Home
I'm undecided. I've sampled the Woodford and Makers recently biut what say the 'fire?
Sample some more.
Jack Daniel's Whiskey is one of the finest things on Earth(imho).

ironbender, workin' on it.

Sam Olsen ,amen, but try Woodford Reserve.
Of course you're drinking them straight with no ice, right?
Wild Turkey.... the 101 kickin chicken, but Jim Beam is always welcome at the fire too.
mathman, sorry got the ice goin' on.
Booker's.
Oh well.
VA, respect your opinion on many things, try Woodford. Don't know Booker's. Writing that down on my napkin.
I used to have a buddy in town that loved Woodford's (and good vodka). We shared a few fifths and I still like Jack better...(grin)

Maker's, Buffalo Trace, any Beam, Gentleman Jack, some random expensive strong stuff....

Black Label JD all the way!

I generally prefer Makers Mark, it IS smooth.

Secondly, I like Jack Daniels; smooth and less expensive than Makers.

Lastly, Woodford Reserve is the highest priced, but is too sharp for my taste.

I drink boubon neat (up with no ice), and the sharper taste of Woodford just burns my throat.

Like the lady said, "you pays your money and you takes your choice!"
Actually, this thread reminds me of a Chet Atkins concert I attended 20+ years ago. Atkins entertained the audience wonderfully and at one point referred to his (invisable) friends Jack Daniels, I. W. Harper and Henry McKenna.
Has anyone tried the new Red Stag by JB?
Sam,

I got to admit, Jack has my vote too. Bein' color deficient they are all good. Someone once told me to try Geo. Dickel, cheaper than Jack but as good. Did that, not even close, not bad, but not there either.

I know that Jack isn't bourbon, but I chose to think of it as such. Liquor snobbery isn't a hill I want to die on.
All I know is that it's good!
Originally Posted by steve99
VA, respect your opinion on many things, try Woodford. Don't know Booker's. Writing that down on my napkin.

Tried Woodford. Good stuff. Very good.

Booker's is 126ish proof, has the flavor of Maker's without the slightly overly too sweet Maker's taste, is smoother than Jack (nearly so as Woodford), and blends NICELY into the evening with a mildly spicy cigar (Arturo Fuente Flor Fina 8-5-8).
Makers Mark gets my vote. I only have two bottles in stock at this point:

Makers Mark and Bombay Sapphire

George
Booker Noe's Single Barrel Bourbon, 126.7 proof. Now THAT is sipping whiskey laugh
Yep.

This stuff:
http://www.internetwines.com/mb311504.html
"Booker's.....The Whiskey in this package is the highest grade
bourbon made by me here at Jim Beam, it is uncut and bottled
straight from the barrel. My grandfather, Jim Beam liked his whiskey
from six to eight years old." Booker Noe

In 1988, Booker Noe introduced his own signature bourbon,
Booker's True Barrel Bourbon. Inspired by a 200 year-old tradition,
Master Distiller Emeritus Booker Noe, grandson of Jim Beam, created
his very own bourbon. Unlike anything you have ever tasted, Booker's
is the only bourbon bottled straight-from-the-barrel -- uncut and
unfiltered -- a true connoisseur's sipping bourbon.

First created as a holiday gift for his special friends, Booker's whiskey was so
well-received that he decided to make it available to bourbon lovers worldwide; much
to the joy of spirit connoisseurs everywhere. Booker's Bourbon delivers a range of
intense flavors from oak-tannin and smoky vanilla to lighter tones of mocha and
coffee. Add spring water to customize the taste and finish to your palate. The
complexity provided by this straight-from-the-barrel bourbon makes Booker's the
rarest, absolute best bourbon you can buy.

Booker's Bourbon is the only uncut, unfiltered, straight-from-the-barrel,
connoisseur's sipping bourbon available today. It's bottled at its natural proof of
between 121 and 127, and aged between six and eight years. Booker Noe, Jim
Beam's grandson and master distiller emeritus, hand selects each barrel that will
become Booker's Bourbon. Each barrel that will become Booker's bourbon is aged
in the very center of the rackhouse where the temperature and humidity combines
in the perfect proportion for the finest bourbon. This is truly the absolute best
bourbon available.

Booker Noe

Booker Noe, sixth-generation Beam and grandson of Jim Beam, joined the family
business after graduating from the University of Kentucky in 1950. Booker proved to
be a quick study, and in 1960, became the master distiller of Jim Beam Brands Co.

This world-class distiller became a true American legend in 1988 when he
introduced his special bourbon, appropriately named Booker's. This landmark
bourbon was the first to carry the Small Batch designation. As Booker says,
Booker's Bourbon is the way bourbon used to be, the way it was meant to be.

Frederick Booker Noe III

A seventh generation Beam, Fred Noe is writing his own chapter in the Beam
family history book, as he takes on a new role as The Small Batch Bourbon
Collection ambassador for the first family of bourbon. The son of legendary master
distiller emeritus Booker Noe, and great-grandson of Jim Beam, Fred has learned
from the best and is well suited for the position.

For the past 15 years, Fred has worked at the Jim Beam Distillery, overseeing
production of the Small Batch Bourbons. Over the years, he�s studied the craft
closely, working at his father�s side.

�I�ve learned the business pretty much top to bottom,� he says. �From working at the
plant and listening to my father, I know what it takes to make a good bourbon -- it�s
part science, part art and all pride. Every bottle we produce is reflection of my
family, so I know it has to be perfect.�

Proof: 121 to 127

Color: Deep, rich, smoky amber

Aroma: Big oak, vanilla, smoky charcoal

Taste: Intense, fruit, tannin, tobacco

Finish: Clean, long, intense

Award: Gold Medal Bourbon - Wine Enthusiast

Comments: "A tasting of Small Batch Bourbons left me in awe of Booker's."
- The Chicago Tribune
Originally Posted by NH K9
Makers Mark gets my vote. I only have two bottles in stock at this point:

Makers Mark and Bombay Sapphire

George

Those WERE my gold standards.

Amigo, trust me. Try Booker's. And, Hendrick's gin.

You'll hate me later................. grin wink
Jack please... single barrel version wink
I'll try the Booker's this weekend but I'm NOT giving up my Sapphire!

George
A shot of something like that is a little much.
I'll try the Booker's this weekend but I'm NOT giving up my Sapphire!

George

That's what I said. Try Hendrick's......................
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Wuss.................
Of course, the evil one lit this fire for me, and I so enjoy this stuff: http://www.internetwines.com/rws37128.html

A SHOT!

Oh yeah, that's one of those wee little glasses. Where whiskey is concerned I expected better from you (and a bigger glass) smile .

George
VA, I point out to the wife the diversity of opinion regarding fine liquor on the 'fire and she says that all that is missin' is a tobacco reference. I point out that we have that too. Thank you for that from a recently reformed smoker.
Wild Turkey, Kmob Creek and Gentleman Jack top my list. Regular Jack will do in a pinch.

Years ago my hunting buddy brough back a whiskey from Japan called Silkey. It was fine stuff.
Actually, Evan Williams Bl;ack is not too bad; it costs about a half of what Jack Damiels Black costs. It is not as smooth, but after 2 or 3 drinks, it tastes pretty good.
[Linked Image]

Freddy likes it straight outta the bottle.

Pints are nice and flat....(grin)
Out of the three I like Jack Daniels.
Or Crown smile
That's what I'm sayin'.

You don't need a shot glass if you've got a bottle.

I'm going to walk away from the gettin' the horse drunk comments that are runnin' through my head.

George

I'm going to walk away from the gettin' the horse drunk comments that are runnin' through my head.

George

No you ain't............... you can't............. and you know it.
I buy Maker's if I have a few bucks. Old Forester when on the cheap. I really don't drink a lot of whisky, maybe 6-8 fifths a year. It just ain't the hot setup for Louisiana summers.
The poor horse doesn't know any better.
I sip a little whiskey, scotch or bourbon frequently. I always find myself using Makers as the standard to measure by. Based on the input from others, I'll have to try the Bookers.

For anyone who's into scotch, I've been sampling Three Wood Auchentoshan lowland scotch that I bought the other week and it's been very enjoyable. Interesting blend of flavors that make it complex, yet mellow.
I prefer Woodford, then Gentleman Jack, then Makers Mark. But all 3 are excellent. I have not developed a fine enough taste for the Single Barrel Jack. Gentleman Jack is charcoal filtered twice. Maybe I enjoy the smoothness?

Woodford Reserve. Although, I am currently intrigued by Burnheim Original wheat whiskey.

I own a liquor store and could take any of it home.

And have.
Originally Posted by McCray
Woodford Reserve. Although, I am currently intrigued by Burnheim Original wheat whiskey.

I own a liquor store and could take any of it home.

And have.

You wouldn't happen to have a daughter, would you?

Or, be in need of adopting (another) son?
Woodford Reserve, Makers Mark, in that order. I'll skip the Jack, though I can be forced into Gentleman Jack.
If I REALLY get my choice, it would Be Blantons, Buffalo Trace, and Knob Creek, in that order.
We Love the Vitamin B12 ( 12 yr.old Bourbon) laugh
Ingwe

I'll pass on the Jack also.

I start getting nervous if I have less than a half dozen different kinds of bourbon on hand.
I'll take the Kickin' Chicken over most stuff out there. Never been much of a fan of Jack or Jim. I have some Knob Creek, which is alright stuff, a little bit too smokey for me. The Jack single barrel ain't too bad. However, I just keep going back to Wild Turkey.
Yep, can't complain about Wild Turkey either...till the morning after! blush
Ingwe
Ill tell ya friends I sure do enjoy some jack green label on ice, but if your wantin to do a little sippin you aint lived until you have sipped Basil Haydens. Ill also try the woodford
Makers is good, very good IMO, but I do like to 'rassel with Jack on occasion...
I've always been a fan of Jim Beam...we go way back to high school, he and I. We have a lot of history.

I'll have to try Woodford Reserve.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Yep, can't complain about Wild Turkey either...till the morning after! blush
Ingwe

Ain't that the truth!
Jack Daniel's Whiskey is one of the finest things on Earth(imho).

Evan Williams is smoother - less 'bite'...
I see some people have been paying attention.

From February of 08:

Originally Posted by Bristoe

I'm not much of a bourbon drinker,.. but I live right in the middle of bourbon making country.

Folks around here who know, claim that Booker's is a special treat. It's only made in small batches and hits ya in the wallet pretty good,... but you bourbon drinkers might want to give it a try on some special occasion.

I recently sent one of my buddies off with a couple of fifths to take with him to Afghanistan. He's a Captain in the Canadian Army and all they know is that blended stuff. He says it was a big hit with him and his boys over there.

http://www.internetwines.com/mb311504.html

Booker Noe, sixth-generation Beam and grandson of Jim Beam, joined the family
business after graduating from the University of Kentucky in 1950. Booker proved to
be a quick study, and in 1960, became the master distiller of Jim Beam Brands Co.

This world-class distiller became a true American legend in 1988 when he introduced his special bourbon, appropriately named Booker's. This landmark bourbon was the first to carry the Small Batch designation. As Booker says,Booker's Bourbon is the way bourbon used to be, the way it was meant to be.

[Linked Image]

Getting your horse ready to run in tomorrow's Kentucky Derby?
3 pages, and only 2 mentions of Knob Creek?

Oh well, I likes what I likes.

Oh-so-smooth, with seductive vanilla notes... 'twas the one I kept coming back to, back when I drank.

FC
When my son got back from his last Afghanistan deployment some patriotic guy he met at his mother's house ran home and got him a bottle of whisky (bourbon) as a thank you/welcome home gift. My boy was good enough to run right over to Dad's house with it. It was nothing I'd heard of before (and I'm pretty much in touch with the world of whisky) but man, was it good. Smoother than water to drink and a nice flavor. I didn't think to write down the name of it until it was late, and by then it was too late. I would know it if I heard it, but I haven't seen it on this thread yet.
Originally Posted by beerrunner
Wild Turkey.... the 101 kickin chicken, but Jim Beam is always welcome at the fire too.

Jim Beam ?!?? Blasphemer
Makers Mark, or rebel yell if you're poor, or what was the other (same brew) Old Wellers or something like that?
Woodford's fer the paydays, and Old Forester for the times between.
Originally Posted by djs
[Linked Image]

Getting your horse ready to run in tomorrow's Kentucky Derby?

Mister,
I'll have you to know that we don't allow our horses to drink Tennessee whisky and then run in our Derby. For the love of criminy...

Anyway, from an alcoholic's point of view, Woodford Reserve is my poison. It had such a nice hint of pepper that always made me smile. Unfortunately, three drinks later, I was starting to get hateful, you understand.

I have tried Blanton's, it was ok.

Knob Creek tasted like someone rinsed my charcoal grill with bourbon and then poured the leavin's back into a bottle.

If I was slumming, I could drink Maker's but it hurt my stomach something awful. A tad sweet to boot.

Forgive the romancing, but Woodford never hurt my head, or my stomach, I didn't have nightmares and slept fine.

Jim Beam is for cleaning car parts.

Dickel made me have nightmares so bad my wife had to tackle my big a$$ in the middle of the night to keep me from going out the front door. (I woke up in a vascular neck restraint).

I could drink Jack Daniel's if I was hurting for a drink, but never went looking for it.
Personally, I'm of the opinion that takin' fresh corn liquor and puttin' it in a burnt oak barrel 'till it spoils is a dumbazz idea.
No thread on likka is complete until Bristoe weighs in. We're done!
smile
If you can find it, try some George Dickle, the "other" Tennessee whisky.
Have been a long time fan of Makers Mark. And will have to give Woodford Reserve a try.
Sam, your photo reminded me of this old horse I had who really liked Bud Light. When that top popped he was all ears. That pony could all most hold the can himself. He was a good old horse and I miss him still.
Dickle white label or Knob Creek
Another vote for Knob Creek, one of the few bourbon's I sip straight up. Gentleman Jack is good too. When I do a float hunt I like to take a plastic bottle of Beam along for sipping at the end of the day, helps me sleep at night too.
I like to pour a duplex load. Bottom of the glass is Old Crow and ice, top 1/4 inch is Wild Turkey, small splash of water and you're good to go.
Maker's Mark
Bookers, Bakers, and Knob Creek are my favorites when the cash is good, Jim Beam and/or Makers Mark will do any other time.
I love bourbon, but have not tried Woodford Reserve. So I just went out and bought a 1.75L bottle for $51.99. It was on sale with a reduction of about $7.00. I'd be real surprised if I did not like it.

Thanks for the tip.

Steve
Makers Mark, and Knob Creek!!!
I am astounded that in seven pages there is only one mention of Basil Hayden's! (another member of the Beam family)
Once you've tried it, well, you'll see.
As for reccession bourbon, Ezra Brook's is awfully hard to beat at +/_ $11.00.
There's a good reason I chose "sourmash" for a handle...
Originally Posted by Tuco
If you can find it, try some George Dickle, the "other" Tennessee whisky.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Keep buying the Dickel & Daniels. The employee's/citizens in Moore & Coffee counties appreciate it.

BTW two Repub. state Rep's from Rutherford Co. TN. want to pass a bill that would allow for micro distilleries to be built in the state.
I never could get the hang of bourbon,I prefer scotch or irish whiskey.
as a bartender for 20 years I found that JD usually led to a fist fight or groping,a call to the police anyway.
it was usually over consumed by a young man or men.

we served Makers Mark also and that tended to be consumed by Gentlemen over 30 and at a moderate pace.

if they ordered JD we sent security to stand near the table

if they ordered MM we sent the prettiest waitress over to the table.
Any votes for Old Granddad bottled in Bond.
Never had MAkers MArk, but I like Crown Royal. Was given a bottle of Bookers by a friend. Have not tried it yet. Might save it for the fall antelope hunt to share.
Maker's Mark
Jim Beam does it for me.
I'm happy to have started this thread, now I have a couple more bourbons to select. Life is good.
Woodford and MM are head and shoulders above JD, especially since the price of JD had been climbing. If I am going to do Tennesse, then George Dickel is the way to go.

Like other have said, Knob Creek, Blanton's, Bookers, and Basil Hayden are all worth a try.

Here is my favorite that no one has mentioned:
www.oldripvanwinkle.com
The 10 year old is nothing special. The 15 year old is very good! Never tried the older stuff, too pricey for me, but I hear it is great stuff. Someday I will give it a try.
Woodford Reserve then Makers Mark.

Good whiskey comes from two places Kentucky and Ireland.
I'm partial to Basil Hayden (from the Jim Beam distillery)
http://jimbeam.com/ourbourbon.aspx and Evan Williams single barrel is a wondrous treat.
http://www.evanwilliams.com/about_brands_article.shtml?article=MjM5OXN1cGVyMjM5NnNlY3JldDI0MDM=
Originally Posted by shootinurse
I'm partial to Basil Hayden (from the Jim Beam distillery)
http://jimbeam.com/ourbourbon.aspx and Evan Williams single barrel is a wondrous treat.
http://www.evanwilliams.com/about_brands_article.shtml?article=MjM5OXN1cGVyMjM5NnNlY3JldDI0MDM=

I dislike you....now I have to go spend more money and try this. grin
Good whiskey comes from two places Kentucky and Ireland.

Yep, and great whisky comes from Scotland. grin
I do enjoy some from Scotland every now and then.
Actually I really enjoy Bourbon and Irish whiskey too. A rich pot still Irish like Redbreast is a fabulous digestif.
© 24hourcampfire