Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Academy - 02/21/24
Dang!

Academy is a sporting goods outfit?
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Academy - 02/21/24
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Dang!

Yeah.

It’s were the retired boomers camped out to be their box of bullets to resell at gun shows during the scamdemic.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Academy - 02/21/24
Dang!

One opened here last fall, I haven't been in it but son reports they have the best selection of ammo around here.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Academy - 02/21/24
Dang!

Yes mostly in southern states.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Academy - 02/21/24
Pretty good stores in general. Not Scheels good, but decent. This time of year they have a 50% off already marked down merchandise. Grabbed a fist full of $6.00 baits for $1.50. Git some $129 boots for about $35.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Academy - 02/21/24
They’re my store for when I want better than Walmart, but can’t get to a real store store.
Posted By: shootem Re: Academy - 02/21/24
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Dang!

Yeah.

It’s were the retired boomers camped out to be their box of bullets to resell at gun shows during the scamdemic.

Hey label maker. If it weren’t for “boomers” you wouldn’t have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of.
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: Academy - 02/21/24
Good decision on their part. Just too risky. If Academy sold a potato peeler to someone in California and a dumpster diver found it later and stabbed someone with it, they’d try to come back on Academy with a lawsuit.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Academy - 02/21/24
Hah! Such a shame Cali is so fugked. What a beautiful state.

Academy ain’t terrible. It’s like a Dicks with less golf and better fishing and hunting.

I’d trade it for a Sportsman’s Warehouse in a heartbeat.
Posted By: EdM Re: Academy - 02/21/24
They are supposed to be building one here in Boerne. As Paul noted, a lot of stuff on clearance at the moment.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Academy - 02/21/24
The Academys in this area are going the way
of Bass Amateur Shop and most other
"sporting goods " big box stores, and bringing
in more casual clothing and gifty sh*t and cutting
back on hunting fishing and camping.
Won't be too long that everything of that
nature will have to be purchased online.
It's a shame to see it happen.
I'm old enough to remember the good ol' days
of gun stores that sold guns and ammo and
nary a pair of kid's soccer cleats in the place,
and fishing and marine stores that didn't have
Holstein pattern coffee cups and mailbox
covers and scented candles.
Too bad there's no more Gibson's in profusion
like there used to be
Posted By: Teal Re: Academy - 02/21/24
I'll occasionally get ammo from them, if I can't from Fleet Farm/Scheel's etc first. Found good 20 ga ammo there in the past.
Posted By: scoony Re: Academy - 02/21/24
Local Academy has been well stocked with pistol primers at a lower price than the LGS. When they have powder on the shelves, it is also priced quite a bit cheaper.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Academy - 02/21/24
Cool.
Sounds like you guys got a pretty good store down there.
Posted By: Teal Re: Academy - 02/21/24
Cool.
Sounds like you guys got a pretty good store down there.

They ship too - if you needed something. I was exposed to them when I lived in Texas but none here in WI - so if I order, it comes on the truck.
Posted By: fburgtx Re: Academy - 02/21/24
One whole side of the store is guns/ammo, fishing equipment, hunting gear, knives, boating gear. No, you’re not gonna go there to get outfitted for your Alaskan brown bear trip, but for average hunting/fishing/shooting gear, it’s a nice option to have.

They probably make as much on the sale of a nice shirt, than they do on a low-end gun sale, if you know what the average markup is on such products…
Posted By: Chisos Re: Academy - 02/21/24
Originally Posted by fburgtx
One whole side of the store is guns/ammo, fishing equipment, hunting gear, knives, boating gear. No, you’re not gonna go there to get outfitted for your Alaskan brown bear trip, but for average hunting/fishing/shooting gear, it’s a nice option to have.

They probably make as much on the sale of a nice shirt, than they do on a low-end gun sale, if you know what the average markup is on such products…

I gave Academy the GFY after they dumped all the Duck Dynasty merch from their stores over the Gentleman's Quarterly planned hit piece of Phil Robertson. Feck 'em, not another nickel to those a$$holes...
Posted By: MOGC Re: Academy - 02/21/24
Originally Posted by Teal
I'll occasionally get ammo from them, if I can't from Fleet Farm/Scheel's etc first. Found good 20 ga ammo there in the past.

Several years ago my wife and daughter were shopping in the big city and my wife called me from Acadamy. They had 9mm Blazer ball ammo for $7.99 a box limit of 10 boxes per customer in store sale only. At the time decent 9mm FMJ was selling for about $14 per box of fifty rounds. I had the wife buy 10 boxes and my daughter rang up another 10 boxes.
The wife and I went back the next weekend and bought another case of the stuff. The sale was short lived but I did manage a couple cases of ammo at prices I haven't seen for 15+ years.
Posted By: killerv Re: Academy - 02/21/24
Ours is in the hood, they put it in an old Service Mercandise...remember that store...anyway, theft is rampant, last time I went in their I found an empty box of 7.62 in the camping section, some thug dumped them in his pocket him sure for his mini draco.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Academy - 02/21/24
Originally Posted by killerv
Ours is in the hood, they put it in an old Service Mercandise...remember that store...anyway, theft is rampant, last time I went in their I found an empty box of 7.62 in the camping section, some thug dumped them in his pocket him sure for his mini draco.

Service Merchandise! I remember those. Huge catalog. Mail in the order form and pick your order up on the conveyer at the store.

It was kinda a pre-runner to Amazon. Be a good model now with theft out of control.
Originally Posted by shootem
Dang!

Yeah.

Hey label maker. If it weren’t for “boomers” you wouldn’t have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of.

Dang.

Must can’t sell your high priced hoard now??

😂😂😂😂

Last week academy had Monarch steel case 9mm for $9.99 /50.

Wanna say it’s Phillipine made Armscor ammo.

Shoots good for plinking.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Academy - 02/21/24
Do those Academy stores have any old wooden barrels out on the floor full of old surplus rifles from far flung countries?

I miss those barrels.

And the smell of mildewed canvas canteen covers.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Do those Academy stores have any old wooden barrels out on the floor full of old surplus rifles from far flung countries?

I miss those barrels.

Nah….

They do have Duke Cannon soaps….
Posted By: Riverc Re: Academy - 02/21/24
I like Academy shop there often get good deals at times.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Academy - 02/21/24

I miss those barrels.

Nah….

They do have Duke Cannon soaps….

Ooh Ooh......................

the Duke Cannon smell.

Like Axe body wash for outdoorsmen??? whistle
Posted By: EdM Re: Academy - 02/22/24
Gibson's has a great candy and soda selection...
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Academy - 02/22/24

I miss those barrels.

The old original store in Austin did when I was in HS.

As did Gibson’s Discount Stores. That was the best family and sporting goods store chain in TX when I was growing up in the 60’s.
Think of a Walmart, only 100 times better.
They were a TX based chain.
There’s still a couple left. One in Weatherford, TX and one in the Kerrville, TX area.

Though they are NOTHING like they were in the 1960’s and early 1970’s.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Academy - 02/22/24
Originally Posted by EdM
Wish we still had Gibsons here. The last one here in Corpus closed about 30 yr ago.
Posted By: hanco Re: Academy - 02/22/24
They have good deals at the store in Tomball
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: Academy - 02/22/24
Dang!

Yeah.

It wasn't the boomers in the Hixson, TN Academy. It was guys headed to work or just getting off work. They knew guns and ammo would be out when the doors opened. I was working the gun bar during the Sandy Hook fiasco and young and middle age guys were literally running through the door and nearly running over the ladies working the clothing section to get to the gun counter. Then the question was, "What ARs did you get in". And the guns and ammo did show up for sale in the local paper and on local gun shows. We did have one young guy in our department who found a hidey hole to stash .22 LR ammo before it hit the floor and squirreled away what he wanted.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Academy - 02/22/24
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

I miss those barrels.

As did Gibson’s Discount Stores. That was the best family and sporting goods store chain in TX when I was growing up in the 60’s.
There’s still a couple left. One in Weatherford, TX and one in the Kerrville, TX area.

Bought my first rifle in Gibson's, Odessa TX, in 1971 at age 11. It was a Marline 336 30-30, and since I saved the money for it from sacking 10lb bags of ice, my dad bought a scope for it, a Weaver K4. Still have the rig, unchanged, and still kill a few pigs every year with it.
Posted By: Riverc Re: Academy - 02/22/24
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by EdM
Wish we still had Gibsons here. The last one here in Corpus closed about 30 yr ago.
Brings back old memories they were in Baton Rouge.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Academy - 02/22/24
The sporting goods counter at the local Gibson's
had those big cabinets with all the parts for
Garcia reels and all the parts for Coleman white
gas lanterns and stoves and the catalytic heater
(the small breakable loseable parts)
Best of all, the stuff they had in stock was all
stuff useable for this region
That was a real store back in the day of
merit based hiring, you had to be qualified and
knowledgeable about wth you were dealing with
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Academy - 02/22/24
Had Gibsons in MS when i was a kid. 80’s. Gone a few years later..

Bought several old timer knives from there.

I can remember the knife display cabinets that sat on the counter top.

Had plenty of fishing gear also. Still have a few zebco 33 and zebco one classic reels that likely came from there.
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I miss those barrels.

Bought my first rifle in Gibson's, Odessa TX, in 1971 at age 11. It was a Marline 336 30-30, and since I saved the money for it from sacking 10lb bags of ice, my dad bought a scope for it, a Weaver K4. Still have the rig, unchanged, and still kill a few pigs every year with it.

Yep. Bought nearly all of my guns, ammo, knifes, fishing tackle, hunting gear, and reloading supplies at Gibson’s when I was growing up. We had two of them in Abilene.

Had plenty of fishing gear also. Still have a few zebco 33 and zebco one classic reels that likely came from there.

Yep. Biggest and best Sporting Goods Department.
Most of them closed in Texas about 1983 or 84.
A company called Strike it Rich took over a lot of the stores. They didn’t last long. Walmart moved on those old buildings about 5 years later. They were “okay” at first, but nothing like Gibson’s as far as the phenomenal amount of sporting goods.

Walmart SUCKS.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Academy - 02/22/24
We have a couple of academy sports in the area......lve spent a bit of $$ there, but its not my first choice in hunting supplies.

I have purchased a couple of pistols and one rifle from them. Lately its just been casual shoes and clothing.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Academy - 02/22/24
I'm glad to see everyone appreciates Trump and the Military Patriots.

If they hadn't stepped up when they did we'd be looking at owning nothing, eating insects and liking it.

This outdoor activity for enjoyment would quickly be just another chapter in history, as soon we also would be.

The idea of drving somewhere to shoot, camp or fish would have, under Kilery, become only a memory.

Hard to believe, and a lot never will. The 16 year plan to destroy America would have already turned life over to the CCP and the NWO WEF and Illuminati.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Academy - 02/22/24
I like the one in Weatherford TX.

Bought a lot of bullets there back in the day,powder too.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Academy - 02/22/24

A company called Strike it Rich took over a lot of the stores. They didn’t last long. Walmart moved on those old buildings about 5 years later. They were “okay” at first, but nothing like Gibson’s as far as the phenomenal amount of sporting goods.

Walmart SUCKS.

My grandparents lived in Irving.

There was a Gibson’s now too far from their house.
I forget all the street / rd names. McArthur blvd maybe?

I wanna say that one stayed open until the mid / late 90’s.

Last time i went into town was 2010 for her funeral.

It was a giant Mexican variety store. Cool store. Had a fresh “tortilla factory” inside.

I still have my grandpaws old tacke box with lure packages that have the green Gibson’s price tags on it. He passed in 1990.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Academy - 02/22/24
Dang!

Academy rocks 😎 especially the one in Corpus.
Posted By: Certifiable Re: Academy - 02/22/24
Y’all keep supporting businesses like academy….

soon enough your state will be on the back of that card too
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Academy - 02/22/24
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Dang!

Academy rocks 😎 especially the one in Corpus.

Academy in this area used to rock years ago
when they first opened. For at least the last
decade or so they've been succumbing to the
modern business model of McDonald's and
trying to be everything to everybody.
I see the local academy stores going the
way of Cullum & Boren that used to be here.
They really did rock for sure for years until
the business management degree philosophy
dug into the jugular and drained the once
great store to an empty husk.
That's why I patronized the old mom&pop
sporting goods stores around here until
they dried up and blew away.
You sure didn't have to wade through a
display of kid's jockstraps and soccer cleats
to find some arrow nocks or some
mantels for your Coleman lanterns.
And the people working there knew what
they were talking about and could hang
with anybody when it came to hunting
fishing or camping.
Posted By: killerv Re: Academy - 02/22/24
Those cards aint bad, no interest if paid in full at end of month, the percentage off, free shipping, and with a warehouse down the road from me, I've had stuff the next day. Sure is nice to not have to leave your desk and have a couple flats of shotguns shells delivered to your front porch in a day or two.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Academy - 02/22/24

Walmart SUCKS.

What Walmart has in any given location is an indication of the location and the manager.

One I go into in AK has powder, bullets, dies and so on.

I've been in some that have almost nothing and no guns.

Ones close to fishing areas. Lakes, rivers etc.... have normal fishing gear and sometimes lots of special to the area stuff.

As a whole the world moves on and Walmart is the current trend and we make use of it how we have to.

Academy has a larger selection of sporting goods but it should, its all that store does basically....
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: Academy - 02/22/24
There was a Gibson’s in Bozeman until the late 90’s. I still have gun cleaning stuff I bought when they were closing.
Posted By: GAGoober Re: Academy - 02/22/24

I miss those barrels.

We had a Gibson’s in Smyrna, GA back in the late 60’s & early 70’s. Best place to buy ammo by far & super good prices. Adventure Outdoors is now located about 1/2 mile up the road.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Academy - 02/22/24
The Academy here is a disappointment. They do have more fishing lures than other places. Nearest one is 35 miles away. I have looked on their website several times to see if they had something in stock at that local store. When they say they have it. I made the drive and when I get there they don't have it in stock. Did it 4 or 5 times. Now I only go there if I am in town for another reason to look. They almost never have anything I went in to look for.
Posted By: Scotty Re: Academy - 02/22/24
I remember Gibson growing up. On Southern Minnesota they were replaced with Pamida. But those are home now to.
Posted By: Plumdog Re: Academy - 02/22/24
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
Dang!

Yeah.

It wasn't the boomers in the Hixson, TN Academy. It was guys headed to work or just getting off work. They knew guns and ammo would be out when the doors opened. I was working the gun bar during the Sandy Hook fiasco and young and middle age guys were literally running through the door and nearly running over the ladies working the clothing section to get to the gun counter. Then the question was, "What ARs did you get in". And the guns and ammo did show up for sale in the local paper and on local gun shows. We did have one young guy in our department who found a hidey hole to stash .22 LR ammo before it hit the floor and squirreled away what he wanted.

Back in 2021 I stopped at Academy in Orlando just as it opened on a weekday. They had a security guy at the door asking if you were looking for ammo; I was not, but there were a bunch arriving, including a sheriff's deputy. Also stopped at a Dick's nearby, and they had no fishing gear whatsoever, and proudly proclaimed that nobody would buy it if they did.
© 24hourcampfire