Home
In my Top 3:

Got it all guitar, and steel.on the other neck, and his rhythm guy (on the right halfway through) is better than many in his own right.

Love Junior. Cranking live at the hall levels . . .
Also top 3:

Superb guitarist, superb recording. Superb piano and rhythm section.
And to round out the 3:

Just gawd!
I agree with Gunzo, SRV, The Sky is Crying.

I saw SRV live, in the tour right before he was killed. He and Jeff Beck would alternate who opened each night. On the night we watched, SRV went first, Jeff Beck was a letdown in comparison, and we left before Beck finished his set.
Riviera Paradise...SRV
There are only two kinds of songs; there's the blues, and there's zip-a-dee-doo-dah.

Originally Posted by tophorsecop
Riviera Paradise...SRV

His posthumous release of his version of "Little Wing" was a full PHD Doctorate in the art of ax wielding guitar playing. He fit notes and nuances in where you didn't even know they could fit.
Probably this one, but there are so many.

With ZZ it almost has to be this. Ol lady always... turn the TV down, turn tis or that down. But when I start this, she say's.. CRANK It UP!

If you haven't heard this album, well.....

The Thrill is Gone - from the BB King and Bobby Blue Bland Live Album where they invite a woman from the audience to sing with them - absolute magic.

Bell Bottom Blues - Eric Clapton

Loan Me a Dime - Allman Brothers
Statesboro blues,, T Bone walker
Sky is crying,, SRV
Loving you too long,, Otis Redding

and many others
Originally Posted by Cruiser1

Is that Sonny Bono?
"Strong Persuader"

Robert Cray
Someone posted a Son House song...he is probably the GOAT but I tend more toward rock blues. Can't say I have a favorite but this one is up there.

Originally Posted by Simplepeddler
Originally Posted by Cruiser1

Is that Sonny Bono?

Yes, that pic is from the cover of Cher's album 3614 Muscle Shoals Highway.The address of Muscle Shoals Sound where this version of Loan A Dime was recorded. BTW; the Muscle Shoals documentary is EXCELLENT.
Two versions

Can't remember the name but song was about how horrible the dudes ex-wife was. The best line in it was " She even turned me into the IRS".
while not strictly speaking a 'blues' song, this one by Kid Ory does come awfully close.
Is that Sonny Bono?[/quote]

Yes, that pic is from the cover of Cher's album 3614 Muscle Shoals Highway.The address of Muscle Shoals Sound where this version of Loan A Dime was recorded. BTW; the Muscle Shoals documentary is EXCELLENT.[/quote]

Them Swampers had it going on for sure!
i don't really like is comedy but...

For historical reasons, Jimmy Reed, the many, many songs he did, if you listen you hear the original chords and riffs of rock n roll music there. As he could not read or write music, his wife remembered his songs for him and sang his songs, softly behind him. In many of his recordings you can just hear her singing the words to him, as he sings into the mic.

Greg Allman's version.
James Cotton-You got my nose open and Down at your bury'n
Also...Gary Moore. Still got the blues for you.
Is there more than one blues song?
Always sounds like the same tune with different words to me, never cared for the blues.
Originally Posted by flatfish11

Thank you. Gary Moore is extremely overlooked in the US.
"The Loner" from the 1987 live concert in Stockholm is stunning.
Originally Posted by gsganzer
I agree with Gunzo, SRV, The Sky is Crying.

I saw SRV live, in the tour right before he was killed. He and Jeff Beck would alternate who opened each night. On the night we watched, SRV went first, Jeff Beck was a letdown in comparison, and we left before Beck finished his set.

Yep!!! 👍🏻

And EVERYONE ELSE was a letdown compared to SRV!

[video:youtube]
[/video]
This one ain't to bad for a Brit.

Sliding Delta, Mississippi John Hurt.
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

Thank you. Gary Moore is extremely overlooked in the US.
"The Loner" from the 1987 live concert in Stockholm is stunning.
He is horribly underrated. "Separate Ways" is another favorite of mine.

Maybe can’t pin down to one song, but favorite blues performer.

B B King The thrill is gone
Hard to pick a favorite. I'd have to go look but I must have maybe close to 50 albums/tapes/CDs with the "blues" on them

One of the originals and one of my favorites. I want it played at my memorial service for sure. A few versions

What's the blues without some Cab

And a more recent version by that guy that played House.

Pretty sure I didn't see any Elmore, and if I missed it.................oh well, more Elmore is always good.

Years ago, I tried to learn blues harmonica because of James Cotton. I learned real quick that (a) it's hard, and (b) I'd never sound even a fraction as good as him in a million years. James Cotton was a monster.

Hard to keep it to 1. These are ones I listen to frequently.

I WFH - so usually have youtube music lists playing - realized this is another that gets a lot of repeats from me lately.

Originally Posted by Mossie
B B King The thrill is gone
Indeed
Originally Posted by auk1124

Years ago, I tried to learn blues harmonica because of James Cotton. I learned real quick that (a) it's hard, and (b) I'd never sound even a fraction as good as him in a million years. James Cotton was a monster.

Yes he was. He was built for the blues. Sadly, he was pretty much unheard of. At least around here.
Not sure if I have a favorite, but if I did this might be it.

I've enjoyed this thread. Oddly, I didn't see any mention of Wilson Pickett?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-KluFB9A8M&ab_channel=Don%27sTunes

blues is heavily into rock n roll scene. some of our favorite songs are blues rock, esp Jimmi Hendrix and Joe Perry, he did an awesome job on making Red House. without the blues influence, we would go something like Bach or Beethoven.

there is so many songs that i can't even name them all.
"A world without Haggard" (Vince Gill).

"Kiss on a cold, cold stone" (Jesse Brock)

"Don't let the old man in" (Toby Keith)

I know these are what anyone would call 'modern' blues, but they still ring the bell - if you know what I mean..
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Clapton and Robbie Robertson , further on up the road.

Billie Holiday’s God Bless the Child, but I like the Blood Sweat and Tears version. Funny but I like both simple song arrangements, singer and one instrument or really complex arrangements. The BS&T version is a tight complex blues/jazz performance. Somebody find it for me.
Thanks ShaunRyan for an interesting thread - those three you posted as examples were excellent. Several others quite good as well.

Then again, if we are truly talking the blues - real hardcore traditional blues changes - some of the nice stuff here is not the blues IYKWIM..
Originally Posted by 54Woody
Billie Holiday’s God Bless the Child, but I like the Blood Sweat and Tears version. Funny but I like both simple song arrangements, singer and one instrument or really complex arrangements. The BS&T version is a tight complex blues/jazz performance. Somebody find it for me.

Is this what you are talking about..?

Srv. Anything really.
Honestly when I saw this thread the first thing to hit my mind was SRV's raspy opener "The sky is cryin"

Lots of great ones posted in this thread. Damn near impossible to narrow it to just one.
This one is pretty traditional.

Originally Posted by Higginez
Was there!! This brought back memories!
Yes it is.

The Bluest Blues, Alvin Lee
Shaun;
Evening sir, I hope you're well.

Since there's been none of him offered up yet, here's some Canadian content for blues night.

All the best.

Dwayne
Shaun;
Also, this one is likely my favorite blues song.

When my wife and I saw this in the theater back when we'd just moved to BC, we laughed and laughed.

Might have even seen it in a drive in way back then.

Albert Collins was great in this cameo too we thought.

Best.

Dwayne
Excellent choices there Dwayne
Geno;
Good evening my friend, I trust all is as well as possible anymore with you all down south of us.

Thanks for the comment, it's always a pleasure hearing from you.

My goodness when I looked up "Adventures in Babysitting" I saw it was 1987.

Where - exactly - did that time go, I'd like to know.

It's been a grand, grand run, don't get me wrong Geno and once more I've been blessed far, far more than anything I've ever done to deserve it.

But that said, it's been a faster ride than I'd anticipated.

Best to you all.

Dwayne
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Pride and Joy
Rory Gallagher - Bad Penny
ZZ Top - Just Got Paid (Joe Bonamassa, live version is pretty cool as well)
Originally Posted by Steve
Not sure if I have a favorite, but if I did this might be it.

+1
Lotsa classics posted.

A new contender:

Great thread. There is a lot of very good music I’d never heard in this thread.
Boomboomboom...big head Todd and the monsters
© 24hourcampfire