Home
Posted By: Steve Multi-tool picks? - 03/30/24
In the market for a new multi-tool. My old Gerber got seized by TSA when flying back from a Grand Canyon float trip. Got another one planned in July and it's probably about time to get another one.

Any recommendations?
Leatherman wave +.
https://www.leatherman.com/wave-10.html
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Multi-tool picks? - 03/30/24
I liked the Wave better than the Wave+.

They really weakened up the pliers when they went to replaceable cutting edges.

Have broken a couple jaws off.
Posted By: kolofardos Re: Multi-tool picks? - 03/30/24
I've been abusing this SwissTool for 15 years and everything still works. It's well made but heavy.[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: ironbender Re: Multi-tool picks? - 03/30/24
Good thread on this down in the gear forum.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...cs/18392908/best-multi-tool#Post18392908
Posted By: GeoW Re: Multi-tool picks? - 03/30/24
Originally Posted by Steve
In the market for a new multi-tool. My old Gerber got seized by TSA when flying back from a Grand Canyon float trip. Got another one planned in July and it's probably about time to get another one.

Any recommendations?

Buy your old one back from one of the TSA auctions on ebay..
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Multi-tool picks? - 03/30/24
Used to carry a Leatherman Wave... switched to the Surge about 10 years ago.

It is heavy and it is expensive, but it is flat out the best I know of.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Multi-tool picks? - 03/30/24
I'm still on my Gerber Multi-tool from Desert Storm issue. I prefer the out the front pliers.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Multi-tool picks? - 03/30/24
I'm going on my 4th or 5th Charge TTI. I love 'em.

They make it 2-3 years before I lose 'em.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Multi-tool picks? - 03/30/24
I pretty much stopped looking at multi tools after getting a Wave. I'd used previous model Leathermans & thought the Wave to be several steps up & suited me perfect. Bought a backup & called it good.
Posted By: MichiGun Re: Multi-tool picks? - 03/30/24
Still using the Leatherman Wave I was issued at the Grayling Air Gunnery Range back in 1997.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Multi-tool picks? - 03/30/24
Get one of those $12 Winchester multi tools from Walmart.

You just goan drop it in the river
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Multi-tool picks? - 03/30/24
I am now rocking the ARC but I bought it at a significant discount. I generally have a skeletool on me at all times but the tolerances on the arc are actually tighter than on my Swiss Spirit X tool.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Multi-tool picks? - 03/30/24
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Have you started issuing them to your children yet?

Had a boss at one facility I worked at, bought them for the crew. No more excuses for walking back to the shop for a tool to fix some minor issue 100 yards out the other end of the place, or taking the Easy -Go buggy, stopping there to look for said screwdriver or pliers, maybe getting some coffee or a snack from the breakroom, remembering you needed to check some piece of equipment, and then forgetting about the issue you went to get the tool for.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

I still carry a regular Wave. Regrettably the "original" isn't available anymore.
Iffun' it wuz Idda recominded it. laugh
Posted By: stuvwxyz Re: Multi-tool picks? - 03/30/24
No need to surrender anything to the security people. Be prepared. In my travel bag is a mid-sized padded self-addressed envelope with plenty of stamps inside. The 2 times I got caught, I removed the tool, put it in the envelope and dropped it in the nearest mail receptacle.
Posted By: Steve Re: Multi-tool picks? - 03/30/24
It was a brain fart. Had it in my pelican carry-on. After two and a half weeks on the river, getting on the plane was a new world. Funny thing is they let my wife on with a small dry bag full rocks.
Posted By: Stammster Re: Multi-tool picks? - 03/30/24
SOG

I’ve had mine for over 30 years.
Posted By: Stump Buster Re: Multi-tool picks? - 03/30/24
SOG
Posted By: WhopperStopper Re: Multi-tool picks? - 03/30/24
I am still using the Original Super tool from 1995.

Hardly a day passes when I don't use it on something.

WS
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Multi-tool picks? - 03/30/24
Wave

I like the blades on the outside like a pocket knife
Comfortable in the hand, can ride a belt but not too big for a pants pocket. Pliers aren’t as robust as say a gerber, but I’ve bit my hands too many times on the gerber’s with the handle pinching my hand to care for them.

I liked some aspects of the surge, but too big to ride in a pocket comfortably.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Multi-tool picks? - 03/30/24
I like the Rebar.

Lil bit cheaper than Wave.

Also use on of the p2 free or what3ver it is.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Multi-tool picks? - 03/30/24
I used to carry a Gerber all the time. I could always identify mine by the notch in the wire cutter from cutting "Red Brand" fencing.

Yes, they pinch the palm of a hand once in a while. I understand the Leatherman is better in that regard.
Posted By: hardway Re: Multi-tool picks? - 03/30/24
I like the leatherman wave to…. Mine is black and silver but I buy the cheapos whenever I see them on sale for 9.99 or whatever…. Throw them in trucks, boats, whatever. Kids and wife all have one as well…. Good to have around.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Multi-tool picks? - 03/31/24
I carried one of the early Leathermans for years. The wire cutters go notched and I asked them if they could replace them. They sent me a new Wave which was fairly new on the market at that time. I carried it for years, using it almost every day. Then I retired about 10 years ago. I still carry a knife but seldom need the Wave any more. It's too heavy to carry just to be carrying it so it sits on my dresser.

I have an extra sheath for the Leatherman. I find that it's perfect for my Toyota keyless remote. It's much better than having it in my pocket. I never take it out. I just hit the door button to lock up.
Posted By: hardway Re: Multi-tool picks? - 03/31/24
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I have an extra sheath for the Leatherman. I find that it's perfect for my Toyota keyless remote.

This is awesome 😎
Posted By: richj Re: Multi-tool picks? - 03/31/24
another vote for Swisstool , unless you need scissors
Posted By: gunzo Re: Multi-tool picks? - 03/31/24
Brother made fun of me for my $70 Wave. Said, you just like to spend money. How bout this Great Neck from Auto Zone for 10 bucks. "LIFETIME WARRANTEE"
He might have repeated the last part about 5 times & had me guessing my choice.

A month or 2 later we're camping off the beaten path, midnight, drinking beer for hours with steaks on the fire. Heard brothers clacketyclack of his can opener when all the sudden,,,,,, PING!!!!

I knew the sound, a broken tool, the end flying off into the wild blue yonder. Thought I'd loose it, told him he should haul ass to town for his "WARRANTEE" or simply borrow my $70 Leatherman.

It was tough for me to accept for a while, but have tried to convince him that a quality purchase is the way to go in the long run. Cry once.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Multi-tool picks? - 03/31/24
Wide slip plyers.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Multi-tool picks? - 03/31/24
Can you google wide slip plyers Wabi?

Do they have screw driver blades, saws, rope cutters etc. Many with one handed operation? I might want some.
Posted By: MartinStrummer Re: Multi-tool picks? - 03/31/24
Gerber "Diesel"
Tough to beat!
I hate multipurpose tools! Multi-tools have gotten me out of way more jams than I care to mention!
Posted By: kolofardos Re: Multi-tool picks? - 03/31/24
Originally Posted by richj
It has scissors, look at the pic I posted
Posted By: 3dollarBill Re: Multi-tool picks? - 03/31/24
SwissTool almost looks like it was made by Leatherman.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Multi-tool picks? - 03/31/24
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Multi-tool picks? - 03/31/24
Originally Posted by Steve

Any recommendations?

Whenever I need a new Leatherman Wave, I just go to the airport and ask the chief of police for one and all the bear spray I can carry, and it’s free…
Posted By: slowr1der Re: Multi-tool picks? - 03/31/24
Another vote for a Leatherman Wave.

I get it that the owner is a douchebag and some people don't like Leatherman because of that, but nothing else really comes close.

I checked out a Surge as well and while it's not bad, it's a little on the big side for me. I prefer the Wave. I've been using mine for probably 20+ years. I've gifted several to others over the years, all of whom love them.

I've also tried several others brands, including Gerber, and they are all pretty terrible. I got my gf at the time a Gerber a few years back and it was horrendous. She ended up wanting to use it more than I expected, so I replaced it with a Wave for her, which she also likes significantly better.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Multi-tool picks? - 03/31/24
Originally Posted by slowr1der
Another vote for a Leatherman Wave.

I get it that the owner is a douchebag and some people don't like Leatherman because of that, but nothing else really comes close.

A lefty, treehugger type?

Or just a nerd?

Fee videos Ive seen interviewing him, seems he’s typical nerdy engineer type..

Ive worked with some like that…

Start talking on another level… 😂😂
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Multi-tool picks? - 03/31/24
I like the “medium” duty leathermans also.

The Rev, Wingman, Bolster…

The Wingman was a deal back when they were $30 or so.
Posted By: Hastings Re: Multi-tool picks? - 03/31/24
They make better but I carry a Gerber, a 6 inch Crescent wrench, and a good 4 inch auto opening lock blade knife. Seldom a day goes by that all 3 don't get used. Saves looking for pliers or a wrench for light work. I wonder how someone goes through a day without a knife. My wife doesn't carry one and all the time uses mine. Not sure what she does when I'm not around which is most of the day.
Posted By: rte Re: Multi-tool picks? - 03/31/24
Originally Posted by kolofardos
Originally Posted by richj
It has scissors, look at the pic I posted

The Victorinox SwissTool X has scissors.There are several more models of the SwissTool that don't have scissors.

The Victorinox Spirit X has scissors,other models don't.
Posted By: fburgtx Re: Multi-tool picks? - 03/31/24
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
I like the “medium” duty leathermans also.

The Rev, Wingman, Bolster…

The Wingman was a deal back when they were $30 or so.

I bought a BUNCH of Sidekicks one year, when Home Depot had them for like $17-$18. Others wanted $25-$30. Wasn’t even a clearance. That was just the asking price, 8-10 years ago. Made really good Bday and Xmas presents. Silly things are $70 plus, now.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Multi-tool picks? - 03/31/24
I can't remember when I bought my Gerber Multitool. Best guess is that it was in the early 1990s. It is very similar to this one, ( https://www.gerbergear.com/en-us/shop/multi-tools/all-multi-tools/multi-plier-600-basic-07550 ) except it is stainless colored and in addition to it's black nylon sheath, it came with an adapter that allowed various other screw driver tips to be used. I don't carry it, so it doesn't get used a lot.

A few years ago, I found this Leatherman Skeletool ( https://www.leatherman.com/skeletool-830845.html?geo=y ) in the melting snow on a City boulevard when I was seizing an illegaly placed realtor sign. I reached out to the realtor to see if it was his tool that he dropped when he placed his sign. I never recieved a response. It rode in my duty bag until I retired. It now sits in a dresser drawer. I guess I'm not a multitool guy.
© 24hourcampfire