Home
It has been some time since I have had or provided First Aid training in the military. Back then, we had learned the 4 steps: 1) Stop the bleeding 2) Clear the airway 3) Protect the wound 4) Treat or prevent shock. Training included using tourniquets, treating sucking chest wounds, using atropine injections etc. I know that the use and application of tourniquets is now frowned upon and I'm thinking that there are many other changes in treating gunshot and other traumas. I need to get updated, as I still hunt with my kids and others.

I'm looking for free webinars that teach trauma care. Free is important as I want to save my money for building an equipment/trauma kit to keep in my vehicle.

Ant ideas?

Thanks!
Originally Posted by DrillSergeant
It has been some time since I have had or provided First Aid training in the military. Back then, we had learned the 4 steps: 1) Stop the bleeding 2) Clear the airway 3) Protect the wound 4) Treat or prevent shock. Training included using tourniquets, treating sucking chest wounds, using atropine injections etc. I know that the use and application of tourniquets is now frowned upon and I'm thinking that there are many other changes in treating gunshot and other traumas. I need to get updated, as I still hunt with my kids and others.

I'm looking for free webinars that teach trauma care. Free is important as I want to save my money for building an equipment/trauma kit to keep in my vehicle.

Ant ideas?

Thanks!
The application of tourniquets early and fast is actually highly recommended for significant bleeding. For a quick no frills course on bleeding control check out: https://www.stopthebleed.org/training/online-course/
Originally Posted by DrillSergeant

Ant ideas?

Thanks!

FWIW, the tide seems to be turning on use of tourniquets. Last couple security trainings I attended, both recommended having the new style of military / tactical field tourniquets in your kit. Focus on saving the life. Let the ED docs and surgeons worry about the rest.
open a book
Call your local EMS provider. They usually know when and were all this happens.
© 24hourcampfire