Home
There are 640 acres in a square mile...

Here in VA... I might guess 20 people per square mile... in my zone.

Census says 85 for the whole county... which seems high to me...

-----------------------------

In WV... maybe 0.5... in my zone...

If I factor in the whole county (and "cities") the Census says 8.1

Ballparking (guessing) is fine I reckon.
Cumberland County, NJ = 318 per sq. mi.

Mostly concentrated in three large towns.
The rest of the county is farmland, swamps and woods, sparsely populated.
Where I live in the US - 757/sq mi
Where I live in Namibia - 2/ sq mi
41.6 people per square mile in my county, about half that where I live.
In my county in Oregon - 57/sq mi
County 21, local area 2.
No idea, here in town.
At the ranch, (occupancy 1) the current nearest neighbor (occupancy 2) is ~4 miles, horseback, or about 11 miles by road.
Siskiyou county, 7 per sq mi.
My county in Texas is 68/square mile. In Idaho it is 25/square mile.
225.4 in the county of my primary residence.

2.3 at my ranch.

Guess where I like to spend most of my time? LOL
According to wiki - Las Vegas, New Mexico -
population density 1527/sq mile.
Can't find the numbers. But out here in this part of the county it's required that you have a minimum of 5 acres to build a residence. So it's fairly low. There's fairly large farms on each side of me. So in my immediate area there's 6 families between the farms
30/sq mile
20/sq mi in our immediate vicinity. I would expect the rest of the township is about the same.
27 per square mile in my county.
here in Alachua County FL, the density is a bit under 300/sq mile. In Miami-Dade where our condo is, the density is more like 1500/sq mile.
2020 it says 62.1 down from 63.2 in 2010.
the biggest chunk of that's going to be within the two larger cities within the county. which are not big towns at all populations around 5,000 each.
when you personally own about two full sections your population density where you live is pretty light LOL

for the township in which I live in within the Lawrence county it says 13.6 I believe it was
388 sq/mi

And we’re still allowed centerfires for deer

Yeeeehaww!!!
About 45/sq mi in this county. Most are in the 1 large town of 50k. There's also a lot of public land in the county, both BLM and Nat. Forest along with a lot of private rangeland. The county density is misleading because it's so variable.
County - 21, state, 7
State: about 6 per square mile. County: about 4 per square mile.

Much too crowded! memtb
The parish population density is 31 per square mile. There aren't near that living within a mile of me though.
As of 2020 it was 14./sq. mile

but now that the developers have discovered the area it is rising daily at a rapid rate.
Approx 2600 per sq mile
In my county it’s 47 per sq mile. Most of the 182,000 people live in or near one city. Over 100k there.
My local county......after research

4472 sq miles

9825 peeps

Density is 2.2 per sq mile

More cows/horses/deer than people

Suits me just fine
I just looked it up,for my zip code:10,922.
1.42 per square mile in my county.
Statewide population density in Wyoming is less than 6 per square mile. My county is 8 per square mile.
There are 4 humanoids living in the Section that contains my land.

This includes my wife and me.
2000 / sq mi
4.1 in the county. My community about 2
Averaged County pop by sq. Miles. Looks like 14.3
The county as a whole 140sq/mi, probably about half of that in my part of the county.
Averaged County pop by sq. Miles. Looks like 14.3
That includes the cities of Post Falls and Coeur d'Alean
17 per sq mile in my county. Higher that that where I live as it's on the edge of town.
Approximately 30 per square mile.
Flagler County, FL
Population
486.2 square miles
260.6 people per square mile
Census data:ACS 2022 1-year unless noted
3.6 per sq. mile in the county.
1.24 square miles per person for the county. About half the population is in one town. County is just under 5200 sq. miles.
Depending on where our square mile is centered, and the shape of it, population density is two (my wife and I) or four (if we shift the square over to take in some neighbors). A few miles to the south of us, there is a village of interlopers and part-time residents. In the summer months our population density increases by at least 500%. In the fall we are inundated with hunters from the lower mainland and Okanogan. This time of year is pretty good. February is heavenly.
EdM,
I'm surprised the density in your part of Idaho is that low. It's pretty crowded up these days.
When travelling on the highways, there are few places where you don't see lights anymore; unless there is a hill in the way, or some trees.
When I'm feeling too crowded here, we visit our daughter in Palm Bay, Florida, to get a taste of what real crowding is. Coming back home, the pressure starts to ease a bit as soon as we cross the Mississippi. GD
Originally Posted by DHN
1.24 square miles per person for the county. About half the population is in one town. County is just under 5200 sq. miles.

Trade you Belknap for Dodson straight across.
173 in the county. Would be much lower, but the towns jack it up.
Originally Posted by CashisKing
There are 640 acres in a square mile...

Here in VA... I might guess 20 people per square mile... in my zone.

Census says 85 for the whole county... which seems high to me...

In WV... maybe 0.5... in my zone...

If I factor in the whole county (and "cities") the Census says 8.1

Ballparking (guessing) is fine I reckon.

Population per Square mile, if its 0.5 in WVa.. its a crap load less than that in most of Oregon...

My county is bigger than Rhode Island, with maybe 75,000 in the county.... 45K live in the one 'major city'..

75% of the county is Forest Service or BLM property.....

and the geography in the county, compared to WVa... WVa is as flat as rural Kansas in comparison to here in Oregon....plenty of mountain tops are at 4000 to 5000 ft above sealevel.
.My father.would say someone is pretty dense.
Our county, 11 per sq mile. 69,500 in the county. Appropriate 40,000 in town and urban groth boundry. Leaving 19,500 to enjoy approximately to enjoy 6,000 sq miles. Assuming town and growth boundry takes up 136 sq miles. Not bad considering you can fit five Rhode Islands in the county.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by DHN

Trade you Belknap for Dodson straight across.
No, thanks. Too crowded here already. I'm thinking Garfield Co. is about right.
1.2 for Alaska as a whole. Too many!

Fortunately most of them stay the hell away from me, and I don't spend any more time in big pop centers than I have to.
Originally Posted by TRnCO
As of 2020 it was 14./sq. mile

but now that the developers have discovered the area it is rising daily at a rapid rate.

604 as of 2020, same problem here. It's probably close to 800 now.
~24 per sq mi in my county.
5 people per square mile here and thats too many .
Backed in like sardines where I live ...good God people get out of my way........ Its population density, at 0.0449 inhabitants per square mile (0.0173/km2), is the lowest in the United States.
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Yu...
Yukon–Koyukuk Census Area, Alaska - Wikipedia
[bleep] all, just how we like it !

wink
My zip code it's over 4,000. About three hundred yards in one direction it changes to 150.
County wide 8 per square mile
Corpus is 489,m2, the population in the city is 317,773 (2021) so 649 per sq mile
0.9 per sq mile - too many to suit me

drover
Kenai borough: Density 2.4/sq mi (0.92/km2)

Alaska: 1.2/sq mi
Over 5000 in my little slice of heaven in Connecticut. About 500 in Florida.
Too many.
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Backed in like sardines where I live ...good God people get out of my way........ Its population density, at 0.0449 inhabitants per square mile (0.0173/km2), is the lowest in the United States.
When did you move from the 13/sq mi FNSB?
😉
Salt Lake county 1600 my city is 1700 I need to move.
5/sq mile in my county, but they're all in the City of Fallon and NAS Fallon. The County is 5,024 square miles.
1893/sq. Mile
2-3 per section not counting the 2 mile wide barrier island beach morons, that will be Gone With The Wind one day and demanding federal assistance, 80 miles away in the land of stupid.

This is why I live where I do, a wild young buck and a wild young tom turkey eating together in my back 40. That is the edge of the patio.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by las

Fortunately most of them stay the hell away from me, and I don't spend any more time in big pop centers than I have to.

I thought I'd add on that I avoid that 1.2/sq mile population as often as I can. No one within 10 or 100 miles is good....

Well, IB is OK. Sort of. smile
27/sq mile
57/mile in our township, and no towns.

Lotta mountain miles uninhabitable, or Game Lands.
So it's scrunched up worse than that in the valleys.
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by las

I thought I'd add on that I avoid that 1.2/sq mile population as often as I can. No one within 10 or 100 miles is good....

Well, IB is OK. Sort of. smile
laugh
Few of the neighbors

Camera acting weird & date's wrong

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
CashisKing: By coincidence on the T.V. recently they announced that the state of Montana has 1 person per 94 acres!
I don't know fo'shore.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: I did look this up though - I live in the LARGEST county in Montana and there are only 9,300 people in the whole county (of 5,572 square miles) - or 1.7 persons per SQUARE MILE!
Population by race: 94.8% = White, 1.4% = American Indian, 0.4% = Pacific Islander, 0.4% = Asian, 1.4% = Black or Mixed Race & 3.7% = Mexican.
Well rounded that - I guess.
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by atvalaska
When did you move from the 13/sq mi FNSB?
😉
13 years ago , got way to crowded off cripple creek... lol
I'm 6 miles outside that sheep pen ... I win ....40 miles west home depot ...oh yea....
98/mile at home, 5/mile at the cabin.
At our place/county in NM, not very dense - about 2 square miles for every resident. Elk were way more dense.
150 sq mile. Far more than just 30sh years ago.

About 180k in the county.
The section that I live in has 3 family homes, along a dead end road, ending at my house. There is a mobile home/deer camp on the Southern section line. Then small sawmill/drying operation in the S/E corner of the section. Section just North of me has one Family on the extreme S/W CORNER. Section
East has no families. NEW CUT ROAD.
No buddy lives here

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Our county is 3340 SQ. Miles, so about 1 fulltime resident per Sq. Mile...the beauty is we're 89% public land.
so yes we have enough people.
In Washington WI. there are 5,768 people per sq. mi. in the township I live in there is 48 psm.
Originally Posted by handwerk
Our county is 3340 SQ. Miles, so about 1 fulltime resident per Sq. Mile...the beauty is we're 89% public land.
so yes we have enough people.

gotta luv MT

Till winter

or summer........

when all the relatives wanna come to visit
State 43

Town 16
© 24hourcampfire