Home
I hope none of you or yours are anywhere near this. Ugly.

https://nypost.com/2023/11/23/news/...fter-train-derails-spills-molten-sulfur/
It's about 10 minutes north of me. It's a 1st class mess for sure.
Doesn’t sulphur smell like farts?
I think we are to the point where we should legislate slower speeds for hazardous material transport by train.
Probably lucky its already burning.
Mayor Pete needs to get that baby off of his tit and get these transportation issues fixed. This is number 3 for him on major train derailments.
The rail sysyem in this country is antiquated.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Doesn’t sulphur smell like farts?

No, it's the other way around.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Why do you say that Jim?

Are you concerned about the formation of hydrogen sulfide, or what am I missing?
If it was just spilled on the ground it wouldn't form hydrogen sulfide, it would form sulfuric acid.
Saw interviews on the Lexington news last night. People had to turn the turkey off and go spend Thanksgiving on a Red Cross cot in a high school gym. Tough way to spend the holiday.
Fecal matter occurs.
At least it wasn't a carload of hydro-cyanic acid!
Those cars are white with an orange stripe around each end of the car and laterally encircling the car.

Hydro-cyanic acid is what devastated Bhopol, India.
Wait until trains start falling off of bridges. Ever look at one? All I have seen are in really bad shape and never seen anything being done to them. Do a lot of fishing and hunting around them.

Hope people down home are ok and will have a better day.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Mayor Pete needs to get that baby off of his tit and get these transportation issues fixed. This is number 3 for him on major train derailments.
I was wondering what we'd hear from Mayor Pete on this event. That derailment of chemicals in East Palestine, Ohio a while back, had the government trying to blame the previous administration (AKA Donald Trump), for something they did or didn't do during their tenure. All I know for sure is that with the current administration, it's NEVER their fault. Especially in relation to Mayor Pete and transportation issues.
Originally Posted by RHClark
I think we are to the point where we should legislate slower speeds for hazardous material transport by train.

How slow?
Originally Posted by hillestadj

How slow?

No faster than the guy driving the car that ran into the checkpoint at Rainbow Bridge.
Originally Posted by thaxted
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Why do you say that Jim?

Are you concerned about the formation of hydrogen sulfide, or what am I missing?

We put out fires when sometimes the fire is doing us a favor.
Originally Posted by hillestadj

How slow?
6 miles per hour.
Bunch of amateur chemists here- - - -burning sulfur in plain air forms sulfur dioxide- - -a lung irritant gas- - - - -mixed with water that forms SULFUROUS acid- - - -weak stuff. Burning sulfur in a pure oxygen atmosphere forms sulfur trioxide- - - -mixed with water, that makes SULFURIC acid- - - -the strong stuff. Neither reaction forms Hydrogen Sulfide- - - -fart gas!
What, you think your hydrogen sulfide don't stink?
Originally Posted by smokepole
What, you think your hydrogen sulfide don't stink?

I always had a hard time smelling hydrogen sulfide.

Especially since they don't take care of the rails like they used to.
© 24hourcampfire