Home
Best way to get/send funds without PayPal?

I'm done with PayPal.

Have a scope I'd like to list but have never used the classifieds here.
If you want to do a check and you are the seller, just tell them in the add that it won’t ship until check clears….. or you could request a postal money order, or there is Zelle which is offered by most banks now….. Venmo is another popular one……

Best thing to do is , be alert, look for red flags….. low post count….. weird writing styles , etc. if you’re real worried, talk to them in person on the phone.

The whole deal requires a little faith in humanity
I have had good luck with plain old checks. Most here have no problem accepting them and I make it a point to say I can wait while the check clears. And what hard way says.
Originally Posted by hardway
If you want to do a check and you are the seller, just tell them in the add that it won’t ship until check clears…..
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Easy peasy…..
USPS M/O are tough to beat. I hate PayPal too but it makes buying and selling fast and easy.
Checks, bank checks, or zelle is how I roll.
Originally Posted by Mike_S
I have had good luck with plain old checks. Most here have no problem accepting them and I make it a point to say I can wait while the check clears. And what hard way says.

I have sold a thing or two on the Classifieds and a personal check is by far my favorite. I have never had a bad one (knock on wood) and my bank has told me many times that a USPS MO is the most commonly counterfeited or fake payments they see. They will "cash" a check for me but USPS MO's must be Deposited.
Personal check item held till clears
Originally Posted by 160user

I have sold a thing or two on the Classifieds and a personal check is by far my favorite. I have never had a bad one (knock on wood) and my bank has told me many times that a USPS MO is the most commonly counterfeited or fake payments they see. They will "cash" a check for me but USPS MO's must be Deposited.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
USPS M/O are tough to beat. I hate PayPal too but it makes buying and selling fast and easy.

That's how I do it. Been using paypal for over 20 years. I don't like them, but they are a pretty secure form of payment. If guys don't want to deal with checks, there is always USPS money orders.
I’ve sold and bought here many times with usps money orders. Never have and never will use PayPal. I’ve lost some sales to guys that insisted on using PayPal.

Not entirely true. If your bank won’t cash a Postal Money Order, that is their policy. The USPS MO is probably the best transfer of funds as you can verify the check instantly. If they are forged, you can tell with a single call to check the MO and it’s origin…
I hate paypal as well but some members will only buy through PP, I usually ask for USPS Money order or personal check and offer PP as last resort.
Originally Posted by JeffP

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I thought you could put the numbers into a verification site and confirm that it was legitimately purchased. Can thieves somehow counterfeit the correct numbers also?
I am not going to make anyone go stand in line at the PO and spend an extra couple of bucks but to get a MO. There have been things I would like to have bought but if the seller requires a USPS MO I just walk away. The PO is 15 miles away, I hate standing in line and I often have other things going on.
Originally Posted by RHClark
Originally Posted by JeffP

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I thought you could put the numbers into a verification site and confirm that it was legitimately purchased. Can thieves somehow counterfeit the correct numbers also?

The verification "code" is simply the zip code where the MO was purchased along with a serial number. The way I understand it, the S# is "active" while in the mail and prior to being cashed. The number is recycled so that my $20 MO becomes a new MO for $500 or whatever. It gets cashed and by the time mine comes in the mail, it is worthless. That is just my understanding of how the crooks are using them.
I've had great luck selling stuff on the classifieds even bought a few things. and never have had an issue..

I generally prefer postal money orders and I usually just go to the Post office and cash things. I do take personal checks if it's been discussed from people that seem like they're straight up. even had more than one occasion people just wrap up cash and send to me..
many times I've already shipped items before I received the money which I know one of these days I'll probably get burnt but it seems like a good thing makes people happy getting items early.. good reputations are earned not given...
I have bought twice off the classifieds. Both times I told the sellers I'd send a personal check and asked that they not ship until the check cleared.

I have sold on on the fire once. I told the buyer to inspect it and send me a check if satisfied.
Last and only time I ever used paypal some malaysian scumball charged $500+ worth of stupid azz Pokemon cards to the account.

What a goatfouck

Screw ebay and paypal
Never any problems the few times I've traded
here on the classifieds
As far as I know, none of the members here
I've sold things to had a problem. If they did,
they kept it private.
Personally, I won't mess with any money transfer
services. A check or USPSMO has done the job
for the few things I've done

Good Luck with the sale
I don't write checks anymore, don't even have any. If I do need to send money to someone I go to my bank's online site and get a check sent from my checking account. The bank does it at no charge to me and there isn't any cost to the recipient either. Might be a week before they see it, but some of us remember when that wasn't such a long time to wait for payment.
Originally Posted by cra1948
I don't write checks anymore, don't even have any. If I do need to send money to someone I go to my bank's online site and get a check sent from my checking account. The bank does it at no charge to me and there isn't any cost to the recipient either. Might be a week before they see it, but some of us remember when that wasn't such a long time to wait for payment.

A week is fast these days. The PO has been running 10+ days on most of them. I have no issues with a bank check either........."A check of any kind".....
Personal check or USPS money order, and I hold the merchandise 'til the check / money order clears. I don't do paypal. If the potential buyer insists, they're not the buyer after all. If I lose the sale, I lose the sale. I'm ok with that.
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Not entirely true. If your bank won’t cash a Postal Money Order, that is their policy. The USPS MO is probably the best transfer of funds as you can verify the check instantly. If they are forged, you can tell with a single call to check the MO and it’s origin…

Yes, I should have clarified that it is my bank's policy to only deposit MO's. If I take a USPS MO for a rifle to the small town PO, more often then not they don't have enough cash on hand to cash it so I need to take it to the bank anyway.
I like USPS money orders but sometimes my PO doesn't have enough cash on hand to cash them. I won't take a personal check from anyone and you'll never get one from me. I can get cashiers checks for free at my bank so that is what I usually use. But I don't buy much off classified forums either.
Thanks all.

I'll see how it goes!

All ya gotta do is take the MO to the Post Office and they will cash it for you right there on the spot. I usually wait until later in the day and have never had a problem getting them cashed.
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

All ya gotta do is take the MO to the Post Office and they will cash it for you right there on the spot. I usually wait until later in the day and have never had a problem getting them cashed.
My local post office rarely has enough cash to do anything. Shipped something the other day for around $30 , handed the girl a hundred dollar bill . She didn't have change
Originally Posted by Troutnut
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

My local post office rarely has enough cash to do anything. Shipped something the other day for around $30 , handed the girl a hundred dollar bill . She didn't have change

Same here and that was sort of my point. If I have a MO for $500 and try to cash it there, I doubt they take in that much in a month. They have one employee in the PO and I believe 2 part time drivers.
Originally Posted by blindshooter

I'm done with PayPal.

Personal CK is fine with me

Screw the PO MO

As mentioned.........not standing in line to pay for a MO

Haven't got screwed with the CK in 20+ years
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I have bought twice off the classifieds. Both times I told the sellers I'd send a personal check and asked that they not ship until the check cleared.

I have sold on on the fire once. I told the buyer to inspect it and send me a check if satisfied.
👍👍
I don't write checks anymore, don't even have any.

Me either. I haven’t written a check in like 10 years.
Jesus talk to the seller and 99% of the time you will find him to be a good ole boy like the rest of us. Send him cash and tell him when you sent it and he will send you goodie out the same time. Done is multix times over the years..recently with 1000-1500 dollar items. be a cop and screen your seller!!
Originally Posted by Tesoro
Jesus talk to the seller and 99% of the time you will find him to be a good ole boy like the rest of us. Send him cash and tell him when you sent it and he will send you goodie out the same time. Done is multix times over the years..recently with 1000-1500 dollar items. be a cop and screen your seller!!

On a $1,000-1500 item I typically wait to be paid before sending. On a $100 item, I often ship before payment.
Only problems I have encountered with USPS money orders is when my small town post office doesn't have enough in the till to cash one.

Usually happens in the morning when they haven't had any business. Just a minor inconvenience.
Originally Posted by tzone

For real?

No way.
PayPal owns Venmo.
Originally Posted by SamOlson

For real?

No way.

Fossils Sam...
Blindshooter: I always use and prefer postal money orders - coming and going.
Good luck with the scope sale.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I guess I handle it a little differently. I always let the buyer choose their preferred method of payment. Checks are no problem as in modern times they take two days, maybe three tops, to clear. As long as the buyer understands when you will ship there will be no problem. I try to confirm they are a good buyer with any deal. Heck, I even ship before payment sometimes. Money orders, as Shrapnel said, are easy to confirm. Paypal and Venmo allow me to withdraw funds as soon as I recieve them. Someday I"ll probably get bitten; but, so far, so good.
I think we kneed some women selling sum stuff.

Sweet stuff.
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by SamOlson

For real?

No way.

Fossils Sam...

I guess I am too. I have never had PP, cashapp or whatever. I think I was able to figure out Venmo once or twice. Beyond that, it is my GOOD check, cash face to face or nothing.

I'm done with PayPal.

Why?
Originally Posted by EdM
Fossils Sam...

Evidentially Ed.

New windshield last week...check

City water bill...check

Day help moving cattle/hay....check

Taxes............check
A few comments:

When selling stuff on the Campfire Classifieds (which I do more than occasionally) I give the buyer the option of paying with a personal check, USPS money order, cash or PayPal--whatever's handiest for them. Apparently this helps, as have had people use all four, including one guy who mailed me $1000 in cash for a rifle scope--though in two separate payments.

USPS money orders do NOT have to be cashed at a P.O. Don't know of a bank that won't accept them just like checks. In fact I have never cashed one at the local P.O.--and deposited two at my local bank yesterday.

PayPal (or Venmo, or whatever) makes it quicker and easier to buy/sell. PayPal is also one of the major companies that handles credit-card payments, and anybody who claims they don't/won't use it probably has hundreds of times.
Cash, check or money order, but beware as there are unscrupulous folks here on the fire. See below.
I pay with a bank check or personal check.
I have never had a personal check bounce on me. USPS MO are fine except when some one wants one on something you buy under $100.00 . Sending a bad check on a firearm is a Felony ,I have no problem with taking them. Most checks clear in less then 3 days . You can always call the bank up to see that there is enough money in the acct. to cover the purchase . I take PP F&F on items also.
I prefer a check.

A number of times, I have shipped items before even receiving the check. I have had a few sellers do the same for me. One time I believe it was for a decently expensive gun.

But I digress. I prefer a check. If the buyer is a stand up guy that I am familiar with, I don't wait for it to clear. I just ship. Otherwise, just wait for the check to clear and you are golden.
I take checks and prefer to pay that way.
I’m leaning more lately to the personal check method. PayPal is fast, convenient and I still use it often but here’s a catch that I haven’t heard mentioned yet….unless you insist that the buyer use the “gift to family and friends “ or what many refer to as discreet option, you are going to receive a document from PayPal at the end of the year showing the total amount you’ve received that year which they’ve reported to the IRS as INCOME for you and you have to handle when filing your taxes.
SECONDLY, pertaining to USPS money orders and/or cash, both require a great deal of confidence be placed in the USPS. Ever hear of something getting (Lost in the mail). Even Priority Mail with tracking numbers gets lost. If a piece of mail gets lost containing cash…..good luck. If that same piece of mail contains a USPS money order it can take several weeks to get your money back. If it contains a personal check, no problem…stop payment and send another. My two cents. 🥴
Why the pay pal hate?

I own stock in pay pal and it has truly underperformed.

I just wonder why.
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Why the pay pal hate?

I just wonder why.
Among the many reasons was the times they were looking at what people were selling and they locked up accounts for long periods of time. Being strung up and used as a pinata is too good for them.
Originally Posted by EdM

I'm done with PayPal.

Why?

They want to 1099 me this year.

I didn't read the book sized agreement I guess.

Not a big thing it just didn't sit right with me.
Originally Posted by EdM

I'm done with PayPal.

Why?

It's Federal law; not PayPal rules. Same applies for all payment processors or market makers like eBay and Marketplace.

"You will receive a 1099-K from PayPal for the 2022 tax year if you received over $20,000 in total payments for goods and services and had 200 or more transactions on the platform. Beginning with the 2023 tax season, you will receive a 1099-K from PayPal for over $600 in payments for goods and services on the platform"
Does not mean the entire income amount is taxable; only the profit.
Was not aware of the 1099 issue, but I've only used PayPal as buyer, not seller.

I've made several purchases from 24 Classifieds, including USPS MO. All went smoothly...ya just gotta have a bit more patience for the processing time involved.
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
Originally Posted by EdM

I'm done with PayPal.

Why?

It's Federal law; not PayPal rules. Same applies for all payment processors or market makers like eBay and Marketplace.

"You will receive a 1099-K from PayPal for the 2022 tax year if you received over $20,000 in total payments for goods and services and had 200 or more transactions on the platform. Beginning with the 2023 tax season, you will receive a 1099-K from PayPal for over $600 in payments for goods and services on the platform"
Does not mean the entire income amount is taxable; only the profit.

Agree.

I'm still done with them.
Why the pay pal hate?

I just wonder why.
They're not firearm friendly.
Why the pay pal hate?

I just wonder why.

They received backlash for changing their policy to be able to fine users 2500.00 for spreading misinformation. Caught so much hell they changed it back quickly and claimed it was an accident. The damage had been done already.
I only bought something one time from a 24HCF seller and that was some .308 bullets when components were in short supply. He told me how much it would cost shipped and I put the Federal Reserve notes in an envelope and he sent me the bullets. The money and the bullets passed each other in the mail.
Keep it simple.

When buying I only use personal check. If it doesn't work for seller I don't care. I don't need it.

When selling no electronic payment.

Keep it simple.
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
Personal check item held till clears
This. These days it doesn't take long.

Also, I've never had a problem with a buyer here, only with the US Post Office.

Okie John
Originally Posted by Huntz
I have never had a personal check bounce on me. USPS MO are fine except when some one wants one on something you buy under $100.00 . Sending a bad check on a firearm is a Felony ,I have no problem with taking them. Most checks clear in less then 3 days . You can always call the bank up to see that there is enough money in the acct. to cover the purchase . I take PP F&F on items also.

My wife and I have been selling stuff we have to ship for over 20 years, which is when we started the website for selling the books we write. Have received ONE bad check in all those years, early on for some small amount. The return address was a seminary in the Midwest....
I accept cash, personal checks, and USPS M.O.s. Never had an issue, but do hold checks a bit if they’re from “strangers”. I figger for the amounts I’m dealing in, no one is going to bother faking a M.O. from the P.O., so for a seller, it’s pretty safe.

Don’t sell enough to bother with Pay Pal, and I don’t like them either after seeing how they operated when my wife was selling stuff. Like Fakebook, I suppose regular sellers have to put up with it or one of the other e-money methods to be competitive.
There have been things I would like to have bought but if the seller requires a USPS MO I just walk away. The PO is 15 miles away, I hate standing in line and I often have other things going on.

Exactly!!!

Tony
A seller should make the payment method as complicated as possible... to ensure the lowest possible price for the eventual buyer who is willing to comply with inane payment requirements.
Originally Posted by jaguartx
I think we kneed some women selling sum stuff.

Sweet stuff.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I take Paypal mainly because the slipjoint guys want the knife fast,I've been dealing with Paypal since 2005 ,no problems . I also take a check or a money order . Never had a problem here & have sold many knives . To ask for a check should be no problem.
I hav sent cash checks money order
Pay pal
What ever seller wants
I always have great transactions jus deal with people that have been on here awhile
I have shipped Pryor to payment and have had guys ship to me Pryor to payment
Just look for red flags
Personal checks or postal money orders has always worked for me. I won't do any form of electronic payment. Never had a problem.
Never sold always purchased.Zero issues.
When I sell on the classifieds, I post that I take cash, check, postal money order or PP FF. Never been cheated or had a check bounce. I also usually ship once the buyer has advised me the funds are in the mail.

The way I look at it, if you can trust me enough to send me your money, I can trust you enough to mail the item. If you as the seller really have to make a point of holding an item waiting for the check to clear, so be it, do what makes you feel good.
© 24hourcampfire