Home
I hate it.
Better than knee-deep schitmud calving?
Cow work for 6 months straight and now we have to start farming while still doing even more cow work with branding and hauling them out of here on semi trucks.

My LEAST favorite time of year.

Not whining though.
Two pairs of twins, and about twelve calves on the ground. Calving and doing field work keeps busy.
Finally time to plant sweet corn and potatoes.

After the dentist appointment in the morning might get something done.
Any pictures Sam?
I don't want to start mowing the show lawn but most of my neighbors have already beat me to the punch.

Caught the first wood tick of the year last week. Won't be long and the flies and mosquitoes(and grasshoppers...) will be wrecking havoc once again.
Start?
Winter oats just came off the fields and the first cutting of alfalfa was happening today by my cousins.

Full swing out here.

No cow work for me though.
Originally Posted by RUM7

Consider yourself blessed.
Skeeter bit me yesterday peeling logs in the yard.
I dislike most bugs.
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Consider yourself blessed.
Thought the beef homies were killing it.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
They will drive you crazy.

I'm not kidding.

I'm not kidding.
Obviously. Look at Wabi.

I'm not kidding.

Er
Ticks are out here already too and the skeeters won't be far behind. I hate bugs! I have a few more days of killing Beaver for the county left and then I can start thinking about walleyes, boats and beer.
Funny that Sam dislikes this season.

My buddy who ranches in Lakeview Oregon likes this time of year.

It’s the dead of winter he hates.

I do appreciate Sam’s summer time pictures and posts though.
Sam...Do you grow produce crops or just feed (Hay, alfalfa, etc) for the cows?
The part I don't like is trying to keep up.

Lazy by nature and the schedule is annoying....lol

It is a crazy time when everything needs to be planted, watered, sprayed, mowed, and on and on and on.... ..

Ok Sam, you're convincing me.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Why are you peeling logs?
Originally Posted by Colorado14er
Sam...Do you grow produce crops or just feed (Hay, alfalfa, etc) for the cows?

We do spring wheat, hay barley, silage corn, alfalfa, dryland prairie hay, etc.. Nothing fancy.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Why are you peeling logs?

Because they have bark on them. Duh!

It is a crazy time when everything needs to be planted, watered, sprayed, mowed, and on and on and on.... ..

Enjoy a cold beer fuucker.
nice to here big Sam

Enjoy a cold beer fuucker.
Done and done.
28/12's was a joy on the Caspian Sea. That said, when I was off, I was off.
Dryland prairie hay, that's a new term for me. I used to think that hay fields were hay fields. Never realized how much difference there can be in a bale of grass.
Addn ya to the pear list sam........hang in there pard.
I dislike most bugs.
damn, fleas are bad this year, sprayed the yard last week.
Skeeters here … baled beardless wheat last Friday. Calving now.. spray and fertilizer this week.. busy
Cow work for 6 months straight and now we have to start farming while still doing even more cow work with branding and hauling them out of here on semi trucks.

Not whining though.

LOL...

I get it...

I'm building... and hauling around all these big ass heavy timbers... cutting roads and pads... and gonna work the concrete in my spare time.

But I ain't whining either.

I reckon it is what men do...

Vs.

Drink NyQuil all day...
Originally Posted by stxhunter
I dislike most bugs.
damn, fleas are bad this year, sprayed the yard last week.

Beneficial nematodes.
yeah must be real depressing selling those 2000 $ 2500 $ calves boo hoo!!!!!
The big ranch has around 500 calves on the ground all told. Alfalfa work will start first of June or so after the brandings. Can’t raise anything else due to the hungry onslaught of elk.
Just about done lambing.

Had a good season really. Finally figured out how to flush them and then feed them in the last trimester.

Lot of twins and a bunch of triplets.

Got started rolling hay fields today. Fugging rough. It's damn dry and hard for April.

Not whining however.

Calving is a little ways off yet.

We changed plans and are trying to buy an air seeder right now. Was going to buy a larger tractor with a 3 pt to pull our disc drill....but decided we didn't need another old pile.

In the meantime we will start working ground tomorrow with a cultivator and our lighter disc.

We bought all new disc blades for our drill....and will get it fixed regardless. We will start sending one way or another.
Love this time of year, even though it does get a little busy. The bass are post-spawn so we can start feeding again, don’t have to worry about Oregon shutting down I84 because of rumored snow, and retail customers are showing up in force. Washington should come pick up their $&@%$ catfish in a couple of weeks, so we’re hatching like crazy so we can fill all the raceways back up right after.

First rattler today.
Did ya run over the rattler with your Maverick?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I've got hay fever like a mo-fo right now.
Worst part of spring for me. Drugs are helping a bit.

Not whining though.
You could always start up a goose farm Sam.
I hate it.
I love it... Gets me outta the house and into the fields.. Spent 7.5 hours yesterday in an IH STX 375 pulling a 40' digger, prepping the field for the planter... Gonna be 9 hours today - trying to get as much tilled as possible before the expected rains hit tomorrow..
We have 2 balers left to go through before we start cutting. Finished with the lime, fertilizer and spraying a week ago. The grind a weather watching is fixing to start. Hope everyone has a good season.
Spring can be a very busy time. I just finished putting down 70 gallons of 2-4D in and on the perimeter of our yard. Trying to slow the onslaught of Dandelions and Clover.

Now trying to clean-up the swimming pool that resembles a pond! Also, bee hives to assemble and paint. Lawn mowing, getting the lawn irrigation system going, back porch railing to install, clean and re stain same porch, a chicken coop to finish, some garden/chicken run fencing and gates to install, a large tree stump to remove, plus a bunch of other little things. All of that in the yard.

Hopefully, will make the time to rebuild my 2 target frames. The 100 yrd and 300 yrd frames are pretty much “shot to hell”. They can barely hold-up the rubber stall mat that I “stick pin” my targets on!

Then there’s a little tractor work…..blade and bush hogging on the back 40.

Some of which I should be doing, in stead of spending time on forums! 🤬 memtb
I saw the first air seeder going around here yesterday. I’m guessing it will hit full speed after the rain we are supposed to get the next couple days. About ormal timing for here in northern ND. Edk

Not whining though.

SUCK IT UP SAM you love the life an i am sure you not giving it up,,smile,, we all have those days no matter what we do.

Norm
© 24hourcampfire