Home
Posted By: ironbender Something Else Learned - 04/16/24
One-coat coverage paint isn’t.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Something Else Learned - 04/16/24
Well I guess not....if you just gotta cover everything.

Adds a nice rustic charm really....like dryer tub grill.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Something Else Learned - 04/16/24
Originally Posted by ironbender

And deck stain is only good for X number of years if X = 1.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Something Else Learned - 04/16/24
The fine print says apply 4 coats of primer 'then' you can get one coat coverage.

sick
Posted By: ironbender Re: Something Else Learned - 04/16/24
Originally Posted by ol_mike
The fine print says apply 4 coats of primer 'then' you can get one coat coverage.

sick
What brand is that?
Posted By: Mwbyler Re: Something Else Learned - 04/16/24
I have covered a red wall with black using the home depot behr marquee with one coat, not sure why you don't think it can be done.
Using Behr Dynasty. Then again I’m putting white over lime green. 🤣

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Plus, textured wall.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Something Else Learned - 04/16/24
But will 40 year shingles last 40 years?
Posted By: poboy Re: Something Else Learned - 04/16/24
Your wall has a bow in it.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Something Else Learned - 04/16/24
I have had very good luck with Behr Ultra (or better).

I use Floetrol to ease out cost and typically double/triple roll when applying.

BUT... covering THAT green...

Well... Good luck.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Something Else Learned - 04/16/24
Using Behr Dynasty. Then again I’m putting white over lime green. 🤣

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I have to ask

was lime green your choice to begin with? I can't really talk, I let my wife choose the color of our kitchen and she went with a similar color. I know prospective buyers are going to repaint it immediately.

I plan on painting my house this fall and I thru an auction site, I bought an airless HVLP paint sprayer. I am hoping it provides me with a better painting experience than the last time I brush painted the house
Posted By: Raeford Re: Something Else Learned - 04/16/24

The fine print just doesn't spec to what degree .
Posted By: Crockettnj Re: Something Else Learned - 04/16/24
Originally Posted by Mwbyler
I have covered a red wall with black using the home depot behr marquee with one coat, not sure why you don't think it can be done.

That new stuff is actually a pretty decent paint. I used it in the new house and its been great coverage.
Seem to recall that one coat coverage meant if you were painting over the same color.

Had to paint over a purple wall with beige once. First coat actually diminished it quite a bit. Second coat took care of it. HD paint.
When my girl kid was 7th? grade, she wanted to paint her room. I said sure, let’s go pick a color. Lime green is still her favorite color.

Knew one day I’d have to repaint. That day is today. 😏

The Behr paint one-coat guarantee* only applies to certain colors. It actually did well covering, but a second coat is necessary.

* ◆Guaranteed one-coat hide excludes untinted bases, colors outside of the BEHR DYNASTY® & MARQUEE® One-Coat Color Collection and all other interior and exterior colors that have not been included as one-coat hide from other BEHR palettes. Multiple coats required when: 1) Painting over uncoated, porous, heavily textured or repaired exterior surfaces. 2) Over woods that contain tannins such as redwood or cedar. 3) Applying over heavy stains, which may require spot priming, multiple coats, and/or longer dry time. Two coats are also recommended for optimal durability when painting exterior surfaces. ◊A primer coat may be needed on some surfaces. See back label for details.
Posted By: victoro Re: Something Else Learned - 04/16/24
Originally Posted by 5sdad

And deck stain is only good for X number of years if X = 1.

I can't find the oil based stain I used to use on my utility trailer bed and fence anymore.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Something Else Learned - 04/16/24
I had a bathroom that was painted O.D. green, I used primer tinted like the new color and got one coat coverage.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Something Else Learned - 04/16/24
Mike, betting you use 1 ply TP, too !!!!!!!!!!!

Hahaha
Posted By: rainshot Re: Something Else Learned - 04/16/24
Try painting over black! A friend's ex-wife rented the three story house he built for her to a couple (Black/White) and They painted most of the rooms black. Tiled over all the beautiful tile in the bath's with surplus tile stuff. Did a horrific job. Trashed the house and couldn't pay the rent. She didn't' have the presence of mind to make them pay a deposit so he's left with the mess. He's had to completely redo the entire house. He painted over those rooms 4-5 times and still comes out gray. I told him to take her to court for spousal abuse, sell the house, pocket the profit and then sue.
My son also wanted to paint his room. He wanted black w orange trim. 😳

Line item veto on that one.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Something Else Learned - 04/16/24
Mr. Griner somehow ain't? Is??? ???????
Posted By: Crash_Pad Re: Something Else Learned - 04/16/24
Originally Posted by muleshoe
But will 40 year shingles last 40 years?
On a steep roof in moderate climate, absolutely. My lifetime fake slate didn’t make 8.
Posted By: AKCHOPPER Re: Something Else Learned - 04/16/24
Looks like the Bender family are Seahawk fans!

Book it.
Paint in the southwest is doing pretty well if it goes much over 5 years, anymore. (Used to figure 3)
Asphalt shingles MIGHT make 20, metal with baked-on enamel, may make 30 years, but only light colors go any longer.

Sun here is brutal - and the hailstorms don't help!
Posted By: ironbender Re: Something Else Learned - 04/17/24
That room is done. Moving on to the hallway.
© 24hourcampfire