Home
Posted By: Tyrone Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/12/24
What is it?

Tried of the rusty-azz Charbroils.
Posted By: BLG Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/12/24
Genesis...in whatever burner configuration you want.

Clyde
Posted By: rainshot Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/12/24
The problem is the burners. They're going to disintegrate with the heat even if they're stainless.
+1 on the Weber
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/12/24
Weber Genesis 2
Posted By: wageslave Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/12/24
Webers up to $1000 used to be real quality...
until they started making them outta scrap iron recyclables sent back here from China.
Pretty much like a WalMart special....and yes I own the Weber. Not impressed anymore.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/12/24
Blackstone
Posted By: Terryk Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/12/24
I have a Weber, and I rebuild it about every 3 years. I get junk parts from amazon.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/12/24
Originally Posted by wageslave
until they started making them outta scrap iron recyclables sent back here from China.
Pretty much like a WalMart special....and yes I own the Weber. Not impressed anymore.

Agree.

Didn't have a weber before....but I have a G2 4 burner now and it's not head and shoulders ahead of the Kenmore cheapie I had.

Mine is so cold burning they had to and an extra "sear" burner on the newer ones.

I will probably look for something else next time.
Anyone just fabricate their own gas grill? (Not a Hanco style mobile bbq, a back porch type of grill)
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/12/24
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Blackstone
I thought they only did griddles?
Posted By: hillestadj Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/12/24
In the truest spirit of the Campfire - charcoal.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/12/24
Best fuggin gas grill ever made.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/12/24
I have a Weber Genesis 3 burner. It is used often year around mostly to grill vegetables. It is 5 or 6 years old nothing burned out or burned through. The burners burn out of small brass nozzles.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/12/24
I’ve yet to find any bbq grill that lasts as long as I believe they should but with that said I’ve had the best performance and longevity from a 5 burner Vermont Castings stainless. The second best was Weber but it didn’t last as long. For the money I’m going back to the “Charbroil” class of grills since they last almost as long as a Weber and are 1/3 the price. Performance wise the Vermont Castings was king. The Weber we have now isn’t bad but I think you’re paying a 100%++ premium for the name. The burners are the weak link in ALL grills and they WILL deteriorate over time. Up here in the Pacific North-Wet rain and moisture is ever present so in dryer climates you’ll probably get a longer service life out of the burners.

Good luck.
Posted By: 7mm_Loco Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/12/24
MHP "Optimum Series"... bought a 40" wide 4 burner unit about 20 yrs ago... still going strong... had to buy 4 of them to get a wholesale price, retailed the other 3 to get mine for free... buy plenty of spare burners... don't know if they still make these?...
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I’ve yet to find any bbq grill that lasts as long as I believe they should but with that said I’ve had the best performance and longevity from a 5 burner Vermont Castings stainless. The second best was Weber but it didn’t last as long. For the money I’m going back to the “Charbroil” class of grills since they last almost as long as a Weber and are 1/3 the price. Performance wise the Vermont Castings was king. The Weber we have now isn’t bad but I think you’re paying a 100%++ premium for the name. The burners are the weak link in ALL grills and they WILL deteriorate over time. Up here in the Pacific North-Wet rain and moisture is ever present so in dryer climates you’ll probably get a longer service life out of the burners.

Good luck.
Meh, the Charbroils only last me 2 years, 3 if I suffer them. How long do Webers last for you?

What are the fireboxes on the Vermont's made off?
Posted By: Raeford Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/12/24
Originally Posted by hillestadj

In Lump form
Posted By: KFWA Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/12/24
I bought a weber, based on my previous weber, I rust protected the inside corners of the base and bought a set of spare stainless steel burners.

I don't know that its the best but I've owned a few grills over the years and Weber lasts longer than the cheap box store ones

A guy in the office swears by Traeger but I looked at their prices, I can't see how they are worth what they are asking
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/12/24
Originally Posted by Tyrone
What is it?

Been using our three burner Weber Genesis 2...for 6 years now

These are available for LP or NG...mine is NG having a line plumbed right to it

Key item is...3 or more burners...giving you the ability to bake along with grilling

The 20# holiday turkeys are always prepared in the Weber....4 hrs at 325*

Beer can chickens.....Lasana too ! Bacon...keep the mess outside of the house

Thinking it was around $800...replacing a lesser brand that was used for 7-8 yrs

https://www.weber.com/US/en/gas/
Originally Posted by KFWA
I bought a weber, based on my previous weber, I rust protected the inside corners of the base and bought a set of spare stainless steel burners.

I don't know that its the best but I've owned a few grills over the years and Weber lasts longer than the cheap box store ones

A guy in the office swears by Traeger but I looked at their prices, I can't see how they are worth what they are asking
I have a Traeger and it's fine for smoking, but it really struggles to get the temps needed for grilling a steak. Friend of mine like his for steaks; I don't.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/12/24

Find old Weber on Marketplace and replace the worn out burners.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/12/24

Meh. Ya’ll are whinny bitches if ya ain’t spit roasting over a campfire every time you get hungry.
we have had a weber genesis for over 15 years. it has stainless burners, racks and diffusers. I even converted it to natural gas recently after running almost all its life on propane. when I first got it, a massive wind storm blew it over and cracked the aluminum fire pot. Weber sent me a new one almost for free. basically just cost of shipping. a couple years later I called for an ignitor part and they said hi and my name before I could even say it, because they had all my info saved.

buy once cry once. weber is the only gas grill I will even own. I would have needed to buy 3 charbroil grills by now. they look great when new but quickly look like crap after a couple years. Also my genesis has been outside under a semi covered pergola, basically not really covered up either. there is a reason people swear by them.
Save a few more bucks and go Napoleon. Just do it.....
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Best fuggin gas grill ever made.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Fats wins.
Originally Posted by Raeford

In Lump form

Fugg you!

Briquettes!
Posted By: Dogpopper Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/12/24
Originally Posted by OrangeDiablo

I don’t have anything against Weber but owning two separate webers through the years and now having a Napoleon… spend the extra and go Napoleon.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/12/24
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

In Lump form

Fugg you!

Briquettes!

Now, now boys. We can use both lump and briquettes depending on application. BUT THEY BETTER BE B&B BRAND!
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/12/24
I got tired of the cheap crap and bought a Vermont Castings about 20 years ago. It’s stainless steel and powdercoated cast iron.

Sits out in the rain, uncovered, and it still looks and functions as new.

It wasn’t cheap, but I went in with the “buy once, cry once” attitude. Glad I did.

I have no idea whether they still manufacture a good product or not, but with this track record I’ll croak before it does.

In Lump form

Fugg you!

Briquettes!

Now, now boys. We can use both lump and briquettes depending on application. BUT THEY BETTER BE B&B BRAND!

You gawtdang hippie!

Kingsford!
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/12/24

Agreed. You can do a lot more a lot better with a $99.95 Weber kettle grill than any gas grill in existence.

Haven't had a gas grill in around 15 years and have never regretted it one bit.
Posted By: mcadams17 Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/12/24
if you are using a gas grill to cook steaks you are a yuppie. gas grills are for a kids and women
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/12/24

In Lump form

Fugg you!

Briquettes!

Lump for direct heat grilling, briquettes for smoking or roasting.
Originally Posted by cra1948

Agreed. You can do a lot more a lot better with a $99.95 Weber kettle grill than any gas grill in existence.

Can you have it ready to cook in <10 minutes? Can you use it over & over again without emptying ashes?

Not just no, FUG no!
Weber owners.....

Trouble/issues lighting ?

Check your AA battery

Posted By: MarineHawk Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/12/24

Can you have it ready to cook in <10 minutes? Can you use it over & over again without emptying ashes?

Not just no, FUG no!

Agreed. It takes me no time on a gas grill to make an awesome steak.

Also, I often grill large things low and slow. For example, I will grill a 5-6 pound prime rib on indirect heat for around four hours at 180 degrees. I know of no way to reproduce that with charcoal--at least not without a herculean effort.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/12/24
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Weber owners.....

Check your AA battery

Piezo FTW
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/12/24

Not just no, FUG no!
Can you use the gas grill when you're two weeks into the Zombie Pockalips and all the propane tanks from the cages outside the C-stores have been stole?

And the service station help will no longer step foot outside to fill your tanks, assuming they still have any propane in their big tank because all the folks down at the propane company got Zombified and don't deliver anymore?

Get you one of these, you can even burn REAL WOOD down to coal to cook on (That's a boomer hint)

https://amazingribs.com/grill-tailgater/aussie-4106-swinger-square-utility-charcoal-grill-review/
Posted By: ironbender Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/12/24
Got a Meco grill too
Originally Posted by ironbender
Weber owners.....

Check your AA battery

Piezo FTW

One AA Duracell fixed mine
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/12/24
Weber owners.....

Check your AA battery

Piezo FTW

One AA Duracell fixed mine

I use the glory hole and a stick lighter.
Got a Meco grill too

How 'bout a Skottle over an open fire ?

Made one from a tractor disking disk.....horseshoes & all

Posted By: rainshot Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/12/24
Disk's are hard to weld. They crack unless pre heated and sometimes do anyway. You can go to a place that makes boilers and get an end cap. Easier to work with.
Originally Posted by rainshot
Disk's are hard to weld. They crack unless pre heated and sometimes do anyway. You can go to a place that makes boilers and get an end cap. Easier to work with.

One's all I need....need to add some longer length 1/2" pipe legs
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Can you use the gas grill when you're two weeks into the Zombie Pockalips and all the propane tanks from the cages outside the C-stores have been stole?

And the service station help will no longer step foot outside to fill your tanks, assuming they still have any propane in their big tank because all the folks down at the propane company got Zombified and don't deliver anymore?

Get you one of these, you can even burn REAL WOOD down to coal to cook on (That's a boomer hint)

https://amazingribs.com/grill-tailgater/aussie-4106-swinger-square-utility-charcoal-grill-review/
I already have one of those grills. I call it the "pile of rocks shaped into a fire pit" laugh
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/12/24
I have s big members mark from Sam's club and it's been great for 6 years.

Bb
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/13/24
Vegetables don't taste good cooked on a charcoal grill. Meat does though. I have a PK grill for meat. It is the best thing going for steaks.
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/13/24
Nexgrill 4 burner from Home Depot works very well. Line the catch pan with heavy tinfoil to catch and drain the drippings and gtg.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/13/24
Originally Posted by MarineHawk

Not just no, FUG no!

Also, I often grill large things low and slow. For example, I will grill a 5-6 pound prime rib on indirect heat for around four hours at 180 degrees. I know of no way to reproduce that with charcoal--at least not without a herculean effort.

Different strokes...I'd just as soon eat a steak cooked on the stove as on a gas grill.

If a few minutes and ash disposal is enough to defeat you then C3H8 is probably the right choice...man has to know his limitations.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/13/24
Wife just bought this one. Not sure what her plans. It’s gas. And wood. Grill. Smoke. Direct. Indirect. Take your pick…

Posted By: SamOlson Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/13/24
Wow!

I wouldn't park that sonuvabitch too close to the house!
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/13/24
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Wife just bought this one. Not sure what her plans. It’s gas. And wood. Grill. Smoke. Direct. Indirect. Take your pick…

Someone’s going pro…………
Posted By: hillestadj Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/13/24

Did you tell her the rims don't match?
No gas for this guy,

And the argument that charcoal or lump takes too long to get up to temp, Crazy talk.

There’s a saying,

“You think you’re the coolest guy in the parking lot, then this guy shows up”………………
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/13/24
Originally Posted by MarineHawk

Not just no, FUG no!

Different strokes...I'd just as soon eat a steak cooked on the stove as on a gas grill.

If a few minutes and ash disposal is enough to defeat you then C3H8 is probably the right choice...man has to know his limitations.

Agreed.
Posted By: RAM Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/13/24
Traeger , my Buddies wife swears by hers. She does EVERYTHING with it. Even Holidays, even St.Patty's C.B. AND C.
Posted By: lundtroller Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/13/24
Ducane that I bought in 1995 at the suggestion of a friend out in Ks.

Almost 30 years old and still going strong... just routine cleaning and I think I replaced the "briquettes" once. Just can't kill the thing! Not sure they make them anymore but I occasionally see a used one listed.
Posted By: Rangersedge Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/13/24
We have three grills. One charcoal and two gas. Both gas ones are weber. One is a small one that is highly portable and we take to the lake sometimes. The other is a large weber summit stainless with rotisserie and infrared heat. We've had both for several years. Both are kept outside partially protected by roof overhang. Can't really complain about any of them; but would like to have a custom one created if money were no object.

Sorry. Just noticed the <$1k. Might find a display model on sale or something.
Posted By: EdM Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/13/24
Seems my wife likes her Weber she purchased 15 years ago.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/13/24

Must be part of the trailer park appeal.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/13/24
After years of dealing with rusted out gas grill inside bottom halfs, replacing rusted, corroded, pitted burner assemblies/racks/etc./etc., then trashing old grill and buying new ones, then repeating all the above processes again and again, I believe I've stumbled on the key to increasing a gas grills longevity regardless how expensive or cheap it is.

What I did was I completely quit cooking anything directly on the grills rack and instead now cook everything on a rack inserted in a rectangle pan (basically a cookie pan) placed on top of grill rack. With a gas grill what you're doing is really not true grilling but baking/broiling food. Cooking on the pan on top of grill rack keeps grease and dried food crud in the pan and not building up on top of burner deflector, burners, bottom of grill base, etc. which I believe is the root cause of rust and corrosion building up in gas grills and assemblies.

I've got a cheap, flimsy made grill now, bought it about 4 (+/-) years ago, cook everything on rack inside "cookie-pan" on top of grill rack and now 4 years later the burners, deflector and inside bottom of grill base still looks almost as good as the day I first got it. Food tastes no different than when I used to cook directly on grill rack.

Stainless Steel Baking Pan Cookie Sheet with Cooling Rack,

As always, YMMV...
Posted By: Gibby Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/13/24
Another vote for a Weber Kettle. Paired with a infra red only grill for steaks and chops.

Note: Putting steak tenderizer on your steaks before cooking will destroy any grid and burner over time.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/13/24
The Weger Q series are a nice grill.
Posted By: frogman43 Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/13/24
Originally Posted by Dogpopper
Originally Posted by OrangeDiablo

I don’t have anything against Weber but owning two separate webers through the years and now having a Napoleon… spend the extra and go Napoleon.

I bought a clearance priced Napoleon through Lowes about three years ago.....best gas grill I've ever owned!!!

Frog---OUT!
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/13/24

Must be part of the trailer park appeal.
Honestly,

How gauche, eh?
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/13/24

Work, then dinner doesn't usually happen until 7 or 8pm, bed time at 10. I grill ~5 nites/week.
No, I'm not emptying or cleaning a grill every week much less every friggin' day.
Posted By: wageslave Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/13/24
Originally Posted by EdM

Made in the USA, I'm thinkin?
They were great.
Posted By: BlueDoe Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/13/24
...ok, back to the original post parameters: I keep a CampChef Big Gas Grill on my covered back porch and cook on it 1-3 times a week. More often during grid-down events. If not familiar this is a 3 burner stove/range that uses accessory cast iron grilling surfaces and griddles purchased separately. I only grill Polish sausages, venison steaks and occasionally pork or chicken--quick and hot. The burners are heavy cast aluminum and get so hot I usually set the knob on the medium heat setting. "The minimalist's choice". Those fancy stainless cabinet style grills are a major headache to get rid of when they wear out.
Posted By: kenoh2 Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/13/24
Bought a Sarka stainless grill about thirteen years ago. Stored outside an it still looks like new. Has a heavy cast iron burner which was replaced once. Very sensitive to wind until it heats to 300F

Found a stainless Phoenix grill on FB Marketplace for $40 with a full tank. Works better than my Sarka. Gave it to my son and he loves it.
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/13/24
What is it?

Get yourself a Blackstone 4-burner flat top. Haven't used my Weber Genesis since except as a staging table for my griddle!
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/13/24
Originally Posted by EdM

They were great.

Our Weber Genesis is also about 15 years old and still cooks and looks like it did the day we got it. Granted I haven't used it much since we got a BGG about 3 years ago.
Bought a 32” Blaze from bbqguys.com. They also sell napoleon’s which have a good reputation.
Love my Blaze, built like a tank and lifetime warranty.
Posted By: JB in SC Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/13/24
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
Vegetables don't taste good cooked on a charcoal grill. Meat does though. I have a PK grill for meat. It is the best thing going for steaks.

I got a PK grill five or six years ago, best money I’ve spent.
Posted By: pointer Re: Best Gas Grill< $1,000 - 03/14/24
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by EdM

They were great.

Our Weber Genesis is also about 15 years old and still cooks and looks like it did the day we got it. Granted I haven't used it much since we got a BGG about 3 years ago.
Add a flattop and I'd think you'd have quite the outdoor kitchen! I will either end up with a smallish gas grill for some things or maybe a small egg to go with the Large and Camp Chef griddle.

Though it has it's intricacies I can find fault with a BGG. Not much I haven't been able to cook with it.

PS- Smoked/grilled meatloaf is my new "thing"
© 24hourcampfire