Home
Just bought a system with 64 bit vista home premium. Tried combofix but it says it's not compatible with 64 bit systems. What would you recommend?
I use Avast on all my systems, both 32 and 64 bit.

http://www.avast.com/eng/x64.html

Was in a hotel using their network a few weeks ago and Avast started going berserk. Caught 'em all as far as I know.

Avast is free if used on a home machine.

Les is roughing it at Jellystone Park this week. Not sure what day he is supposed to return, just so you know he isn't ignoring you.
Bit Defender, Kaspersky, Trend Micro, Symantec
I will second Avast, been using it for a couple of years now with zero problems or virus intrusions.
Avast is good---Czech company----they just hired away one of Symantec's lead guys.
Thanks guys, I'll give Avast a try. 1st 64 bit system I've been around.
Les would suggest Avast. If you don't have a link I think I still have one you can download quickly from his server. PM me you email addy and I will look for it.
Got it downloaded and doing it's thing. Spending some time now downloading open office, Picasa, and google earth. Firefox was the 1st thing I loaded when I got it unpacked. Still got to transfer all my pictures and saved files from the laptop before it goes in for a tuneup. 2 year old HP Cad/Cam work station (nw9440)that is loosing the monitor. Not what I had in mind there after what I paid for it new!
Good deal. You will like Avast.
Just a brief suggestion.... If one is downloading his initial virus protection, it is best to download it to a protected machine, and take that copy to ones new machine before it is ever hooked to a network or the web. One can get corrupted in seconds if he goes to the web unprotected.
Originally Posted by Sassy
Les is roughing it at Jellystone Park this week.
Really? He told me that he was gonna beam back to the Mothership for some sort of Dylithium something... grin
Thought of that, but the laptop isn't connected to this new desktop other than by thumbdrive so I took the chance. Ran Avast once I got it downloaded and showed no problems. You're right though, I got lucky.
As long as Windows security updates are current and you have the firewall turned on you should be okay.

David
I am running Avast on Windows 7 64 bit, and Super Anti-spyware remover, they work great. Les
© 24hourcampfire