Home
Posted By: mathman Gin & Tonic - 07/26/07
Who else likes them?

I was feeling thirsty and dry so I went for a favorite quencher. I made one with the last of a bottle of Boodles, so the next one got Bombay Sapphire. What's your pleasure?
Posted By: Mike_in_OR86 Re: Gin & Tonic - 07/26/07
(seagrams) 7 & 7 (up). Or you can't beat an ice cold Coors Light
Posted By: Bulletbutt Re: Gin & Tonic - 07/26/07
I drink it mainly for the quinine in the tonic water..it prevents leg cramps.
Posted By: shootinurse Re: Gin & Tonic - 07/26/07
A Bombay g&t is just fine. also partial to a mint julip, or just a jigger of 10yr old bourbon on the rocks. Of course, a Sam Adams or Yuengling lager goes down well, too.
Posted By: Violator22 Re: Gin & Tonic - 07/26/07
So do bananas, so I drink Banana liquor. grin
Posted By: WGM Re: Gin & Tonic - 07/26/07
I got drunk on gin a couple of times in my younger years ... got sick as a dog both times as well ...

I've tasted gin a few times since then, but never could warm up to it, so it's not on my list of adult beverages at all anymore ...

gimme a good 12 year old (or older) single malt scotch over an ice cube or two, and I'm good to go ...
You can also ski on them...just not very far. grin
Posted By: Jamie Re: Gin & Tonic - 07/26/07
Gin and tonic is one of my favorite drinks with dinner.

Jamie
Posted By: twodogs Re: Gin & Tonic - 07/26/07
Generally I drink and prefer Tanqueray in my Martini's but most any gin over a few bucks a barrel works for me when it's G&T time.

Weather running in the higher temps generates an awful thirst.

You guys know, anything over about 77�.
Posted By: Jamie Re: Gin & Tonic - 07/26/07
Bulletbutt,
Did you get your shoulder fixed yet?

Jamie
Posted By: mathman Re: Gin & Tonic - 07/26/07
Twodogs, you're on the money about those high temps.
Jamie; Yeah, and it's doing better than expected, as far as healing up...all except for the needle I think they left in there. Just some new pangs the last 3 days, and that will go away, I'm sure. I'm getting closer to shooting all the time grin
Posted By: kciH Re: Gin & Tonic - 07/26/07
I love a good G&T during the hotter months. Bombay Sapphire is the preferred elixir, but in a G&T little more than Gibley's is called for...either way...a G&T is a good call when it's warm.
Posted By: Bullwnkl Re: Gin & Tonic - 07/26/07
If my doctor said go have your self a good drink it would be without a doubt a Gin and Tonic made with Schwepps Tonic and Tanquary gin, an slice of lime over ice....stop it I cant stand it when you ask such questions. cry

Bullwnkl.
Posted By: HOOKER Re: Gin & Tonic - 07/26/07
Gin? Patooie
Whiskey straight up and cigarette chaser.
Posted By: kciH Re: Gin & Tonic - 07/26/07
Originally Posted by HOOKER
Gin? Patooie
Whiskey straight up and cigarette chaser.

BTDT, but a little variety is a nice thing.
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Gin & Tonic - 07/26/07
Sapphire and tonic, with a wedge.
Posted By: isaac Re: Gin & Tonic - 07/26/07
Suit and tie happy hour lawyer drink!!

Mornin' buddy!
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Gin & Tonic - 07/26/07
Originally Posted by kciH
I love a good G&T during the hotter months. Bombay Sapphire is the preferred elixir, but in a G&T little more than Gibley's is called for...either way...a G&T is a good call when it's warm.

And a big wedge of lime.......drink them down like water!
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Gin & Tonic - 07/26/07
Hot, muggy weather, can't beat a gin and tonic, any good, clean tasting brand of gin (around here it's usually Tanqueray). Only between Memorial Day and Labor Day. I've also found gin, with a splash of dry vermouth, really good for marinating olives. The rest of the year I like a little color in my liquor and am more likely to be drinking wiskey of one kind or another. I've probably got about twenty-five or thirty wiskey's in the house, half of them single malt scotches, the rest bourbons and Canadians and a couple of Irish malts. We sure do like beer around here too, and you can usually find three or four choices in the bottom of the refrig. Stouts, lagers, ales, even some pilsners, but never this so-called "lite beer." Yeah, I like gin and tonic and a lot of other things too. I'd probably spend a lot of time drinking if it didn't mess up my brain so much, and I didn't have so much to do.
Posted By: Walker Re: Gin & Tonic - 07/26/07
Yep, I love gin. Beefeater is fine, Tanqueray maybe a little finer, but I'm not too fussy. Tonic is optional, but very pleasant. Sure does hit the spot in this fuggin heat. I love snow.
Posted By: Boggy Creek Ranger Re: Gin & Tonic - 07/26/07
Yep, G&T good stuff. Like Gordon's Beefeater good too. Gin sours not bad either.

BCR
Posted By: Red44spl Re: Gin & Tonic - 07/26/07
Bombay and tonic, with lime. Only after the temp's have hit 80. That would run May to Sept. The remainder of the year is Henry McKenna, ice and a splash of water.
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Gin & Tonic - 07/26/07
G&T has been the "default" summer drink in my family since I can remember. My parents would have one each night in summertime when Dad got home from work. Dad's gin was Gilbey's, which is adequate. Tanqueray is my preferred G&T poison for camping trips, when the smell of the spruces is strong enough that you need that extra juniper kick that only Tanqueray provides. Bombay Sapphire makes the best G&T's and martinis under more civilized conditions.

G&T's are best served with a wedge of lime over mineral water ice cubes with Schweppes tonic water preferable over Canada Dry, and of course should be drunk on the patio or deck.

Yum. Maybe if the thunderstorms hold off tonight I'll do exactly that!
A lot of you boys go through a lot of frikken effort just to get a buzz! Whatever happened to taking a shot of liquor from your jug!!

Bunch of snobs!...grin
Posted By: Boss Hoss Re: Gin & Tonic - 07/26/07
May be coming to Bethesda for an interview next month and you can buy me one!!!! grin
My pleasure. 40 minutes from my office, tops!
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Gin & Tonic - 07/26/07
Originally Posted by isaac
Whatever happened to taking a shot of liquor from your jug!!

Wellllll..... I'm not sayin' I'm above doin that also...
blush

But that first sip of a perfect G&T on the patio after a long, hot day is simply glorious.
You buy the drinks and I will pick up dinner! Deal? grin

Will know something in a week or so.

DWM
Posted By: JPro Re: Gin & Tonic - 07/26/07
My mainstays are whiskey/rocks and gin/tonic. I don't drink much else when it comes to hard liquor. Bombay Sapphire and diet tonic with a lime wedge is hard to beat in the summertime and it doesn't pack a lot of calories. Old timers claim drinking gin will keep the skeeters off of you.
Posted By: kendibs Re: Gin & Tonic - 07/26/07
i'll drink anything, but the g&t is a great cool-me-down drink in hot weather. gin is my favorite though. i'll put any brand in tonic, but when i drink those xxtra dry martinis, i only use the good stuff.

-ken
Posted By: NH K9 Re: Gin & Tonic - 07/26/07
G+T is great this time of year. Bombay Sapphire is the ingredient of choice. Of course, Sapphire on the rocks does if for me as well.

George
Posted By: prostrate8 Re: Gin & Tonic - 07/26/07
Bourbon, splash of water for higher proofs and an ice cube.
Posted By: NH K9 Re: Gin & Tonic - 07/26/07
If we're moving in that direction, make mine a Makers Mark (neat).

George
Ditto!!
Posted By: grouseman Re: Gin & Tonic - 07/26/07
G&T is great on a hot day.
Posted By: Youper Re: Gin & Tonic - 07/27/07
I like them when it is 80+ degrees. Bombay and lime are preferred, but yesterday it was Tanguery, or how ever that green bottle is spelled, as a change of pace. My BIL prefers Tang, but I found I didn't. Below 80 degrees its Myers Dark Rum or Wild Turkey on the rocks.
Posted By: marty Re: Gin & Tonic - 07/27/07
When it comes to gin the only drink I've had was tanquery and o.j..
And then I think I made a pig of my self. I think I burped pine needles for two days. It's been a while might have to try the g&t. Fav thirst quencher around here is Mich Golden light from the freezer on a 20 minute rotation. Twenty min. keeps it just at the starting to slush point.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Gin & Tonic - 07/28/07
Old friend passed on recently. He was an old Asia hand. He had some of the best single malts I've ever seen, but seldom drank them. Whenever he came to visit all he'd ask for was gin and water. I sure like gin, but gin and water... Before we got old and acquired a (thin)veneer of respectability, my brother and I used to pass time at the local (any local would do) in the summertime drinking gin and beer. Gotta try that again sometime.
© 24hourcampfire