Home
Posted By: IA_fog Knives - 01/31/24
Looking to buy a couple hunting and survival knives
Something that keeps an edge and is easy to put an edge on not looking to break the bank but not bottom end unless good
Posted By: IA_fog Re: Knives - 01/31/24
And what’s everyone using for sharpening? I got one of the belt sharpeners and a cheap ceramic v thing
Posted By: plumbum Re: Knives - 01/31/24
Originally Posted by IA_fog
Something that keeps an edge and is easy to put an edge on not looking to break the bank but not bottom end unless good

Buck 110 is solid. I have the lightweight micarta version. I also havecL a Gerber strongarm. Both made in USA.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Knives - 01/31/24
Mora.
Posted By: Traveler52 Re: Knives - 01/31/24
I have lots of Buck knives. Got to support local.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Knives - 01/31/24
Tree brand
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Knives - 02/01/24
Go up a little more and look at Treeman knives- Jim Behring.
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: Knives - 02/01/24
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Mora.

^^^That^^^

You can’t beat Mora for the money.
Posted By: Feral_American Re: Knives - 02/01/24
And what’s everyone using for sharpening? I got one of the belt sharpeners and a cheap ceramic v thing

Diamond stones from 80 grit to 3000 grit.

There is no better, faster, or more precise knife sharpening system anywhere......

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Knives - 02/01/24
Gerber Gator, folder or fixed blade.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Knives - 02/01/24
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Mora.

^^^That^^^

You can’t beat Mora for the money.
If you don’t like sharpening them, just buy a dozen and throw them away when they get dull.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Knives - 02/01/24
Originally Posted by Feral_American

There is no better, faster, or more precise knife sharpening system anywhere......

Precise... hmm. Might have me. Fast and better... cardboard wheels. Sharpens anything. Fast. If you have HUA syndrome don't... but wheels on a grinder are my go to for shaving knives. I've used your basic method way back in the 80s. Its good. Its slower. Haven't used one in years. Yours is obviously updated. But its the Lansky from years ago.
Beyond that everything gets done with a Havalon. No sharpening needed. Life is grand.

Survival... something like a US GI knife... name slips by at this time but they are awful hard to break and don't break the bank.
Posted By: pappabear Re: Knives - 02/01/24
Can never go wrong with a Buck 110. I use a Edge Pro for sharpening.
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Knives - 02/01/24
Buck 110 or a case brand knife
Posted By: jbmi Re: Knives - 02/01/24
Michigan made Marble Knives. Long history, excellent knifes. Don't fall for the Japanese Copies.
Posted By: MartinStrummer Re: Knives - 02/01/24
Used to think Buck was the "cat's meow"!
Since then, I prefer just a good carbon steel blade and a couple of those carbide sharpener "thingies".
Since I'm only cleaning one, maybe two, deer, a carbon steel blade works fine, holds a edge pretty darn good and easy to sharpen!
My favorite is a plain old Case, 2 blade Stockman.
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: Knives - 02/01/24
Grohmann #1 and #3 with stag scales.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Knives - 02/01/24
Base model keeps my arm shaved hairless. But can up it to the Cadillac version for more money.

Posted By: gunzo Re: Knives - 02/01/24
Not putting them down, but the more exotic the blade steel & HT is, the more exotic the sharpener needs to be. OK in controlled situations, but prepping or woods craft might call for a rock or something to sharpen. 1095 better suited here.
Posted By: Eric308 Re: Knives - 02/01/24
A Buck 110 is a solid choice. As has been said, Morakniv is great for the money, and you can get one for every vehicle or pack. The sky is the limit on a custom, I have a Gene Ingram (now retired, but Charles May makes similar) and a Daniel Winkler, recommend both.

Thoughts: get no more than a 4 inch blade, stay away from serrated. Consider a knife with a orange handle, or at least an orange paracord lanyard, so that when you set it down in the leaves you can find it.

In regards to sharpening, I have several of these
https://www.worksharptools.com/shop/benchtop/manual/pocket-knife-sharpener/
Posted By: Stump Buster Re: Knives - 02/01/24
For a good Price to Performance ratio (from small to large)...

Terävä Jääkäripuukko 110
Terävä Jääkäripuukko 140
Terävä Skrama 200
Terävä Skrama 240

I have the 110 and the 240. If you have XL-XXL hands, the 110 handle will be a little crowded with gloves on, but they are made of quality steel, come SHARP and the handles are made from an excellent material (for year-round use).
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Knives - 02/01/24
For the money look hard at Esee.

https://eseeknives.com/product-category/esee-knives-0

Street prices will be much less. Most are 1095 carbon steel just over $100-$150 depending on the model. SS versions can be $150+
Posted By: Feral_American Re: Knives - 02/01/24
Originally Posted by rost495

I've used your basic method way back in the 80s. Its good. Its slower. Haven't used one in years. Yours is obviously updated. But its the Lansky from years ago.

Back in the 80s......damn dude, that cuts deep. Making me feel OLD.

My son gave that to me for this Christmas past. Was skeptical when we got it all out of the box. Skeptical, and almost unwilling to fool with it. Looked like a gimmicky gadget, and a pain in the ass to use. Until he said let me show ya dad. He did a knife, took less than 5 minutes, and he was shaving his arm with it.

Still, I waited a few days and until I was alone to try the dang thing myself. After one knife I was convinced it was the best sharpening rig I'd ever used. This thing is light years beyond a Lanasky. The edge looks like it was CNC machined, and downright scary sharp. The strop block is obsolete now, simply no need for it.
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: Knives - 02/01/24
I’m a loyal Cold Steel user. There are lots of good knives from CS in a wide range of prices, but they all come razor sharp and are easy to sharpen in my experience.

I primarily use a steel and a ceramic sharpening rods for my knife sharpening. Very quick and simple. I can get my knives shaving as harp rather quickly. If the blade is very dull or damaged, I use a medium diamond stone to reshape my edge.
Posted By: Daverageguy Re: Knives - 02/01/24
Spyderco. Vg10 solid steel you can go h1 or sv35 for really stout corrison resistance. loves my spydies.
Posted By: superlight17b Re: Knives - 02/01/24
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Go up a little more and look at Treeman knives- Jim Behring.

+ 1,I just got one,I'm very impressed with it.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Knives - 02/01/24
Originally Posted by plumbum

Buck 110 is solid. I have the lightweight micarta version. I also havecL a Gerber strongarm. Both made in USA.

Gerber has been caught donating to anti hunting outfits, do you really want to be buying their products?
Posted By: JGray Re: Knives - 02/01/24
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Base model keeps my arm shaved hairless. But can up it to the Cadillac version for more money.

I've been using a Gatco set-up for years and recently received this unit as a gift. I'm anxious to try it out...
For hunting, I prefer a 3"-4" fixed blade over a folder, though do carry a folder with pocket clip daily. I have a drawer full of production and customs, but one that has served me well is the KOA Alpha Wolf in S30V. I think it fits your "not looking to break the bank but not bottom end" criteria.

https://www.knivesofalaska.com/Store/alpha-wolf/alpha-wolf-s30v---suregrip

Not sure on survival knife requirements, but do have a USMC Kabar that comes to mind and would probably serve well in that role.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Knives - 02/01/24
Another vote for ESEE. High carbon steel, not difficult to sharpen, and tough as a woodpecker's beak.

Forever no questions asked replacement warranty, if you should ever find a way to break it.
Posted By: Fenton Re: Knives - 02/01/24
I recently retired my Buck 110 that was given to me 50 years ago. I then bought a new 110 from Buck’s Custom Shop. It has a drop point blade in S30V and it really takes a sharp, durable edge. Finger grooves too. Feels good in my hand and has nice balance. About $130 and worth the
up-charge in my opinion. Go to Buck’s website and you can design your own. Website allows you to pick several choices. The drop point blade is a must if you’ll be doing any gutting with it.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Knives - 02/01/24
For sharping my knives, I use Spyderco sharpener works great on all my knives.

[Linked Image from spyderco.com]
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Knives - 02/01/24
The locker we use, use a grinder to sharpen knives.
Posted By: Troutnut Re: Knives - 02/01/24
Another vote for a Buck 110 in a folder , buck Vanguard or 105 in a fixed blade. Most of my pocket knives are Benchmade but Buck has plenty in that category too
Posted By: garyh9900 Re: Knives - 02/01/24
Benchmade, SOG, CRKT, ESEE, Case, Buck are all good choices. My current EDC is an ESEE 4".
Posted By: RHClark Re: Knives - 02/01/24
Buck 110 is good. It sharpens easily with just a couple strokes on a good steel. It loses its edge fairly fast but is not an issue if you keep a sharpener or just a steel handy.

Mora carbon steel is the best knife you can get without going full custom and it's likely as good as many customs. Sharpens easily and holds an edge twice as well as a 110.

Dozier D2 holds an edge a long time ,is harder to sharpen than either of the above but not that difficult at all with a red DMT stone.

For sharpening, a red DMT and a Dexter Russell classic steel plus a loaded leather strop if you want it sharp enough to scare the hairs off your arm. Fixtures are nice but not necessary and too many parts and complications for some packing situations. A red DMT will go anywhere and last forever. It's just better to learn how to sharpen free hand.
Posted By: Gojoe Re: Knives - 02/01/24
Case xx, find a vintage NOS carbon steel hunter or trapper. Or get both. If you can find a Case xx carbon steel finn, bonus.

For the price Mora knives are a bargin.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Knives - 02/01/24
Buck 102 or 112
Add a Havalon to the mix

GTG
Originally Posted by rost495

I've used your basic method way back in the 80s. Its good. Its slower. Haven't used one in years. Yours is obviously updated. But its the Lansky from years ago.

Back in the 80s......damn dude, that cuts deep. Making me feel OLD.

My son gave that to me for this Christmas past. Was skeptical when we got it all out of the box. Skeptical, and almost unwilling to fool with it. Looked like a gimmicky gadget, and a pain in the ass to use. Until he said let me show ya dad. He did a knife, took less than 5 minutes, and he was shaving his arm with it.

Still, I waited a few days and until I was alone to try the dang thing myself. After one knife I was convinced it was the best sharpening rig I'd ever used. This thing is light years beyond a Lanasky. The edge looks like it was CNC machined, and downright scary sharp. The strop block is obsolete now, simply no need for it.
You might feel old. We are getting there for sure.

Cool that they have upgraded the ability of the lanky type platform.

FWIW on paper wheels I can get shaving sharp in 4 passes on each wheel. I doubt its much more than a minute. But they are dangerous to use.

Havalon are the easier by far. Grins. I don't know of any guides that use anything else for years now.
Cheaper very workable survival finally the name came to me.. Ka Bar. Not the best but sure works for splitting wood and like survival stuff.

I carry something by Gerber called BFK or such, thats bigger and stronger. But the Ka Bar has done well.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Knives - 02/01/24
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
I’m a loyal Cold Steel user. There are lots of good knives from CS in a wide range of prices, but they all come razor sharp and are easy to sharpen in my experience.

I primarily use a steel and a ceramic sharpening rods for my knife sharpening. Very quick and simple. I can get my knives shaving as harp rather quickly. If the blade is very dull or damaged, I use a medium diamond stone to reshape my edge.
I picked up a field knife by Cold Steel last month. It's OK but it doesn't hold and edge like I thought it would cutting up some pigs. I understand the knife steel tests 56 on a Rockwell hardness test. I'm looking for something that tests between 57 and 60 but not finding much unless I'm willing to pay big bucks. I would pay a fair price but very few list their Rockwell hardness. They just brag about their steel but don't give much for numbers a guy can relate to.

kwg
Another Kabar that's a bit smaller than the USMC version, is the USN Utility knife. It's a better size in my opinion...

https://agrussell.com/knife/Ka-Bar-Mark-I-Leather-Handle--KA2225
© 24hourcampfire