Home
[Linked Image]

Morgan Freeman in serious condition after car crash
Aug. 4, 2008, 12:40 PM EST

Oscar-winning actor Morgan Freeman was injured in a car accident late Sunday night and is in a hospital in Memphis, Tenn.

More details

Mississippi Highway Patrol spokesperson Ben Williams said Freeman, 71, and a passenger, Demaris Meyer, were traveling eastbound on Mississippi Highway 32 around 11:30pm in Tallahatchie County when his vehicle went off the edge of the road. Freeman overcorrected, flipping his 1997 Nissan Maxima several times before coming to a rest.

Kind of makes ya wonder what was going on, I always liked his acting. I think something was on his mind other that driving.
I like him as an Actor. I hear he owns a Blues night club in Mississippi. They say he is often there and very personable to all who approach him.

I also heard his Blues club serves great BBQ, so he's no Hollywood Vegan.

Sorry to hear he was injured in an accident.
fine actor.....although he tends to always play the same part.....that came on CNN while I was eating lunch with my back to the TV and the guy I was eating with said....I think Nelson Mandela was in a car wreck. Turned around and read him the subtitles.....the sound was off....but I had never noticed the resemblance.
that's a bummer. hope they both come out ok!
Originally Posted by Violator22
Mississippi Highway Patrol spokesperson Ben Williams said Freeman, 71, and a passenger, Demaris Meyer, were traveling eastbound on Mississippi Highway 32 around 11:30pm in Tallahatchie County when his vehicle went off the edge of the road. Freeman overcorrected, flipping his 1997 Nissan Maxima several times before coming to a rest.

Kind of makes ya wonder what was going on, I always liked his acting. I think something was on his mind other that driving.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Lucky, he didn't go off the Tallahatchie Bridge. smile I don't know about that particular highway, but some of the state highways in MS. don't have much shoulder and are narrow, it doesn't take much to get a wheel off the road. The Hosp. that he went to is, probably one of the better trama Hosp. in the country. I hope he has a full and speedy recovery.
Not that he'll get wind of it from here, but I wish him luck and a speedy recovery. I like all of his work that I've seen.
How's his daughter...what was her name? Oh yeah, Morgan Fairchild. cool
What a bad deal, I hope he gets through this without any difficulties.
Got to interact with Mr Freeman a lot while doing the movie Glory. He really is a nice guy. He would joke and bs with us extras between scenes and after shooting day was over. Most of the "stars" would retreat to their trailers or leave the area. You could generally find him at a campfire or a bull session somewhere just having fun.

Hope he comes out all right.

BCR
hate to see anyone involved in an auto crash. I don't think much of Freeman's liberal politics though. I avoid his movies.
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
Got to interact with Mr Freeman a lot while doing the movie Glory. He really is a nice guy. He would joke and bs with us extras between scenes and after shooting day was over. Most of the "stars" would retreat to their trailers or leave the area. You could generally find him at a campfire or a bull session somewhere just having fun.

Hope he comes out all right.

BCR

That's neat. I'm glad to hear that because I always wanted the guy to be likable, and it sound like he is.

Did you ever meet his daughter, Morgan Freeman? She's a real looker. She did a movie with Willie Nelson called, I think, "Free Willie". He played a preacher...now there's a stretch.
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
Not that he'll get wind of it from here, but I wish him luck and a speedy recovery. I like all of his work that I've seen.
Me too.. Very good actor... I wish him well..
Freeman lives out in the country about 5 miles from my home town of Charleston, MS. He was on the way home when he crashed I believe. I hate to hear it, he's a great actor and has made substantial monetary contributions to the local community. He bought new air conditioners for the high school a few years back and has done some other things. He's not too keen on giving autographs, though. The local garden club arranged a tour of his house one year and my mom went. She met him and when she asked for an autograph he turned her down saying he didn't give autographs. She was kind of stunned but that's his right.

Here's a little story a friend of mine shared a few years ago. My friend had to make a delivery to Freeman's house for a reason I can't recall and when he knocks on the door and is let in by the maid, he sees Freeman and Clint Eastwood putting on waders apparently getting ready to go duck hunting. I guess the two are good friends having made a few movies together now. Freeman lives close to (and probably owns) some of the best duck hunting land in the world in the MS Delta.
as previously stated, i like his movies, but disagree with his political views.
Morgan Freeman is one my favorites and I hope he recovers completely. I hear he has been upgraded from critical to serious condition earlier today. I don't know his politics nor do I care, even if his views did align with mine.

Nail
One of my favorite actors. Hope and Prayer for full recovery for him and his passenger. Latest movie I saw him in was the Bucket List w/Jack Nicholson.
I wish Mr. Freeman a speedy recovery. There is one detail from the news report that raises Mr. Freeman's stock with me significantly; the car he was driving. Considering the industry he works in, which is famous for conspicuous consumption, I am exceedingly impressed that Mr. Freeman was driving an 11 year old Maxima. He seems to be a man who realizes that vehicles are transportation, not fashion statements or a display of wealth.
Prayers on the way.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!
well wishes for a speedy recovery...

Shawshank Redemption is my favorite movie.
prayer on the way.
i just plain like the guy. can't help it. don't have a clue as to his politics, but if he hunts, he can't be much of a liberal ...
Just saw on the news that he is expected to make a full recovery, broken bones they said.
stole this from a celebrity site, which declares him "conservative."

Freeman Says Black History Month 'Ridiculous'
Freeman says he finds Black History Month �ridiculous.� �You're going to relegate my history to a month?� asks Freeman. �I don't want a Black History Month. Black history is American history,� he says, noting that there are no white or Jewish history months.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/12/14/60minutes/main1127684_page3.shtml

Freeman on Racism in America
In an interview with Mike Wallace, Morgan Freeman was asked about how to get rid of racism. �Stop talking about it. I'm going to stop calling you a white man,� Freeman says to Wallace. �And I'm going to ask you to stop calling me a black man. I know you as Mike Wallace. You know me as Morgan Freeman. You wouldn't say, �Well, I know this white guy named Mike Wallace.� You know what I'm sayin�?�
but i can't call him conservative. from another site:

But the conversation eventually shifted into politics and Hollywood after Freeman said he was endorsing Barack Obama for president but wouldn�t go on the campaign trail, as talk show host Oprah Winfrey has done recently.

Freeman compared the Illinois senator to former president John F. Kennedy, saying they both were high-minded thinkers. �My prayer is that we can get this young man in,� he said. �Given the chance, he can do good things.�

The moderator asked about a rumor that he was considering running for Sen. Trent Lott�s empty seat in Mississippi.

�Hmmmmmmmmm,� Freeman joked, pretending to think hard at the podium. Then he said, slightly more seriously, �I have never had any political ambitions. For one thing, politicians don�t make enough money.�

The rest of the afternoon, the 70-year-old freely quipped one-liners in response to journalists� questions.

His thoughts on what aspiring young actors should do to break into the business? �Act,� Freeman said.

What does Freeman do to make himself a better actor? �I steal blatantly from other actors,� Freeman said.

Voting for McCain wouldn't make him a conservative either, so the comment is quite irrelevant.

He's a great actor, regardless of his actual or perceived politics. When I heard he was injured I honestly didn't know the first thing about his politics, but I immediately said a prayer for him.
again, i just plain like the guy's plainspokeness - and his acting and his voice.
Originally Posted by Gadfly
I wish Mr. Freeman a speedy recovery. There is one detail from the news report that raises Mr. Freeman's stock with me significantly; the car he was driving. Considering the industry he works in, which is famous for conspicuous consumption, I am exceedingly impressed that Mr. Freeman was driving an 11 year old Maxima. He seems to be a man who realizes that vehicles are transportation, not fashion statements or a display of wealth.

I have heard other reports say that the car may have actually belonged to his lady friend FWIW.

Nail
Originally Posted by Gadfly

I caught that too. I like it.

Steve, Mandela just turned 90. I'd hate to be in a police lineup with your buddy as the victim... wink
I really like Morgan Freeman and hope he comes out of this a-ok! He's a hunter and seems to be a damn fine guy, especially for the Hollywood crowd.
Yep, any relative of Morgan Fairchild is a friend of mine.
I heard this on the noon news today. frown I prayed for him then and will continue to pray for him.

I have had a crush on Morgan Freeman for quite a while now. blush

Penny
Hope he gets better.He's my favorite actor.

If ya'll haven't seen it yet,go check out "The Shawshank Redemption".Probably his best role to date.

WB.
A good actor and probably a good guy. I wish him well.
As far as his politics goes, I can understand why he would endorse Obama. I don't hold that against him. I could hold it against me if I voted for Obama, I'm supporting McCain becuase he sucks less!
Thats the kind of stuff that can happen when your Driving Miss Daisy.....
Prayers sent.
Prayers from Maine headed his way........

His political views may be different but his acting is first rate!

Update.................

Morgan Freeman's business partner, Bill Lucketts, unexpectedly spoke to the press outside the hospital where Morgan is being treated after his car crash last night.

Bill says Morgan wanted him to clear up any rumors about his condition, which is considered "serious," because he's still in intensive care and will require surgery.

According to Bill, Morgan fractured his left elbow and has opted to have surgery. The surgery will take place tonight or tomorrow afternoon. He also said the actor has neck and shoulder injuries, but that they are not serious.

The accident occurred as Morgan was on his way home from Bill's house last night, as he's back in his hometown resting between projects. Bill says they believe it was a mechanical issue with the car that caused the crash.

He went on to say that his friend's injuries will take about three to four months to heal, adding that Morgan's in good spirits -- speaking with visitors, taking phone calls and answering emails.
Someone should make him aware of this thread...he'd probably enjoy it.
I have watched him at his blues club late at night on Miss public television. He introduces the singers and bandsand while they are playing he is on the dance floor with everyone else. Of all the talent that has come out of Miss, he is one of the few that gives back to his community, not just his homeys.
Apparently the vehicle belonged to his lady friend. They showed the accident scene on the local Memphis news last night and I know exactly where it happened. Passed that spot hundreds of times on my way to and from school and pass it now every time I go to hunting camp. It's just a straight, flat stretch of country road that's elevated about 4 to 6 feet above the surrounding farm land. It doesn't have much of a shoulder. They apparently came off the highway, went down the short embankment and tumbled a few times. Don't know what caused him to leave the road and don't care to speculate. Just hope he and his friend fully recover.

Good idea...there are professional speculators on this board that can come up with things you and I would never dream of!
I wish him a speedy recovery and I don't give a toot about his political views etc. He's a fine actor and as an American he has just as much right to live his life the way he sees fit Just like the rest of us.

Best movie president this nation has ever had.

He's done it, what, 8 or 9 times? Liberal or not, he'd be better at it than Obama.

- Tom
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Best movie president this nation has ever had.

He's done it, what, 8 or 9 times? Liberal or not, he'd be better at it than Obama.

- Tom

...And certainly more experienced.... blush

I like the guy from his movies and don't think of him as a radical left wing moonbat. Hope he and his passenger are OK,
I hate to speculate where miss daisy was wile Morgan Freeman was driving but I see in the headlines today he is getting a divorce. Any one remember that movie, The world according To Garp with Robin Williams and the incident in the driveway?
Yep. News reported 'Discharged from hospital and getting a divorce'.
Originally Posted by slideaction
I like him as an Actor. I hear he owns a Blues night club in Mississippi. They say he is often there and very personable to all who approach him.

I also heard his Blues club serves great BBQ, so he's no Hollywood Vegan.

Sorry to hear he was injured in an accident.

The fact he was driving a Nissan and not a Mercedes or Ferrari, speaks volumes.

Guess I should have read further...anyway the guy seems to have his feet planted firmly, he has always been a favorite of mine.
Read an interesting article in Garden & Gun a few months ago about his club:

http://gardenandgun.com/stories/below_the_line-1
He opened another Ground Zero blues club this year. It's in Memphis about 4 or 5 blocks from where I work. I might go by some time and see if it's open for lunch.
Originally Posted by g5m
Yep. News reported 'Discharged from hospital and getting a divorce'.

This may have been more of a "Karma crash" than a car crash!

Speedy recovery to Mr.Freeman..........Mrs. Freeman may think different!
© 24hourcampfire