Home
Posted By: Higginez Black Death in Durham, CA. - 04/15/24
Well, Nelson anyway.

Was headed home yesterday and saw three water buffalo of all things, just a few miles south of our house! First thought was Cape Buff! LOL!!!

Called a buddy and he knew all about them. Local rice farmer is thinking they will eat down rice straw which they can't burn anymore. Said they are all three pregnant.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
There are some around here. Some farmers are using them to sell fresh milk to get around the dairy quota. Has something like 7-8% milk fat.
Hig you must owe that one in the middle money..
That’s cool. Whatever comes out the ass end of them will be smarter than Newsome and Sacramento put together…smell better than them too. 😉
I remember the days of rice farmers burning their rice field stubble. Huge fires. Smoke blanketing the valley.
Posted By: Stix Re: Black Death in Durham, CA. - 04/15/24
Happiness is a burnt rice field.
Utterly awesome. I'd love to have a couple water buffalo just for grins.
Originally Posted by Morewood
I remember the days of rice farmers burning their rice field stubble. Huge fires. Smoke blanketing the valley.

Corn fields as well. Black ash all over everything. Dad used to make brother and I blow off walks, patios, driveways and cars daily as well as scoop out pool. Horrible I know.😂
Posted By: Alan_C Re: Black Death in Durham, CA. - 04/15/24
I went to Ione high school in the 74-77 and when the valley burnt their fields, it would block out the sun for a few days and you could smell the smoke. I like the buffalo usage. Hope it works out.
Posted By: BMT Re: Black Death in Durham, CA. - 04/15/24
I was at UC Davis when the greenies were trying to stop the burning. They had not discovered “climate change” yet so they claimed that burning rice put silica in the air and would kill us just like asbestos.

Just a bunch of people who did not understand that we were trading smoky air one week a year to feed millions.

Mao Zedong chose starvation of millions
Posted By: CCCC Re: Black Death in Durham, CA. - 04/15/24
When first saw that OP photo - thought this might be another LBP girl thread.
Originally Posted by Stix
Happiness is a burnt rice field.

Yes, it is.

Smoke, is the end of their season for those farmers.
Posted By: hardway Re: Black Death in Durham, CA. - 04/15/24
People still grow Rice up there ? It’s not all planted in Almonds like here?
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Hig you must owe that one in the middle money..
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: 1minute Re: Black Death in Durham, CA. - 04/15/24
They were given a try here. SE Oregon. Too cold at 4,200ft in the winters. Rancher said they are bitch for about 3 days post calving actually trying to climb on the feed wagon. After that period, they could care less.
3?

Know nothing about water Buffalo or rice straw, but I can't imagine 3 Buffalo eating
enough to matter much. Probably do a better job breaking it down and working it into the ground.

Does rice straw have any significant nutritional value.
Most common thing here is to let the fields catch water in the fall, let ducks feed and eat weed seed, espicialy red rice, and then use rollers with cleats that push the straw into the mud. Rots pretty quick then. miles
They burn it for a month around here. Makes many people sick. Miserable time of year.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
3?

Know nothing about water Buffalo or rice straw, but I can't imagine 3 Buffalo eating
enough to matter much.

Are you serious?
© 24hourcampfire