Home
In fear of breaking

Utah DNR making all efforts to repair

Lake sits at 8200' elevation..Panguitch Utah town sits downstream

Warm trend coming...only to melt snow pack at 10K' above

https://www.ksl.com/article/5097846...so-far-at-panguitch-lake-authorities-say
Hope they git er drained below the cracks in time. I vaguely remember when the Teton dam failed and Flooded Rexburg. Not a good time when a dam breaks.
In the mid 80s the Oakley damn south of burley nearly overflowed and broke. The army engineers came and dug a canal 20 miles to drain it into the snake. They ripped right through roads and everything just as fast as they could and avoided another teton dam like disaster.

Bb
When the levee breaks, momma you got to move . . .
I think that dam is doomed. The first videos of it on the news showed a crack and some seepage. The shots last night showed streams of water gushing from two places. Once water gets started, it's game over.
Mess around with Mother Nature and find out….
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
Hope they git er drained below the cracks in time. I vaguely remember when the Teton dam failed and Flooded Rexburg. Not a good time when a dam breaks.
The Teton dam just collapsed with no warning. At least with this one they've had some times to get out ahead of it. I hope they're smart enough to do so.
News this morning says they've made some progress.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
News this morning says they've made some progress.

https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/a...t-panguitch-lake-dam-mitigation-efforts/
Been on that lake a few times - very good trout fishing every time - decent NF campground nearby.

The town downhill would not necessarily be a great loss, but hope they get it fixed to protect the folks and their stuff.
The president of the company that owns the Panguitch Lake Dam said ice caused cracking in the dam, damage that was discovered on Monday. Officials added that ice pressure and high water levels caused a section of the dam to crack and tilt.

The Panguitch Lake Dam is owned and operated by the West Panguitch Irrigation Company, an agriculture irrigation company that provides water for farmers and ranchers to grow their crops and tend their livestock, but also for Panguitch City.

The dam was built in 1872 and last modified in 1942, according to Utah’s dam safety database. Allen Henrie, president of the West Panguitch Irrigation Company, said that the 1942 modification added two feet to the existing dam. The current crack, Henrie said, is where that two-foot cap meets the rest of the dam.

“Ice got under that cap and lifted it a little bit, and that’s where it’s leaking,” he told The Salt Lake Tribune.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/other/what-we-know-about-the-panguitch-lake-dam-crack/ar-BB1lpQwR
We need pitchers
Originally Posted by jaguartx
We need pitchers

This thing does not look very robust.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Tikkanut: The VarmintWife and I just went through the town of Panguitch (twice) on our just completed 9 day tour of Utah, Arizona and New Mexico.
Pretty country - I hope no one will be harmed.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
© 24hourcampfire