Home
Posted By: stumpy Tractor tires. - 08/18/08
What type front tires do you guys run on your tractor in extremely thorny country? Or they solid or filled with something?

Thanks,

Stumpy
Posted By: Stetson Re: Tractor tires. - 08/18/08
We don't have thorns here but for deer camp with plenty of perils I still run turf tires. TT get a bad rap but in many cases they are better IMO because the tread is an even thickness all the way across the surface of the tire. I have a JD2210 so the weight of the tractor itself comes into play a lot more for traction than tread type. The other options in my tire size have a very thin tire. It really is going to depend on the size of tire and the options available to you for your tractor.
Posted By: 721_tomahawk Re: Tractor tires. - 08/18/08
Go to the local Co-op and get a gallon of Amerseal...It WORKS.

Foam filled is also a good idea..
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Tractor tires. - 08/18/08
Here in southeast Kansas, we have LOTS of thorns. You got your regular Hedge thorns and Honey Locust, then you got your Super-Duper Black Locusts with thorns long enough to run halfway through a skinny dude.

Anyways, your best bet for front tires when you're bush-hogging or some such, is to put old wore out truck tires on front. Go with steel belted radials if you can find some cheap ones. Tires off 3/4 ton four wheel drive pickups are good. They don't look good but they are better than most regular tractor tires you can buy.

The downside of fluid is it rusting out your rims from the inside out. I don't carry fluid in mine, front OR back. If you want fluid, there is a new kind out that is supposedly environmentally friendly and non-corrosive. I looked for a link but couldn't find it.
Posted By: Beoceorl Re: Tractor tires. - 08/18/08
I used to have flats on my tractor all the time until I started using a product called Slime in my front tires, and it has put a stop to flats.

We have a lot of Hawthorne trees on my place. I've had them puncture my boots and even a steel belted radial on my truck. Here's a picture of a typical Hawthorne thorn:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Tractor tires. - 08/18/08
That looks about like a Mesquite thorn,......though darker in coloration.

Slime dittos,.........foam's OK if you never use road gear,....it sure induces a rough battering ride in otherwise tractable machines.

Tractable,....get it?

Tractor flats,....GRrrrrrr

GTC
Posted By: AVMan555 Re: Tractor tires. - 08/18/08
Go to some that sales skid steer's and fill the tires with foam this is a forever fix. Not cheap but it is forever. DK
Posted By: FVA Re: Tractor tires. - 08/18/08
Real tractor tires laugh at thorns. I guess it might be an issue for older,run down, part time stuff that owners don't want to spend the bucks for tires because of the amount of use or worth of said tractor. Good tires cost good money and will have plenty of plies. A tire dealer that sells tire to the AG market will know what you need.
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Tractor tires. - 08/18/08
Originally Posted by FVA
Real tractor tires laugh at thorns. I guess it might be an issue for older,run down, part time stuff that owners don't want to spend the bucks for tires because of the amount of use or worth of said tractor. Good tires cost good money and will have plenty of plies. A tire dealer that sells tire to the AG market will know what you need.

.........You haven't worked in Arizona Mesquite, Pard.

GTC
Posted By: Beoceorl Re: Tractor tires. - 08/18/08
Originally Posted by FVA

Did you forget to include a smiley face or are you being deliberately offensive?
Posted By: rattler Re: Tractor tires. - 08/18/08
if you dont want to use a liquid in the tire due to rims rusting out why not get them powder coated? generally aint alot of money to have it done.....they get a ceramic or similar coating on them that is pretty impervious to most chemicals.......
Posted By: stumpy Re: Tractor tires. - 08/18/08
Funny thing is the 1 year old tire went flat and the 15 year old tire was fine.
FWIW This is a weekend rancher's tractor. Good old Massey . . .

stumpy
Posted By: bcp Re: Tractor tires. - 08/18/08
What type front tires do you guys run on your tractor in extremely thorny country? Or they solid or filled with something?

Some people found their best answer.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 721_tomahawk Re: Tractor tires. - 08/18/08
OK, we will go with better tires.. What size are they? I do sell tires, also.. smile
Posted By: km475 Re: Tractor tires. - 08/18/08
Gensco aircraft has tire and tube assemblys to fit nearly any size up to 21 ply,,, we have had very good service out of the doun here in the brush country
Posted By: tbear99 Re: Tractor tires. - 08/18/08
well i believe ribbed with higher ply rating is sufficient but as said you can run old truck tires.as far as slime when you dismount tire it leave a huge mess but works great for holes in tires
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Tractor tires. - 08/19/08
That top photo ( the old Green One) has got soul

I like the seat.

GTC
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Tractor tires. - 08/19/08
You wouldn't like it long if you had to ride it. lol
Posted By: Beoceorl Re: Tractor tires. - 08/19/08
Here are some even older tires. My great-grandfather was half owner of this old steam tractor. He and his partner bought it to snake logs out of some bottom land that was being flooded by Dale Hollow Dam. The tractor broke down and before the replacement part arrived it was surrounded by water and they couldn't get it out. The lake (Dale Hollow Lake) covered the tractor. A few years back some divers found it, raised it, and restored it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: stumpy Re: Tractor tires. - 08/19/08
That is an amazing story.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I need to get my food plots in soon on my personal place and need to find a replacement tire.

stumpy
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Tractor tires. - 08/19/08
Originally Posted by Ethan Edwards
You wouldn't like it long if you had to ride it. lol

That Apple crate looks good,Mebbe a piece of foam in there even,

Heck,.......the seat on mine's a piece of stamped steel !

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire