Home
Posted By: local_dirt Colorized Civil War photos - 11/19/23
I am always mesmerized by historic photos and videos chronicling bygone life.

Note: there is only one picture of a Confederate soldier, as a prisoner with Custer.

Posted By: Bristoe Re: Colorized Civil War photos - 11/19/23
At 5:09 is a good closeup of a Parrott Rifle. The rifling is visible at the muzzle.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Colorized Civil War photos - 11/19/23
Looks like fun.

Posted By: 673 Re: Colorized Civil War photos - 11/19/23
There were some pretty cool pics there, interesting.
Outstanding - thanks for putting that up.
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Note: there is only one picture of a Confederate soldier

Is that because the confederates didn't like colored people?

Bb
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Colorized Civil War photos - 11/19/23
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

Bb

I wouldn't say that. Confederates put value on them and paid for them. The union wanted them to be free.
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
Outstanding - thanks for putting that up.

You're welcome.

Bb

I think it's because the winners get to write history.

Bb

I love the joke by Burley Boy but the most likely reason there's only one picture of Rebel Soldiers is because the person making the compilation chose these pictures. Also, as one would expect, there aren't near as many images for us to choose from the South as they had no money and pictures cost money.
Thanks for posting this, LD. I thought it pretty interesting, especially the gunboats and the artillery.

The Southern economy, especially after 1862, didn’t allow most folks much in the way of luxuries like photographs and such.
Happily there are pictures of most of the top Generals.
The Gettysburg book shop used to have postcards with Generals from both sides. I don’t know if they still do. Heck, as a kid I had W S Hancock and Old Pete on the wall above my bed.😀
Reon
Actually in this case the loosers wrote the history.
That was fascinating, thanks for posting it. Colorizing really brings that stuff to life.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Colorized Civil War photos - 11/19/23
Originally Posted by rainshot

And this Country would have been a much better place if the losers had won.

Much, much better.
Posted By: viking Re: Colorized Civil War photos - 11/19/23
Everyone was pretty lean in those days.
Posted By: LBP Re: Colorized Civil War photos - 11/19/23
Originally Posted by JeffyD

Much, much better.
Absolutely!!
Imagine if the southern whites had farmed their cotton and not imported negros to do the work for them.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Colorized Civil War photos - 11/19/23
Great pics . Makes you realize in the mechanics of time ,this just happened . I have pics of my Great Grandfather in uniform . He did not have the $300 to buy his way out of that stupid war .
Posted By: kenacp Re: Colorized Civil War photos - 11/19/23

Bb

This is true!
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Colorized Civil War photos - 11/19/23
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
Imagine if the southern whites had farmed their cotton and not imported negros to do the work for them.

My uncle had a bumper sticker on his truck that read;

If I knew it was going to be this much trouble I would have picked the cotton myself
Note: there is only one picture of a Confederate soldier, as a prisoner with Custer.
Being a general, Lee wasn't considered a soldier?
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Colorized Civil War photos - 11/19/23
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Being a general, Lee wasn't considered a soldier?

That photo was after the war and I’m pretty sure those were his sons who were also Confederate generals in their own right.
Posted By: deflave Re: Colorized Civil War photos - 11/19/23
Originally Posted by kenacp

Bb

This is true!

Actually, post Civl War in the United States is pretty unique in that you would see both sides work toward commending the enemy as best that they could after such a long and hard war. It is one of the reasons you'll find enemy monuments inside enemy territory throughout the country. You'll even find streets named after enemy officers inside enemy territory. It was something both sides worked toward so we could reunite and move forward.

The idea that the south was evil and deserving of no recognition is part of revisionist history and not the fault of the victors of our Civil War.
Pretty neat pictures. Really makes it look different in color. But I caught one error near the end. I doubt the surrender at the Appomattox courthouse was on April 9'th, 1965.
Thank you.
The pictures sort of personalize the men who fought. Many were just kids. It was a hard fought conflict for both sides.
Posted By: victoro Re: Colorized Civil War photos - 11/19/23
Almost all the pictures are of traitors and their President.
Originally Posted by LBP

Much, much better.
Absolutely!!

Some people still haven’t gotten over the war. Nothing would have been any better had the south won, can you imagine carpetbaggers heading north to plunder?
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Colorized Civil War photos - 11/20/23
Originally Posted by LBP

Much, much better.
Absolutely!!

And this is coming from a northerner who has ancestors buried at Missionary Ridge and the Battle of the Wilderness.
I wish your side had won.
Posted By: RHOD Re: Colorized Civil War photos - 11/20/23
Originally Posted by LBP

Much, much better.
Absolutely!!
So you saying the United States we be much better if the Southern states were not a part of it.
Way cool 👍
The pictures sort of personalize the men who fought. Many were just kids. It was a hard fought conflict for both sides.
I had a 16 year old family member who fought and died. He's buried in a mass grave somewhere, nobody knows where. His name is carved on the side of a headstone for another family vet who did come home. One was Union, one was Confederate, I don't know which was which.
Posted By: deflave Re: Colorized Civil War photos - 11/20/23
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I had a 16 year old family member who fought and died. He's buried in a mass grave somewhere, nobody knows where. His name is carved on the side of a headstone for another family vet who did come home. One was Union, one was Confederate, I don't know which was which.

Incredible story.

Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: LBP Re: Colorized Civil War photos - 11/20/23
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by LBP

Much, much better.
Absolutely!!

Some people still haven’t gotten over the war. Nothing would have been any better had the south won, can you imagine carpetbaggers heading north to plunder?

The south would be better off anyway. The north well being a foreign country I wouldn’t worry about it much. Kinda like Ukraine and Israel.
Originally Posted by LBP

Much, much better.
Absolutely!!

And this is coming from a northerner who has ancestors buried at Missionary Ridge and the Battle of the Wilderness.
I wish your side had won.

I appreciate that Jeff. I have ancestors buried at Vicksburg and Kennesaw Mountain.
Originally Posted by RHOD
Originally Posted by LBP

Much, much better.
Absolutely!!
So you saying the United States we be much better if the Southern states were not a part of it.
Originally Posted by RHOD
Originally Posted by LBP

Much, much better.
Absolutely!!

I’m not answering for Jeff but in my opinion the south would be better off anyway I’m not sure about the north.
Originally Posted by victoro
Almost all the pictures are of traitors and their President.
I’ll be among the first to say that Lincoln forced an unjust war on the Southern states.
But to classify those brave fellows who fought for a national union as traitors is going way too damn far for me.
I consider the remark to be idiotic.
Reon
Had the south won the war what would the inflation rate be for purchasing another human being?
Exactly. Slavery made the confederacy just one more society in history that needed to go away, like the Vikings, mongols, commanches, and so on
Posted By: Tip926 Re: Colorized Civil War photos - 11/20/23
Not one fat man in that collection of photos.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Colorized Civil War photos - 11/20/23
It's been said before:

We should have picked our own cotton.
Lincoln's Address
"Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

"Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

"But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate—we can not consecrate—we can not hallow—this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us—that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."
Another fine example of the poor fighting and dying for the rich.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Colorized Civil War photos - 11/20/23
Lincoln's Address
"Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

"Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

"But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate—we can not consecrate—we can not hallow—this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us—that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

Detroit, Chicago, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York City.

Good job!, North. You won!
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Colorized Civil War photos - 11/20/23
H.L. Mencken who hated the South and all things Southern, yet he was not an idiot and called the Gettysburg Address “…poetry, not logic…”. He stated thusly:

“The doctrine is simply this: that the Union soldiers who died at Gettysburg sacrificed their lives to the cause of self-determination. It is difficult to imagine anything more untrue. The Union soldiers in that battle actually fought against self-determination; it was the Confederates who fought for the right of their people to govern themselves.”
Originally Posted by JoeBob
H.L. Mencken who hated the South and all things Southern, yet he was not an idiot and called the Gettysburg Address “…poetry, not logic…”. He stated thusly:

“The doctrine is simply this: that the Union soldiers who died at Gettysburg sacrificed their lives to the cause of self-determination. It is difficult to imagine anything more untrue. The Union soldiers in that battle actually fought against self-determination; it was the Confederates who fought for the right of their people to govern themselves.”

Which people?

P
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by JoeBob

Which people?

P

The confederate citizenry
All my folks wore grey and I’m dam proud of that
Posted By: LBP Re: Colorized Civil War photos - 11/21/23
Originally Posted by earlybrd
All my folks wore grey and I’m dam proud of that
Me too!!!
We are Americans.
Posted By: LBP Re: Colorized Civil War photos - 11/21/23
Originally Posted by wabigoon
We are Americans.