Home
Posted By: Muley270 Record Acorn Crop?? - 10/15/07
I have lived in Northern California most of my life and I don't think I have ever seen this many acorns on the ground.

They have been falling Heavy for about a month. When the wind blows its almost like rain...except they make a bunch of noise when they hit the truck or the roof of the house.

Anybody else in other areas of the country seeing the same?

Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Record Acorn Crop?? - 10/15/07
Pretty good crop this year down on a piece of ground that I used to hunt. Falling like rain as you said.

There is an area of the Pretty Boy Dam reservoir in Baltimore County Md. that I like to call "acorn hill" 'cause most years you can shovel the acorns in some spots.
Posted By: NurseKat Re: Record Acorn Crop?? - 10/15/07
Our new house is setting between several oak trees. The drive is literally covered with acorns. The guy next door said they would pelt the cars pretty bad if it rained. We had decided to devote the garage to Jims reloading. There were work tables, lighting, shelving...ect. already installed. It seemed like a great idea at the time. That plan might change if we start getting body damage to the SUV's.
Posted By: rpowell Re: Record Acorn Crop?? - 10/15/07
well, i live in south carolina, and we had a very late frost this year. there are no white oak acorns at all. added to this, we are probably in ther worst drought that we have ever seen. there are no acorns at all. despite this, the deer we have killed so far, have ther most fat that i have ever seen. just shows you that deer are very adaptable.
Well, I need to go rake you some up out of my drive and ship them to you. I think I got enuff for me you both. MAtter of fact....I bet I got enuff in my drive to feed a whole family of deer too! Since we are not right in town now, I might get lucky and get to see one come up into the yard!!!!
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Record Acorn Crop?? - 10/15/07
I too live in NorCal and it is unreal, it sounds like popcorn popping so many are falling from the oaks...unreal.
The ground is completley covered.

My local deer are gorging themselves!!
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Record Acorn Crop?? - 10/15/07
Best acorn crop I've ever seen here in the NW part NC.... burping sounds coming from the laurel thickets....grin
Posted By: Muley270 Re: Record Acorn Crop?? - 10/15/07
burping sounds coming from the laurel thickets....

So THATS what I have been hearing!!! grin
Originally Posted by 280sRN
That plan might change if we start getting body damage to the SUV's.

Better keep an eye peeled' because a nice plump "ayekern" can put a dent in a car hood or roof if it falls from any distance. My ol' F 250 4X4 wood truck was beat to death from sitting out on the edge of the property.
Posted By: skullmonkey Re: Record Acorn Crop?? - 10/15/07
Great acorn crop here in SW VA but a late freeze in the spring screwed us out of just about every apple around. Kinda had to change by plans for early bow season but so far all is well and venison is in the freezer.
Posted By: HeavyMetal Re: Record Acorn Crop?? - 10/15/07

Tons of them here,very few deer out in the open.
Hope this is not a sign of a bad winter to come.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Record Acorn Crop?? - 10/15/07
Poor crop in Paradise this year, been like that, well, forever.....
Posted By: Jamison Re: Record Acorn Crop?? - 10/15/07
Sounded like rain in the woods this afternoon. I had 4 bucks within 55 yards of my stand at the same time, steadily eating acorns. It got dark before I could close the deal on the largest one, about a 175# nine pointer....Oh well, he'll still be there next week, unless he decides to play in the road after dark...
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
That plan might change if we start getting body damage to the SUV's.

Better keep an eye peeled' because a nice plump "ayekern" can put a dent in a car hood or roof if it falls from any distance. My ol' F 250 4X4 wood truck was beat to death from sitting out on the edge of the property.

I promised .280 the WHOLE garage to reload and keep all his man stuff. The garage in the new house has lighted work tables and all kinds of "man space" to keep "man stuff". Its heated and cooled just like the house so it will be a great work space for him. He will be moving his fathers gun safes here and storing all the family firearms so he will need all the space he can get for that. I guess we will have to analyze the situation and park the cars out of harms way. If we were to have a storm blow thru, we might need to file an insurace claim for damage... frown. I guess we need to look at strategic parking before that happens.
Maybe a nice carport ????????
Posted By: Ken Howell Re: Record Acorn Crop?? - 10/15/07
� I guess we need to look at strategic parking �

One of Uncle Julian's friends (in Selma) forgot to have the builder include a garage in his fancy new brick home. When he asked for an estimate of the cost to add one, he thought it was 'way too high. So he decided to build it himself. He took a vocational-school course in brick-laying and heeded the advice to make sure that it'd be wide enough to get the car into it.

When he finished it, he drove the car inside �

� and discovered that it was too narrow to open the car doors.
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Maybe a nice carport ????????

That is a good idea! And a helluva lot cheaper than body work on the cars!
Posted By: 4xbear Re: Record Acorn Crop?? - 10/15/07
Also in Northern Ca. here and damn near buried in acorns. The squirrels are having a field day! Bear
Posted By: blammer Re: Record Acorn Crop?? - 10/15/07
there are so many acorns here the squirrels all have wheelbarrows....
Posted By: TERRY8mm Re: Record Acorn Crop?? - 10/15/07
Average crop in Ky. Over in Colorado County, Tx. its like trying to walk on ball bearings.
Posted By: noKnees Re: Record Acorn Crop?? - 10/15/07
Any one from New England or New York? I have seen some beech mast but Acorns are lacking so far up here.
Posted By: Gene L Re: Record Acorn Crop?? - 10/15/07
I think the number of acorns isn't as important as the type of acorns.

Red oak acorns seem to me to be eaten last, and they're huge, which must mean the deer don't particularly cottton to their tate.

White oak acorns are the favorites of deer around here. Probably they're less acidic than red-oak. Of the varios other species, like water oak, they seem to be a second choice as well.

I haven't been in the woods this year, but my buddy killed two on Saturday with a bow. He didn't mention a lot of mast, but it could very well be.
Posted By: firemedic Re: Record Acorn Crop?? - 10/15/07
We have virtually no acorns in NE Bama......freeze during the time the oaks were blooming got most of them I'm assuming. Teh squirrels are running around like crazy looking for a meal....and this seems to be a high population year for them too. Gonna be some hungry critters around here 'bout January.
Posted By: acy Re: Record Acorn Crop?? - 10/15/07
Big crop in my area of Michigan. It is making the bow hunting more difficult this year. All of the oaks are dropping a ton of acorns. Deer aren't concentrating their feeding under just a few trees. I had four bucks almost wander under my "chosen" oak this past weekend. Al
Posted By: Southerntier8 Re: Record Acorn Crop?? - 10/15/07
There appears to be an average acorn crop on the 120 acres that I hunt here in the Southern Tier of NY. There are many around but not as many as last year. I have about a dozen hickory trees in my yard. On a few, the nuts are large and plentiful. The rest are not producing that well this year.
Posted By: hatari Re: Record Acorn Crop?? - 10/15/07
Face it, the SE is now The Great Red Clay Desert after this summer. We have some acorns from White Oak and Red Oak here north of the metropolis, but soil is very dry. Lake Lanier looks like a bath tub after some one pulled the plug. Need serious rain!
Posted By: steve1 Re: Record Acorn Crop?? - 10/15/07
I have both red and white oak on my property here in northern NJ.
There's been a steady bombardment on my roof for about three weeks.There has generally been a pretty good crop of acorns,but nothing compared to several years we had in the mid nineties.
My kids had no trouble filling about ten of those large paper leaf sacks that were so popular back then,our property at the time was 150x150 feet,we had about thirty oaks.
Took 'em all up to deer camp and layed out about five piles.The deer didn't really seem to find them until the season was about over,but kept digging them out from under the snow all winter that year.
Posted By: DesertSandman Re: Record Acorn Crop?? - 10/15/07
Originally Posted by Muley270
I have lived in Northern California most of my life and I don't think I have ever seen this many acorns on the ground.

They have been falling Heavy for about a month. When the wind blows its almost like rain...except they make a bunch of noise when they hit the truck or the roof of the house.

Anybody else in other areas of the country seeing the same?

How far North are you? I'm just off the Delta and we have more Acorns here than I've ever seen, not only mass amounts, but the biggest ones I've ever seen.

I'm thinking this might be one of those once in 25 - 30 year Oddities, that the Banned-Tailed Pigeons alter their Migration Route, come out of the Mountains, and swing down into the lower foothills, maybe make it to the valley. They're a Kick to hunt, near imposible to get close to them in the mountains, but when they come down to lower elevations = take lots of ammo - they're deceptively fast and TOUGH to bring down!
Posted By: Muley270 Re: Record Acorn Crop?? - 10/15/07
I am 40 miles North East of Sacramento in the Foothills.
You are right on the size....definitely bigger than normal.

The last time I hunted Band Tailed Pigeons was quite a few moons ago up on the Trinity River....It was a blast but NOT easy hunting.

© 24hourcampfire