Home
hello all, i am just wondering what your handle means , and how did you come up with it?

mine, Ironeagle_84 is simply a name to imply my soaring spirit, and iron will, along with the year i was born.

what's your story?
It was the nickname (along with tripod) that the girl cheer leading squad gave me in high school.
grin is that because you were so slow at picking things up in school, or just hard headed? (the big head) grin
Posted By: Tom264 Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/22/09
Originally Posted by Steelhead
tripod

Oh brother!
mine is the state I'm from, and the 1135 was the number branded on the best horse I ever rode, his name was possum
cool, keep em coming guys and girls
A goofy name my Dad gave me as a kid. Lawrence-D-Waz. Not real sure how he came up with it. Only has meaning to me and my family.
Mine is my first name and the way my last name sounds. Gaither. Fellow officers just call me Gator.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/22/09
Tom is my name and the .264WM is the greatest cartridge ever concieved of.

Hows that go....
.264 till I die,........the greatest round ever!
I wear a black derby and I'm a a dude. Derby Dude.
Mine is the hero of a old time Radio show my dad listened to growing up, it was also created the year he was born. He used to talk about it, I thought it was cool and its a way for me to remember him. More can be found here.

http://www.otr.com/cm_history.shtml
Posted By: bea175 Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/22/09
bea is my initials Bob Edward Anderson
thats mean tom. the 30-06 is wayyyyyyy better wink grin
Posted By: bender Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/22/09
I'm a powerlifter, and lift enough to make a Texas Power Bar bend. Guess I coulda done barbender.
Originally Posted by bea175
bea is my initials Bob Edward Anderson

what about the 175?
carry over from other forums......always been known as the critter guy in town.....and that snake guy......rattlers are just one of the species that interests me most.......thatand i tend to keep my usernames and such the same on various sites...... if its not rattler its rattler_mt for Montana......
nah bender, i like it the way it is. it could mean you had a rough weekend drinking too grin
Posted By: 6mm250 Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/22/09
The only wildcat rifle I own , 250 Savage necked down to 6mm

Mike
My favorite fish

[Linked Image]
yup, they sure are fun to catch huh?

i got my first one in 13 years all by myself last year. it was 27" and 9 1/2 pounds.
Mannlicher-Schoenauer Rifles
I did a lot of dredging on the middle fork of the American river. Up until a few years ago I used to spend the entire summers there. If gold prices stay up & the economy stays in the crapper, I may try to hit it again this summer.
Picked it up while I was hunting with the indians. Saw things there, I still can't explain.
http://www.jicarilla.net/Protocols.htm#visiting
My favorite fish

Figured that'd be snapper.............
VAnimrod = "Virginia hunter"
Posted By: shreck Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
Shreck, not Shrek, as I am not a green Ogre, has been my nickname since about 1978.
It's part of my last name, Shreckengost. Funny thing is my dad got tagged with Ghost. I never did. Even my high school teachers called me Shreck. It means fear or scare BTW.
I don't always catchum, but I am always AFTERUM.......
mine's a character from an Elmer Kelton book.
Steely eyed killer of the deep.....the long way of saying attack sub sailor.
gmsemel, is the first part of my email address, its also my name George Myron Semel on another board I use BH206L3, thats Bell Helicopter Model 206 Longranger three. Till of late that is what I like to fly above all else, except Beech 18's. Shreck, my family name on my mothers side is Zeleznicky, it was Zeleznicki before her Father got to Ellis Island. Eastern Poland/ Ukraine area. Came over in the late 1880's.
tbear is how to properly pronounce my last name.And the 99 is of course for the famous savage 99 one of the best hunting rifles ever made
Posted By: Odessa Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
Lived in Odessa TX when I was a boy; started shooting in SASS about 12 years ago and needed a handle so "Odessa" was it. I haven't shot SASS in over six years, but I used the handle to register on several forums, so I guess it has stuck.
When I signed onto the Campfire I was scoutmaster of my son's troop. He made Eagle and after a couple more years I passed the position on to one of the younger dads. I am still active on the troop committee, but not a scoutmaster anymore. Maybe its time for a change in my handle.
Posted By: 7 STW Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
I forgot....
Posted By: aalf Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
I'm alf on the other forums, for Al Forbes, (sorry no relation to the money bags) but some knothead that's never posted took my handle, so I added an extra a.
My handle is my trucks license plate, or my trucks license plate is my handle. Can't remember which.

Mike
Posted By: eh76 Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
I use Elk Hunter on Gunbroker but it wouldn't let me use it here IIRC.
When I signed on I thought the 458 lott was a pretty neat chambering. I subsequently sold it, built another and sold it. While I now know I can handle signifigant levels of recoil, I also know that I don't need to nock the snot out of myself either.
Posted By: rob p Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
It was the nickname (along with tripod) that the girl cheer leading squad gave me in high school.

I named the cat in hunting camp who lost a leg to a gator Tripod. The owners didn't like it. We all thought it was funny.
In the early days before SWAT, I was the sniper on my squad. Political correctness changed it to "shootist." Had to add the article in front to get 24hr to allow it.
I'm big as a bear and hail from the hills of NC thus hillbillybear. grin
Posted By: okie Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
Gee...I'm just an okie...
Posted By: NH K9 Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
My handle just demonstrates my lack of creativity. It's where I'm from and what I do for a living.

George
Posted By: wldthg Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
11 months of my life----- Web

Attached picture 12038-WLDTHG3A.jpg
My grandfather gave me a ruger 243 and a 223 so that is what mine is. First two rifles I ever had. HAPPY HUNTING
Wow Steelie, I never knew how much you favor that Radio Operator dude on Hogan's Heroes. You ought to star in the remake dude. You know how chicks dig those hollywood types. You might get a date with that Renee Zellwenger chick.
I'm from Oklahoma and Oklahoman through and through, but I've not been back to the State for anything longer than short visits since I joined the Army in 1987. Since then I have lived in several other States, lived in three different countries, spent significant amounts of time in several more countries, and visited many other states and countries. After all that, I will go back to Oklahoma when I'm done with the Army.

ExpatFromOK
What I do. Forests, either for work or play, are my best friend.

Craig
I like Ackley Improved cartridges. Some say that's foolish, but too bad...for them.
I coach basketball and one night we had a big, big, loss. Stayed up until the wee hours and then got my son up to go duck hunting.
After about the third go, my son said "Dad"...yes son..."when they come in on your side, why don't you let me shoot before you scare them".
My brother was there and I became DuckScarer.

Greg
I hunt coyotes a lot, and I hunt behind bird dogs as well as hounds.
the Adirondack Mtns are my favorite place,and Rick is my name
Posted By: zxc Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
the name of the big airedale in the picture, bink is the little one.

on poker stars and fulltilt its furbink
What I do to pay the bills

[Linked Image]
RAH........my initials

Treelimbs.........I do treework as a side biz/hobby!!!
a long-suffering left handed shooter from (and now back to) Utah.

I'm a veterinarian by trade but have always shied away from deliberately drawing attention to the fact(titles and such).
Family nickname, I'm part Gros Ventre indian (part Assinaboine) and I don't have the foggiest where George came from. To this day everyone in the my family, and some non-related family, still call me George. It is not my name but I answer to it.
keep em coming guys, this is great.
Posted By: T LEE Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
It's most of my name.
I can bend steel in my bare hands.
It's how I hunt elk. In hindsight it makes me sound too old to be still huntin.
Hmmmmm ...... wink
nickname BEAR..grandaughter Ellie...thus Elliesbear
Originally Posted by DuckScarer
I coach basketball and one night we had a big, big, loss. Stayed up until the wee hours and then got my son up to go duck hunting.
After about the third go, my son said "Dad"...yes son..."when they come in on your side, why don't you let me shoot before you scare them".
My brother was there and I became DuckScarer.

Greg

laugh laugh That's good stuff!!!
I got it in the Marine Corpss for the way I looked playing linebacker on a flag football team.
wow, a dancing marine?

the only marine i have seen dance was dancing around bullets as he annhialated a few enemies with his pistol after he ran out of bullets for his rifle.

the most awesome thing i have ever seen.
Heck I don't know!

Had a friend say that I had gotten lost after high school. I remember that when I signed up.
Notropis is the genus of some minnows.
hmmmm, and are you a minnnow?

or a sexual barracuda like me? grin
"DuckScarer"

Very good stuff. Times to treasure.

Craig
Posted By: Brad Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
My parents were so insightful they gave me my handle in anticipation of the internet...
Originally Posted by Brad
My parents were so insightful they gave me my handle in anticipation of the internet...

smartazz grin
Posted By: elwood Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
Nothing...just a name
Originally Posted by ironeagle_84
Originally Posted by Brad

smartazz grin

Well, duh laugh
Posted By: RDFinn Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
Roy is the first name, Daniel is my middle.
Posted By: kciH Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
I'm thinking mine is pretty self-explanatory.
Posted By: CWG Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
My initials, or my name....I just dont get all the nicknames used.
LOL, like in the 70's when some of the high school kids would ride around using handles on the CB like starsky or hutch laugh
glad to see people have a sense of humor in this thread. at least this isnt political.
Originally Posted by kciH

i must be retarted... i dont get it...
Ditto
...as in a 6.5-pound SxS, 12-g sidelock that's a favorite upland bird gun.
It is the name of one of my smaller boats and an indirect reference to the Minnow on which Ginger and Mary Ann sailed. I prefer Mary Ann although, at my age, Lovie Howell is beginning to look mighty good.
oh man, gilligan's island!!!

havent seen that show in years.
Enjoy collecting vintage timepieces and vintage 303 Savage 99's. But subconsciously might have been something to do with my age and Savage 303's.
Mr. ironeagle 84;
Thank you for the interesting thread.

I�m afraid I lack imagination, as the BC is where home has been for the last 2 dozen years and the 30cal is the bore size in a lot of our rifles for some reason.

I guess if I had to do it again, I�d likely go the way Brad did, except I�d likely use Dwayne. wink

Regards,
Dwayne
it's short for rock chucking bastard.

i must be retarted... i dont get it...

Backward Hick
Mine is in Honor of our new Chancellor, but my old handle was my Callsign on the company net. Les
hello all, i am just wondering what your handle means , and how did you come up with it?

mine, Ironeagle_84 is simply a name to imply my soaring spirit, and iron will, along with the year i was born.

what's your story?

1984? I got kids older.....heck I got shirts older than you! grin
My dad gave me the nickname �Dead Eye Dick� in 1975 after a remarkably successful season of elk hunting. It became �DED� so I could register top ten scores on arcade video games of that time which only recorded three letter initials. At some point it evolved to �DED7� after more than three letters were available on the machines and someone else had already used �DED� (the rifle I used during the previously mentioned elk season was a 7mm). Fast forward to the late nineties and the internet. The first time I attempted to use �DED7� as a handle on the internet it had already been taken so I just spelled out the seven. It�s been the same ever since. My dad died in 1980 and I still smile when I remember him giving me that nickname while standing in our old camper in the Blue Mountains of south eastern Washington State. Great memories!
Originally Posted by dedseven
My dad gave me the nickname “Dead Eye Dick” in 1975 after a remarkably successful season of elk hunting. It became “DED” so I could register top ten scores on arcade video games of that time which only recorded three letter initials. At some point it evolved to “DED7” after more than three letters were available on the machines and someone else had already used “DED” (the rifle I used during the previously mentioned elk season was a 7mm). Fast forward to the late nineties and the internet. The first time I attempted to use “DED7” as a handle on the internet it had already been taken so I just spelled out the seven. It’s been the same ever since. My dad died in 1980 and I still smile when I remember him giving me that nickname while standing in our old camper in the Blue Mountains of south eastern Washington State. Great memories!

a story worth hearing.
Originally Posted by ironbender

Same general idea here...
Actually it means I have alot of lead in my pencil.
Posted By: Teal Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
Just a name, or a color or a duck...
cottonwood tree
nice avatar teal, did vince give you a Shamwow for doing that? grin

ooooh, that guy creaps me out, he looks like a rat selling clean.
Monashee is the name of the mountain range behind my home.
I can like to piss on the toilet seat.

Rasty...
Posted By: Sassy Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
As I'm Kamerad Les' (formerly known as Violator 22) mother, would you use your real name?

goodnews is from the Old English godspel, referring to the Gospel, the New Testament story of man's redemption by Jesus Christ.

It is very good news.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
KWG020 My initials and my former badge number. kwg
Originally Posted by Sassy
As I'm Kamerad Les' (formerly known as Violator 22) mother, would you use your real name?

I was waiting for this! grin
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
My actual name is Neslo Ffej, but I flipped it around for my handle. That was pretty clever if I do say so my own self.

I'm thinkin' he's a backwards Hick..... wink
Just saw that m'I a elttil wols... grin
It's the name of my charter boat. We fish for salmon, steelhead and other trout on Lake Michigan. Salmonhead was a topic describing basically that I think about fish more than anything else. Also my handle on several fishing sights I frequent. Fishing is about the only thing I do more than hunt, just because the season is longer.
SPH300wsm = Steyr Pro Hunter .300 Winchester Short Magnum
keep em comin there folks, this is fun.
there's 2 classes of serious competitive shooters,
...those who've crossfired,.....
...those that will,

GTC
What I do for a living and what I like to do.
An error on my part while trying to register.
Posted By: Armen Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
I have a lot of admiration for Charles Sheldon, the author of Wilderness of the Yukon, Wilderness of the Denali and Wilderness of the North Pacific Coast Islands, as well as his journals that inspired The Wilderness of the Southwest.

My name came from the Seri indian village (Armen) on Tiburon Island that Charles Sheldon visited and hunted from back in the early 1920's.

Rich
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
My favorite fish

Figured that'd be snapper.............

ROTFLMAO!!!!

Shoot
I grew up around a fair amount of brothers and as a result I continued to drink Old English well into my 20's. So during some training I attended, everybody thought it was funny that the "whitest, white guy" drank 40's of Old English . My last name is Frost so it became "Frosty Deflave." Often abbreviated to "deflave".

But nobody really calls me that anymore.
thats funny!
Spot shooter -

Grew up hunting ruffed grouse, so I learned to spot shoot from low gun. If you haven't hunted them before you may get up to 2-3 seconds before they're out of sight so you have to drop them. Some people consider me fast, especially those who pheasant hunt next to me. wink

cool
Posted By: GeoW Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
First name, middle Initial
Originally Posted by Armen
I have a lot of admiration for Charles Sheldon, the author of Wilderness of the Yukon, Wilderness of the Denali and Wilderness of the North Pacific Coast Islands, as well as his journals that inspired The Wilderness of the Southwest.

My name came from the Seri indian village (Armen) on Tiburon Island that Charles Sheldon visited and hunted from back in the early 1920's.

Rich

The old one legged Pirate in Disney's original " Treasure Island" closed off a burrial prayer,....."Armen"

Glad you cleared that up.

GTC
I wanted the name Hawkeye (just because it suggests a marksman, not that I have great vision), but it was taken. So I figured I'd one up Hawkeye by calling myself The Real Hawkeye.
hmmmm. you ever see lightning jack with paul hogan?
hmmmm. you ever see lightning jack with paul hogan?
Nope.
My Grandfather always has those 4-legged roadrunners stickers on his van when I was just a kid and my Aunt used to collect roadrunner stuff, onyx carvings, pictures ect. I have The RoadRunner tattoo on my right shoulderblade in memory of them and 65 is the year I was born! It is also my favorite cartoon! grin
GTC- thought that was crossfire... come BAAACCCKKK...... BTDT.

Back on topic.... CMP competitions allow folks to fire whats commonly called leg matches, enough legs and you are a "distinguished rifleman" of which there are not that many that qualify... goes back to the late 1800s or early 1900s IIRC and my badge was 1200something... Wifes was 1400something

anyway its shot without sighters starting at 200 and finishign at 600 yards, with a service rifle, IE AR15 and iron sights. Perfect score is 500. So you got mine now, I managed a 495 out of 500, and that gave me the 99% badge from NRA and it was only one of I think 3 that were fired that year, and the only one in a leg match IIRC. Anyway I have a handle on another forum thats rost 497, thats a goal, but wont' get matched as I don't shoot that sport anymore at this time.

Jeff
Posted By: 4xbear Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
My name means little bear in english and I drive a 1953 M38-a1 off road so 4xbear
Posted By: WGM Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
my handle is simply my initials ...
Literal translation=Deer Slayer, also the name of a small scorpion found in the Sonoran Desert that supposedly can kill a deer with its sting
One of my 2 best friends was in Vietnam at the same time I was. Didn't know him yet. He was with N/75 Rangers. Once back home we got tight. Whenever one of us was found up to mischief(which was often) we would say it wuzn't me. It musta been my EvilTwin. So there actually IS 2 of us. Scary thought eh???
Originally Posted by rost495
GTC- thought that was crossfire... come BAAACCCKKK...... BTDT.

Back on topic.... CMP competitions allow folks to fire whats commonly called leg matches, enough legs and you are a "distinguished rifleman" of which there are not that many that qualify... goes back to the late 1800s or early 1900s IIRC and my badge was 1200something... Wifes was 1400something

anyway its shot without sighters starting at 200 and finishign at 600 yards, with a service rifle, IE AR15 and iron sights. Perfect score is 500. So you got mine now, I managed a 495 out of 500, and that gave me the 99% badge from NRA and it was only one of I think 3 that were fired that year, and the only one in a leg match IIRC. Anyway I have a handle on another forum thats rost 497, thats a goal, but wont' get matched as I don't shoot that sport anymore at this time.

Jeff

I've done OK ,....but build em' better than what I can shoot. My pards started shooting extra shots on my targets
in practice matches,....and callin' me "Crossfire"

Believe me, I'd earned that sorta' teasing.

The WIMPS around this site,....that can't handle a little gruff and abrupt text ain't worth the sweat offa' our balls

GTC
Ugh...not shur. That's what the tag on my shirt says.

Lt. P. Powell
Posted By: FC363 Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
FC is for Funny Car, as in Nitro Funny Cars which is my job, and 363 is the competition number that used to be on the cars that my Dad and Uncle raced together.
stx=south texas' hunter is my last name
Originally youngbuckaz86
Got youngbuck from watching buckmasters
AZ for the state I live
86 for being 86d from the football team my senior year.

Currently Enrique
Its my name
Means Rule of the homes
Is Henry in English
Is also the first name of my great grandfather, uncle and numerous other family members on my moms side.

Proud of it!
Houndgirl gave it to me....
Posted By: Maser Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
Oh how I love these topics. Most people online don't know that my screen name is really my real life nickname. And it is NOT a typo for Master or Mauser. It's Maser. MASER is an acronym for Microwave Amplified Stimulated Emission Radiation. I got that name when I was 5 because I used to love to play around with our microwave oven. I used to put all sorts of things in it. Metal and CDs were always coolest things to put in. But yeah, that's my real nickname. I like it. I just hate being called "Mazy".
Posted By: yeselk Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
I got tired of saying yes dear.

I know. I should of thought longer.

Thanks Mazy
You should know better than to say, " I just hate being called Mazy".
Guy's on here, might use that on you.

Take care

I'm a Contractor / Carpenter thus the hammer.

Hammerdown

Thinking about a handle change. Might go with my name.
Take Care
Beat a gun snob in a steel plate match with Mccullough .45 vs his $2,500 Bercquist pistol he talked a little smack about what "An average shooter." i was.Hence Dave Average Guy.Kinda hope i never meet Pistolsmith Wayne Bercquist he might be upset.Fast ain't fast,Smooth is fast.
Originally Posted by Daverageguy
Beat a gun snob in a steel plate match with Mccullough .45 vs his $2,500 Bercquist pistol he talked a little smack about what "An average shooter." i was.Hence Dave Average Guy.Kinda hope i never meet Pistolsmith Wayne Bercquist he might be upset.Fast ain't fast,Smooth is fast.

Calm down,....stay as funny as this post makes ya' out'

You IDPA?

GTC
I have a Glock Model 22 that's a .40 caliber. Probably the best shooting pistol I have ever picked up.

Tim
Posted By: 700LH Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
Shoot lefty and use a 700.

Good thread.
i'm just one alaska hunter

one of many, no more, no less
I've not IDPA'ed for real but when you pick up a rifle and someone says "Oh why would you do that? is that really "Tactical"?" I told mr.lifebreaker and hearttaker that rifles make more Noise and a Garand has a little bit more stopping power than his Performance Center .356S&W.I don't think i would've been welcomed/
Was my favorite character from a video game I played when I was a kid, and subsequently just started using it as my handle for various sites, including this one. I doubt anyone knows what game that would be, you're all too damn old... grin
Originally Posted by Daverageguy
I've not IDPA'ed for real but when you pick up a rifle and someone says "Oh why would you do that? is that really "Tactical"?" I told mr.lifebreaker and hearttaker that rifles make more Noise and a Garand has a little bit more stopping power than his Performance Center .356S&W.I don't think i would've been welcomed/

There it is

GTC
I'm not "Cajun" but moved to Lafayette, LA over 20 yrs ago.

I respect the Cajun way of life, and the food here is second to none .

Blake is my first name

Today's History lesson and worth reading to further your education wink

In France, in the 1600s a large community of peasants and laborers were alarmed by the Protestant domination of their province. Bound together by an intricate network of extended families, they fled France and settled in New France, what we call today Nova Scotia. Profoundly religious, devoted to the Blessed Mother, they trusted in the power of prayer. They named their colony Acadia. In isolation, the already existent sense of community became stronger.

In 1710, the colony was permanently handed over to Britain by the French. The British demanded the Acadians take an oath of allegiance to the King of England. This was a shocking request to the Acadians. "Better for us to obey God than men!" They refused to take an oath to any government, any man, much less one in which the monarch had rejected the Catholic Church. So the British replied by demanding the deportation of the entire huge Acadian population. This began an exile of Biblical proportions.

In 1755, the mass exile began. Men and boys were arrested. Their crops and homes were burned. Then their families were loaded on ships. The government was quoted as saying that they must "rid the province of the Acadian problem," words hauntingly similar to the Hitler solution. For it was genocide and an attempt to completely destroy a population.

Loaded on ships, displaced and penniless, the exile began. During the voyages, almost 1/3 of the Acadians succumbed to small pox and dysentery. The British disbursed them in small groups throughout the 13 colonies; many were sold into slavery. Families were separated and decimated. Many were literally dumped on the icy shores of the colonies in the middle of winter. The Protestant population rejected these Catholics and so they huddled together in abandoned buildings and barns, the women begging in the streets.

Eventually, many found their way to Southern Louisiana, arriving utterly destitute and with barely the clothes still hanging on their backs.

You know what the first thing they did when they arrived? They asked for their marriages to be blessed and for their children to be baptized. Then, the next thing they did was to dance and to sing on the docks. This was the beginning of a culture that we have come to know of today as Cajun. It's a culture that is more than just boudin, zydeco music and cayenne pepper. I wish I had the time here to explain what Cajun culture really is. If any of us are going to minister to Cajun people, we have a responsibility to learn about and to understand the culture--a culture bound by the French language, the Catholic Church, devotion to family and intense devotion to the Blessed Mother. In every aspect of Cajun life, there is a profound sense of God's presence.

So now you know how Boudreaux and Thibodeaux made their way to South Louisiana wink grin smile

Originally Posted by Scorpion
Was my favorite character from a video game I played when I was a kid, and subsequently just started using it as my handle for various sites, including this one. I doubt anyone knows what game that would be, you're all too damn old... grin

Never had a swarm / hatch/ infestation of em' in your back 40,....scorpions, like?

Brrr.

Hey, it's just your handle,

sorry I overreacted to it once.

GTC
Nah, never have, and I sure as hell hope not to! Always thought they were an interesting creature, just not one I'd want to find in my shoe or something.

No apology needed bud, my feelings weren't hurt. If nothing else, this place has got me a thicker skin. smile
Posted By: Maser Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09

Old huh? I was 4 when that game came out. laugh I was more of a Reptile fan though.
It's what I do for a living. Either wastewater treatment or water treatment, or both. Been doing it since 1991.

Joel
Originally Posted by Waterguy
It's what I do for a living. Either wastewater treatment or water treatment, or both. Been doing it since 1991.

Joel

Well, (no pun) at least you know your schit.

It may look like corn to you but it's GOLD to me!! You schit it we git it. Were #1 in #2.

I know what Shinola is and that ain't what I do.

Joel
Posted By: KDK Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
Dunno how I came up with mine.

Kurt D. Karlson

It may look like corn to you but it's GOLD to me!! You schit it we git it. Were #1 in #2.

Joel

smile

That's funny Shinola right there. laugh
When we began deer farming in 1997 we purchased five bred females. The female red deer is known as a "Hind" ...........We had these five hinds delivered to our farm "site" .

It was then that the name "Hindsite" was born......................... smile

cool

Kentucky Windage is a rural term for holding into the wind so the bullet will hit the target. Is was the name of my magazine column for about ten years in the 1980s and early 90s and I just stuck with it.
Downwind ... should denote the preferred location when game approaches. Unfortunately it's where I'm always standing when one of my buds lets loose. crazy
Posted By: MGH Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
My initials. Boring, I know...
Posted By: GregW Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
Nickname in high school resulting from basketball...

No I'm not black....grin...
capt ed was the name of each of my boats. naturally i had three, all at different times. the third was my last, sold this past may.

-ken
My inlaws are all city-slickers.. I'm a country boy, through and through, so they feel I'm the 'Redneck' of the family...

I'll be a redneck over a slicker any time.. laugh laugh
just a guy named dave from up north.

I had no idea this place was so big. come to find out.... I aint so far north compared to our AK & Canadian posters.

grin

Carry over from another board...F150online, have had 2 F-150 King Ranch pickups-an 2003 and 2007 thus kingthing0307.
Looked in the mirror one morning just after getting up and decided I looked a bit Grizzly. Just tacked it to my first name.
My name is Virgil. Middle inital is B. Mom always called me Virgil B. and I have a 100 yard shooting range on my property. Thus vbshootinrange.
Red is a nickname hung on me by a fellow baseball coach, 44spl is my favorite cartridge
Back in the Republic of Texas days there was a Ft. Boggy on the banks of Boggy creek. A place of refuge in time of indian raids. There was for a time a ranging company Boggy Creek Rangers there who rode when the Keechi, Comanche, or Kickappo were on a tear.

When I was a kid I used to poke around the ruins of that old place and imagine I was one of them.

The skies were high and the world was wide and I knew all of Boggy Creek from its head to where it joined with the Trinity River but mostly the upper part. Just wandering, ranging with a 22 a fish pole and a yellow fice dog.

All gone now, land gobbled up, timber dozed, springs crushed, little streams damed to make ranchette lakes. Boggy is silted, no holes any more. No Tresspassing signs instead of Howdy, come on in.

But still way back in my mind is a kid with a fish pole, a 22 and a yellow fice dog rangeing over the country.

Boggy Creek Ranger.

BCR
Grogel, old nickname. Deluxe comes from a question about a vintage scope.

Someone on the forum asked what made one model a deluxe and someone commented that they just added the name deluxe to the same old scope.

when I saw it was that easy I had to try it.

When I changed to "grogel deluxe" it was going to be a one day joke. Never bothered to change it back.

"get over here!"
Got my first beagle when I was 14. Never been without them, for the past 52 years. Hunt, trialed, showed, and judged them, along with a breif 30 years running the big game hounds. Labs in the house, hounds in the kennel.
Posted By: selmer Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
Mine is the name of my preferred brand of saxophone. I'm a trained sax man with a degree in music ed - saxophone emphasis. Can't beat a Selmer Reference 54!
Posted By: redmtn Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
Red Mtn is also known as Grizzly Bear Mtn by the natives here and for good reason i might add.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Jamie Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
I figured using my name would make it easy to remember when signing in.
Posted By: Big C Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
Just a nickname since 3rd grade. I guess because I was always the biggest guy in class, and my first name is Colin. I think more people know me by Big C than actually know my name, or at least use it than my real name anyway. C-
Posted By: BLG Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
Mine is the initials of both of my boys.

Clyde
Short for a business I own called Wildlife Control Services
Originally Posted by goodnews

goodnews is from the Old English godspel, referring to the Gospel, the New Testament story of man's redemption by Jesus Christ.

It is very good news.

Or,..I could have used needle-driver cool.
Not a diver, but a Jethro Tull fan.

The name of their 1971 album.

[Linked Image]

And that isn't a self-portrait and the song doesn't describe me... laugh

Aqualung
For many years I would meet a group of friends in the Sonora desert east of Phoenix for a week of camping out to hunt javelina and quail on one of the Apache reservations.

Midday was usually reserved for lunch, naps and general shooting fun and games, we had a 100yd range set up.

A couple of the guys were into TC Encores at the time, hunting javelina up to elk with handguns. One guy brought out his .338 JDJ to fire and asked if I would like to take a shot. My only experience with handguns had been with handgun cartridges, I had never shot something like this before...

It's incredible how fast the human mind thinks, I remember hearing the gun go off and having time to think to myself "Man, this is gonna hurt!"

I wasn't holding it properly, the recoil sent the gun back into my face, the hammer took a chunk out of the side of my nose and the rest of my face got some nice cuts, blood everywhere.

After my buddies ascertained I was going to be OK, we had a laugh about it, they started calling me "Recoil" and I've used it for my handle since then.

Wish I had a picture of that....my face was black and blue and scabbed over for about a week, scared the flight attendant on the way home.

Posted By: tlfw Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
Ken Howell knighted me too lucky for words once many moons ago. I know he is right and remind myself everytime I log on. The oldest daughter thinks it is pretty stupid...the youngest thinks it is awesome, as she gets it...
pixarezzo...because I enjoy playing (picking) a resonator guitar.

[Linked Image]

Prefer to use fire, hammer and anvil - farrier and blacksmith.

Used it here as it was my CB handle back in the day.
When I signed up I used Ontario, the province where I live, Jim, my name and then found out it had to be an alpha-numeric handle so added the 1 at the front. Don't consider myself to be no. 1 at anything.
It's an Indian thing
Posted By: JOG Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
"Justice of God"

"Jazzed on Gold"

"Jerk Off Goofy"

A long distance runner?

sigh...just my initials...
Every morning before we leave elk camp my uncle always says we're chasing the Great Wapuuuuti. I know he's pronouncing it wrong, but it's just the way he is. Great guy and the best hunting partner ever, so it's kinda my tribute to him.

I use the handle Buster on several boards, but it was taken when I registered here. Stems from an old joke where I called a buddy who wasn't home, so when his mom asked if she could take a message, I told her, yeah, tell him Buster Hymun called, and she actually did it! I've been stuck with the nickname ever since.
A young indian warrior approached his mother, questioned her on how an indian babe was named. She explained a name was derived from the first thing the mother saw at the birth of that child. Your sister was born at sunrise, hence her name sunshine. Your brother was born at night, properly named shooting star. Why do you ask this question, Two Dogs [bleep]?

grin
I live in Alabama and my middle name is Edward. Don't mean anything in particular. This has been my internet moniker for about 20 years. Most of my friends and co-workers call me Ed. Only my wife and the preacher call me by first name.
Posted By: JOG Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
"Dadda, (drool) how name (snort) brudder and sidder?"

"Well," explained the Dad. "When your brother was born a dewdrop fell on his forehead so I named him "Dewey". When your sister was born a flower petal landed on her forehead so I named her "Rose". Why do you ask, Brick?"
Posted By: burner Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
burner...the job that changed my life forever.
This has been my internet moniker for about 20 years.

Wow!
Originally Posted by Maser

Old huh? I was 4 when that game came out. laugh I was more of a Reptile fan though.

Figured you'd be the one who got that. Yeah, Reptile and Sub Zero were right up there, too. Scorpion was just a bit more bad ass and a lot easier to fight with than the other two. smile
Brother Rockeye was one of the Slattery Brothers...the only western outlaw gang to ever grace the Flintstones.
My older brother's bin calling me Brother Rockeye or Rockeye since I was a kid.
Part because of the Flintstones and part because I used to head shoot gophers in the pasture with my old Slavia pellet gun before we were old enough for .22's
"how far to Stoney Gulch Brother Rockeye?"

hehe grin
Its where I spend as much time as possible. Up on the mountain in the lodgepoles.
I liked to hunt in Zimbabwe.
Posted By: 340boy Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
I used to shoot a 340 Wby a LOT, so my buddy started calling me 340boy.
I guess it stuck...
grin
Posted By: shaman Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
I have a bunch of stories from the old days about being shaman. However, a story I never mentioned here is how I got the moniker.

A long time ago, back in the days of dial-up, I had an online persona called Shaman, the Tiger. Shaman was a 600lb Siberian (Cyberian) tiger who lived in an online chat bar called the Little Further Inn, run by a lady known as "Gypsy." Gypsy had come over from Delphi to help me make this project work. Gypsy ran the front chat room. I ran the adult-only bar behind, The Hole in the Wall. Shaman HAD been human at one point, but he had run afoul of a Siberian shaman who had turned him into a tiger and sold him to a tourist. He had escaped and partially gotten himself changed back, but he would still slip back into his tiger form uncontrollably and wake up in the neighbors bushes with dog on his breath. There was always this sub-plot of Shaman and his struggles over which to be, a man or a tiger.

There was also Jonesy, a Afro-Vietnamese bartender, and Red. Red was exquisite woman who sat back in the shadows. All you could see when you came in was Red's legs and shoes, red nail polish on a hand holding a cigarette, the brim of her hat and my tail curling out from behind her chair.

Gypsy was in real life, a middle-aged blind woman. Red was a female friend I knew from work. She was on the list for a liver transplant. The rest were figments or our imagination. Some where I still have the captures from those days.

I hunt and fish from "Dawn 'til Dusk" so I just came up with the stupid handle of Dawn2Dusk
Posted By: Wook Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
I was commercial fishing and wearing some brown neoprene chest waders and a wool balaclava and my hair was sticking out the back and sides of the balaclava, from then on I was known as Wook (or Wookiee) because I looked like hairy 'ole Chewbacca out fishing.

Wook
Posted By: M1894 Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
1894 was the first user name that worked when I joined my first innernet forum ( a levergun forum ). It was for the first deer size rifle my dad bought me a few decades earlier.
1894 had been taken here at the fire by someone that registered and then never posted mad
A model 1936 was the latest Marlin rifle I owned so I started with that user name here , once I got the ok I changed to m1894.

Had a beagle named Ralph that I raised from a pup and had for 18 1/2 years. Spent many a day hunting with him (and his aunt Mable). Wanted him to live on in cyber space.
Boilerpig? Because I have been rooting around in boilers for damn near 30 years. Very few of us left. There are only three at my shop. That's why the "..." after my sig.

BP...
Mine is just my first name and last name initial. The registration site kept telling me the user name had to be alphanumeric. So since I wanted to post a question about a Savage 99 on the Savage Collectors forum with my first post and since the first rifle I had was a Savage 99, I decided to add 99. I was then able to complete registration.

I'm thinking not.
Reloder powders being my favorite and since they all have numeric designations my birth date is the 28th. Maybe eventually they'll come out with Reloder28.

It seemed quite fitting to me and I figured I would never have to fight for it on any other forum as a screen name.
I'm from Ohio, 7x57 is my favorite caliber.

Hey Boggycreekranger, you ever see that Fouke Monster in Boggy Creek?

Ron
I wear a size 15 shoe
Having the first 5 or 6 names I tried being already taken,I tried one I didnt think would be taken yet.We had just decided to keep the smallest of our litter of pups,and it was one of the possible names.We actually decided to name her Penelope instead.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/23/09
Glad you stayed with Fluffy.
Really?

sounds like mortal combat to me...

cuz my fav was sub zero... he wore blue and that is my favorite color.
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
A young indian warrior approached his mother, questioned her on how an indian babe was named. She explained a name was derived from the first thing the mother saw at the birth of that child. Your sister was born at sunrise, hence her name sunshine. Your brother was born at night, properly named shooting star. Why do you ask this question, Two Dogs [bleep]?

grin

bingo! gold star for you today AJ
Scott is a nickname I have used for years and the F is the first letter of my last name. I an really Robert Clarke Fairing but almost know one knows it. Even the banks will take a check made out to Scott.

Nick name started in '75 and since my wife was married to a Bob I stayed Scott until just recently.

Pretty boring but you did ask. grin
better than some, not the most exciting though grin
Pretty straight-forward . . .

Have enjoyed wine for about as long as I legally could. Pinot Noir is my favorite grape so incorporating it into my internet handle seemed like a no-brainer.
makes sense to me.

i like pinot noir too.
I'm sure you are already aware of this, but the BEST Pinot's in America are coming from Oregon these days.
i thought so, i like troon vineyards river guide red. its unfiltered, and i like it. it is so thick, and it even leaves a film in the glass when its gone. yum yum.
I play the lottery Megabucks when in New Hampshire every few months. But I also enjoy calling in blacktail deer during the rut here in Alaska. !!! up for the Troon.
Posted By: Maser Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/24/09
Originally Posted by Maser

Figured you'd be the one who got that. Yeah, Reptile and Sub Zero were right up there, too. Scorpion was just a bit more bad ass and a lot easier to fight with than the other two. smile

I think it was just Reptile's stage that gave him his badass factor to me. Seeing as he wasn't a playable character in the original game. I remember playing that on Genesis as a kid and it was actually Scorpion who was the first guy I ever seen do a Fatality. I was watching my friend try and do it and he would just hold block and keep pressing up and it wouldn't work for him. I in turn did it and I guess I was the perfect distance away and I thought I froze the game when everything turned dark. Such a cool outcome though.

Hey on a side note did you know that it was because of Mortal Kombat that all games nowadays have the rating system?
Posted By: kciH Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/24/09
Originally Posted by Reloder28

I'm thinking not.

Think what you will. smile
A friend once told me ' well, you are just a child of the sky" referring to my profession, helicopter pilot, and the fact I was seldom in the same place for long as I spent most of my time flying from one job then to the next. The handle just stuck...

I grew up on ranches and all the kids called me Cowpuncher, even had it in the year book. Just out of school I started shooting Cowboy Action and did for the next 12 years but someone already had Cowpuncher so my Uncle suggested Bushwacker since I liked to snipe things from long range. Later on when I got into Law Enforcement the handle worked there too, so Bushwacker it is. Ryan
In 17th century Japan there was a very talented doctor. He got tired of his job and decided to become a historian. He studied the manufacturing techniques of the old masters and wrote a treatise.
He decided that he would test his findings. His blades were magnificent and were most highly valued by the Daimyo who he worked for as a doctor.
He was forced to continue to forge blades but he made it a point that he would take a crap every time his boss marched through town on the daily daimyo inspections.
Kaboku means flowering Tree. The swordsmith's first name was Omura so his translated name would be Sandstone Flowering Tree.
I like his style and his respect for authority. I am not an anarchist but......I am not a sheeple either.
sincerely,

Thomas
Not much for originality, huh?
First used it on a gun auction site because I like to "shootem". But in the back of my mind were my concepts of how to handle
1)muggers & rapists (shootem)
2)home invaders(shootem)
3)cyber vandals, virus intro's etc. (shootem)
4)child pornographers (shootem)
5)murderers (shootem)
6)liberal politicians (just kidding)
Now, with the closing of GITMO I can also apply my user name to those terrorists captured on the field of battle by our honorable men & women in uniform. Do a field intel interview and when said terrorists then try to escape.......shootem.
ADK = Adirondack mountains in NY
Stalker = our preferred method of hunting

I spent my first 40 years in NY, many of those hunting in the mountains, however I do not reside in upstate NY anymore. But I still get back for a week at deer camp and a long weekend hunting snowshoe hares
Posted By: shreck Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/24/09
Skating Away On The Thin Ice Of A New Day brings a smile every time I hear it.
Posted By: Nebo Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/24/09
" Nebo ", or Mt. Nebo is the name of the Mountain in my backyard.
I'm fond of Blacktail hunting and think that the .308 Win. is the greatest rifle cartridge in the universe. (I'm not a complicated guy).
P.S. 260 was a contender but holds second place in the rifle category. I also happen to like 28 ga. shotguns and 3 weight flyrods, springer spaniels, trout and bird knives.....you get the idea.
Mike
I like to hunt and tell stories.
I also fish for Striped bass and one of my old standby lures is a bucktale. Kind of a play on the spelling
Bucktales is also the name of my boat.
wow, there have been a lot of responses to this, i didnt expect so many. cool to hear though.
Great responses Ironeagle_84. I didn�t expect this thread to go this long.

Joel
The Big part of my handle refers to being 6'6" and 350lbs, the PappaX3 part is in honor of my three kids !
The first few names I tried were taken. Kinda wanted ol' 270 after my 1st centerfire rifle, but it was taken. For some reason I got it in my head that ole would work after some of the old english print I had see. Been Ole_270 ever since. Of course with a Swedish/Norwegian Granddad Ole would work that way too.
Posted By: Pygmy Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/25/09
Shrimp, Shorty, and Runt were already taken...

JUST KIDDING..

Actually the nickname was given to me by "Fungus Face", a hunting buddy of mine, due to the fact that I am "vertically challenged" ( 5'6")...

More accurately, he called me " The Stinkin' Pygmy" because of my ability to clear out a tent after a week of eating moose and caribou meat...

When I started posting on the 'net, I took the handle Pygmy because it was descriptive and distinctive..
Mine is merely my intials:

R. B. McM., Jr.

Boring, but I use it everywhere.
I own several tree farms in Virginia, hence TreeFarmer.

Since I'm married to Barak, I'm his woman. Spelling "woman" without the "a" is kind of a private joke between Barak and me.

Penny
Posted By: Cheesy Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/25/09
I make cheese. Seriously.
My father owned one.

Originally Posted by shreck

You're a rabbit on the run?
A result of being the safety trainer at a sour gas processing plant. Mistakes in safety were not tolerated and the "troops" soon found out.
Actually I'm a nice guy...just ask me.
Originally Posted by Cheesy
I make cheese. Seriously.

I cut the cheese. Seriously.
smile
Mine is my usual handle with the additon of the word "The". When I first came here a few years ago someone already used "BigSky". I initially signed on with Dakotan after trying handles that I use. I recently discovered I could do a variation and got mine changed. Now, it just shows I joined in December when actually it's been about three years since I joined.
Now, it just shows I joined in December when actually it's been about three years since I joined.

If you had 756 posts in the last month, we'd have to call you Les! smile
Originally Posted by shreck

One of my favorite songs too...and albums.

It's off the album that would have been my second choice for a screen name: Warchild.

Aqualung
Now, it just shows I joined in December when actually it's been about three years since I joined.

If you had 756 posts in the last month, we'd have to call you Les! smile

Laughing vigorously. grin I actually thought of that last week. Looking at my post count and my supposed join date, it looks as though I don't even have a job.
Posted By: Ivan Re: what does your handle mean? - 01/27/09
It's just my name. Ivan is Russian for John.
The best match bullet that I have ever shot in the .308 caliber

155 grain Hornady AMAX
Mainframe = I work with IBM System Z mainframe computers, also fondly known as Big Iron.
A quote from Shakespeare (or a 80's Goth Band)
TBS - And after thinking about it, Les likely has 756 posts per week!
© 24hourcampfire