Merle Haggard, "Movin' on."
Thank you for what you do.
I’d did for awhile back in the 70’s. A black cab over Pete. The movie convoy was loosely based on my adventures back then. Pissed me off that they cast kristoffersen for the role, when I looked so much like Burt Reynolds’s back then.
Somebody hast to carry the freight. Thank you truckers.
You’re very welcome Wabi.
"Sixteen wheels, and a dozen roses."
Not a truck driver…

I would like a set of the head phones with the boom mic to use while walking about the Walmarks…

#handsfree
Originally Posted by wabigoon
"Sixteen wheels, and a dozen roses."

It's 18 wheels, wabigoon.
When it comes to getting the god damn cows moved from home and back I love the truckers.

Much more so when they are hauling them away to spring pasture rather than back home for winter.....lol
The old gravel trucks had solid rubber tires, and wood spokes.
Posted By: 79S Re: Any Truckers on the 'fire? - 10/13/23
Good night kind pards…
The old gravel trucks had solid rubber tires, and wood spokes.

The good ol days.
Roll on 16 wheeler…..Roll on!
I drove over the road for 8 years, mostly delivering parts for the BMW SUV from El Paso to the BMW plant in Greer SC.
Stayed out on the road 15 days in a row and got 2 days off. Tough job but I liked it. Loved driving those desert roads of west Texas, I 20 and I 10.

"I got me ten forward gears, and a Georgia overdrive
I take them little white pills, and my eyes are open wide..."
Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’d did for awhile back in the 70’s. A black cab over Pete. The movie convoy was loosely based on my adventures back then. Pissed me off that they cast kristoffersen for the role, when I looked so much like Burt Reynolds’s back then.

Kris as Rubber Duck, and Ernest Borgnine as a bad, bad guy.
Very unusual movie, it was based on, and named after a hit song from the year before. Normally the movie comes first and the song comes later.
Ali McGraw was not the greatest actress in the world.
Kris had a girl friend, or a "F**k Buddy" at every truck stop.
Lots of 26 wheelers one the roads here now - sugar beet harvest is in full swing.
Posted By: deflave Re: Any Truckers on the 'fire? - 10/13/23
Somebody hast to carry the freight. Thank you truckers.

^^^Lot lizard. ^^^
Moving machinery (factories) mostly local and short haul in the western states. Six, 10, and 18 wheelers are pretty much standard... the real work begins when you count axels rather than wheels. But I well remember the days of keeping multiple logbooks and avoiding the scales, changing your own tires, and using winches and down boards to load. When bridge laws and clearances were the most important aspect of your trips and just hoping those pilot cars fore and aft knew the area and what they were doing.

Phil
"But nothing bothers me tonight
I can dodge all the scales allright!
Six days on the road and I'm a gonna make it home tonight..."

I dodged scales two dozen times. It is a real art form. You have to know some good back roads.
Damn, I do miss that job.
Old truckers never die.........

They just get a new Peter built.............
Still holding my class A the last 20 years ..yet I have never drove in the summer time...:(
Posted By: RandyR Re: Any Truckers on the 'fire? - 10/14/23
I am still running but not OTR like when I first started. Done a few years OTR, local, then driveaway for many years on firetrucks nationwide and now handling transportation for a company that services a local defense contractor. Finding good young drivers is pretty tough so I am still out there running stuff with armor.
When I was working for G&P Trucking, five years ago, my manager told me that the self driving trucks were the way of the future. Because they could not find 25 year olds who could go 11 hours a day without texting on their Iphones.
He told me that in the future, the driver would pull away from the dock and get out and shut the doors. He would drive the 5 miles to the interstate. Then, he would put the truck on autopilot and he could go sit on the bunk and send text messages on the Iphone.
The first self-driving truck. 2017.

Did it for a few years. Long enough to realize it wasn't for me. I can't imagine the trouble companies have finding drivers now. Except for the foreigners most people under 35 don't want to work these days
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Any Truckers on the 'fire? - 10/14/23
Only drive my own equipment. Low bed to transport my heavy equipment and dumps to transport materials to the jobs. I don’t have the temperament to drive OTR.
© 24hourcampfire