Home
Posted By: ltppowell Best Army MOS? - 05/30/08
My hard-headed 17 year old (Get's it from his Mom.)is determined to join the Army. He will be entering with no college. I am actually posting this for him, so he may be the responder. What is the best MOS for him to pursue?

Thanks
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: Best Army MOS? - 05/30/08
Pat, what does he WANT to do??
Posted By: Violator22 Re: Best Army MOS? - 05/30/08
11 Series all the way, less he wants to learn a trade, if he get a high score on the ASVAB have him go into aviation maintenance. Les
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Best Army MOS? - 05/30/08
I'm Connor, Pat's son. I'm looking at a few extremely different MOS's, such as 35F (Mil. Intel Analyst) and field/combat jobs like 19D (Cavalry Scout).

Not sure really which route to take. smile
Posted By: Cossatotjoe Re: Best Army MOS? - 05/30/08
Is he smart? He should take the flight physical and whatever they call that test they have and try to become a warrant officer and pilot.
Don't go Scout, go infantry if you are looking at that stuff, but honestly, if you want to learn a Trade that transefers to college credits when you get out, try very hard for any of the Aviation maint, jobs, stay away from wheeled or tracked vehicle maint. Seriously. Look for something that transfers to a civilian career, Military Intelligence doesn't and niether does any of the true combat arms stuff. Les
Posted By: Powerguy Re: Best Army MOS? - 05/30/08
I spent 4 years as a 68 Bravo. Turbine engine(aircraft) mechanic. Loved it. If your scores are high enough I would give the aviation field a hard look.

As a side note I would take a really hard look at Air Force aviation.
Posted By: isaac Re: Best Army MOS? - 05/30/08
Connor

Dig it out with school for another year. You have time to think it over and the Army can still be there for you at 18, if the next year of maturation takes you there.
Although, my recruiter hasn't told me my exact ASVAB score, I'm rather sure it's around 85. Sgt. Given did tell me I should look into the Aviation field.
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: Best Army MOS? - 05/30/08
Pleased to make the acquaintance Conner. If you want to take risks and fight, 11B2P and then go Ranger. Tough row to hoe but super guys.
Aviation maint jobs transmit into real paychecks when and if you decide to get out. Combat Arms might get you into Black Water or some sorry azzed security job, me I was diverse in the Army, so I am no a Goobermint Contractor for Logistics. If I would have done it differetn I would have went to aviation maint, like I was first offered. les
Posted By: Pugs Re: Best Army MOS? - 05/30/08
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I'm Connor, Pat's son. I'm looking at a few extremely different MOS's, such as 35F (Mil. Intel Analyst) and field/combat jobs like 19D (Cavalry Scout).

Not sure really which route to take. smile

Two very different lifestyles and careers. Have you taken the ASVAB and been presented options there?

Certainly even in Intel there are many options and some of them quite interesting.
Isaac, I'll be 18 in July, and have another year in highschool before I can leave anyhow. Thanks much for the advice!
85 is respectable, sitck it out and see if you can get a restest on the ASVAB and get the study guides for it, anything over a GT of 110 and you can pick your field, that is where I was at. Les
Posted By: Planemech Re: Best Army MOS? - 05/30/08
If you take a 15 series- avaition MOS besure to get your times logged so you can apply it to your A&P ticket when you get out. You must have an A&P to work in aviation in the civilian world. I was in the Air Cavalry my whole time in. The cav has soe great rewards and some really hard work. It seems you are always under manned and over worked. Proud to have been a cav trooper. Don't let anyone fool you if you pick 15S (OH58D) the Cav is virtually a certainty and you'll have your fill of FOB's, bug outs, the FEBA and fire missions. No body goes anywhere until the Cav tells them where.

There are some 300 MOS'. I'd advise getting one that has a skill set other than infantry or artillery. If you want to go Infantry or Artillery take advantage of the education benefits ASAP and get another skill to go with the things like teamwork, personal responsibility, accountability etc. that you'll learn in an infantry, armor or artillery MOS. Take the leadership lesson to heart they will payoff the rest of your life. The shooting people, bounding overwatch, small unit tactics and such may not apply to a civilian job but the other qualities certainly will and very favorably. Don't look at this as advising against any of those 3, I'm not at all. You do need to get a civilian skill to augment the military experience advantages is my point.
I'm truelly not sure of my exact scores, and I've been presented alot of interesting options. Although, 85 is a low estiment. I was told by a recruiter that it was difficult, and generally pointless to retest with my scores.
Posted By: SoTexasH Re: Best Army MOS? - 05/30/08
A million years ago I was an 11Bxxxxxx.. But if I had it to do all over again.. A normal job that transfers to civilian life would have been a much better choice. Less military BS while serving too. Something like an X-Ray technician at the hospital..lol Luckily I ended up using the GI Bill and getting a BS/MBA degree and a professional job.
You should be fine with that score. Planemech said alot about the leadership and team building skills that you learn in Combat Arms. He is right, but alot of Companies are just now looking at that stuff, when I got out back in 2000, I was looked at like I had no skills and I was a friggin Platoon Sergeant as a SSG when I left the Army. Les
A joke we use around the recruiting office often, being the head Sgt. got into Airborne as one, is that "I'm not entering the Army to be a plumber." Does anyone have anything to tell me about, more pin pointed, the Cav Scout MOS?
Isaac, I'll be 18 in July, and have another year in highschool before I can leave anyhow. Thanks much for the advice!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

But, do you wish to sign up now when you have a year's wait, anyhow?

Connor...your dad is top-shelf and one of my faves here. With his help and guidance, you'll make the right decision wherever and whenever the good advice here leads you.

It's a tough decsion, young man, for both yourself and those who love you.

My only advice is think it through and be 100% certain.

You'll have my best wishes, regardless.
Get used to MRE's and sleeping in the back of Bradleys.............Plus scouts are always the advance units on the battle field. 1st to get all shot to schitt now. Les
Posted By: THOMASMAGNUM Re: Best Army MOS? - 05/30/08
Originally Posted by Violator22
Aviation maint jobs transmit into real paychecks when and if you decide to get out.

A HUGE +1 on this statement. My cousin just retired from the U.S.M.C. as a MSGT. after 20 years in. Worked in life support on the Harrier attack Squadrons, ejection, oxygen, chute rigging etc... Also had been a flight mechaninc on the Presidential helicopter for several years.
Long story short he is "retired" and got a job paying like 80k doing the same job at a company that contracts the same work for the military.
My father told me the same exact thing, as far as the "sleeping arrangements." I appreciate your advice very much, I fear the idea of being a mechanic, or secretary with a military title, ya know?
I'm truelly not sure of my exact scores, and I've been presented alot of interesting options. Although, 85 is a low estiment. I was told by a recruiter that it was difficult, and generally pointless to retest with my scores.

Just a little advice, and I don't think anyone who has ever had anything to do with the Army would disagree, don't completely trust your recruiter.

Ask to see your score. And don't take him at his word that it would be difficult or pointless to retest. It could be that your recruiter was told to recruit more 11B or gunbunnies and is steering you that way. You may have scored much better than you think and you may have lots more options than you think you have.

You are about to enter the adult world and no one is responsible for looking out for you but yourself. Ask to see your scores.
Thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it. Connor's last day of school was today, so you know he has big plans tonight. He's anxious to get back here though! Thanks again,

Pat
Thaanks Joe, I pointed your post out to him and he headed out the door. I'm sure he'll he asking you guys a million questions when he gets back.
If he's doing it for the chicks, show him some of Les' army pictures before he married.
Thaanks Joe, I pointed your post out to him and he headed out the door. I'm sure he'll he asking you guys a million questions when he gets back.

I need to rephrase that a bit. Don't believe anything your recruiter tells you. If he says the sky is blue, go outside and check. He may not be a bad guy, but his job is to get warm bodies and they are under a lot of pressure to do it.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Best Army MOS? - 05/30/08
My father told me the same exact thing, as far as the "sleeping arrangements." I appreciate your advice very much, I fear the idea of being a mechanic, or secretary with a military title, ya know?

Nothing wrong with being a mechanic. Those are the guys that made my jets safe and a weapon system instead of just a neat ride. You'll work your butt off and be rewarded with making the mission happen.

I've had 18 year olds work non-stop just because their name was on the side of the jet as Plane Captain and that meant it was theirs and I got to borrow it but that pride of ownership showed for them. It's an honorable profession!
I can PM them to you Pat. :grin; You will appreciate them, but others here may not. shocked
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Best Army MOS? - 05/30/08
Not what you'll want to hear but get into a good college and go ROTC. You'll make a lot more money than you'll ever make as an enlisted and the four years will fly by. McCain says we'll be in Iraq for 100 years anyway.
Posted By: Qtip Re: Best Army MOS? - 05/30/08
Whatever he decides may God bless him and watch over him. He's gotta be a great young man and you should be very proud!

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Best Army MOS? - 05/30/08
While I had a lot of fun as an 11C1P, I don't recommend it to anyone, period. It was also a lot of work and picayune crap, to go along with the fun times, and it didn't balance out too well, either. I know I spent at least one full year of my four years, in the field, too.
Posted By: .280Rem Re: Best Army MOS? - 05/30/08
Pat,

It's like being a cop. You know the young guy that is just burning to be one...you ain't gonna talk him out of it. Same same if he thinks he wants the kill people and break things...I was that way, and went 11B...OJT's 11C, and almost OJT'd 19D. But, after your hitch is up, there's little to take from it. If he wants a career, the combat arms offers the quickest promotions, 11 series for sure. I don't know about now, but e-5 was doable inside 3 years in the 80s if you were infantry and a hard charger. If you were a mover and shaker, E-6 before your first re-up.

If he wants training for life after a hitch...computers, or something mechanical.

As I understand it...the bonus and college money is good now...I'd go short hitch, go 11 series, have some fun, and get out with a pocket full of cash and go to school.
Pat,

I'll add...if he wants to be a kick aZZ type...infantry or marines...if he wants some tech training, Air Force or Navy.
Posted By: Skidrow Re: Best Army MOS? - 05/30/08
If you're looking for a career then Cavalry (19D) is the way to go. Nothing else on the ground is as diverse or as challenging. If you want to fly then go there. Flying and ground support is a whole 'nother deal and if you get in the groove its a great way to go. Plus if you can fix a military aircraft you can fix anything and that will serve you well when you return to the civilian world. If you just intend to serve an enlistment or so then head for a technology field. You can't beat the military training and when you get out you're employment opportunities are head and shoulders above the combat arms guys, no matter what they say. Trust me. I was one of them. Good luck and look before you leap.
Posted By: jnyork Re: Best Army MOS? - 05/30/08
I am a former recruiter. First STAY IN SCHOOL!!! Dont even THINK of anything else right now.

Second, take that ASVAB as many times as they will let you. You will almost always do better the second or third time and you will almost always do better after another year of school. The higher your test scores, the better it will be for you, and the more opportunities will present themselves.

Third, go have a serious talk or two with recruiters from ALL the services and have your ASVAB scores with you when you go. Every service has something different and special that you need to hear about before you decide. For instance, Army, Navy, Air Force , USMC and Coast Guard all have excellent aviation programs. All will need persons with the background to train in electronics, air traffic control, medical fields, etc. Check 'em all out.

Fourth, and most important, do NOT sign up right now or anytime in the next few months. Take your time, study up on every opportunity available to you and get another year of school under your belt before you make any major decisions like this. You will change your mind many times in the next year or so, and dont be afraid to do so. We only get one ride on the merry-go-round, make sure you get the right ticket.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Best Army MOS? - 05/30/08
Best Army MOS?

Air Force

Otherwise join the Coast Guard.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Best Army MOS?

Air Force

Otherwise join the Coast Guard.

SH,

Other than in time of war (and even then their mission is very important), the CG likely does the most real world stuff and real world training there is day in and out. Had I known about the CG when I was young I might have gone that way. Tell the young man what there is to offer! I know they got a lot!
Yep, we don't train for war, so to speak, we have day to day missions. Saving lives is more fun than taking them. Depending on job, there are a bunch that interface with other agencies/civilians and that leads to better 'networking'.

Plus he can grow up to be JUST LIKE ME!

Yep, we don't train for war, so to speak, we have day to day missions. Saving lives is more fun than taking them. Depending on job, there are a bunch that interface with other agencies/civilians and that leads to better 'networking'.

Plus he can grow up to be JUST LIKE ME!

There's a friggin' recruiting poster if I ever saw one! laugh
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Best Army MOS? - 05/30/08
My hard-headed 17 year old (Get's it from his Mom.)is determined to join the Army. He will be entering with no college. I am actually posting this for him, so he may be the responder. What is the best MOS for him to pursue?

Thanks

My youngest joined the Army against my advice. My advice was to go to college first and if you wanted to join the Army after college then go for it. He joined anyway and has done extremely well and I am very proud of him.
Paul was assigned to Military Intelligence and was promoted to the Rank of E-7 the first of this month and he reached this rank in 7 1/2 years.
You never really know how these thing will turn out, in his case it has worked out well for him and I believe that he plans to become an Officer.
I'll be an Officer come Sunday.
Good for your boy, glad it has worked out for him JWP.

Congradulations
Originally Posted by jwp475

Thanks

My youngest join the Army against my advice. My advice was to go to college first and if you wanted to join the Army after college then go for it. He joined anyway and has done extremely well and I am very proud of him.
Paul was assigned to Military Intelegence and was promoted to the Rank of E-7 the first of this month and he reached thisrank in 7 1/2 years.
You never realy know how these thing will turn out, in his case it has worked out well for him and I believe that he plans to become an Officer.

Why would he abandon all that time and effort to start over as an officer? E-7 in 7.5 years is a helluva an accomplishment! Hell he's set to make "Smadge" of the Army!
I'll be an Officer come Sunday.

Where you goin'?

That's not set in stone, but that is the push that he has been getting.. A few years ago he was in the running for NCO of the year. I am very proud of what he has accomplished.
I know the job, just not the location. It is a new position and I might end up being stuck here for another 6 months till it gets worked out (shucks).

Glad I was #3 on the list!
Posted By: BW Re: Best Army MOS? - 05/30/08
If you want training in aviation maintenance, don't join a Service that separates the various skills and won't allow you to work on different systems. That describes the Army and the Air Force in case ya didn't know.

In the Coast Guard, the AMT rate (rate is equal to MOS) works on every part of the aircraft except the avionics. That means the engines, the hydraulics, the flight controls, the sheet metal work, the electrical wiring, etc.

I started out as a 67N (Huey Mech) then a 67T (Blackhawk Mech) and after 8 years I switched Services to the US Coast Guard and worked on H3 Pelicans and H60 Jayhawks. Never regretted that decision.

I've got my A&P now, but don't use it to make a living.
I know the job, just not the location. It is a new position and I might end up being stuck here for another 6 months till it gets worked out (shucks).

Glad I was #3 on the list!

Don't know the CG equivilant, but you were a Warrant Officer as the Army calls it? Officer job, but not complete command responsibility although you may have functioned as such at times? Like in the Army, WO's fly helo's a lot...officer pay...just no command? And now you've moved up? Is this a natural progression or do you have some particular job skill or experience? Forgive me, I'm ignorant to the CG stuff.
Posted By: wldthg Re: Best Army MOS? - 05/30/08
Conner---- You are getting good advice here. Listen to your father. If I were in your shoes, and wanted to serve this great country,I would try for Navy or Air Force, and get as much Tech. schooling they will give you. Try to pick a trade to learn that can be used in the real world. If you go Army they also have very good high tech. schools. You may want to stay in the Military and retire in 20 years -- age 47 with a paychech . Bottom line is Education and do the best you can do. ---- Web
And thanks! It's the 'young' guys that deserve the attention, like JWP's son.

I tend to get bothered by the talk about the new generation not being worth a hoot. I have plenty of young men that work for me that truly wonderful guys. With age comes experience (hopefully) and these young men will be something special.
Posted By: BW Re: Best Army MOS? - 05/30/08
All Warrants in the Guard are 'walking warrants'. It's a common step up from E-6 and E-7.
Posted By: tbear99 Re: Best Army MOS? - 05/30/08
remember recuirters lie to get you to sign.You need to pick the trade you want to be in my neph went navy for learning computers and now that he is out making 20 dollars an hr

remember being able shot a person at 600 yards is not a job in civilian world.i forget you originaly said this
I've been in Command positions for the past 8 years (one of the GREAT things about the CG). There are only 2 ratings (MOS) as an enlisted person that you can be in a command position, and I am in one of them.

I will be a Chief Warrant Officer, and I can also be a Commanding Officer of several units, but alas my new job will not be in that role.

CWO's have a bit more 'Respect' in the CG than in the Army.
Originally Posted by BW
All Warrants in the Guard are 'walking warrants'. It's a common step up from E-6 and E-7.

OK, WO's in the Army usually have a particular skill, ie flying. Special Forces uses WO's a lot too in suedo-command roles...like maybe a hybrid XO and skill guy. WO's in the Army usually start and remain as such, at least they did in my day. They were officers with the job, but not the responsibility. If you liked to fly, you wanted to be a WO not an officer because you had to get your admin and command time too as an officer.
Posted By: okie john Re: Best Army MOS? - 05/30/08
Cossatotjoe is right - recruiters are legendary BS artists. In Basic you'll hear a million stories of them lying. Recruiters need to make numbers and it's worse in wartime. They're soldiers so they do what it takes, even if it means putting you into a career field you'll hate forever.

If you don't get the response you want from your recruiter, find another one. This is one of a very few times in a military career that you'll have the power to make serious choices, so use it. You don't have to sign anything for a year. If a recruiter tells you that a job is only open for a few more days, go ahead and wait. It may close, but it will open up again. Make him bring you exactly what you want - don't just take what he offers. And get everything in writing. Things a recruiter says mean nothing until they're in writing. Your life literally depends on this, so take your time and get it right.

That your recruiter hasn't shown you your ASVAB scores makes me suspicious. 85 is average if I remember correctly. You've taken the test once, and you're almost guaranteed to do better the second time around. The only time it's not smart to retest is if your scores are very high - say well over 100. Make the recruiter explain all of your ASVAB scores to you. Not just the GT score, all of them. The GT is the main one, but the "B" in "ASVAB" stands for "battery," meaning that it's really a series of tests that measure you in a dozen or so areas. Some fields require scores at set levels in some areas, so the ASVAB is the key to your future. Know all of your ASVAB scores and what they mean before you even start to talk about specific career fields.

Speaking of career fields, you have to know what you want in a broad sense. I wanted adventure so I went 11B, Combat Infantryman. Then I went to the Special Forces Qualification Course and became an 18C, Special Forces Engineer Sergeant. I was in SF for nearly 7 years. I had plenty of adventure and it's helped me get a girlfriend or two over the years. But it works against me at times in finding jobs because not everyone thinks it's a good idea to have an ex-Green Beret around the office. Some people get downright spooked by it, and with the media running stories of vets going crazy every day, this will be true of any vet returning from combat. My experience qualifies me for jobs in the private military contractor/security/police field and that's it. If you want adventure and don't care about job prospects when you get out, do what I did. Just know that coming home in a box is a very real occupational hazard these days.

If adventure isn't your thing, then look at the military as something to prepare you for a career. One thing that enlisted service quickly impresses upon you is how much better life is when you've been to college. Once you're in, you probably won't have time to go to school, so stack up as many educational benefits as you can and go when you get out.

Finally, whatever career field you choose, make the recruiter get you a slot to jump school. Parachute wings are worth their weight in gold and it only takes 30 days to get them. Girls love 'em and they're worth a bunch of promotion points when the time comes. They also set you apart from other troops far more than they should in light of what it actually takes to earn them. Contrary to what the recruiter tells you, nearly anyone in the military can go to jump school if it's in an enlistment contract, and very few jobs in the Army do not benefit from the experience. Also, if you can arrange end up in an honest-to-God Airborne unit like the Ranger Regiment or the 82nd Airborne, you'll probably be better off. The recruiter should be able to guarantee you that in writing as well. I knew a lot of guys in those outfits, and they were definitely a cut above.

PM me if you have questions.

Okie John
Posted By: wldthg Re: Best Army MOS? - 05/30/08
I would have thought by now that recruiters would have cleaned up their act. Sounds like they haven't. In 1970 in the process of being drafted. Being drafted (2years) was an automatic Vietnam. So I ment with the Army recruiter and enlisted for 3 years for choice of duty station --Germany. So I was told. When I got my orders for Nam I found out that I was lied to. So off to Vietnam. I did not work in my MOS . One year Central Highlands . ----- Web
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Best Army MOS? - 05/31/08
My heartfelt thanks to all the posters! My son, like many teenage boys, know that, although I know nothing, I don't hang out with dummies. He will take your advice to heart.
Posted By: DaveR Re: Best Army MOS? - 05/31/08
Go Air Force if he wants to go technical. And this comes from an Army guy. Better living conditions, better looking women, better food, somewhat more relaxed environment. There's a reson the Army guys say "about as close as you can get to being in the military without actually being in the military" about the air force. And this comes from actual experience, as I worked in a couple different multi-service and multi-national units. Air Force lives better, period.

Army was not bad though.

As for MOS, I really enjoyed 95B and 95D. Military Police and Criminal Investigator. Can't go straight in as a criminal investigator but can get there with some college and a few years of service under your belt.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Best Army MOS? - 05/31/08
Originally Posted by DaveR
better looking women,

I'm sure he'll look closely at your advice Dave, Thanks.
Posted By: jnyork Re: Best Army MOS? - 05/31/08
Originally Posted by DaveR
. . Better living conditions, better looking women, better food,

grin grin grin
Posted By: superdave Re: Best Army MOS? - 05/31/08
I've heard from recruiters themselves that the hardest thing to do during a recruiting hitch is to never give up your integrity. Those guys are faced with obscene pressure for numbers. Whatever they promise/you decide...get it in writing, get it in writing, get it in writing.

If you want technical skills that will translate well into jumpstarting a civilian career, this Army guy would recommend the Air Force or Navy. If you want fun, adrenaline, and experiences you'll never duplicate in civilian life, go Army, USMC, or possibly USCG. Those are some broad generalizations, your mileage could certainly vary.

My advice would be (sorry Dad) you're young...live a little. Choose a short hitch but pick a cool job. Think superhero stuff, Cav, Ranger, 11B, shoot for the Q course if you want a real challenge. Kick in some doors and jump out of some aircraft while you can. Those experiences in the civilian sector are generally quite hard to find. You need some stories to tell the grandkids. And once you gain a little rank, the feeling of leading troops, even a squad, when everything is clicking is not an experience matched by anything else. Think winning a State championship...only better because you've made a real difference.

An aside, if you go infantry or artillery, your fellow grunts may not be exactly the crowd you hung with in high school. Not that it's bad, just prepare yourself for some colorful characters. Sometimes those branches can be sort of a holding area for soldiers with...well...limited options. Not knocking them, I love 'em all, everyone has a job that makes the entire machine work. I'm just trying to be honest. You guys in the peanut gallery know I'm right, think of the oldest E-4 or E-5 you ever saw...now what branch was he?

But make a pact with yourself to seriously examine how long you want to stay in on a regular basis, like every 6 months at least. I have friends that, before they know it, are 9-10 years into a career that they don't really like, but figure they may as well stick it out for 20 for the retirement. All the while in a career they still don't really like. A mil career can be good, but 20 years is a big chunk of regret if you limit yourself to staying in just to get a guaranteed paycheck.

I was in the Reserves for 12 years in the Engineer branch. The active guys don't like to hear it, but the differences between active/reserve get less and less every year. I would not recommend the reserves in this day and age. I'd say get all the way in or all the way out. Living a dual life, especially while we're in this "long war," doesn't provide you with a chance of giving 100% to either. I don't know if the engineer stuff is anything you're looking at. I could go on for pages about the Army engineer branch if it is in the cards, but I'll save it for now. Some parts correlate well to civilian life, some not. But combat engineering can be some big fun.

Looking back, I'd say a good track would be to do a 2 to 4 year hitch, get completely out, go to college or tech school and decide what you want out of life then. If ROTC or OCS is in the cards, so be it. The GI Bill perks right now are getting better all the time, but getting completely discharged after a hitch will give you perspective. You'll start school wiser than the average guy just out of high school. Plus, you'll likely keep some rank if you do elect to go back in and/or it will give you a huge leg up if you choose the officer route.

Whatever branch you choose, you'll learn things about yourself, working with people (both friendly and unfriendly), make friends and have experiences that will pay you dividends your entire life. Technical skills are just part of this whole being-a-grownup thing.

And you can always hop around services too.

Good luck.

SD
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Best Army MOS? - 05/31/08
91C50 286 girls 56 guys. Coed barracks, 3 years of on the job training. If a at post with a general, lobster once a week steak twice a week. Cross train with special forces, security clearance, sky's the limit.
Posted By: wuzzagrunt Re: Best Army MOS? - 05/31/08
Finish college and go in as an officer. Get out as an O-3 and there are lots of businesses that want to hire you--even if you've spent your time in the infantry. When I was 18, I already knew everything, and I was in a big hurry to prove it. I ditched college and joined USMC infantry. If I had it to do differently, I would do it differently. If you really can't see yourself in college for 4 years, join the Navy. Aviation is fine but civilian aviation is cyclical and people are always getting laid off. The Navy will learn ya to be a plumber. There's real money in that trade, and people are always gonna have to crap.
Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: Best Army MOS? - 05/31/08
67S Scout Helicopter Repairer. E1 to E6 in 3yrs, 11months, and 3 days.

Always get to be involved in the fun stuff cause Scouts are First in Last outgrin

Go to Airborne School and get stationed at Ft. Bragg....Plenty of work to do!

Mike

Edited: Was only three yrs!!
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Best Army MOS? - 05/31/08
Aviation ! I'm not talking hydraulics, or sheet metal, I'M talking general mechanic (so you can get on flight status) or turbine engine mechanic (big $$$$$ when you get out) Recruiters will give you a BS story so they can fill a slot. kwg
Posted By: Hudge Re: Best Army MOS? - 05/31/08
High School to Flight School!
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Best Army MOS? - 05/31/08
stay in school and get a college degree. a former recruiter posted a few pages back. be smart and listen to what he says.
Posted By: 1B Re: Best Army MOS? - 05/31/08
Way too much hard and fast advice here about the value of staying in school. For some that is a bad choice.

Nothing works for everybody and there is no magic about being in school for resolving youthful indecision or poor choices. Lots of 'eternal scholars' change majors more than their socks -- all the while building huge debts that they carry with them. And lots also go into blind alley degrees ending up w/o the wherewithal to pay the debts.

The military at 18 can give you a life-shaping chance to mature and make much smarter choices about the things that really matter. And yes it's always a crap shoot and -- heavens above, recruiters lie --but you can also emerege with good career forming experience and lots of positive character building in team working and self discipline.

I hated Sam's Army when I was in it. But I went in w/o any life ambitions or drive and very perplexed by the life that was already rushing at and past me. Emerged three years later with a determination to make my way and a career direction that, 43 years later, looks damn good. Must have been -- only one job interview!

You can aslo come out of it a bum -- but then that's pretty much predetermined by your raising by the time you are at military age. You aree never going to get steel out of pot metal.

1B

Posted By: Bristoe Re: Best Army MOS? - 05/31/08
Seems like a rough way to make a living the way things are now.
Posted By: .280Rem Re: Best Army MOS? - 05/31/08
Originally Posted by 1B
Way too much hard and fast advice here about the value of staying in school. For some that is a bad choice.

Nothing works for everybody and there is no magic about being in school for resolving youthful indecision or poor choices. Lots of 'eternal scholars' change majors more than their socks -- all the while building huge debts that they carry with them. And lots also go into blind alley degrees ending up w/o the wherewithal to pay the debts.

The military at 18 can give you a life-shaping chance to mature and make much smarter choices about the things that really matter. And yes it's always a crap shoot and -- heavens above, recruiters lie --but you can also emerege with good career forming experience and lots of positive character building in team working and self discipline.

I hated Sam's Army when I was in it. But I went in w/o any life ambitions or drive and very perplexed by the life that was already rushing at and past me. Emerged three years later with a determination to make my way and a career direction that, 43 years later, looks damn good. Must have been -- only one job interview!

You can aslo come out of it a bum -- but then that's pretty much predetermined by your raising by the time you are at military age. You aree never going to get steel out of pot metal.

1B

Agree that school aint for everybody. But here's the diff...you can drop out of college at any time with no penalty. The military aint for everybody either...try dropping out of that and see where it gets you. School, if for nothing else, gives some a chance to figure out what they want without any life long penalties for finding out it wasn't for you. You better be damned sure of 2 things when you enlist A) that you really want to do it, or B) that you're willing to ride it out like a good soldier if you find out you made a mistake.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Best Army MOS? - 05/31/08
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Most things worth doing are hard.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Best Army MOS? - 05/31/08
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Most things worth doing are hard.

Must be,...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/military/2007-08-16-army-suicide_N.htm

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article2873622.ece
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Best Army MOS? - 07/31/08
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I just thought I'd let you guys know my son enlisted yesterday...in the Marines.

Thanks again.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Best Army MOS? - 07/31/08
God Bless and keep him safe Sir.
Thanks Terry. Knowing him, I don't think he'd be any safer as a civilian.
Posted By: hunter1960 Re: Best Army MOS? - 07/31/08
Best of luck, to him.
I can't help but think of "Alice's Restaurant ".
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Best Army MOS? - 07/31/08
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I just thought I'd let you guys know my son enlisted yesterday...in the Marines.

Thanks again.

Hell yeah!

What MOS did he sign for?
I don't think he wants to tell me. Apparently it is whatever he thinks will get him in action the quickest so he can get to sniper school. I know, I know, but you couldn't tell me anything either at that age.
Posted By: Elf Re: Best Army MOS? - 07/31/08
The Marines?? He'll do ok I suppose, I mean look at Sean he turned out fairly normal..

All kidding aside good for him I wish him the best Itppowell.

My son just finished OCS school today in Georgia, wish I could have been there but the logistics just didn't mesh together.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Best Army MOS? - 07/31/08
'Saw the front page of this thread, and didn't read all the replies. My dad spent 4 years getting shot at by the Third Reich and would quickly tell you that the best MOS was any one that kept you from getting shot at. I'm stealing a line from an old Western movie here, but dying ain't much of a way to make a living.
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Best Army MOS? - 07/31/08
I don't think he wants to tell me. Apparently it is whatever he thinks will get him in action the quickest so he can get to sniper school. I know, I know, but you couldn't tell me anything either at that age.

Oh schit.....

He signed up as an 0311.....

Well, he'll see plenty of action, that's for sure.

That's a standard issue, Marine Infantry Rifleman.
Posted By: deflave Re: Best Army MOS? - 07/31/08
Hope he chose 03-11. I was told when I was getting out (02') that if you weren't in infantry you couldn't apply for the sniper indoc.

Could have changed though.

Best of luck to him and you in whatever he chose.

Travis
Posted By: Violator22 Re: Best Army MOS? - 07/31/08
Congrats to you and your son for the honorable profession. I'm bettin' Infantry too.
Posted By: weaselsRus Re: Best Army MOS? - 07/31/08
I was pretty nervous when my youngest joined the Marines, he just wasn't the brightest bulb. He is a mechanic, as a kid he couldn't take apart a nult, bolt & washer without losing 2 parts. Did real well in boot camp, even brought home an Expert marksman pin. Ended up in Iraq, made Sgt. and was running his shop there. Now he's in the NG, makes good money, everything's good other than having to go back to Iraq next June.

One thing about the Marines, they make men from boys, from my perspective it's been good for Dade. Few things will make a parent prouder than the Marine graduation ceremony.
Posted By: isaac Re: Best Army MOS? - 07/31/08
We'll go through this one together Pat. This Saturday, we will be throwing a party for 30, for my daughter's fiance, who leaves for Iraq on August 16th.

To honor him, there will be "Beer-Bong"
Posted By: hunter1960 Re: Best Army MOS? - 07/31/08

The best Army MOS, Retired grin
Posted By: Pugs Re: Best Army MOS? - 07/31/08

Congrats to him. It'll be a hard road but you both will end up very proud.
Posted By: shreck Re: Best Army MOS? - 07/31/08
I can't help but think of "Alice's Restaurant ".

I do love that song. "Got good and drunk the night before so I looked and felt my very best". grin

Marines huh, I hear tell they a bunch a sissies grin
Good luck to him, he's gonna be an 0311 or as the arty guys call 'em, 'oh three walks alot'.
© 24hourcampfire