Home
Embedded links at source:

https://www.captainsjournal.com/2024/03/10/stop-buying-patagonia-and-north-face-gear/

We recently covered the ideological downfall of Patagonia (with its Patagonia Holdfast Collective). Some of every dollar they make now goes to DEI efforts, the ridiculous and counterproductive rewilding effort, and other silly things unassociated with simply providing good outdoor gear. Besides, do you really want to support something called the “collective?”

North Face appears to have joined Patagonia, albeit a bit late.

To keep flourishing, retail brands need to invite new customers in, try their wares and build goodwill so that they keep coming back. Discount promotions are a proven way do that.

However, The North Face — a global leader in outdoor gear and ranked No. 1 in U.S. brand awareness in its class, according to Statista — has just launched a limited discount promotion that could knock it off its pedestal.

The North Face is offering a 20% discount certificate to U.K. customers who complete an online diversity, equity and inclusion course entitled “Allyship in the Outdoors.” The discount is redeemable through The North Face website and currently is not available to customers in North America, though they can still take the course.

The North Face designed the hour-long course “to foster a deeper understanding of the unique challenges people of colour face when accessing the outdoors,” it stated. The participation invitation promised to “provide training and resources to help you be a better ally and to make the outdoors a safer and more welcoming place for everyone.”

Some recent graduate of an Ivy League college hired as director of diversity, equity and inclusion dreamed up this genius idea. Hey, let’s not focus on making the very best outdoor apparel we can make, investing all of our dollars into research to stay better than the next company. Let’s focus on something completely different. It will help the company, I promise.

And company COOs, CFOs and CEOs are so stupid and gullible that they believe them. All of the time, in every instance.

I have a better option. When you need to purchase outdoor gear and apparel, go to the hunting companies. I have three suggestions: (1) Badlands, (2) Sitka, and (3) Kuiu.

In addition to being hypocrites (North Face just shut down their only store in downtown San Francisco – how’s that for helping the underprivileged?), they appear to be going the way of L.L. Bean, who once made good outdoor gear and switched over to making regular, ordinary apparel when they got big enough.

The hunting gear and apparel manufacturers, on the other hand, know what’s what. One bad review of a product can send it into the tank. There are so many hunter forums and discussion threads on various topics that you wouldn’t be able to read them all in a lifetime. But the well-visited sites have so much power over the hunting gear and apparel manufacturers that virtual instantaneous changes have been made because of complaints.

Their gear works, or it gets phased out very quickly in favor of something that does. They invest magnificent amounts of money into research of relevant topics. For example, how do we know that deer can’t distinguish between red and orange versus grey? And that they see blue very well, so that all blue threading and dyes must be removed from deer hunting apparel? We know it because Sitka sponsored a student doing a PhD at the University of Georgia to study that very thing.

Their GoreTex fabric works, and you can get one, two or three layer fabric (the three layer being just right for awful conditions). You know those hunting shirts that use silver to do built-in odor management for your hunts? I have several. They really work.

Do you want similar apparel without the camouflage patterns? They all have that too. Do you want backpacks? There are so many that it would take weeks to go through them all – or go to Mystery Ranch and get one, or one of the many makers of tactical packpacks (like TRU-SPEC, Condor, 5.11, etc., etc.). I have a TRU-SPEC and it works great.

You know one cold weather garment that you won’t find that much (if at all) at ordinary outdoor apparel makers? Neck gaiters. It literally changed my hunting when I found the right one.

Do you want really cold weather gear? They all have that sort of thing too. And it works. And they focus on one thing: making better gear than their competitors. That’s all.

Dump North Face and Patagonia. You don’t need them.

Full disclosure: I haven’t been paid a single penny by any hunting gear and apparel manufacturer for saying these things. I have to buy everything with my hard-earned money.
Patagonia has been on the left for a long time.
Badlands has pretty good stuff and their customers service has always been good for me.
Being a long time enthusiast of outdoor winter activities, I’ve bought a lot of patagonia and nf gear in past decades because it was well made winter gear that worked well and lasted many years of abuse before needing replaced. That being said, I will never, ever purchase another item from either company. There are too many choices now for well made gear from non woke companies who have the same values I hold near and dear. Fugg em.
Shall I continue to not buy that shìt?
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

That's where I am.

What a stand, they don't make that stuff in your size anywaygrin

mike r
Originally Posted by lvmiker

mike r

Nobody does now that Chicago Tent and Awning went broke.
They caught the ghey awhile back
Originally Posted by lvmiker

mike r

Nobody does now that Chicago Tent and Awning went broke.

Jabba's Tents will fix what ailes ya!

On a thread note, I shall continue to not buy that shit
Ive known this about Patigonia for decades
Never interested me because - well, other alternatives. I'm a guy who still wears Carhart on the snowmobile, not fancy "team jackets and performance bibs" etc.

Icemans, brown carharts etc - basic guy stuff that just works.

I also don't climb mountains, sail the Whitbread or attend Polo matches - so maybe I'm not their target consumer either.
Never have and never will buy their products.
I've never bought anything from either company because I've never been happy with their products, they always felt like they came from Target or Walmart. I'm happy with my Sitka and Carhart equipment. I always see big city people wearing that junk, not real people that work blue collar jobs in rough country.
NF used to make the best hardcore backpacking gear available. Packs, tents, sleeping bags; I bought a lot of it back in the 1970's. Never another dime.

I understand, tho. TV commercials lead me to believe that wilderness campgrounds and backcountry trails are now overcrowded with negro families communing with nature. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
I'll stick to my Levi's pants/vest/jackets- i don't need them hippie clothes
Buy or not just quit crying on the internet forums as if your opinion is worth .02 cents !
They both are quiet sponsors of eco terrorism front, as well as the sierra club.
Carhartt still requiring their employees to get the jab?
Originally Posted by ol_mike

Yeah, about those Levi’s…….
Carhartt?

https://www.carhartt.com/build-a-better-world
both of those, and you can toss in Columbia, have been left wing enclaves for many years. That said, a late epiphany is better than none at all.
I've been boycotting those companies for years and will continue to do so!
Might want to look at Levis.

Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by Timbermaster

Nice thing about Carhartt - you can likely still be wearing items from them from early 2000's - before those who made those decisions were employed with them.
Originally Posted by Teal
Nice thing about Carhartt - you can likely still be wearing items from them from early 2000's - before those who made those decisions were employed with them.

This^^^^
Most of my Carhartt stuff is 20-30 years old now.
Oh, ok.
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Buy or not just quit crying on the internet forums as if your opinion is worth .02 cents !
You are joking?

Still mad a the 22 hoarding?
Welp, it's tough to boycott something I don't buy. Been buying Carhartt for decades.
Add REI to that list.
I quit using all that garbage years ago. Phuquing granola heads and the hacky sack crowd pissed me off years ago!
I have a close member of my extended family that worked in the garment and fabric manufacturing industry at a high enough level that they knew the politics of upper management and corporate pukes of both of those companies. In the early 90's, I did volunteer work and gear selection for a group that did periodic multi-week treks into the back country around the US. This extended family member informed me that I shouldn't do business with these two companies (as well as some others) because of their hypocritical, left-wing politics and the fact that, even then, they were funneling money into blatantly leftist and left-leaning organizations. So, I haven't spent a penny with them in over 30 years.
Doesn't Patagonia own meateater and therefore First Lite?
Is there anything left that I can buy?

You were supposed to burn those, to teach them a lesson...
Add....REI to the never walk in or buy from
Originally Posted by Huntz
Is there anything left that I can buy?

Good question. Even Woolrich is gone now. And so be it. My last Alaskan shirt was made in China.
Never heard of Patagonia but I’ll make sure to not buy any of their stuff.
Never interested me because - well, other alternatives. I'm a guy who still wears Carhart on the snowmobile, not fancy "team jackets and performance bibs" etc.

I also don't climb mountains, sail the Whitbread or attend Polo matches - so maybe I'm not their target consumer either.

Carhartt inclusion SVP Todd Corley is creating sustainability with the brand
The executive has a proven track record in diversity, equity and inclusion
BY MALIK BROWN
DEC 18, 2023
5:32 PM

https://rollingout.com/2023/12/18/carhartt-todd-corley-sustainability/
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Doesn't Patagonia own meateater and therefore First Lite?
Do you have a source for that?
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs

Carhartt inclusion SVP Todd Corley is creating sustainability with the brand
The executive has a proven track record in diversity, equity and inclusion
BY MALIK BROWN
DEC 18, 2023
5:32 PM

https://rollingout.com/2023/12/18/carhartt-todd-corley-sustainability/

As I also said - my Carhartts are 20 years old. Because they flipping last.
I have been boycotting anti gun Levi jeans for 40 years.
Not sure but after they fired those that refused the jab I haven’t nor will I ever buy Carhartt again.
Wearing old carhartt clothes in public is not as bad as drinking bud lite.
Originally Posted by Nestucca
Not sure but after they fired those that refused the jab I haven’t nor will I ever buy Carhartt again.

Same here. And Levi's.
I still have what is probably a lifetime supply of the Carhartt pants, but have recently switched to Duluth Firehose and honestly they are a better product. Wish I had found them sooner
Originally Posted by hillestadj
And post the story!

now do Hornady .......

wait , what ? but the creed, prc .... da da da da eldx

selective outrage
Havent ever purchased patagonia or north face, simply because I never wanted anything they made.

List is getting too damn long of things I am not supposed to buy.

Just bought a 12 pk of Mtn Dew, guess Im going to hell
There are plenty of 6.5 Creedmoor cases and bullets that aren't Hornady.
What about .405win ?

Going to hell for that one too I guess
Gonehuntin: Your well meaning warning is 25 years to late in this quarter - have "ignored" them completely for that long.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Just another do nothing boomer boycott.

Always funny when old guys quit buying something they never bought but think they are doing something
when they boycott.

No, you need to start, and then swear it off, forever.
i never started...
Originally Posted by Swamplord

now do Hornady .......

selective outrage
I haven’t bought any hornady stuff since. I never shot much of it in the last 15 years anyway Sierra, Berger and Nosler.
I have carhartts that are over twenty years old. Is there a US made alternative to their arctic line?
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
I have carhartts that are over twenty years old. Is there a US made alternative to their arctic line?
Refrigiwear.

https://refrigiwear.com/

I have a pair of insulated bibs that are 40+ years old and still in great shape. It’s my winter outdoors uniform.
Really people! Just buy what you like. I surely don't need anyone's help or opinions to decide for me what to buy.
It is easy for me. I avoid buying the crap that the mouth-breathers buy.
Ask any of them where Patagonia is on the map. And what a north face is.
Crap.

Does this boycott scheidt extend to older used North Face stuff? I bought a Wiggy's sleeping bag a couple years back and am pleased with it. The North Face bag I have worked, but I didn't like it as it's a left hand zipper and doesn't have the width I enjoy with the Wiggy's .

I was going to put it up for a good price in the Classifieds this summer.
haven't bought any in years, it's expensive and usually to small ,i don't think they make anything bigger than a large size and even that runs a little small.
I'm guessing wearing a Patagonia jacket, over a Levi shirt, while wearing Carhartt pants, while carrying Hornady Critical Defense ammo, on the way to watch the NFL game at my buddy's place is verboten now?

Prolly should get rid of the LL Bean boots I was gonna wear too?
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I'm guessing wearing a Patagonia jacket, over a Levi shirt, while wearing Carhartt pants, while carrying Hornady Critical Defense ammo, on the way to watch the NFL game at my buddy's place is verboten now?

You’re going to campfire hell.
Heavier weight and tougher than the Carhartt K87...

https://www.shirtmax.com/t-shirts/cornerstone/cs430-workwear-pocket-tee.html
Patagucci has been loco left for decades.

Regardless... Their Nanopuff stuff is exceptional
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

You’re going to campfire hell.
I'm beginning to wonder if we sit on his Lazy Boy couch and watch the game on a Samsung TV while texting the wife on a Motorola phone, might just have me starting some spontaneous combustion and ......................poof, up in smoke.
NorthFace has been equally woke for 60 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Tompkins

VF owns them now.
Originally Posted by CashisKing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yvon_Chouinard
Originally Posted by callnum

Always funny when old guys quit buying something they never bought but think they are doing something
when they boycott.
Ur a phaagut of course you’d support schit like this
Originally Posted by Swamplord

now do Hornady .......

selective outrage
I haven’t bought any hornady stuff since. I never shot much of it in the last 15 years anyway Sierra, Berger and Nosler.

just a general observation, not directed at you

got a guy on da Fire telling all these idiots that headstamps don't matter, only Hornady bullets do, and they slurp it up like hogs on slop
Jeez, I really am going to hell

2 days ago I drank a Mtn Dew on the way to shoot my .405 which of course I used Hornady ammo.

Is there like a fine I can pay or something?
Crap.

Does this boycott scheidt extend to older used North Face stuff? I bought a Wiggy's sleeping bag a couple years back and am pleased with it. The North Face bag I have worked, but I didn't like it as it's a left hand zipper and doesn't have the width I enjoy with the Wiggy's .

What model bag?

No way I’ll get rid of my Patagucci DAS parka!
Inside scoop for you fellas on north face gear LOL
Originally Posted by ironbender
Crap.

What model bag?
I'd have to go out to the shop and dig it out of an ice chest where it's stored away from rats and dirt and such. I have a cleaning expedition planned out there next week, so perhaps I can look then.

0F rating I think, but I find it good to a bit below freezing. Mummy style, nice zipper cuff deal to block air from getting in there, warm hood deal.
Carhartt probably works when hunting back up the hollar in the "mountains" of WV or PA.
Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916
Jeez, I really am going to hell

2 days ago I drank a Mtn Dew on the way to shoot my .405 which of course I used Hornady ammo.

Is there like a fine I can pay or something?
Not pointing at you. It’s the only way that I can biitch so I do with my wallet as did plenty of others with bud light. It can have an impact so if you want to pay a fine I’m sure we as a group (that never disagrees) can come up with something. 😉
https://allyship.openinguptheoutdoors.com/
I'm all for boycotting companies that stand against us, but you do realize that damn near every single major corporation in America is exactly the same, right? They almost ALL support the most leftist of left wing causes.
Trump forgives Budweiser….

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tr...-lobbyist-slated-host-fundraiser-for-him
Buy Stone Glacier instead of Patagucci. Kurt Racicot is the real deal, not a tree hugging b itch like Yvonne Chouinard

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yvon_Chouinard

Chouinard is a pioneer and a legendary alpinist/outdoorsman and equipment designer who is probably unconcerned with the opinions of CF virtue signallers.

Good post cash

mike r
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

That's where I am.
Haven't for enough years I can't recall when we quit. Actually may have never bought Patagonia.
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Buy Stone Glacier instead of Patagucci. Kurt Racicot is the real deal, not a tree hugging b itch like Yvonne Chouinard
Stone is where I'm at when I need stuff like that.
Who is Stone Glacier owned by?
Vista Outdoor has acquired Stone Glacier. The acquisition expands Vista Outdoor's footprint in camping equipment.
Patagonia makes some good clothing, don't have much of it, but the stuff I have is good quality.

I buy what I want, when I want.
Originally Posted by BuzzH

You go girl !
Vista Outdoor has acquired Stone Glacier. The acquisition expands Vista Outdoor's footprint in camping equipment.

Who founded the company and is still there designing products?

Has Vista declared their alignment with the LGBTXRYHBV community?
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson
Originally Posted by BuzzH

You go girl !
😂🤣

This is rather ironic.

https://www.levistrauss.com/work-with-us/life-at-lsco/diversity-inclusion/

https://www.levistrauss.com/work-with-us/life-at-lsco/diversity-inclusion/dei-impact-report-2022/
I buy stuff on clearance that fits my needs, never worried about the label or what someone thinks about that label.
Just gonna ad, that if we dont' do the best we can to support the right ones and not support the wrong ones, we send the wrong messages.

Those that ignore it have the right.

I am happy as heck to see that a lot understand and do their best.

I'm never perfect. Heck I have bought a couple of rugers over the years too, but try my best to support only those who support us.
Originally Posted by rost495
Just gonna ad, that if we dont' do the best we can to support the right ones and not support the wrong ones, we send the wrong messages.

I'm never perfect. Heck I have bought a couple of rugers over the years too, but try my best to support only those who support us.
Rugers?
Clue me in on this.
Originally Posted by Pahntr760

This is rather ironic.

https://www.levistrauss.com/work-with-us/life-at-lsco/diversity-inclusion/dei-impact-report-2022/
I guess I should stop my sarcasm gig ...
Originally Posted by rost495

Rugers?
Clue me in on this.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/09/business/sturm-ruger-gun-control.html

This it to what some refer to in their disdain for Sturm Ruger.
Originally Posted by Pahntr760

This is rather ironic.

I guess I should stop my sarcasm gig ...

We really do need a font for that...it would help things immensely.
What’s the criteria, the cut off score, for when a person is to refuse to buy the products of a company?

What is the acceptable score that a company needs to meet to be considered good to go?
I have one piece of Patagonia clothing. I bought a base layer in 2008 when I motorcycled through the Rockies. Still have it to this day.

You'll be hard pressed to find clothing companies that don't lean left. They exist, but it takes one hell of an effort to avoid them absolutely.
All the North Face and Patagonia I have ever seen was on women.
Originally Posted by muleshoe
Never heard of Patagonia but I’ll make sure to not buy any of their stuff.

It's the official uniform of the Sun Valley-ites. They make sure your Tesla or Subaru is packed full of it before driving into Blaine County.
Originally Posted by callnum

when they boycott.
Think Bud lite , many never drank it, but convinced others not to buy! Link these two companies to Woke, and sales will fall. Some people will never understand.
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
All the North Face and Patagonia I have ever seen was on women.

Ever been on the top of a mountain that wasn't accessed by a road?

You can/t tell the history of climbing/mountain sports w/out including TNF and Patagucci and Chouinard's other spinoff Black Diamond. There is a whole world out there aside from Duck Dynasty and tree stands.

mike r
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
Refrigiwear.

https://refrigiwear.com/

I have a pair of insulated bibs that are 40+ years old and still in great shape. It’s my winter outdoors uniform.
What about jackets?
I heard Kevin Costner wears Patagonia and hunts with a Leupold scope…
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I heard Kevin Costner wears Patagonia and hunts with a Leupold scope…

He dances with wolves also...
LOL
Originally Posted by hillestadj

I hope the Fire doesn't decide to boycott Weyerhaeuser. shocked Really wouldn't want to burn my house down to teach them a lesson. lol
All companies are going to DEI and ESG, no matter their values. They are being forced by conglomerates and hedge fund managers. These groups buy up the stock then demand it, or they will dump their stock. These funds are also buying bank stocks and requiring companies to adopt policies if they want financing.
© 24hourcampfire