Home
So the time has come that I need to start looking at a new truck. I have a 2006 2500 Crew Cab LT3 Duramax (LBZ) I bought new then. The engine has been fantastic, not one issue. It's all the other items around the engine that's nickel and diming me. I'm on the fence as to whether I want another diesel due to all of the smog BS. On that same thought, I DO NOT want a gas motor with active fuel management and all of it's issues with engine damage. The most I'm hauling is a 10K tractor and as much firewood as I can get in the bed.

I mainly concerned with longevity and durability as I don't swap vehicles often. I'm planning on buying new even with the stupid expensive vehicle costs these days.

What says the 'fire?
Easy. Ford with the 7.3L gasoline engine.
Originally Posted by walt501

Well damn!
I just knew that you'd recommend a Tundra!!

This for sure. Long bed
Toyota!!

That is the direction I would go. I'd go 1-ton though .. combination of options I want doesn't seem to be available on a 3/4 ton.

If I didn't need .. or I could say if I decide I don't need .. at least a 3/4 ton, then I'd probably snag a Jeep Gladiator since they seem to be the biggest truck still available with a stick shift.
Ram 3500
I’ve got the new GM 6.6l gas (2021) paired with the 6 speed auto. It has done everything I want it to do without a problem, and it doesn’t have any of the AFM stuff the 1/2 tons so. I tow a 20’ bay boat and a 25’ bumper pull camper. Been through the Rockies and over high passes with nary an issue or lack of power. I’m sure if I was pulling a dozer everywhere it may be different.

It has noticeably more power than the 6.0 gas GM that I have, and it should be even better now that it is paired with the same Allison (branded) 10 speed they use with the diesels. FWIW, I came from an LML in the truck before and so not miss having all the diesel emission BS, nor the fuel that is $1.70 a gallon more than gas. Plus the truck is quick to accelerate and warms up the cab really fast in cold weather.
Duramax
10k tractor on occasion locally, Ford or GM gas engines would work with the new 10 speed auto's. It will tow like a gas engine, slow while spinning high RPM's and getting 5 MPG. Nothing tows like a diesel.
Originally Posted by K1500
I’ve got the new GM 6.6l gas (2021) paired with the 6 speed auto. It has done everything I want it to do without a problem, and it doesn’t have any of the AFM stuff the 1/2 tons so. I tow a 20’ bay boat and a 25’ bumper pull camper. Been through the Rockies and over high passes with nary an issue or lack of power. I’m sure if I was pulling a dozer everywhere it may be different.

It has noticeably more power than the 6.0 gas GM that I have, and it should be even better now that it is paired with the same Allison (branded) 10 speed they use with the diesels. FWIW, I came from an LML in the truck before and so not miss having all the diesel emission BS, nor the fuel that is $1.70 a gallon more than gas. Plus the truck is quick to accelerate and warms up the cab really fast in cold weather.

Does it have the start/stop nonsense?

All 8 cylinders all the time?

I’ll be in the market in a year or 2. Buddy that just spent the last year hemming and hawing and finally dropped cash on a F350 with the diesel said you couldn’t get any gasser that was all 8 all the time and without the start/stop.
No start/stop BS. All 8 all the time.

Cool, thanks
Originally Posted by devnull
So the time has come that I need to start looking at a new truck. I have a 2006 2500 Crew Cab LT3 Duramax (LBZ) I bought new then. The engine has been fantastic, not one issue. It's all the other items around the engine that's nickel and diming me. I'm on the fence as to whether I want another diesel due to all of the smog BS. On that same thought, I DO NOT want a gas motor with active fuel management and all of it's issues with engine damage. The most I'm hauling is a 10K tractor and as much firewood as I can get in the bed.

I mainly concerned with longevity and durability as I don't swap vehicles often. I'm planning on buying new even with the stupid expensive vehicle costs these days.

What says the 'fire?
I have the same vehicle. What items are nickel and diming you. How many miles are on you pickup. I really like the engine and have had very little issues, with the pickup. Curious as to things to look for, in the future!

Is that unique to the 6.6?

I know the 5.3 and the 6.2 have the DMF. I have it in my 2021 GMC 5.3. But, I have the Pulsar in mine to turn off the DMF and that automatically turns off the start/stop. Don’t know if it will prevent the lifter issue, but at least they are not shutting down anymore. Time will tell I guess.

Clyde
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Cool, thanks

You are welcome. To clarify, mines a 2021. I have not heard of any changes up though the current year model. I kind of doubt there will be on the HD’s, since they don’t do the EPA mileage ratings for them. Also, they *should* be able to fit up to a 35” tire with no rubbing or mods. I can’t confirm that, but that’s what my research leads me to believe as I am close to new tire time. They come with 34’s stock.
Go find you a low milage old one Skip that spend dee ass exhaust fluid.

My 2004 and a half is fine... [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] 2500hd d max..lol ...looks small wit my bigazz river boat in tow, and the Cabela's six man tent !
Originally Posted by BLG

I know the 5.3 and the 6.2 have the DMF. I have it in my 2021 GMC 5.3. But, I have the Pulsar in mine to turn off the DMF and that automatically turns off the start/stop. Don’t know if it will prevent the lifter issue, but at least they are not shutting down anymore. Time will tell I guess.

Clyde

My 2022 gmc 1/2 with 5.3 doesn’t has DFM. It came from the factory that way. Chip shortage so GMC shipped them without it. I know this a 3/4 ton thread but if you all are looking for a 1/2 ton the early 2022 models like mine do not have DFM.
Originally Posted by BLG

Clyde

It is, because the 6.6 gas is a 3/4 ton and up HD motor. The 5.3 and 6.2 are for light duty 1/2 vehicles.
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by BLG

Clyde

My 2022 gmc 1/2 with 5.3 doesn’t have DMF. Came from the factory that way. Chip shortage so GMC shipped them without it. I know this a 3/4 ton thread but if you all are looking for a 1/2 ton the early 2022 models like mine do not have DMF.

Your 2022 still has AFM, is just doesn’t have the chip that makes it ‘work’. This is better than having one that is active, but the problematic valve train components are still in the truck and can still cause issues. It’s better than having the system active, but not the same as the system not being there at all.
I bought a '23 RAM Laramie 2500 Diesel a few months ago, this is my third Cummins powered RAM and my 6th RAM truck. 300k on the first diesel, 208k on the second, and they both treated me well enough to want a third one. Not to say the others are not good, but the Cummins motor for me is a big plus. Easier to maintain, all the torque I need and quite fuel efficient for what it is. They've been very reliable trucks for me......
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by BLG

Clyde

My 2022 gmc 1/2 with 5.3 doesn’t have DMF. Came from the factory that way. Chip shortage so GMC shipped them without it. I know this a 3/4 ton thread but if you all are looking for a 1/2 ton the early 2022 models like mine do not have DMF.

Your 2022 still has AFM, is just doesn’t have the chip that makes it ‘work’. This is better than having one that is active, but the problematic valve train components are still in the truck and can still cause issues. It’s better than having the system active, but not the same as the system not being there at all.

Good copy, yes the motor still has the problematic lifters. Also AFM was gone by 2022 with the switch DFM.
I was going to by a new truck before I got the wife a Grand Wagoneer, I drove several 7.3 Ford, and 6.4 Dodge. The 13 mpg on Ford was the breaker, power wise couldn’t tell any difference, Dodge only got a few more mpg, maybe 16, I already have three 3/4 tons so I will wait until something better comes along.
Ford F350. Much higher resale value than the F250. The sticker on the door jam is very important. If you don’t run 75 mph or more most of the time opt for the 4:30 gears and elocker.
Only time you should even consider a F250 is if registration, insurance, and taxes and tags cost less.
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Ford F350. Much higher resale value than the F250. The sticker on the door jam is very important. If you don’t run 75 mph or more most of the time opt for the 4:30 gears and elocker.
Only time you should even consider a F250 is if registration, insurance, and taxes and tags cost less.
Gotta link?
If I won’t a Chevy man I’d rather be cummin than strokin 🤣🤣🤣🤣
I talked to several mechanics about one ton’s compared to three quarter ton’s, only difference is springs on me at one ton’s, I beef up my 3/4 ton to do anything a one ton will , most one ton’s can and chassis are lower HP than 3/4 are, it’s done to not blow motors pulling and hot Rodin, plus up here in west Texas , the Hi Po love to give out tickets for having a one ton and not have commercial numbers on truck, no need for one ton.pulling 15-k
You should go with one of the big three.

Honda, Nissan, Toyota.

America stopped putting in quality long ago.
Originally Posted by BeardedGunsmith

Honda, Nissan, Toyota.

I did not know that they made 3/4 ton pickups...
Toyotas are rust buckets
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Toyotas are rust buckets

Funny and not 3/4 ton.
Ya missed this one........

New trucks are stupid expensive

bideneconomics

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1947-dodge-power-wagon-6/
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by BeardedGunsmith

Honda, Nissan, Toyota.

I did not know that they made 3/4 ton pickups...
My narcissism got in the way so fast of wanting to reply that I glossed over that.
We went with the 2024 GMC Sierra 3500 Duramax DRW with Denali trim. Although we only have 6500 miles on the truck so far, we are very pleased with it! That thing is a beast!
Originally Posted by EdM
Toyotas are rust buckets

Funny and not 3/4 ton.
lmao you're just an old enough
Originally Posted by ldholton
Originally Posted by EdM
Toyotas are rust buckets

Funny and not 3/4 ton.
lmao you're just an old enough
maybe I misunderstood your post
GM has given us the best service in the 2500-6500 class trucks. Owned all 3 brands.
That said, if Toyota ever got into that market I’d gladly own nothing else.
Local station had gasoline for $3.09 a gallon, today. They wanted $4.49 for diesel. I love my Cummins, but if I was buying today, I’d at least CONSIDER a gasser (if I wasn’t regularly towing heavy loads).
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Local station had gasoline for $3.09 a gallon, today. They wanted $4.49 for diesel. I love my Cummins, but if I was buying today, I’d at least CONSIDER a gasser (if I wasn’t regularly towing heavy loads).
unless you're really racking up the miles and doing lots of heavy hauling this is it key right here. lower maintenance cost lower fuel cost per mile even if you figure the motor on the average of longevity of life. I ain't seen a Duramax yet that didn't need injectors 250,000 or so maybe 200,000 and the cost is pretty damn steep. I take it Dodge hemi over that anytime..
The new diesels, thanks to the emission equipment aren't reliable. Bought a new 2019 Ram Cummins and it was constant trouble and parts weren't available.
Only vehicle I have had that left me stranded on a road trip. Def system took a crap in Denver, computer shut the damn thing down.
No replacement parts in all of Denver to fix it. Stranded for 8 days. Finally part showed up and 100 miles down the road the check engine light came on again.
Made it to the next dealer and was told the EGR was failing and could go out at any time. The last one they did, took 6 weeks for the part to show up!!
1200 miles from home, fugg that POS.
Today I would only trust a gasser.
My employer buys a pile of fleet 3/4 and 1 ton 4x4 trucks. They pull stuff all over and get flogged on out on the right of ways all the time. They’re cheap so they buy gas for anything 1 ton and under. They have been stuck on the 6.2 Fords since 2011 and they’ve been claw hammer reliable, those are discontinued so they’re getting 6.8s now. But the last few years with trucks hard to get they’ve branched out and have been buying whatever big 3 gas burners they could get. And so far everything has actually been really good according to the guys who drive them and the guys who maintain them.

They’re all about 400hp and they all seem to have good transmissions behind them. They all get about 14 empty and 8 pulling.

Based on that I’d say get whichever you like the styling of or that you can find a better bargain on.
Originally Posted by irfubar
The new diesels, thanks to the emission equipment aren't reliable. Bought a new 2019 Ram Cummins and it was constant trouble and parts weren't available.
Only vehicle I have had that left me stranded on a road trip. Def system took a crap in Denver, computer shut the damn thing down.
No replacement parts in all of Denver to fix it. Stranded for 8 days. Finally part showed up and 100 miles down the road the check engine light came on again.
Made it to the next dealer and was told the EGR was failing and could go out at any time. The last one they did, took 6 weeks for the part to show up!!
1200 miles from home, fugg that POS.
Today I would only trust a gasser.

100% agree...

But frankly nothing new by the GM, Ford or Dodge (even as a gasser) would be in my corral.

TOO MANY BS ITEMS TO BREAK... and also those guys have a horrible reputation of standing behind trucks (EVEN WITH A WARRANTY).

Hell, my 2024 Tundra is driving me nuts with all the sensors (and it an SR base model)... if I leave the tailgate down it pings the cell phone every 10 minutes to remind me... for fuggs sake.

As to the OPs question...

Not a clue on what to buy new in the 3/4 Ton plus class.

If it was me... I would buy a 1998 Cummins (12 valve) and spend $35k more on a total makeover (inside and out)... maybe.
Originally Posted by 700LTR
Ram 3500

I have one (2003).

He doesn't want to be nickel and dimed to death, he said. Engine and transmission is good tho. Pretty much everything else has been replaced at least once, some twice, universals 3 times.

I'm keeping it, as it's damned near a new vehicle now with just 130 K on it....

I’ll be in the market in a year or 2. Buddy that just spent the last year hemming and hawing and finally dropped cash on a F350 with the diesel said you couldn’t get any gasser that was all 8 all the time and without the start/stop.
He's wrong, 250/350 2500/3500 don't have AFM. You could look up the big three and find out for yourself. I don't know where your friend got his info but either he's really dumb or whoever told him that is really dumb.
Originally Posted by smarquez

He's wrong, 250/350 2500/3500 don't have AFM. You could look up the big three and find out for yourself. I don't know where your friend got his info but either he's really dumb or whoever told him that is really dumb.

Thanks for taking the time to post that. Appreciate it California.

Edit to add:

What does MDS stand for, in reference to the Ram 6.4 gasser that comes standard on a new 2500?
It makes your truck a 4cylinder when coasting or lightly pushing the gas pedal, helps gas mileage. My truck got the 6.4 gasser, haven't had any issues other than the abs module going out.
Originally Posted by gutthooked
It makes your truck a 4cylinder when coasting or lightly pushing the gas pedal, helps gas mileage. My truck got the 6.4 gasser, haven't had any issues other than the abs module going out.

I know what it is, was tongue in cheek for the dipshît I was responding to. smile
© 24hourcampfire