Home
Posted By: papalondog Walkie Talkie - 04/22/24
Getting older and going to try to keep better track of our hunting party. No cell service most places. What is the best walkie talkies we can get?
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Walkie Talkie - 04/22/24
Baofeng.
Posted By: Direct_Drive Re: Walkie Talkie - 04/22/24
'
Here's one of your neighbors that started a thread about this subject.
https://www.ifish.net/threads/back-country-communication.1702305/#post-17037814

FRS vs. GMRS
https://midlandusa.com/blogs/blog/about-frs-and-gmrs-two-way-radio-communication
Posted By: Stickfight Re: Walkie Talkie - 04/23/24
How far apart are you all and what sort of terrain?

Line of sight makes things easy. Stuff in between increases the difficulty level very quickly, as does the need to license everyone talking depending on the details.
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Walkie Talkie - 04/23/24
I suggest you do a search with your zip code and Ham Club. In general Hams like helping people shop for gear cool They can help you with terrain mapping software if you provide them with GPS location of your hunting area.

No license required units might work fine but as mentioned it's line of sight. If you don't have line of sight ask the club about testing sessions to earn your Technician level license. The first level test is not hard. There are likely Ham radio repeaters on ridge tops near the area you hunt. If you radio can see the tower the repeater will retransmit the signal so others in different areas can hear it.

Suggest you avoid Baofeng they are "value priced" but tend to have problems.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Walkie Talkie - 04/23/24
Half of my reasons for getting out there are to get away from all of our technology. I did my first and only guided elk outing a few years back, and the guide insisted I pack a phone in case he made a sighting while we were separated. What a pain in the ass. I probably got 15 spam calls that week, and all of his communications amounted to "nothing to see here." I did score a bull, but phones and radios had nothing to do with it.

Our party has a doings briefing each morning over breakfast and that's what we do. No need to track one another, and I'm not going to be talking on some radio while stalking though the woods or on a stand uttering that universal question of "can you hear me now."

Maybe some of those Rhino GPS tracking radios?
Posted By: 7mm_Loco Re: Walkie Talkie - 04/23/24
Breaker one nine this here's the Rubber Duck... you got a copy on me Pigpen, C'mon!...
Posted By: RAS Re: Walkie Talkie - 04/23/24
I use a Garmin Inreach for emergencies or communication when I’m a no cell area. The battery lasts many days and I keep it on constantly. No spam. Only communication I need to have, and can get emergency texts from home.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Walkie Talkie - 04/23/24
Great thread to follow, lots of sunspot outages lately too.
© 24hourcampfire