Home
Just that. She will always be one of my favorite vocalists. With “ Your no Good” being no1. Probably the most successful female in those times.
Yes….
I always liked her singing.
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I always liked her singing.

and it didn’t hurt to watch her sing it…..
Saw her first public performance many years ago on The Johnny Cash Show.

A talented lady with what appears to be serious health issues currently thought to be Parkinson’s but later determined to be a form of palsy.
Yes. She put on a good show. Waddy too.
Originally Posted by Alan_C
Just that. She will always be one of my favorite vocalists. With “ Your no Good” being no1. Probably the most successful female in those times.

Boomers that haven't quite caught on yet, this right here, we call this a clue.
When I was working as a body guard in Mexico, I got drunk on whiskey while listening to Linda and placed a 9mm glock to my head and pulled the trigger. It was a good primer hit but didn’t go off. I used the same round on a bad guy and it did fire. Boy, I was like a Man on Fire.

Life is a trip, right ?
I liked her singing with Warren Zevon.
Oh yeah

Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
When I was working as a body guard in Mexico, I got drunk on whiskey while listening to Linda and placed a 9mm glock to my head and pulled the trigger. It was a good primer hit but didn’t go off. I used the same round on a bad guy and it did fire. Boy, I was like a Man on Fire.

Life is a trip, right ?
Why would you put the same cartridge back in the gun when there was potential for serious use? Was ammunition that difficult to obtain?
Fine singer.
Originally Posted by DHN

Life is a trip, right ?
Why would you put the same cartridge back in the gun when there was potential for serious use? Was ammunition that difficult to obtain?

Good grief.

Life is a trip, right ?

And that was because why?

You didn't like her singing, or you were heart broken she was banging one of The Eagles and not you?
Linda Ronstadt was a bit before my time, and I was never really a fan, but I am so glad I clicked on this thread…..🤣
I saw her in the kingdome Aug 6 1976 and she was good.

Now she has Parkinson's disease and cannot sing.

She was a paranoid diet pill addict.

Now she is an old fat leftie.
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Originally Posted by DHN

Life is a trip, right ?

Good grief.

Because a bullet always tells the truth.
Ronstadt was good, politics aside. The live version of Tumbling Dice is one of my all time favorites.
And her choice and husbands like that California governor was just wonderful
Originally Posted by Mike70560
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Originally Posted by DHN

Life is a trip, right ?

Good grief.

Because a bullet always tells the truth.

Thanks for playing…winner !

Life is a trip, right ?
I'm at a loss for words. Miracles come at strange times!!!
Always had a crush on her, and Emmylou Harris

Yes
I like her, definitely my favorite cover band. I don't recall her singing an original song after Different Drum with the Stone Ponies.

She recorded her cover of Warren Zevon's "Poor, Poor, Pitiful Me" so soon after it's release there was no sheet music available. So, it was copied by ear off a record giving its difference from the original. Zevon has remarked he preferred her version over his because of it.
Her singing, yes..... Her politics, Uh NO!

I did see her in an outdoor open air concert, in October when I was in college at Tanglewood in Western Massachusetts.
Back when Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops use to play. her big hit at the time was " Like a Heat Wave". After three songs they started to play that big hit for her.

She had come out on stage with a short pair of cut off jeans, a bikini top and an open cardigan sweater on. She threw her cardigan off as she started the song, and was on stage when it was about 30 degrees outside. At the end of the song, when she sang the last line " Just Like a Heat Wave", she reached behind herself and it looked like she took off her bikini top. When she finished the last line, the lights on stage go dark, and it looked like her yellow bikini top goes flying out into the crowd, highlighted by a single spot light.

The guys in the audience goes wild, and the top lands in the audience and some guy has a souvenir. Just as that happen, the lights go back on the stage, and she was standing there with her top still on, and she is twirling another bikini top just like the one she is wearing, around on her index finger.

She smiles at the audience and says in the microphone.. " Fooled them, didn't we girls!" She instantly had the entire audience in the palm of her hand. It was a 2 hour plus concert, but she had the audience pumped the entire time after her big hit at the time, " Heat Wave".

When I was in High School, my senior year over in Virginia ( 1969-70 ) the drinking age over in DC was 17 yrs and 6 months. We use to go over to a club in Georgetown, where her and the Stone Ponys where the nightly band. Was one of our most popular places to go partying over in DC, because of her. She was only about 5 ft to 5 ft 2inches tall. Kinda short.
The Lady can sing.
As much as I like Roy Orbison, her cover of 'Blue Bayou' is better. Really showcased her voice.
Here she is in concert in Atlanta in 1977. I was in Atlanta at that time but I missed the show.
What a voice! And what a piece of ass.

Simple Dreams is the title of her autobiography. She lived them purely and passionately, gave it all. Sexiest thing alive when she hit her stride, blowing the top of what female vocalists were thought capable of. An incomparable voice. A powerful, expressive soul to propel it. She wasn’t political at all then. Remarkable person of rare talent.
I think few were aware of her innate work drive. Practicing up to eight hours a day.

Here’s an article describing her effort to do La Boheme:

https://www.nytimes.com/1984/11/25/arts/linda-ronstadt-reaches-for-an-operatic-high-note.html
Saw her with Little Feat and Commander Cody.
She was also quite diverse in her singing. One of her last efforts was making Canciones de mi Padre. The culture she grew up in Tucson incorporates this music to this day. The album released in 1987 became a global smash hit. At 2½ million US sales, it stands as the biggest selling non-English language album in American record history.

Her explanation of this production:

She sure belted out a few like this one:

https://duckduckgo.com/?va=b&t=hc&q=Linda+Ronstadt+and+Mariachi+Vargas+-+La+Charreada&iax=videos&ia=videos&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DR-k4eEStQa0

and this one!

https://duckduckgo.com/?va=b&t=hc&q=Linda+Ronstadt+and+Mariachi+Vargas+-+La+Charreada&iax=videos&ia=videos&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Drn3SeUTuyEY
Good singer, but lefty kook. Nobody wants to go to a concert they paid for and hear a political activist rant. She and the Dixie Chicks come to mind.

Ron
Incredible talent, cute as a button. Big Lefty of course, but that’s almost a given in the industry.

She had a “good run” as she says, before her health problems began, much longer than most. There’s a lot of her material on YT. I binge it occasionally.
Originally Posted by Crash_Pad
Simple Dreams is the title of her autobiography. She lived them purely and passionately, gave it all. Sexiest thing alive when she hit her stride, blowing the top of what female vocalists were thought capable of. An incomparable voice. A powerful, expressive soul to propel it. She wasn’t political at all then. Remarkable person of rare talent.

Alla that and she was hot too 😎
Originally Posted by Azshooter
She was also quite diverse in her singing. One of her last efforts was making Canciones de mi Padre. The culture she grew up in Tucson incorporates this music to this day.

Mariachi music always grates on my ears, even makes a set of pipes like Linda Ronstadt’s sound harsh and strident IMHO.

They’re better in Catholic masses or at funerals when they are more subdued.
She had a five-octave range, which is almost unheard of. She could sing very low notes, as well as the very high notes.
Friend of mine drove a limo for a while in the 70s. Drove her from the hotel to the concert venue. Saw her without makeup. It's showbiz. But she was a good performer, and that's the job.

Had another friend who got into photography. He was into black and white and color without a flash in low light. He got a picture of her during the song with the weed, whites and wine lyrics. She had her hand up pointing with her index finger and the spotlight put her shadow on the bass drum. Several of her fans bought copies from him. I think he sent a picture to her but never heard back.
Great summary of her career, induction to Rock and Roll Hall of Fame by the late Glen Frey. 31 albums 100 million records sold.

Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by Azshooter
She was also quite diverse in her singing. One of her last efforts was making Canciones de mi Padre. The culture she grew up in Tucson incorporates this music to this day.

Mariachi music always grates on my ears, even makes a set of pipes like Linda Ronstadt’s sound harsh and strident IMHO.

They’re better in Catholic masses or at funerals when they are more subdued.

Mariachi is just one genre of Mexican music among several, and her two Canciones albums reflect that. I don't much care for mariachi either.

IIRC, she isn't fluent in Spanish, so really had to work on it to do those two albums. More tribute to her work ethic?
Saw her in concert in Pittsburgh probably in the late 70's.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Alla that and she was hot too 😎

I had such a renewed crush on her a while back, I almost sent her flowers. Sad to see her weakened state, but still cute and down to Earth. Now stoic, still modest. Binge listened to virtually all of her stuff, except Mexican and opera. Her Patsy Cline is so powerful, her voice better and equally impassioned. Not better, just respectful and true. Her sexy red see through underwear shot with the gold cross is memorable for sure, although she would never have allowed it. Annie Lebovitz betrayed her.
Yes, liked her music

One of my good friends (died a few years ago) wrote that song. I called him Disco Clint. He didn't like it at first, but warmed up to it.
Originally Posted by hillestadj

Boomers that haven't quite caught on yet, this right here, we call this a clue.

Ironically, Clint's dog was named Boomer. He was a huge black standard poodle.
Originally Posted by Longbob

One of my good friends (died a few years ago) wrote that song. I called him Disco Clint. He didn't like it at first, but warmed up to it.

Sorry to hear of your loss, it is a rare song that can be a hit for a number of different singers in what I think of as different genres and over many years. That is quite an accomplishment. In any case, I find it hard to pick a favorite over Dee Dee, Betty, or Linda as each appeals to a different part of me.

That song was a source of contention between my wife and I. She insisted Ronstadt was the original singer, I claimed it was Betty Everett. I discovered neither was correct when I looked it up but I claimed I was "less wrong". That didn't go over well...
No.
Jerry Brown?
Linda could deliver a song. No one did it better. Emmylou comes close. ♥️
So you are Denzel?
She is my favorite female vocalist of all time. Very, very few can cover the ground she did.
I saw her in concert many moons ago. She wore an abbreviated Girl Scout uniform . Man that tripped my trigger .
Count me in as a fan. Never liked her politics, but, damn, she was easy on the eyes and ears. Saw her, the Eagles and pure Prairie League at Mile High July 1976. Still pull out her compact discs from time to time.
Mos definitely
Vocals, yes. Democrat dufus loser, NOPE.
Nope
Good music but a far left flaming liberal
Linda Ronstadt performed with Russell Kunkel along with Waddy Wachtel and Danny Kortchmar and Leland Sklar ~ what a killer lineup all the way around.
She is my favorite. I cannot think of anyone else who was so great in different genres. Her work with Nelson Riddle was awesome.
I never got into her music for some reason, can't explain why! Probably cuz my ex-wife liked her!

GR
She was a little before my time, but growing up we had three cassette tapes in the car - Eagles greatest hits, Jackson Browne's Running on Empty, and Linda Ronstadt's greatest hits. I really enjoy her music.
She was a very good singer.
Originally Posted by Huntz
I saw her in concert many moons ago. She wore an abbreviated Girl Scout uniform . Man that tripped my trigger .
Cub Scout! Pants cut off to shorts. Truly sexy idea. Her recorded interview back in the 70's on the beach shows what an intelligent, thoughtful person she was. Very confident and determined. Her parental lineage on both sides was also and quite successful for generations.
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Give it a rest
One of the best female vocalist of all time; IMHO.
Willie Nelson once said, "There are two types of men in the world: those that love Linda Ronstadt, and those that never heard of her."
Dolly Parton once said that Linda was the only vocalist she ever met who could sing any song from any genre and make it sound beautiful
Originally Posted by Houston_2

A talented lady with what appears to be serious health issues currently thought to be Parkinson’s but later determined to be a form of palsy.
That was her first public performance? Really?
So many of these references are past tense. Did she die?
Originally Posted by CCCC

Maybe first TV performance? I saw Linda Ronsatdt and the Stone Poney's at a free show on The Quad at The University of Alabama in 1969.
Past tense, because she came down with an ailment in 2009, and lost her voice. Very sad. She is still alive.

Her work with Nelson Riddle on What's New is impeccable. We play that album once every 2 weeks.
Her rendition of Desperado is my favorte
Originally Posted by hungryhollow
Her rendition of Desperado is my favorte
That really boosted the Eagles. She was very generous in helping establish their success.
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Give it a rest

Why?
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
Originally Posted by CCCC

Maybe first TV performance? I saw Linda Ronsatdt and the Stone Poney's at a free show on The Quad at The University of Alabama in 1969.

I saw her that year indoors at UAB in a small capacity auditorium. Did the show with the Stone(ed) Ponies. Same tour I’m sure. Newbies making a name. Came on stage and said “glad to be here, love the city love the state, and your governor sucks chicken dicks !” (Sound of air collectively being sucked through a soda straw by a couple hundred attendees). George Corely Wallace was of course governor at the time. She was a talent for sure.
She was the niece of Al Ronstadt, a close friend of Jack O'Connor back in his Arizona days.
Liked her music. Still do I suppose. Tough to just listen and not recall her politics. It’s a shame such talented people can’t focus on their crafts I get the same feelings from other entertainment and entertainers such as DeNiro, DixieChicks, NFL, etc…. .

As an aside, later in her career I could never get past her resemblance to Shirley (Cindy Williams) of Laverne and Shirley. The hair cut I guess.
I thought she was fantastic, never really got the accolades she deserved.
Originally Posted by softailrider
I thought she was fantastic, never really got the accolades she deserved.

She was the top grossing female act in the world for several years running…..
I liked the hell out of here, never could decide if her or Pat Benatar could range the most octaves. Loved them both, voices & looks. Never gave a damn about their politics, just liked their music & wanted to do them both.
First heard her sing in public around the mid-60s sometime - local stuff. From the start she had great rhythm and energy, and excellent sense about what to do with a song - how to present. I was not at all a fan of that type of music but her intonation, phrasing, energy and style were impressive. Later and through members of her extended family I would hear that things were going well for her with the original touring band and later when the Wrecking Crew came into play.

Of course, she worked right to the top. A natural. After years of hearing her on radio and seeing her on TV her it was old stuff - but good stuff. Then later I heard a couple of those standard ballads done with Nelson Riddle. Completely different genre - and very well done. Hats off to one fine singer.
She's so good
Originally Posted by wabigoon
The Lady can sing.

Not anymore.
Originally Posted by atvalaska

Ronstadt never married.
Originally Posted by GeoW

Ronstadt never married.
Most likely never found True Love. Sad.

Ronstadt never married.

Consider the Liberal dating pool.

[Linked Image from my.evilmilk.com]

GR
Originally Posted by Garandimal

Ronstadt never married.

GR

Picture looks like Biden's picks for government jobs.
I always liked Roy Orbison's version of Blue Bayou over Linda Ronstadt's version. She also did a version in Spanish, Lago Azul. A better Spanish version was done by Bibi Gaytan. Bibi was better looking too. lol
Originally Posted by Garandimal

Ronstadt never married.

GR

J. Edgar Hoover would have fit right in.
Hard to figure how Parkinson's disease silenced her singing voice, but she still speaks okay. Strange and sad, but Parkinson's has disabled and taken many.

Ronstadt never married.
She was a Mudshark, Arron Neville.
Originally Posted by Wrapids
Hard to figure how Parkinson's disease silenced her singing voice, but she still speaks okay. Strange and sad, but Parkinson's has disabled and taken many.

Parkinson’s was the original diagnosis, updated in 2019 to progressive supranuclear palsy. No idea what the difference is.
There's an Instagram page about her. Saw it earlier today. She's not well. She sings in her mind. It's sad really.
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk

Ronstadt never married.
She was a Mudshark, Arron Neville.

Lots of young girls are doing this today. They don’t date them, just hook up and move on. They still date white boys to pay the bills. The black dudes get all the gravy, with no responsibility.
Good singer real bad politics
© 24hourcampfire