Home
yes, guitars are great, but they dont do much for a band without drums. they help keep rythym, and sound great when played properly.

my personal fav?

lars ulrich of Metallica.

a true drummer with a true double bass, and like a 18 piece kit.
Bonzo......

~ Gene Krupa
Neil Peart. Carl Palmer is way underrated IMO.....
stop it, what value is there if I know that. It's like who's your favorite blah blah b;ah who gives a hoot.

ya missed a beat on your 3rd "blah".
ha ha. flam tap flam tap roll....
While I see them as an important part of a band, I have never found an appreciation for the antics of an individual drummer. As always, just my opinion.
antics have very little to do with my appreciation of a drummer. their skill is what makes them great, just like guitarists. i dont care what they do as long as the great music keep on rollin'
P_Weed nailed it:

Gene Krupa

and the master:

Buddy Rich

There is not a rock drummer with the talent to compare.

Neil Peart
John Bonham
Keith Moon
anybody care to add some bands that go with the drummers?

Ginger Baker and "Cream"- still work for me.
Bun E Carlos- Cheap Trick
Carl Palmer
Neil Peart
Tommy Aldridge
Phil Ehart
Barrimore Barlow
Mark Craney
Steve Gadd
Buddy Rich
Bill Bruford
Louie Bellson
Ian Paice
Peter Erskine
Greg Bissonette
Originally Posted by P_Weed

ya missed a beat on your 3rd "blah".

Yup
Ringo
wow, somebody actually put ringo in there. didnt expect that.
Neil Pert #1
That guy from Def Leppard #2 cuz he works twice as hard as anyone else.
Of those that are "known".... John Bonhan and Ginger Baker.

Of the "unknowns"? I just returned from overseas, and was able to see a band called Beautiful Generation on their USO tour. They basically do classic rock, with a little of their own stuff thrown in. The drummer's name was Scotty Wittenberg. Phenomenal drummer! I was LOVING it! Not only was his musicianship (is that a word??) superb, WATCHING him was half the treat. He was genuinely enjoying what he was doing, with zero arrogance or cockiness about him. The whole band was great! They are from LA, so I doubt I'll ever see them again, but this Scotty Wittenberg was AMAZING!
Neal Peart
Lars Ulrich
John Bonham
Originally Posted by ironeagle_84
wow, somebody actually put ringo in there. didnt expect that.

What about Radar O'Reiley? grin
coldbore, have you tried to get their music on cd or mp3?
wow, radar?

scary.
Not MY vote, just trying to top Ringo. grin
You guys will hurt my feelings. The question was for your favorite drummer in a band. Not who you thought was the best lead drummer. Ringo don't care, he can buy all the rest.
My earliest influence was Bill Bruford. Later on John Bonham, Phil Collins, Neil Peart........and one nobody has mentioned Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater!!!

I'm kinda' old school,....to

Gene Krupa

Buddy Rich

Louie Bellson

Mike Fleetwood

.............For a different slant, though, NEVER pass up an opportuity to see "Kodo",.....a Japanese traditional groupthat will periodically turn up on tour. Fantastic performance group.
Originally Posted by croldfort
You guys will hurt my feelings. The question was for your favorite drummer in a band. Not who you thought was the best lead drummer. Ringo don't care, he can buy all the rest.

What about Phil Collins? grin He could "drum" and "sing" at the same time. Wow, what talent........
Check this out...........little known good drummer.............band also!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpV5InLw52U
actually if you want more real talent along the lines of phil collins, think about glen frey of the eagles. he also plays and is the lead singer. they made some of the most influential songs of my generation.
Bonzo by a mile.

Then....

Moon
Peart
Paice
actually if you want more real talent along the lines of phil collins, think about glen frey of the eagles. he also plays and is the lead singer. they made some of the most influential songs of my generation.

Henly, not Frey.
if my books are correct, don henley was the medley singer, and not the drummer.
Q: What do you call a guy who spends all his time hanging out with musicians?

A: The drummer.

My dad (a more-than-competent drummer, in a better-than-respectable Dixieland band) absolutely hated that joke.

My favorite drummer has 'em all beat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2KI-OKuqW4
coldbore, have you tried to get their music on cd or mp3?

The only thing I could find on their website was a solo album by the singer (a rather hot blonde...).

All of the other stuff on their site is with what I guess were the "original" band members. When I saw them, the drummer, guitarist, and bassist were all different than the website (and not nearly as punked out or hard-ass looking).

Hopefully, some day, I'll run across Scott Wittenberg on another stage and get to enjoy his drumming....
if my books are correct, don henley was the medley singer, and not the drummer.

Henly sang lead on 75%+- of Eagles songs. Frey sang 1 or 2 songs per album.

Henly was the drummer. I have seen them in concert twice. Only Henly plays drums. Frey was on rythem and keyboards.
Damn, my deliver is ALL wrong today. The Phil Collins reference was another attempt at humor. I don't care for him at all......
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

.............For a different slant, though, NEVER pass up an opportuity to see "Kodo",.....a Japanese traditional groupthat will periodically turn up on tour. Fantastic performance group.

Called 'taiko', but yeah, pretty awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hNZBXFaSFE&feature=related
Originally Posted by P_Weed

Ginger Baker and "Cream"- still work for me.
Me too.I played for a lot of years,never saw or heard anyone better.There's lot's of great drummers,but only one Ginger Baker! Monashee
Keith Moon was entertaining. Got to see him twice.
Now you guys made me burn an hour on youtube. I got sucked in. I hate when that happens.
No one mentioned Tommy Lee?.... grin grin
Originally Posted by 222Rem
Damn, my deliver is ALL wrong today. The Phil Collins reference was another attempt at humor. I don't care for him at all......

If you are talking about only his drumming, he was/is okay. Just don't let him be the center of attention. I saw him the year he toured with Clapton, and I thouroghly enjoyed the show. Hey, it was E.C.

All time favorite, Neil Peart from Rush. He is a machine. Managed to do interesting things within the framework of a song, not just a masterbatory drum solo.

Mystic Rhythms

Sorry .280.
Originally Posted by wuzzagrunt
Q: What do you call a guy who spends all his time hanging out with musicians?

A: The drummer.

A drummer told me this one:

What do you know you have when you see the drummer drooling equally out of both sides of his mouth?

A perfectly level stage...

John
Terry Bozzio and Vinnie Colaiuta come to mind.
Bonham, Peart are two of the best

Tommy Lee and Don Henley are two personal favorites.
Ginger Baker
John Bonham

And my personal favorite
Vinnie Paul--hands down best double bass drummer I have ever heard.
Neil Peart, John Bonham, Tony Williams.

Honorable Mention: Animal of The Muppets.
grin
Neal Pert
Buddy Rich
Keith Moon.

Endorsed as the best Rock Drummer by none other than Buddy Rich.
Peart was cool to watch....
Mick Fleetwood
Little Drummer Boy

1flier
© 24hourcampfire