Home
Posted By: weaselsRus Anyone else have a Rokon? - 03/25/24
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Snagged this’84 Mototractor and got it running without too much headache, it’s a rough riding beast but it will climb!
I’ve had a few of them… the only downside was downhill compression braking which I rectified with my last one by grafting in a Honda ATC 110 engine and front forks…probably the most capable of affordable off road ATVs…
Posted By: hardway Re: Anyone else have a Rokon? - 03/25/24
Originally Posted by weaselsRus

Snagged this’84 Mototractor and got it running without too much headache, it’s a rough riding beast but it will climb!

Hell yeah…. Take that thing right to the top of Verdi peak 🤘🏻
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Anyone else have a Rokon? - 03/25/24
Have thought about one.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Anyone else have a Rokon? - 03/25/24
I do.

It was nice to ride 3 miles from the trail head campsite to Eagle Peak, CO north of Delores when I archery elk hunted that country.

It mostly collects dust now. I don't care to back pack elk quarters from kill site to the trail to load on the Rokon at over 10,700 at my age anymore.

Not as fun as it once was.
Originally Posted by hardway

Hell yeah…. Take that thing right to the top of Verdi peak 🤘🏻

Haha, I've walked around the base of the cliffs below Verdi, my balls aren't big enough to take the bike there!

My avatar pic was taken maybe 2 miles from Verdi Peak.
Elk hunted central Colorado with a group of crazy Mexicans, they'd ride those things straight up the highest places. Going up wasn't near as bad as coming down, that was absolutely terrifying.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Anyone else have a Rokon? - 03/25/24
I always wanted one never bought one
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Anyone else have a Rokon? - 03/25/24
Originally Posted by Hogwild7

I have entertained the idea of selling mine.
Nice looking mountain scooter.
Posted By: cowdoc Re: Anyone else have a Rokon? - 03/25/24
Have an '04 Trailbreaker. My SIL replaced the 6 hp Kohler with a Honda engine that he sent to a race shop, I think it puts out 13 hp? It will go places
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Anyone else have a Rokon? - 03/25/24
Dad bought a new one about 15 years ago.
Rode it around logging roads .

Had to work on it almost constantly.
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: Anyone else have a Rokon? - 03/25/24
I remember the full page ads in the back of outdoor magazines “tell your wife it’s a lawnmower”
Posted By: Windfall Re: Anyone else have a Rokon? - 03/25/24
Yup, had three of them.
A '76 Chrysler powered two stroke. Faster, noisy, harder to start, 15" aluminum wrong wheels, and two stroke oil stink, but that one would float.
A '98 Honda powered four stroke. Under powered, started well, 15" steel wheels are better, but too tall, '98's had a bad frame weld that broke front roll pins.
An '06 Kohler four stroke. Got it right with more power, starts well, 12" steel wheels are perfect, good lights, trouble free.

A specialized machine to be sure, but one that will go darn near anywhere off road, all be it slowly. Not as comfortable as a trail bike with better suspension, not licensable for the street here, but it fits between trees and can make it's own trail and isn't heavy enough to worry about it falling over on you. Doesn't take up much room in the garage. Great for hauling deer and bears out of the woods.

I can't say that I like the direction that I've seen the new ones going these last years with electric start, battery and suspension.
Posted By: johnn Re: Anyone else have a Rokon? - 03/25/24
I have used inea little bit, rough riding, very capable, probably the most capable ORV ever.

Lightweight, around 200 pounds if I recall.
Posted By: 257_X_50 Re: Anyone else have a Rokon? - 03/25/24
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Hogwild7

I have entertained the idea of selling mine.

Tell me more….your PM is maxed
[url=https://postimg.cc/rdLkH3zS][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][/ur

Might be time for an intervention, found another, this one is a’03 Trailbreaker, might be an improvement?
Posted By: LouisB Re: Anyone else have a Rokon? - 03/26/24
A guy I used to hunt with had one back in the 70s.
He said, that he thought it would climb a tree if ya could stay on it.
Posted By: 257_X_50 Re: Anyone else have a Rokon? - 03/26/24
They have had a street legal version for a few years
Posted By: hardway Re: Anyone else have a Rokon? - 03/26/24
There is a guy here close that has a 2020 model on Craigslist asking $9,000 😳
Posted By: Crawler Re: Anyone else have a Rokon? - 03/26/24
Mine is a 1974 model i am on the 3rd set of tires, don't think I will ride/live long enough to wear this set out. Have done frame up restore a few times and overhauled motor a few times, replaced complete motor once. Have completed several upgrades that new ones have came out with, like bearings in steering head instead of bushings, and shock ride seat instead of solid. Have spent many days on it exploring, prospecting, and hunting. It is slow and loud, but has been very dependable and usefull.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Anyone else have a Rokon? - 03/26/24
I haven't looked close at one of those in a while.
Unless I'm remembering wrong, I was thinking
that at one time the wheels were hollow and
sealed up to function as sort of integral on-board
gasoline storage.
Am I remembering correctly or not ?

Wouldn't mind having one, but they've always
been scarce when I had extra money, and
expensive when I didn't have it to spend

I've rode dirt bikes and 3 wheelers and 4 wheelers
and dune buggies and jeeps of many configurations
and been hurt bad by a few. Been in a couple of
cobbled up contraptions like the Arch Hall
"Eegah" buggy
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Anyone else have a Rokon? - 03/26/24
Originally Posted by Ranger99
I haven't looked close at one of those in a while.
Unless I'm remembering wrong, I was thinking
that at one time the wheels were hollow and
sealed up to function as sort of integral on-board
gasoline storage.
Am I remembering correctly or not ?

Wouldn't mind having one, but they've always
been scarce when I had extra money, and
expensive when I didn't have it to spend

I've rode dirt bikes and 3 wheelers and 4 wheelers
and dune buggies and jeeps of many configurations
and been hurt bad by a few. Been in a couple of
cobbled up contraptions like the Arch Hall
"Eegah" buggy
Yes the wheels could carry extra Gasoline- although that always seemed a bit sketchy to me- but what do i know.
The gas storage in a wheel spooks me but they seem like a sound investment. Just haven't found one when I had the money. The usual complaint. In other words I'm not sufficiently motivated or "motorvated". Be Well Brothers, RZ.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Anyone else have a Rokon? - 03/26/24
[url=https://postimg.cc/rdLkH3zS][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][/ur

Might be time for an intervention, found another, this one is a’03 Trailbreaker, might be an improvement?

That looks like the Kohler engine which is an improvement. Those are the hollow aluminum wheels that have aluminum bearing seats and mine wouldn’t hold the front wheel bearings after a while. Also while those wheels are hollow and will float the bike, a four stroke shouldn’t be laid over for very long. Yes, the wheels would hold gasoline or water and the weight helps keep the front wheel down and driving going up steep hills. A weight on the front rack does the same thing. I have a 20# dumbbell zip tied to mine. Partially filled the liquid sloshes and throws off the balance. The 12” steel wheels and after market tires are way better, heavier to keep the front end down, you are closer to the ground and with smaller wheels it is geared lower. Rokons get such good mpg that you will never run through a tank full in a day.

The thing attracts lots of attention on the trailer. Guys always ask how fast it goes? Maybe 30 mph, but it is how slow and tractable it goes that is more important in the rough stuff. I use first and second gear way more than third gear.
© 24hourcampfire