Home
Posted By: wabigoon A question for wheat fatmers? - 04/28/24
Can you buy ammonium nitrate?
If you really don't know how to spell, go back to the 3rd grade and learn, you are not funny!
Yes it’s cheaper
It is used on thousands of acres in the wheat belt. It is bought by the ton.
Wabigoon,

Ammonium Nitrate has been employed effectively in the past, but there are better materials these days.
FIL had some straight nitro left ovr yrs back give me a 55 gal drum told me to put it on my yard wet yr and all 🤯🤯🤯mowed that schit 4x a week😂
I think they call it urea now. I asked for a couple bags last spring and they loaded up urea pellets
Best thing for hay is triple 19 more bang for ur buck
We are doing pretty well, Jake was spreading urea in the rain. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by slumlord
I think they call it urea now. I asked for a couple bags last spring and they loaded up urea pellets
Urea and Ammonium Nitrate are quite different. NO3 nitrate is the form that is usable to plants. When applying Urea it takes time for conversion to NO3, it’s not quite as available to plants. Of course someone made a big nitrate bomb and blew up a federal building a few years ago, now it’s tough to get unblended ammonium nitrate…
Urea is wasted over 50 degrees and in sunlight.
Goddam I need rain on my poor garden
Thie is 100 pounds on the ground[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
My brother farms Wheat in west central Ks. He has a liquid nitrogen applied in April.
18-0-0 or 18-46-0.
Originally Posted by viking
18-0-0 or 18-46-0.

32-0-0
Liquid N can burn off as well.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Urea is wasted over 50 degrees and in sunlight.

Yeah right, this has been up in shop all last summer. Survived many 95 degree days and didn’t magically vanish.

I side dress with this

Typical shît talk of the internet

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I don't know much about the finer details of wheat farming but we screw around seed spring every year on our dry land ground.

And sometimes we top dress about 100lbs of urea ahead of the drill and run about 100lbs of a 'starter blend' of fertilizer through the drill along with the seed. We also spread a chit load on our little irrigated corn patch.

You pretty much want to get the urea rained in or worked in ASAP especially if it's hot. I forget the volatilization versus temp losses but it does occur.
Types of wheat?
I have a friend who uses pellet urea on his sidewalks in the winter instead of salt. He claims it greens up his grass along the sidewalk instead of killing it out with the salt. I can see the logic of applying it in the cold and as it melts it incorporates into the soil.

kwg
Our Daughter's garden needs ,0029 of a pound of Urara
I generally spread p&k with light nitrogen in the fall. then it was straight and nitrogen in the spring.

there's also a newer type of urea out and I cannot recall the name at the moment that has a very low dissipation rate in the Sun and Air and can sit on the ground for longer period of time with less loss in case one misses the rainfall.
We spray wheat with liquid nitrogen which is cheaper. Urea is what we use on pasture and hay ground. Put 150 pounds an acre on some yesterday, and it hasn't rained yet, so hopefully it will in the next day or so. I've not seen ammonium nitrate in bags in years, and have not seen it in the bulk either. When I grew tobacco, I sidedressed it with ammonium nitrate, or sodium nitrate. Ammonium nitrate would sure make it take off and grow.
It makes the grass grow.
Our Daughter's garden needs ,0029 of a pound of Urara
JFC I could piss that much 🤣
The last wheat I grew was Butte ‘ 86. Been awhile eh
Types of wheat?

Whadya want it for?
Hard red?
Soft red?
Soft white?
I use soft red to make flour.
Liquid ammonium nitrate is applied into the soil where it immediately bonds to the soil.
Pelletized works, but it doesn’t go as readily into the soil.
[Linked Image from 4.bp.blogspot.com]
© 24hourcampfire