Home
Posted By: PaulBarnard A Tribute To My Mother - 01/21/24
The linked webzine article was written and photographed by my niece. I treasure my mother. She's such an incredibly hard working, sharp witted, happy, soft-hearted soul. I grew up in a family of 8. After the last one of use was out of diapers, she started working full time as a teacher for the visually impaired. She did all of our laundry, cleaned the house and cooked. She has always been a very good cook, even though much of what we ate was cafeteria style...casseroles and such. I never heard her complain one damn time about having to feed us. Despite her soft heart, she is tough as nails. She lost 3 of her brothers to suicide, my brother to suicide and my father to cancer when he was 50. She remarried Roland about 15 years after my father died. They have a mutual love of food, fine dining and good wine.

https://foodasaverb.ghost.io/nana-sunday/
Posted By: 7mmbuster Re: A Tribute To My Mother - 01/21/24
Good for you, Paul!
My Mom’s been gone for 20 years, it there ain’t a day goes by that I don’t think of her, and thank God for her.
Mom was a Hunky, 2nd generation Slovak. She set a helluva table! Great cook, and a wonderful lady.
It’s good to hear from someone who knows what their Mom’s are worth!
Say hello and God Bless from someone who knows what a gift they are!
Reon
Posted By: rong Re: A Tribute To My Mother - 01/21/24
That's cool,sadly the concept of family cooking/dinning seems to be a lost art.
Posted By: Morewood Re: A Tribute To My Mother - 01/21/24
A very nice tribute. Enjoyed reading it.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: A Tribute To My Mother - 01/21/24
👍
Posted By: Alan_C Re: A Tribute To My Mother - 01/21/24
Good job Paul! One must give credit when due !
Posted By: Robster Re: A Tribute To My Mother - 01/21/24
Great tribute, I really enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: A Tribute To My Mother - 01/21/24
Outstanding

I’m from a family of cooks and I can relate.

Sad for most of today’s families as the importance of food and cooking has gone by the wayside
Posted By: JGRaider Re: A Tribute To My Mother - 01/21/24
Well done Paul. Good on you for honoring your mom.
Sounds like my Grandmother's house.

Never went hungry or lacked for words after eating.

Some are lucky to have them.
Posted By: hanco Re: A Tribute To My Mother - 01/22/24
Very nice, lost mine when I was 16, she was 37
Very nice. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: A Tribute To My Mother - 01/22/24
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Outstanding

I’m from a family of cooks and I can relate.

Sad for most of today’s families as the importance of food and cooking has gone by the wayside

I think my niece did a great job of capturing the full essence of an evening meal at Mom's. At their age, with their diminishing mobility, their day is built around dinner. With our busy lifestyles, we often don't slow down enough to enjoy "visiting" over a meal. It's a treat to visit them and relax over food cooked with love.
Originally Posted by hanco

Oh man, I hate to hear that. Way too young.
My sister texted the link to me while I was sitting in a restaurant eating breakfast this morning. When I came to the picture of Mom's hand hovering over the Dutch Baby, tears flowed from my eyes. I got her soft-heart for sure.
Posted By: LRoyJetson Re: A Tribute To My Mother - 01/22/24
Very well done Sarah !

Truth
There’s something magical that happens around a dinner table. Whether a carefully crafted experience or a pizza picked up on the way home from work, the concept of the dinner table remains a sacred place to me because of Nana.
Posted By: Partsman Re: A Tribute To My Mother - 01/22/24
One difference is my late mom took us when old enough and had us do housework and learned cooking and baking, she prepared us for life by not doing it all.

The difference between a good mom and a great mom.
Posted By: Skankhunt42 Re: A Tribute To My Mother - 01/22/24
Tag
Posted By: 12344mag Re: A Tribute To My Mother - 01/22/24
You're a lucky man for having a mother like that, my mother and both grandmothers were like that as well.

God Bless Nana!!
Posted By: Riverc Re: A Tribute To My Mother - 01/22/24
Sounds like a great mom Paul she's worked hard in her life.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: A Tribute To My Mother - 01/22/24
Son of a gun.

Dang link won't load.
Posted By: Deans Re: A Tribute To My Mother - 01/22/24
A great tribute to your Mom. Spend as much time with her as you can. Lost mine July 1, 2014, miss her.
Posted By: gunzo Re: A Tribute To My Mother - 01/22/24
Cool as hell Paul, kudos to your mom.

Looks like Roland might have a tale or two he could tell.
Originally Posted by gunzo
Cool as hell Paul, kudos to your mom.

Looks like Roland might have a tale or two he could tell.

Ro is a good guy. Retired shop teacher. Spent Peace Corps time in Africa. He's 93 and swung hammers for Habitat for Humanity until about 5 years ago.
Posted By: hanco Re: A Tribute To My Mother - 01/22/24
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

When we got home from funeral, step corksucker told my brother and I. “ Well you two finally killed your mother”. She had ulcers from his nonstop bitching. Her heart stopped when they were operating on her ulcers. It took me 30 years and some help to realize it wasn’t my fault.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: A Tribute To My Mother - 01/22/24
A well crafted tribute to your Mom. God Bless.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: A Tribute To My Mother - 01/22/24
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

When we got home from funeral, step corksucker told my brother and I. “ Well you two finally killed your mother”. She had ulcers from his nonstop bitching. Her heart stopped when they were operating on her ulcers. It took me 30 years and some help to realize it wasn’t my fault.

Sounds like step aszhole was a fine candidate for a stretch of #4 rebar.
Posted By: SKane Re: A Tribute To My Mother - 01/22/24
That’s a wonderful tribute.
Nice Paul!

Reminds me of my grandmother.

She cooked until the day she passed..

Always wore an apron.

Always plenty to eat.

I’ve got a couple of her hand written recipe cards.

She was a lefty also… you can tell in the writing. 😂😂
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: A Tribute To My Mother - 01/22/24
Outstanding Paul! We lost our mother in 2017 at the age of 76. Diabetes and dementia took their toll. She was an angel on earth. Also never complained. A great mom can never be replaced.

Ron
Great post PB!

She sounds like a real treasure.

Miss my parents, I was lucky, they were both good people.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: A Tribute To My Mother - 01/22/24
Enjoy her while you have the chance.
Well thought out tribute - kudos to your niece.

The stories of older love are so touching.

I’ve got Mom with me. She will be 94 in a few weeks. Her cooking days have passed - she tolerates, without complaint, my cooking. I have been her caregiver the past 3 years - an absolute blessing
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: A Tribute To My Mother - 01/24/24
Originally Posted by AdventureBound
Well thought out tribute - kudos to your niece.

The stories of older love are so touching.

I’ve got Mom with me. She will be 94 in a few weeks. Her cooking days have passed - she tolerates, without complaint, my cooking. I have been her caregiver the past 3 years - an absolute blessing

And you are a blessing to her.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: A Tribute To My Mother - 01/24/24
Very nice article Paul. Your niece expressed her love and nostalgia in a way that I can understand since I’m the cook here. I’ve always enjoyed cooking ever since I can remember and I too spent countless hours watching mom and grandma…asking questions and tasting as we cooked. I’m so thankful for those memories and I find myself now doing what mom once did….patiently answering questions and hoping that a little culinary ability will be transferred to our children.

I lost mom 8 years ago but thanks to all those years of her patience and love in that little kitchen of our childhood home I can still feel her presence when I cook in our kitchen. I’d give up a lot for 1 more supper with mom!
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: A Tribute To My Mother - 01/24/24
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Very nice article Paul. Your niece expressed her love and nostalgia in a way that I can understand since I’m the cook here. I’ve always enjoyed cooking ever since I can remember and I too spent countless hours watching mom and grandma…asking questions and tasting as we cooked. I’m so thankful for those memories and I find myself now doing what mom once did….patiently answering questions and hoping that a little culinary ability will be transferred to our children.

I lost mom 8 years ago but thanks to all those years of her patience and love in that little kitchen of our childhood home I can still feel her presence when I cook in our kitchen. I’d give up a lot for 1 more supper with mom!

I have always been interested in cooking as well. When I was in Jr High school, I would check out cook books and occasionally try stuff on the family. I stealthily checked out and returned the cook books because my buds would have made endless fun of me for being interested in cooking.
© 24hourcampfire