Home
Since Dub just gave GM, et al a bunch of money, I thought it might be time to get sentimental.

2000 -- My first car was a 1986 Pontiac Parisienne, which lasted a week before a 1968 Cadillac Coupe deVille in Silverpine Green metallic with a black vinyl top came up for sale in the paper.

I sold the Pontiac POS, bought the Caddy, and rolled in style for two months before realizing at inspection time that cars had such things as "body mounts" and "Trunk pans" and that rust in these areas was BAAD.

Loved that car, sold it to an old guy for who had a collection. He planned to eventually restore or part mine but I don't think he ever did.

That was my first car. Still miss it sometimes.
A late 80's full size Ford Bronco with a V8 in it.A total POS that broke down on a semi-weekly basis.One day at the gas station it just wouldn't start,and that was the end of it.Gave it to my mechanic.

10 miles to the gallon on a good day,but that V8 could sure get er goin.How I lived through the 2-3 years of driving that thing 90+ MPH down the highway on a daily basis,I'll never know.

WB.
'95 Jeep Cherokee.....still have it.....its still more likely to start on a cold morning than any of the big 3, 1/2 ton trucks we have had......believe it was the cheapest model they made that year.....doesnt have chit for features....taught several ppl to drive a stick with it, its so low geared you can start it off in 3rd with no problems grin
Feeling old here, my first car was a '53 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup. Totally reliable vehicle guaranteed to get you where you were going and half way back. Vacuum wipers, starter on the floor, poured rod bearings, no radio or seat belts, rusted out heater and seat springs more powerful than the fabric trying to hold them in. It was a great little rig that took more than a few deer, ducks and pheasant home along with hundreds of fish. My first labrador loved that truck and demanded the window seat even if I took a buddy hunting or fishing. Heck, I even had a girlfriend that liked the truck.
Ward....my father in law is damn near 80 years old......fun as hell to sit and listen to him talk about the laundry list of cars and trucks he has had in that time.....especially the stories bout the hot rods he had before there was such a thing as power brakes or steering grin
'69 Chevy 1/2 ton with a 350, paid for in full by working my job all summer at $3.10 an hour.
1969 Delta 88 Oldsmobile, 2 door, 455ci, vinyl top, single exhaust w/ a cherry bomb on it!
well i have to admit it was a 70 z28 camaro but as i got a little older and wiser its been nothing but mopars since
First vehicle was an old '72 Dodge pickup that I put back together and washed dishes to save up insurance, license, and gas money for....

First car was a year or so later when I found an old '68 Chevy II Nova that I yanked the 6 banger/powerglide out of and installed a 350/turbo400 before I painted it Cadillac Baby Blue....all barnyard style, literally. The 2 gallon bondo'd hood scoop was only a minor detraction from it's originally intended intention as an SS wannabe.

The memories are oh so fond of that car's back seat.........
ok Second only to Ward....1957 Red Plymouth Savoy....remember to movie Christine? Same car!
1979 Ford F-250 no brakes and some times i made it home then an '81 AMC SX4 miss that car rebuilt the motor at 13 ran it for 50k and sold it for 1500 took on a 1993 Ford F-150 this truck has the most memories but the biggest POS ever i drove it until last year the Odo quit at 203k about 6 years ago so i figure it was pushin 250k or more
1976, bought my first car with hay haulin and calf raising money

71 Dodge Charger, black with black interior, 383 magnum with a 3/4 racing cam.

wrecked it and the body man didn't think he could recreate the tiny white dual pinstripes that ran down the curved body.

so we compromised, grill, then about 4 inches of black, 8 inches of white at an angle then 2 inches of black, white, black, white, then all black.

thought I was baaaad to the bone. other folks liked it too it seemed.

fun times, left it behind for Pops to sell when I boarded a plane for AK.
In 1986 a 1973 Ford Maverick, red with a 302, 2 bbl carb
87 broncoII 2.9 v6/5spd. had some lil 28" mudders and did it go places. Ended up taking a nap on the way home one afternoon. Rolled it into a ditch and then it endo'ed down the ditch for a while. Twas the last of it
'64 Malibu - very nice-looking car - only had a 6, but it got me where I wanted to go. Didn't need a key to turn the ignition if it wasn't locked and had a trunk that you could haul livestock in.
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
ok Second only to Ward....1957 Red Plymouth Savoy....remember to movie Christine? Same car!

Yes I remember Christine, enjoyed that movie
In 1952 I recieved a 1948 Dodge Business Coupe. Fluid drive huge trunk and all. Had it thru Gunsmith school. Remarkable vehicle.
Summer of 1980 and I'd turned 17 and had cash in the bank from haying and mowing and a summer job at the country club.. so my dad bought me a car with my money. Without asking me.

Sigh.

[Linked Image]

1972 Pinto hatchback. I definitely did get my money back out of that, and I learned a VERY important lesson that will work well with my 3 sons. Never, but NEVER, buy a hatchback for a teenage boy. Buy a 2 seater.
1971 Ford F-100 .
Seafoam green 1957 Chevy 210, 2 dr sedan - with a 235.5 inline 6 and a slushglide tranny.
1962 Ford Fairlane 500, 221 V8 and a Ford-O-Matic transmission.
'62 Chrysler Newport (white), 383, 4 bbl. 25 gal. tank which took less than $5 to fill.

Loved that car.........our football team car pooled and I could darn near get most of 'em in there!!

Hell on dates...........whoa!!
1946 ford Coupe- Later the old flathead was removed and replaced by a 57 Chevy engine thanks to some help from my brother
63 Chevy II SS
Originally Posted by stxhunter
well i have to admit it was a 70 z28 camaro but as i got a little older and wiser its been nothing but mopars since

Just to digress a bit, in the mid 70's here in TX new drivers had to take driver's ed in school to get your license < 18. So we show up on the first day to Pontiac Trans-Ams with the 455 in them, just like Smokey and the Bandit, although the one I had was white.
Thanks, now resume the thread.... smile
78 Pontiac Grand Am, that poor car went thru hell. I put it in a ditch on the side of the Glen Highway just outside of the Fort Richardson main gate, was about 3 feet of snow. I hit a Moose with it on Fort Richardson, and the car survived, with just a broken windshield and a slight crinkle in the hood. Slid down the road from Mt Alyeska to the bottom going sledding, that scairt me white. Sold it to a girl that I went to High School with, Cora Lee Falke, she was alright. grin
My first was a used '55 Chevy, Bel Air 2dr hdtp, two-tone white over green, 6 cyl/Powerglide. Believe I paid (IIRC) around $250-$275 for it.
As I was strictly a mopar guy as a youngin, my first was a 68 Barracuda with a 318 auto. I later had big blocks that were plenty faster, but if I could have just one of those old bombs back, It'd be that little green cuda. AM radio tuned to 89 WLS after dark, back when they still played stairway to heaven every night.
In 1974 I bought my first car. A 1969 Chevelle Nomad wagon . I loved that thing. It was a sleeper when it came time to run light to light.But it was mostly my hunting and fishing wagon.Sure wish I still had it. Might be worth a few bucks.
79 CJ5. Screamin' 104hp AMC304 V8, 3 speed. 11MPG, no matter what I did. Probably not a bad vehicle to learn to drive in... so worried about rolling it that I drove like a grandparent. Caught myself driving really slow when my friend let me drive her '86 Mustang GT 5 liter.
Paid $500 for a 1969 Firebird Convertable in 1974. My dad found it for sale. It was in rough shape. The owner had carried a john boat on the roof and the trunk deck was scratched up terribly, had a dent in the right rear quarter panel, and the top had been left down in the rain.

My dad had a friend who owned a body shop who was in the middle of a divorce and bankruptcy who agreed to fix the body and repaint the entire car for $200 if it was in cash. I took the seats out and replaced the carpet myself.

When I bought the car gas was around .45 a gal. Within a year it was over $1.00 It averaged between 6-12mpg. Around town it was always in single digits, 11-12 on the highway was the best it would do. My after school job paid $1.90/hour and it reached the point where I could not afford to drive it.

I kept it my junior and senior years in high school before selling it for $750 and buying something a lot better on gas. I wish I could have kept it and still see one like it on the roads occasionally.
1949 Ford Coupe with a flat head V8, three on the tree and two Stromberg two barrel carbs. Oh, and 'smitty' exhausts. Hot car for its day.
My first was '34 Ford my father found somewhere. Had mechanical brakes that needed setting up about once a week.

It went down the road before very long and was replaced with a '41 Pontiac coupe. This one lasted quite a bit longer.

Sitting here reminiscing and am having trouble remembering all the cars that have passed through my hands over the years.

Jim
'60 Chevy Fleetside shortbed p/u, with oak bed, etc. 235 sixbanger, 3 on the tree (and yeah, it would get stuck, requiring you to get out and pop it loose). This was about '75 or so. Seafoam green, black rims and chrome baby moon hubcaps, it was kinda sharp.
when i was learning to drive my dad usually let me have the old power wagon, a '61 1 ton...
he also had a barracuda, and a delta 88, which i wrecked...

the first car that i bought though, was a '67 fairlane... "ford green" 390 4 speed... all factory when i bought it... i put in an am fm radio and an 8 track, then started under the hood... a little chrome here and there and a new ignition and cam and i was a bad ass... for about 6 weeks.....
i loved that car.....
74 Pontiac Ventura, 350 with a 4 barrel. Ran on 7 cylinders for awhile and I finally cut a hole in the fender, snaked a rachet in there and was able to extract the half a spark plug and replace. Ran smoother after that grin
apparently a buncha kids. Didn't realize I was getting that far along. 53 Ford wagon/straight 6 instead of the v-8. Other memorables are a 52 Triumph TR2, 58 Buick (fast), 65 Rambler, 72 Dodge PU (10mpg up hill or down, even with engine off, I think).

Best 4 wheel drive probably was a 83 S 10 long cab, it would go anywhere you could point it. It was stuck to the ground better than anything since. Second would be the 65 Scout.
My dad had an '88 Chev pickup I could drive. 4.3 V6 and 5 speed.

The first one I bought was an 85 F150 4wd. 300-I6 with a 4 speed that had a super low granny first. Vinyl floor and seat, am radio with the big push knobs. I put a Cobra 29 LTD Classic in it. It was the stereotypical old man's truck. I bought it off a guy who used it to pull his 12 foot john boat north to fish. Nothing EVER went in the bed. 3 grand.
Car was a 1950 Plymouth business coupe.
[Linked Image]

Second was a '55 Savoy coupe.
[Linked Image]
1953 Dodge pickup...flat head six.....One tough old truck!

[Linked Image]

But..................

It looked more like this though............ grin

[Linked Image]
1955 Chevrolet (bought in 1961) 2 door sedan with 6 cylinder and 3 speed manual tranny. This was a great car and I drove it across the country to Montana and Idaho in 1962, '63 and '64 without a hitch.
1949 1/2 Ford pickup half ton with the flathead V-8 and three on the floor tranny...I paid $50 for it when I was 13...I was a budding body man then and customized her. Sold it years later and a guy that owned a large Ford dealership in Dallas got it and kept it on his showroom floor for awhile...It made a byline photograph in Hot Rod magazine...I've fixed alot of nice cars and trucks since that one but I wish that one back...Neat old truck...
1962 Ford Fairlane 144 CID 6 cyl. Got it from my sister and it got me around for awhile until I could upgrade to a 1964 Chevelle SS. Amazing that I survived those days.
Damn, some of you folks had some bad azz first cars and trucks. Of course that's because you were there for cars that, to me, would have been antiques/classics smile .

My "first" was a 1989 GMC 1500 that I bought in '95 for $500.00. It wasn't much to look at, but after swapping out the transmission, she ran like a champ. I did a lot of hunting and fishing in that truck before she got wrecked out.

George
A 1972 Plymouth Barracuda...barely lasted a year. WHen it was done, I moved into a 1974 Plymouth Scamp...lime green/slant 6. Best and ugliest car ever!
Mine was just like T Lee's. Year earlier though 54 but it was green. grin
41 Ford coupe, 51 Ford 6cyl, 48 Chrysler Conv with the semi auto transmission you could shift or not.
My first car was a bike. Bright orange 1975 Yamaha RD-350 B, bored to around 400, with expansion chambers, modified brakes, pipes and sporting a quarter fairing. Kick start. Sounded like a chainsaw on steroids, and blew blue smoke everywhere. Wheelied like it born to. God I loved that thing. Confiscated by police July of '86. Sold in a police auction in August of same year. Long story. May God bless the two strokers.

L
A 1984 Buick Century Diesel, of all things.
Seemed like it was always in the shop, but when it ran, it ran nicely.
79 Ford F150. 3 on the tree tranny. Good old truck.
Originally Posted by lhonda
My first car was a bike. Bright orange 1975 Yamaha RD-350 B, bored to around 400, with expansion chambers, modified brakes, pipes and sporting a quarter fairing. Kick start. Sounded like a chainsaw on steroids, and blew blue smoke everywhere. Wheelied like it born to. God I loved that thing. Confiscated by police July of '86. Sold in a police auction in August of same year. Long story. May God bless the two strokers.

L

I had the same basic engine in my 87 banshee. Ported and polished by Eric Gorr, PSI pipes and so much compression that CAM II Race fuel was the only thing that didn't detonate. WFO in 3rd when it decided to toss a lower rod bearing thru the cases. I went from 60mph to 0 instantly. Nice ride over the handlebars...

Love the sound...

Nothing like the 5 of us on 2 strokes tearing up the wood trails - listen to that all day.
Sound of a good thumper don't suck either...
1978 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe 20 4by.Still own it.It's on it 2nd body from me and 3rd engine plus put a Dana 60 front outta a wrecked crew-cab from the 80's.
What's with all these vehicles that included a transvestite?
The first car I was given to drive was a 1956 Pontiac FireChief. The first car I bought for myself was a 1965 V-W (I was a poor College student at the time.)
The first new car I bought was a 1980 Buick Regal. That was a nice car.

My wife still has her first car,a 1967 Mustang. I can't count the number of times she wanted to trade it off during the first few years we were married. I was always able to talk her out of doing that. Now the car is fully restored and parked in our garage. She wouldn't even consider selling it now. wink

The 55 Ford is my MIL's first car. Her Grandmother bought it off of the show room floor as her High School Graduation gift. Yes, she still has it. The photo was taken on her 50th wedding aniverisity a couple of years ago.

[Linked Image]
In the Spirit of kicking azz
[Linked Image]
57 chevy
75 Chevy C10 P/U in 1979. Wrapped it around a tree a year later. Bought a 72 Nova for $250 and ran it for 6 months or so. Only CAR I ever owned.
1960ish Mercedes-Benz 230SL. Slow but nice. jorge
Red '66 Chevy pick-up with a 283 v8 and a "3 on the tree" manual tranny.

The second was a '69 Ford Falcon with a straight 6 and auto tranny.

Expat
1972 Nova. It had five options: three speed floor shift, rally wheels, chrome around the wheel wells, AM radio, and chrome down the sides.
A 1963 Sunbeam Alpine. I had to re-tune the cab's every week.

The pocket rocket! Won more than a few races on the same bike my college roommate owned.
L
My first car was my Grandfathers' 1967 green Buick Electra 225 with a black interior that I inherited in 1976. The steering was about as far removed from reality as it could be-- one used the wheel to issue orders to the helm.

I used it for the summer between high school and college and then sold it in the Fall. I walked everywhere for a couple of years rather than deal with the hassles of a car on campus.

[Linked Image]
Behind the house
[Linked Image]

The newest in the fleet.08 Honda. [Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Behind the house
[Linked Image]

Oh that'll buff right out! grin
My first car was a 1940 Pontiac two door sedan, after my dad had put over 350,000 miles on it he put a new flat head six in it that he had got out of a junk yard and rebuilt the engine and had missed a hair line crack in #3 cylinder and every time I wentto start it when it was cold I'd have to take the #3 spark plug out and turn the engine over replace the plug and start the engine.

The first car I bought was a used Plain Jane 1955 Plymouth Savoy with the old slant six and the gear shift on the dashboard.
first car was a 68 camero convertable but that wasn't till i was like 19 yrs old i've always owned trucks since been 16yrs old.My first vehichle was a 79 ford pickup with 3 speed on the column
My first car was a '47 Willys jeep (a real jeep, not an SUV, a jeep)
My first car was this one looked just like it only had 82000 mile when I got it I was 16.
http://www.71chevelle.net/Wallpaper/71wallpaper/RussGreen71SS454WP.jpeg
First was a POS 1955 Frod Pu with a caddy engine....a REAL Frankenstein of a car...Sold it back to the guy at a loss two weeks later & BOUGHT A 1953 wILLY'S jeep. Now I'm going backward with a 1931 Ford Coupe with a cheve 350 solid lifter cam. [Linked Image]
Originally Posted by cra1948

I owned a '49 Willys Jeepster. It wasn't my first car but it was a fun car to drive with the old rag top and the eisenglass (sp) side curtins. I can remember loading my two boys up in it and taking them to Daytona Beach in February 1971 to see the Daytona 500. We liked to froze our donkey's off it was so cold as it had no heater to think of.

[Linked Image]

It looked just like this one.
Originally Posted by cra1948

Mine too, a '46 or '47. My uncle had used it for a farm vehicle and it was buried under hay in the barn. Hooked a chain to it and pulled it out. Burned a quart of oil per gallon of gas, or something like that.

Second was a '49 Chevy convertible, green like T. Lee's Plymouth.

Paul
Very first car: a well used 1953 chevy.. What a tank!!

My first NEW car however, was a 1969 Triumph TR-6 w/overdrive.. Canary yellow conv. with black top.. She'd do 125 on a straight..

How I WISH I still had THAT one... cry
Originally Posted by teal

L

I had the same basic engine in my 87 banshee. Ported and polished by Eric Gorr, PSI pipes and so much compression that CAM II Race fuel was the only thing that didn't detonate. WFO in 3rd when it decided to toss a lower rod bearing thru the cases. I went from 60mph to 0 instantly. Nice ride over the handlebars...

Love the sound...

Nothing like the 5 of us on 2 strokes tearing up the wood trails - listen to that all day.

Nice, and yep, the sound of a hot 2 stroke juts about gives me a woody to this day. wink Back at ya. One of my dream bikes, but illegal in the US. That won't stop me, however. Some day I'll own an RZ 500 or a RG 500 Gamma...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxlmj-Ehf2U
My first car was a 1958 VW Beetle. 36 hp engine, 4-speed on the floor, manual choke, no heater fan - only instrumentation was a speedometer and an odometer. No gas gauge, you just had the 1 gallon emergency tank that was made available at the switch of a lever. God help you if you forgot to put the lever back when you filled up, 'cause next time you were empty, you were really empty. A simple, no frills car that simply ran - and ran. Loved that car and wish I still had it.
My first car was a 1958 MGA. Parents of the girls I dated like it, too. They knew I couldn't do anything too bad in such a small vehicle. Decent mileage but British engineering was 'interesting'. Sold the car to get enough money to get married. Still married and coming up on 38 years so I guess it was the right choice.

Just in case my wife reads this, I'm only joking honey, of course it was the right choice.
Some really interesting stories in this thread!

I envy all you guys who were old enough to have a muscle car back before they were expensive!

By the time I was old enough to drive even a rusted-out Dodge Charger was worth $20k.

73 Ford Galaxy 500. That big back seat brings back a lot of memories
It was 1994 and the car was an all original 1971 oldmobile toronado, with the 455 big block. 16k orginal miles, it really was the car you hear that the old lady down the street only drove to church and back. Bought it from the old lady for $1500. Sold it to buy a pickup. Sold it way too cheap. Had some fun times, big backseat.....
'72 Chevy Luv truck. Baby blue w/ custom wheels.
1971 Silver Ford Pinto, the explosion model, though mine never did explode.
in one of my first pickups i was on a date and broke down i knew her dad would never believe it so i called him to come get us, and believe it or not he was so pissed at her when i dumped her i think he was hoping for the son he never had
Neat thread!!

My first rig was a 1949 Ford half ton pickup in 1962. Three on the floor with a flathead 6 banger. My first car was a 1959 Plymouth in 1964. It had a 318 V8 and the remarkable push button Tourqueflite slushbox tranny. laugh My first NEW car was a Dodge Omni in 1980. It had a VW engine in it with a four speed mannual tranny and proved to be a very good rig.
My First car was a 1964 Chrysler 300 convertable. Bought it in 1978 When I was a sophmore in High school. Loved that car Dark green with White top and White leather interior.
My first was a black 1987 Dodge Ram charger 4X4 with a 400 V-8 in it. That thing was like a tank. I could and did run over 6" diameter trees turning around. I loved that truck but at 10 miles to the gallon I couldn't afford to dive it.
1978 Chevy Nova. Bought it for $800 from a utility company. Had the Air Force ship it over to Germany for me. Drove it for 3 years and sold it for $900 over there.
Summer of 1971, between sophmore and junior years in HS.

1969 Chevelle 2 door hardtop, metalic blue, bench seat, 307, 3 on the tree. When I was done it had a three speed Hurst, bucket, seats, dual exhaust with Hollywood Blue Swingers, Mickey Thompson's, and aluminum rims I can't recall the brand of.

Second car is this one , that I still have. 1973 Camaro Z-28, all original with 26,000 miles. Ordered it new my senior year. Paid around $3950.00 for it. One of the few people that doesn't say "I wished I still had that car."

[img]http://[IMG]http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh167/alfbucket/009-4.jpg[/img][/img]
48 Ford F7 2 1/2 to truck, I was 12 and I started hauling hay and then cattle to the stock yards at OKC.

Pat
Hey aalf,
Still got mine too.
72 rally Nova 350/350
Still sportin bias plys.
Paid 900 bucks when it was 6 years old.
[Linked Image]
In 1951, I got my first car which was a 1931 Pontiac coupe with a 6 cylinder engine that originally had a cracked engine block which are been welded & repaired.

I paid $50 for the car and a few days after I bought it, I found what I thought was an additional "gas tank" in the rear under the car.

As soon as my Dad heard about the extra "gas tank", he got under the rear of the car and looked at the extra "gas tank". Then he got up and opened the trunk and began to root around... and, after a minute or so, he turned around, grinning like crazy, and said, "HA! This car use to belong to a moon-shine whiskey runner! That "extra gas tank" is a hidden moonshine tank and the fill-tube is hidden in the car's trunk. The tank's drain spigot is under the car at the rear of the tank.

The car had very poor mechanical brakes that didn't work very well... and my Dad soon got rid of that pile of junk and replaced it with a 1939 Chevy which ran a lot better (another in-line 6 cylinder) and had hydralic brakes that worked just fine.
First car?

1972 Mustang Grande, gold, with a brown vinyl top. 351 V-8 Cleveland, 3 spd auto, and factory AM/8-track. 52k original miles.

Cost me $200 (electrical fire behind the dash).

Sold it, for the engine, for $800 (though I didn't get the money...... long story).

Before I was 20, I owned 7 different vehicles, and grand total spent less than $1000 on purchase (Mustang, VW beetle, 1964 F100 Custom, 1978 Toyota Corolla wagon, 1976 Corolla coupe, 1978 Olds wagon, 1974 Volvo 142). At 20, I got a 1984 Nissan 4x4 (lifted), that cost me $1500, IIRC, and within about two years traded it on a 1982 CJ-7 (threw about $1k to boot), and drove the dogshit out of that CJ. Served me beautifully well for years. Of all the previous vehicles, the CJ is the one I want back the most, and nothing else is even close.
BTW - Derek, great thread!
A 1961 Zodiac
Chevy Z28 with a 350. That was a fun musclecar.
1964 Chevy Impala with a sweet 283ci V8. I got it in 1970 for $700 and it had 23K miles. My girlfriend (now wife) had a 67 Chevy Nova SS 396. When we married in 1974, we became practical (read stupid!)-sold em both and got a Toyota Celica. mad She sold that SS to her brother (a skilled mechanic) who still has it. Only around 48K miles on it still. I would guess my old Impala is on the streets of S. California sitting real Low. Poor thing!
A 1929 Ford Model A Victoria. This was in 1952. I had worked for a local rancher and he owed me some money. He asked me if the Model A would satisfy the debt. I immediately accepted. It needed a new battery, and to be registered and licensed plus insurance which added up to cost more than what he owed me. It took me about two days to clean up the mouse nest and washoff all the bird and chicken [bleep]. But it was a car and it was all mine!

While I was in the service my Mom donated it to a church scrap drive.

Frankly I didn't miss it!
It was a hand me down that my mom bought off her dad, my grandpa: an Oldsmobile Omega from the early 80's. It had a mobster look to it. I LOVED that car, drove it 'til it died, and died it did. It was a POS, just like the only other American car I've ever had, but I drove her between the ages of 16-18; I didn't know any better, and it was big enough to put 4 (3 in the back, and one in the passenger side) of my hooligan friends in it.
The first car I ever bought...a 1971 Z-28 Camaro with 350 cube,360BHP LT-1 engine, Muncie m-22 transmission. Bought it through the Post exchange system while I was in Vietanm so it was 100% fed and state tax free!!
1991 Ranger 4x4 pick-up. Shows my age....

It was a sweet ride for a 15yr old, as it was red with alloys, V6, and all the other goodies. There was no backseat in that supercab, but the front passenger bucket would recline waaaaay back....
I had a 63 chevy Impala, 4 door hard top, 283 with Powerglide tranny. Enough horses to have a little fun, not near enough to get in trouble dragging like my friends with the muscle cars. In the late 60's there were some sweet sounds coming from the tailpipes when we were shootin the loop!
1967 VW beetle. Price was $850, I believe.
Now, I learned to drive in a 1962 Plytmouth Valiant station wagon, 225 slant six, three on the tree. Dated in high school mostly in that car and a 1967 Ford pickup, again three on the tree.
My first car was a Pontiac Grand Am with the Quad 4 engine. It had an iron block and aluminum heads. The head gasket blew out 3 times on that stupid engine.
Hahah, the Quad 4. I remember that.

My '82 Cadillac (purchased to replace the '68) had the HT4100 iron block/aluminum head engine. It ate itself at 82,000 miles.
1950 Hillman Minx, four on the tree, developed a hole in the piston and the engine blew up while my sister was backing out of the yard.
1962 Rambler Classic - upgraded to a 67 Simca (a matchbox on wheels)
1949 Ford PU with a 4spd crash box and six throbbing cyls. cool
1968 Camaro,Corvette bronze, white interior, SS, 4sp, small block bought in 1976 for $600.
Not only did it have the 4sp, it had the optional console gauge cluster.

I still think about that car today
First car 71 Simca 1204

Second car Simca 71 1204

Yeah I know, how was I able 2 get the only 2 models of that highly sought after car in eastern ND. lol

They were fun little front wheel drive cars that were my "4 wheelers" during highschool.
'68 Ford Mustang. Lime green. 302 standard. It was my brothers. He left it to me when he went to the Marine Crop.
'51 Chevy, "Deluxe" real special- AM radio, and automatic transmission! That was 1969 I was the first of the gang to have a drivers license. We had allot of fun in that old girl. The next door neighbor gave it to me for $10.00 worth of odd jobs.
1928 Chevrolet pickup, the last time Chev. made a four cylinder until the Chevy II came out in 1962. Wish I still had that old rig!
1966 VW bug, man could that thing haul ass down dirt roads. Bought it for $600. and it was a cherry. Had it for a couple of years then bought a 69' Fiat Spyder - toughest car to get laid in I've ever owned, fared much better in the backseat of that 66' bug.
68 Plymouth Roadrunner with a 383 3 speed.
The 383 didnt last long was on its last legs anyway, I bought a magazine on how to build engines and read it thru and thru then built a smoking hot 440 with dual 4's and a full race cam.....dang that car was fun! wish I woulda never sold it.
I had 4:86 gears in the rearend and the frame was tied down with elephant ears holding the 440 in the engine compartment....talk about a launch!
'57 Dodge Coronet, 2-door hardtop, 325ci V-8, push-button Torqueflite automatic, dual exhaust. Nice ride. Rust finally claimed it. cry

http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/photo/244521,14782,0,0/1957-Dodge-Coronet_Photo.aspx
I bought a 78 camaro when i was 15 with the good intentions of restoring it. Well I got as far as swapping the 6 cyl and auto for 350 and a M21 4spd my dad and I rebuilt. Many great memories with dad came out of that. Well after those went in I seemed to care less about what the body looked like because as long as the tires were smokeing you couldn't see the body! It's still in primer grey and in my garage waiting for the day when i find some more time and money.
Bought a `53 Ford two door, when I was 16. By the time I was 17, she had a `57 J2 Olds, with Isky roller tappit, and Jahns pistons. Later added bubble skirts, and a continental kit.
Can you tell I was a product of the 50`s?
76 Monte Carlo, 350 4B automatic, maroon with a white vinyl top and an 8-track player. laugh
Lot of nice first cars here on the board. When I turned 15 (in 1993) my parents gave me their 1980 Toyota Celica that they had bought new. Was the only car at my high school with an 8 track player. I hated that car with a passion but couldn't kill it. laugh
My first ride looked exactly like this I was 16�

[Linked Image]
1976 Olds Cutlass S, it had a 260 V8,it was slower than stop and the paint was faded but it got me where I needed to go.
A sixty something Veedub Microbus, old enough to have the split windshield. Had been upgraded to forty wild horses, tho I couldn't get it to do a burn out no matter how much I tried. Instead it just got real loud "....brrrrrrrBRRRRRRRRRRRbrrrrr...."

Middle bench seat long gone, cheap shag pile carpeting, with eight people in the back the inside rear wheel would lift clean off of the ground in sharp turns. I still recall the look on those folks stopped at a light late one Saturday night when I was making a hard right, chasing after a friend in a Nova. The loaded up microbus bus leaned way over to the outside and as the feeble glow of the headlights swept across their windshield, it revealing their wide-eyed expressions within.

Surprisingly good traction and ground clearance too on dirt roads off in the woods.

Yeah I wish I still had it, and a good thing we were all immortal as teenagers....

Birdwatcher

1987: First car was my parents' 1967 Ford Custom 500 (I'm still not sure what made it different than the Galaxy 500). 289 Mustang engine that had a crack that leaked oil (squirting it into the fan and then back over the engine...mmmm I can still smell it at high speed!)

No Power anything...if you wanted to stop or turn, you needed to know it ahead of time...good thing we lived in the sticks where there was no need for that parallel parking crap.

Then was a 76 Chevy Malibu Classic, no trunk or passenger space, but all hood and 350 engine. Rode like an Easy Chair.

First car I actually owned (my name on title) was a '77 Jeep Wagoneer. A hand-me-down wedding gift from my parents...I loved that truck!

First car I actually bought was a 1992 Explorer...great vehicle...actually "hand-me-downed" it to my Dad a couple years back when we bought a newer Explorer.

Good memories of good vehicles...

Aqualung
My first car was 1949 Dodge fluid drive. I was 16 and paid $50.00.
Talked about this with dad, he was telling me about my uncle's first car -- 1969 Pontiac GTO, gold with black top, floating gas pedal. He sold it to go back to grad school!
Originally Posted by Violator22
78 Pontiac Grand Am, that poor car went thru hell. I put it in a ditch on the side of the Glen Highway just outside of the Fort Richardson main gate, was about 3 feet of snow. I hit a Moose with it on Fort Richardson, and the car survived, with just a broken windshield and a slight crinkle in the hood. Slid down the road from Mt Alyeska to the bottom going sledding, that scairt me white. Sold it to a girl that I went to High School with, Cora Lee Falke, she was alright. grin

In all fairness, you did not tell me ANY of that stuff about the car when I bought it!
laugh with tears
Mine was a '61 International Scout in 1983. The little two seater with a red body and white roof. Little truck would go through anything you dared take it through, until the night I tried to cut across the practice football field at the high school. Sunk it to the frame in that good old SE Texas gumbo, and stuck three more trucks trying to pull it out. Finally got it out, but Lord did the coaches make me pay dearly for that mistake. My legs are still tired from all the running I had to do. Still have it too, sitting in a hay barn. I need to restore the little dude and get it back on the road.
My older brother bought me a 1959 Chevy Fleetside pickup with a 235 Thriftmaster. I ran it hard and never could kill it.
1972 El Camino
'76 Ford F100 with the Ugliest brown/tan paint job ever dual fuel tanks that cost $33.75 to fill up both of them 390Ci under the hood with a worked over Holley carb and real good brakes put in by a mechanic friend of the family who made me swear to never tell anyone that he did that.Am only radio Heat/Ac that worked most of the time.The "hot" car was the Honda CRX amongst the preppy kids the look on his face as i went up Greentop Hill is a cherished memory...and so is that talking to i got from that State Trooper.
63 Chevy Short Box pickup with a three on the tree and a 6 cylinder.
© 24hourcampfire