Home
Posted By: ehunter Well I have been laid off - 01/28/09
Wow it was kind of shock been with this company for 14 years and I have been employed for 37 years it is my first lay off ever I am in shock we will be ok for a while but damn I hope this doesn't mess with my hunting seasons. I am lucky my kids are on their own. Hope the rest of you are doing well. I also now hope Obama takes care of me grin maybe I can put my feet up and relax for awhile. Seriously this is getting ugly out there.
I am sorry to hear that! Prayers that you will find another job soon...

Penny
Sorry to hear that. What kind of work did you do?
Posted By: amax155 Re: Well I have been laid off - 01/28/09
It was a shock to me also. I wish you good luck in finding something else.
Sorry to hear that. frown Things are just starting, it appears. It might be real grim by summer.

I hope you get to kick back for a bit, then hit the ground running. wink
Posted By: ehunter Re: Well I have been laid off - 01/28/09
I was in purchasing in a high tech company that is probably going over seas.
Feeling for ya brother. I had it happen to me once. Ain�t nothing good about it.
I hope you find something as soon as you are ready to.
Posted By: KLM300 Re: Well I have been laid off - 01/28/09
ehunter, I know how you feel. I was laid off last DEC 1st after 19 Years with the same company. Good luck Karry
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Well I have been laid off - 01/28/09
Ehunter

Sorry to hear that brother. I'm not officaly laid off, but might as well be, I've only tallied 15 hours in two weeks. Time for me to join you on the job trail. After 22 years, I'm a little rusty at job searching.

Last time I looked for work you actually filled out a paper application.

Good luck to you.
Posted By: rrroae Re: Well I have been laid off - 01/28/09
Originally Posted by ehunter

That schitt just pizzes me off. I'd like to see the govt tax the hell out of any US company that takes jobs from Americans so they can pay an Asian $0.35 an hour.

Real sorry to hear about that man and I hope you find something shortly.
Originally Posted by rrroae

That schitt just pizzes me off. I'd like to see the govt tax the hell out of any US company that takes jobs from Americans so they can pay an Asian $0.35 an hour.

The government shouldn�t �tax the hell� out of any business. That�s what causes these kind of problems in the first place.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Well I have been laid off - 01/28/09
Originally Posted by billhilly

The government shouldn�t �tax the hell� out of any business. That�s what causes these kind of problems in the first place.

Well that, and then there's greed.
Posted By: mtnman1 Re: Well I have been laid off - 01/28/09
Hate to hear that. Went thru it myself about 2 years back. Enjoy the break and beat the trail. Life has a way of workin' out.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Well I have been laid off - 01/28/09
Sorry to hear the news ehunter.

I have no doubt that our state government will continue to drive away more companies with it's tax everything, and tax the suvivors twice approach.
Posted By: rrroae Re: Well I have been laid off - 01/28/09

I agree we shouldn't tax US companies so they can be competitive globally but I still say tax the hell out of companies who move off shores.
Posted By: johnw Re: Well I have been laid off - 01/28/09
in this day and age, 14 years on one job indicates a willingness and ability to perform beyond what many possess...

i wish the best for you and yours... may blessings come to you, and all in your shoes, as they have to me...

remember that there is an able and concerned God in heaven...
He does hear sincere prayer, offered up through Jesus, our advocate before Him...
His children here can offer support and help... it's the way things are supposed to be, i think.....
Posted By: amx1047 Re: Well I have been laid off - 01/28/09
Feeling for ya. ... Ain�t nothing good about it.
Ditto. Wish I had some words of wisdom - or at least something encouraging to say. Maybe it's a little comforting to know that somehow, somewhere, all this fits into a bigger plan - spiritually speaking, that is.

Times are getting scary.
Posted By: Hindsite Re: Well I have been laid off - 01/28/09
The tip of the iceberg we have not seen and unfortunately it is not even within sight yet. My wife who has worked in textiles for over 20 years is fearing the same fate. As a management level employee and one of the highest paid in her plant she is very nervous.........Yesterday they were told that the company needed to cut 30% of it's existing work force, this is after cutting out one complete shift just three weeks a ago. I hate to say it but I don't see them making it until summer.

We are entering unchartered waters and I don't believe anyone has a fix for it.

I know many may disagree............but.........the second depression is within sight!
Personally, I think it's gonna be worse than a depression.
Originally Posted by amx1047

Worse than a recession......yes........Worse than the "Great Depression", I sure as hell hope not!

There are still those here at the fire that feel secure at what they do, but the trickle down effect is likely to hit everyone before it's over!
Posted By: T LEE Re: Well I have been laid off - 01/28/09

I agree we shouldn't tax US companies so they can be competitive globally but I still say tax the hell out of companies who move off shores.

That is a fact, keep em here.
Laid off? Been there, done that. Never fun or pleasant.

I think prayer is in order. Best of luck with all this.
Originally Posted by Hindsite
...Worse than the "Great Depression", I sure as hell hope not! ...
I guess I have a doomsday outlook on things. I think in 20yrs we will have become like Afghanistan with regards to our infrastructure. I think there'll be days when we will only have 4 or 5 hours electricity - or none at all. I think we'll have limited telephone service. Etc.

And I think a full out depression is imminent. How could it not be?
Posted By: pick Re: Well I have been laid off - 01/28/09

US can not tax a company that is outside the US. I understand your emotion, but not possible. It is one of the main reason they move ... TAXES ...

Who gets hurt in this 'p**sing' contest between government and companies? The workers on the bottom.

Sorry to hear about the lay off. Hopping you find a better job.
Posted By: tbear Re: Well I have been laid off - 01/28/09
I feel for you & anyone that is with out work or facing lay offs.
Older job seekers are going to have a very hard time finding any type of job. The more diversified your job skills the better are your chances of employment. Since you worked in purchasing you may know computer skills, bookkeeping, or even production if you coordinated with the manufacturing side of the business. My wife & I own a employment agency in the Washington, DC area. She runs the business, but I do a lot of the marketing & still work part time in my engineering business. As with many small businesses we are struggling & face financial disaster if the economy doesn't turn around. I believe we will begin to see a very gradual improvement by April if some sort of stimulus package is passed. I hope its not another massive give away but, a tax reduction for individuals & small businesses. If there is no panic & the administration reacts in a sensible manner we will come through this recession as we have others. I have great confidence in the ability of Americans to cope & thrive if given the chance.
Posted By: Barak Re: Well I have been laid off - 01/28/09
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Laid off? Been there, done that. Never fun or pleasant.

I think prayer is in order. Best of luck with all this.

Absolutely. I'm in perfect agreement.

Dono if you're a man of faith there, ehunter, but Mannlicher's suggestion is what's always worked for me. (I'm a software developer, so I get laid off twice every day before breakfast. Not really, but folks like me are constantly switching jobs as projects begin and finish.)
Posted By: Redneck Re: Well I have been laid off - 01/28/09
Feeling for ya brother. I had it happen to me once. Ain’t nothing good about it.
Happened to me twice. No fun at all. It's why I'm not working for anybody but ME now..

Very best of luck in finding a new and better job..
May your salary double.

Best of luck, sorry to hear it.

Worse than a recession......yes........Worse than the "Great Depression", I sure as hell hope not!

It all depends on how long and hard the State tries to fix it.

Given the differences between today and the 1930s (the flatly unbelievable national debt, for example, and the fact that the Fed can now freely inflate beyond the dreams of avarice and utterly destroy the dollar) the possibility certainly exists that this one could be much worse than the Great Depression, if the State keeps doing exactly all the things that brought on the Great Depression.

If it were to back off right now, though, and let all the troubled banks and corporations go bankrupt and have their assets bought up and their employees rehired by healthier competitors, we could begin the recovery in a month or two.

The most urgent thing we should do, right this minute, is to instantly abolish the Federal Reserve: lay off Ben Bernanke by 8:00am today.

The most important thing we should do, although it'd take a little longer, is repeal all legal tender laws, and perhaps amend the Constitution to prevent more from being passed.
Being laid off in tough economic times can be very unsettling.
Have had this happen to me twice during the 80's oil bust.
At times i dont know how i eeked by but i did and probably because i worked two jobs that didn't even pay what the job i got laid off from paid.
Right now with oil prices falling there are rumours of this possibly coming.
Who knows.
For all i know it could be top managements way of trying to get people running scared of their job.
I can see it already with a few of the in deep debt young ones and some older ones who have gotten themselves in more debt than they should have at their present age.
All of us in one way or another will be affected by this wreck of an economy this nation has fallen into.
To those laid off i wish you the very best because i know all to well how you feel.
Good luck.
Posted By: CEJ1895 Re: Well I have been laid off - 01/28/09
let_me_in - +1 Been there twice.. Relax, re-charge, find a good head hunter and give it your best shot! Good luck ehunter!
Posted By: djs Re: Well I have been laid off - 01/28/09
I�ve been laid off many times (actually 8 times) due to company restructurings, bankruptcy, and reorganizations. It is no fun and I sympathize with anyone who finds themselves in the position, especially in the current econommic climate.

During the late '80's recession, it took me 2 years to find a position comparable to what I had lost (I filled in with short-term jobs with small companies, some of which I expected to fail and, consulting - anything to keep some cash coming in). Looking for a new job in a recession is tough work and you need to keep at it. Call everyone you know to keep in touch and learn of any planned hiring�s. Volunteer in your community to help others (and, keep the network open and be seen!).

Just keep you spirits up (yes, it's tough, but important) and keep turning over any rock you think might have something under it. Take anything that offers a paycheck to keep money coming in. Best wishes

Amen brother.
...I guess I have a doomsday outlook on things....
Personally I don't necessarily think of it as 'doomsday' per sey, but rather as something I'd better be prepared for emotionally and physically. Just wanted to clarify that.
I'm not one to generally call for new "laws" but were I in charge companies that leave America for cheap labor would sell their products anywhere they want EXCEPT America. Some way or another they'd be barred.

And NAFTA and other such would disappear immediately.

It amazes me we support, bailout and rebuild everything and anything on the planet excetp ourselves. US government needs overthrown and that's all there is to it. They're doing this deliberately.
Posted By: okie Re: Well I have been laid off - 01/28/09
Plant taters and pray...not necessarily in that order...a job will come along...
Sorry to hear it but many more will soon be following. I am afraid we are in for several very tough years. Elections do have consequences. TM
Posted By: magnumb Re: Well I have been laid off - 01/28/09
Very sorry to hear that ehunter. That is so very unfortunate and when you're on the receiving end of such an event (especially when having never been there before), it must be like a bad dream.

You will survive this and move on......it is what you must do. I'm glad to hear that you'll be GTG for awhile 'cuz that's the time you'll need to get yourself busy and motivated.

Best of luck and let us know how things are goin'............really.
Posted By: tzone Re: Well I have been laid off - 01/28/09
ehunter,

Hang in there. I had the same thing happen to me this past year. Take a week, or how ever long it takes you, to gather yourself. It will take some time to figure things out.

I talked to everybody I could think of, colleges, job services, old co-workers anybody I could think of to find work. Really though, I did better on my own.

It took all summer, but I found work...good work. I am better off all around than I was before. I make more money, work fewer hours, and get to spend more time with my kids. It couldn't have worked out any bettter.

Keep you head about yourself, and you nose to the want ads, and you'll do fine.

Good luck.

Tom
Originally Posted by Archerhunter
I'm not one to generally call for new "laws" but were I in charge companies that leave America for cheap labor would sell their products anywhere they want EXCEPT America. Some way or another they'd be barred.

Companies who leave America for cheap labor overseas should not be blamed for following the market: instead, the State should be blamed for distorting the market to such a degree that such companies are chased away.

Advocates of liberty should never be caught calling for increased taxes, on anybody, for any reason.

And NAFTA and other such would disappear immediately.

Sure. It's anything but real free trade.

It amazes me we support, bailout and rebuild everything and anything on the planet excetp ourselves.

How would "we" (I assume you mean the State) go about bailing out "ourselves" (I assume you mean the people)? Have the State extort more money than usual from us and then give the additional amount right back to us? Doesn't make sense. The only sensible way for the State to "bail us out" would be for it to extort less (or no!) money from us in the first place. (Note that this is not at all what Obama's "tax cuts" are about.)

US government needs overthrown and that's all there is to it. They're doing this deliberately.

You'll have to count me out on that. Anybody who overthrows the US government will be much too powerful for my taste, and will probably replace it with something just as appalling and most likely more so.

I think the US government needs to be rendered irrelevant, preferably by stages.
Sorry to hear of your predicament. Wishing you the best. I'll put in a good word for you with the man upstairs.
The tip of the iceberg we have not seen and unfortunately it is not even within sight yet. My wife who has worked in textiles for over 20 years is fearing the same fate. As a management level employee and one of the highest paid in her plant she is very nervous.........Yesterday they were told that the company needed to cut 30% of it's existing work force, this is after cutting out one complete shift just three weeks a ago. I hate to say it but I don't see them making it until summer.

I know many may disagree............but.........the second depression is within sight!

I'm afraid your'e right, but remember, many prospered during the great depression. In a time when people can't afford "extras", only basic, cost efficient and absolutely necessary jobs survive.
Posted By: JPro Re: Well I have been laid off - 01/28/09
I'm a commercial real estate appraiser, and while I haven't seen a lot of work from businesses going dark, it looks like it may be coming....
Posted By: Blueboat Re: Well I have been laid off - 01/28/09
They told us (Honeywell) we have one week to three years until we lose our jobs to Mexico. They also told us that you will train the Mexicans and be nice about it or you won�t like your job when you get back from Mexico.
I will be praying for you.....

buy silver and gold my friend......

skywalker
Posted By: ehunter Re: Well I have been laid off - 01/28/09
Thanks every one today is my first offical day of not working and the sun still came up. We will be alright for awhile and I am going to use this time think about what I want to do for the next 15 years. I may go back to school or look at busines options. I am lucky my kids are on their own so we only have to look for the 2 of us and the dogs. My girl friend seems to have a good stable job for now so we will see.
Posted By: NYH1 Re: Well I have been laid off - 01/28/09
I've been with the same company for 11 years. Lately I work a week...get laid off a week...work a week...get laid off a week. It's not a bad as being laid off for longer periods of time...that may be coming though.
ehunter,

Prayers and best wishes. As said above, this too will pass.

Chuck
Originally Posted by ltppowell

I'm afraid you're right, but remember, many prospered during the great depression. In a time when people can't afford "extras", only basic, cost efficient and absolutely necessary jobs survive.

That hits close to home in that I sell hunts which are not a necessity.....My wife may not be the only one with employment issues in the near future!
© 24hourcampfire