Home
What is the problem in selling a rifle to someone who lives in Alaska? I am thinking of selling a rifle that seems to be more popular there and always read where sellers note that they won’t ship to Alaska.
I shipped a rifle to an Anchorage FFL about 2 months ago.

I.guess some folks won't ship to AK because of the cost shipping . It will be expensive.-$100 to $150+ fully insured.

As lomg as the buyer pays the shipping, I do not see an issue.
Its should not be an issue as long as its going to an FFL, its just expensive is the biggest issue for most.
I shipped to Alaska and didn't find price to be out of line, about the same as shipping to the east coast from where I live. The buyer told me that the government subsidizes the shipping to AK. I don't know if that is true. Shipping anything has really gotten to be expensive, seems like it has doubled in the lat couple of years.
Originally Posted by jk16

I.guess some folks won't ship to AK because of the cost shipping . It will be expensive.-$100 to $150+ fully insured.

USPS was that expensive?
Originally Posted by Switch
I shipped to Alaska and didn't find price to be out of line, about the same as shipping to the east coast from where I live. The buyer told me that the government subsidizes the shipping to AK. I don't know if that is true. Shipping anything has really gotten to be expensive, seems like it has doubled in the lat couple of years.

How long ago did you ship a gun to AK?

Shipping costs have pretty much DOUBLED in the last 10 years.
Originally Posted by Strop10
Originally Posted by jk16

USPS was that expensive?

Yes.

A rifle sized box with full value insurance is easily $100 via "USPS Ground".
I received a rifle a rifle here in SE Alaska from the Dallas/Fort Worth area last fall via USPS Ground Advantage, the postage was $67 with insurance and it took five days. One from Montana this winter and the cost was similar.

You can calculate the USPS postage here: https://postcalc.usps.com/.

I just estimated a 14 lb package, with dimensions of 46" x 5" x 11" and get a cost of $95 FOR Priority mail from western Kentucky (Hopkinsville) to interior Alaska (Fairbanks), Ground Advantage is $59. If I change the destination zip codes to some tiny remote village in the bush like Wainwright (Arctic Coast) or Nikolski (Aleutian Islands) the prices are the same. Insurance will be extra.

I wouldn't use FedEx or UPS.
© 24hourcampfire