Home
I have an opportunity to purchase 160 round of loaded WWII Ap black tipped loaded cartridges. I was told to “make an offer”. What is the going rate? What would a reasonable offer be?
No help with price, but I can point out that firing it into an old piece of railroad rail at close range can result in the jacket being sent back with enough force to penetrate a coat and shirt and imbed itself in the side of the shooter. At least, that is what I have been told.
Anything like that, tracers etc is a buck apiece. Hell, M118 LR 308 is pushing $2.

But,, the BT will penetrate the web of a RR rail. Aim, slide down for cover, pull trigger. A long time ago. Shot an 18-20" Ash tree with one & my bud said, hell you missed it, I saw dirt fly up on the other side.

Dead center, superior penetration. Not to be taken lightly.

But,,,,,,,,, for an answer, look on ammoseek.com.
Originally Posted by gunzo
Anything like that, tracers etc is a buck apiece. Hell, M118 LR 308 is pushing $2.

But,, the BT will penetrate the web of a RR rail. Aim, slide down for cover, pull trigger. A long time ago. Shot an 18-20" Ash tree with one & my bud said, hell you missed it, I saw dirt fly up on the other side.

I’ve read that the preferred load for WW II infantry in Europe was AP for that very reason.
At our gun club range we preach Do Not bring that stuff to the range. They make swiss cheese out of AR 500 plates. At $40.00 a pop. they ruin several and have to know they are doing it. Do not bring that crap to a Gun range.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
These? They're bringing $2 + a round on gunbroker and a few of the shows I've been to if you have larger quantities. Small lots $3-4 a round.
Finally, thanks for your response. I say response because you answered the question I asked. Instead of “don’t bring that to the range……”. I have my own damn range. I don’t plan on randomly ruining target plates.
Originally Posted by Troutnut
These? They're bringing $2 + a round on gunbroker and a few of the shows I've been to if you have larger quantities. Small lots $3-4 a round.

That's what I paid not too long ago
Originally Posted by LegalEagle
Finally, thanks for your response. I say response because you answered the question I asked. Instead of “don’t bring that to the range……”. I have my own damn range. I don’t plan on randomly ruining target plates.

Kinda grateful there ain't ya pard. Next time do your own damn research.
Originally Posted by navlav8r

I’ve read that the preferred load for WW II infantry in Europe was AP for that very reason.

Well, come to think of it, a bunch of ole country boys noticing a shell that connects even when the enemy was behind hard cover could catch on pretty quick. A nation of riflemen then.
Gunzo, I didn’t mind your post. Price was discussed and your information on penetration was interesting. Sidewinder72 with the stay away from the range crap was stating the obvious and not helpful. I did my own research and only foound one site that was selling reloaded AP ammo. That’s why I posed the question here. To get responses on price per round. Not admonitions to stay away from a gun range.
I was watching a WWII war movie the other day and the soldier was reloading his Garand with a full clip of black tip. I thought it was an interesting detail in a movie that was fairly accurate with the small arms they used.

They will penetrate 4" of concrete
Geeze, lighten up. It's the internet. Ask questions on a forum and you get what you paid for.

My advice is to stay away from the range.
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Geeze, lighten up. It's the internet. Ask questions on a forum and you get what you paid for.

My advice is to stay away from the range.

Thanks Kodiak. I’ll definitely stay away from the range.
I have somewhere around 100 rounds of it in original boxes and even the ammo can I think is original. I think it was manufactured in 1943. I can get a round count if someone is interested and precise details.
$1.50 per round plus actual shipping.
Yesterday's auction I attended saw up to $1.50/round.
I sure wouldn't waste any of it just enough to see where it impacts compared to normal.ball. it may become very valuable in the future its not like you can buy it at wallyworld.
In the late 70's my cousin showed up at my house with a box of those rounds. I lived way out in the middle of no where and had my own gun range. I grabbed my rifle and we loaded a round in the chamber and I had railroad ties set up with targets on them. Touched the first round off and the railroad tie top 12" became kindling. Had a plow shear in the steel pile so we drug it out and put a nice hole right through it. There was a old engine block in there so we drug it out and got behind the barn and put a nice hole all the way through it. About that time a rabbit came out of its hole and when I hit it I never saw an animal that big disintegrate like that before. They were an impressive round to say the least.
If thinking about reloading it into 308 Win, or 7.62 its illegal...

Phil
My son got my ap.ammo and.the tracer ammo when he got my M1. Never fired the tracer ammo.
Originally Posted by Greyghost

Phil

And why is that?

Yeah, this is pretty much spot on, I picked up 80 rounds last night from a buddy of mine for a dollar apiece I snatched them up right quick :-)
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I was watching a WWII war movie the other day and the soldier was reloading his Garand with a full clip of black tip. I thought it was an interesting detail in a movie that was fairly accurate with the small arms they used.

I have read numerous times that the Marines during the island hopping campaign preferred AP rounds, and one the reasons were accuracy….
Originally Posted by BamBam

I have read numerous times that the Marines during the island hopping campaign preferred AP rounds, and one the reasons were accuracy….
The AP in 50 bmg was quite accurate in our rifle. Wished I had bought a lot of it at the time.

With these stupid rules these days who knows whats next
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
I sure wouldn't waste any of it just enough to see where it impacts compared to normal.ball. it may become very valuable in the future its not like you can buy it at wallyworld.

You can't take it with you. If she's lucky your wife might a couple of bucks for it at your estate sale.
Originally Posted by rost495

The AP in 50 bmg was quite accurate in our rifle. Wished I had bought a lot of it at the time.

50 BMG AP pulled bullets and loaded ammo is still pretty reasonable.
Any 7x57 Ap would like to load it up in 7mag
AP ammo that can be used in a pistol other than a single shot is illegal. to buy, sell, manufacture, or possess... that's federal. That covers 5.56, 223 and 7.62, 308. Other rifle AP might be illegal depending on local laws.

Phil

Phil
I have never heard that Phil. Do you have a Case law reference or United States code citation? And I’m not trying to be a smart butt.
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman

I have not noticed it anywhere. May have to ammoseek again.
Originally Posted by LegalEagle

Phil
I have never heard that Phil. Do you have a Case law reference or United States code citation? And I’m not trying to be a smart butt.
Be careful, his village is searching for him...
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman

I have not noticed it anywhere. May have to ammoseek again.

Not as plentiful as it used to be., Shot quite a bit of it as a kid. Trace is a tough to come by also in 30 odd six. Nothing cheap anymore.
I bought some from CMP when they had it for sale several years ago…
Off and on, over the last several years I've looked for these. The bullets alone are almost always $1/ea. I would expect more for loaded rounds.

Just for reference, normal M2 ammo will penetrate 30" of oak @ 200 yards.
++ on the AP.
© 24hourcampfire