Home
Posted By: Mannlicher My Great Grandfather - 09/01/09
Next week, I will be visiting my Great Grandfather's grave. I have never visited before, and just found out recently where it was.
He was born in 1838, and died in 1921. He is buried in Fayetteville Georgia, the CSA Cemetery.

Jack did the entire stretch of the Civil War. He joined with his brother, and his first cousin. All three were lucky, no sickness, no wounds and none of them died.
He never rose above the rank of Private. Company D, 46th Infantry Regiment, Army of Tennessee.
He fought at Jackson, Chickamauga, Atlanta.........
Lee surrendered on April 9th, Jack hung up his rifle on April 26th.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: My Great Grandfather - 09/02/09
Good job Mannlicher with a gret story to go along with it. I was lucky enough to find my GGGgrandfathers grave in Scotland this last summer. He fought Napolean's troops in the Netherlands many years ago. It's kind of neat finding this all out. kwg
Posted By: LBSmith Re: My Great Grandfather - 09/02/09
Very cool!

Lucas
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: My Great Grandfather - 09/02/09
I had about a dozen blood relatives that I know of who served the Confederacy. My 3rd Great Uncle died of disease in camp. My Mother's Great Grandfather was a Millwright who helped construct the defenses of Mobile Bay.

Both sides of my family served the Confederacy. I know of nobody on either who fought for the Yankees.
I have the letter that the Adjutant of one of my 3G Uncle's companies wrote for my Aunt when she applied for benefits. It states that he was a "good and faithful soldier" and was "with Lee at the surrender".
Posted By: HawkI Re: My Great Grandfather - 09/02/09
Sam,

Badass and principled.....and lucky. I'm betting he tolerated no fools.

Thanks for your family history.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: My Great Grandfather - 09/02/09
That's a good piece of family history anyone would be proud of.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: My Great Grandfather - 09/02/09
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Next week, I will be visiting my Great Grandfather's grave. I have never visited before, and just found out recently where it was.
He was born in 1838, and died in 1921. He is buried in Fayetteville Georgia, the CSA Cemetery.

Jack did the entire stretch of the Civil War. He joined with his brother, and his first cousin. All three were lucky, no sickness, no wounds and none of them died.
He never rose above the rank of Private. Company D, 46th Infantry Regiment, Army of Tennessee.

How did you obtain the specifics if you don't mind me prying. Letters, diary?
Posted By: Pete E Re: My Great Grandfather - 09/02/09
So was disease a big issue during the Civil war?
Posted By: isaac Re: My Great Grandfather - 09/02/09
Badass and principled.....and lucky. I'm betting he tolerated no fools.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Strenghthens the genetic traits argument a bit, doesn't it? grin
Posted By: RJY66 Re: My Great Grandfather - 09/02/09
Originally Posted by Pete E

Huge. Typhoid,dysentery,pneumonia, malaria and of course infection probably killed more guys than rifle and cannon.
Posted By: T LEE Re: My Great Grandfather - 09/02/09
Very cool Sir. My family didn't get here till 1890's so I have no claims back that far.
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: My Great Grandfather - 09/02/09

Disease killed more men that battlefield wounds. The odds were 1/60 of dying on the battlefield or 1/13 of dying from disease. These numbers come from Ken Burns "Civil War" series.

Doc
Posted By: Odessa Re: My Great Grandfather - 09/02/09

I have heard it said that World War II was the first war in which more combatants died from enemy fire than died from disease.
Posted By: Odessa Re: My Great Grandfather - 09/02/09
By the way, I traced one of my Civil War ancestors, my Great-grandfather. He served in Co D, 44th REG, NC State Troops (CSA) during the war. He enlisted as a Private, eventually becoming a Second Lieutenant. He was shot by a sniper on Squirrel Level Rd, during the siege of Petersburg and died 10 days later. The family here in eastern NC sent after his body and buried him in the family cemetery out in the county near the town where I live.
Posted By: rifle Re: My Great Grandfather - 09/02/09
My GGF was a school teacher in South Carolina, when the war started,he was a also known as a horse thief,by obtaining
stock for the Calvary by having his boys steal them at docks,they were meant for the Union.....Get'm Grandpa!!

A story is told of how he was always able to bring in Rum for the troops!
I've never found out what rank he was but with that forte,I would have made him a general!!
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: My Great Grandfather - 09/02/09
Barkoff,
How did you obtain the specifics if you don't mind me prying. Letters, diary?

A nephew has been digging for years. There were a few old aunts in Alabama that still had memory of him.
The service information is available on line in some cases. The easy way to look up a Confederate relative is to look in the archives of the Union for Parole information. In Jack's case, since he did not lay down his arms and ask for parole, there were no records for him.
My Mother supplied the place of interment. She is 93 now. Mom had not met Jack, as he died about 18 years before she married Pop, but she remembered visiting the grave during WW II. She was in nursing school then, at Emory University in Atlanta.
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: My Great Grandfather - 09/02/09

Twice as many soldiers died of disease as died of wounds. Surprisingly, most of the diseases would be considered childhood diseases.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: My Great Grandfather - 09/02/09
Mine (Lycurgus Border)was an interesting fellow. Not talked about alot in the family. (None of that genetic trait crap Bob!)

http://books.google.com/books?id=Qr...mp;resnum=1#v=onepage&q=&f=false
Posted By: bbassi Re: My Great Grandfather - 09/02/09
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Mine (Lycurgus Border)was an interesting fellow. Not talked about alot in the family. (None of that genetic trait crap Bob!)

http://books.google.com/books?id=Qr...mp;resnum=1#v=onepage&q=&f=false

That's a cool read. I like the line about everyone getting acquitted, " 'cause that's how it was done in those days"
Posted By: Rutstopper Re: My Great Grandfather - 09/02/09
My GGF served with the 7th Ga. calvary.He died in 1901 one yr. before my dad was born,was reported as living with one of his sons near Abbeville,Ga. I do not know where his gravesite is.

Ron
Posted By: tzone Re: My Great Grandfather - 09/02/09
You are part of American history Sam. Very cool.
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: My Great Grandfather - 09/02/09
My Great Great Grandfather.

Biography

Deas was born in Camden, South Carolina, a son of James Sutherland Deas and Margaret Rebecca (Chestnut) Deas. He was a cousin of future fellow Confederate general James Chestnut, Jr.. He was educated in South Carolina and in Caudebec, France. In 1835, his family moved to Mobile, Alabama, where he initially engaged in the mercantile business. He served in the army during the Mexican-American War. After the war, he became a prominent cotton broker in Alabama and amassed a significant fortune from his speculation. He married Helen Gaines Lyon on May 16, 1853.

With the passage of Alabama's ordinance of secession, Deas enlisted in the Confederate army in the Alabama Volunteer Infantry. He served as aide-de-camp to General Joseph E. Johnston during the First Battle of Manassas. He was commissioned as colonel of the 22nd Alabama Infantry, a regiment he helped raise and equip, purchasing 800 Enfield rifles with gold. He led his men at the Battle of Shiloh, where assumed command of the brigade on the first day of fighting before falling with a severe wound the following day.[1]

After recovering. he commanded a brigade under General Braxton Bragg in the Kentucky Campaign. His command consisted of the 19th Alabama, 22nd Alabama, 25th Alabama, 39th Alabama, 50th Alabama, 17th Alabama Battalion Sharpshooters, and Dent's Alabama Battery. He was appointed as a brigadier general on December 13, 1862, and fought at the Battle of Chickamauga, where his men routed the Union division of Philip H. Sheridan and killed Brig. Gen. William H. Lytle. They also captured seventeen artillery pieces.[2]

Deas continued to lead his brigade through the Atlanta Campaign and the subsequent fighting in Tennessee, where he was again wounded at the Battle of Franklin. He participated in the Carolinas Campaign, but took ill at Raleigh, North Carolina, in March 1865 and had to leave his field command prior to the surrender at Bennett Place.

After the war, Deas returned to his cotton brokerage. He owned a seat on the New York Stock Exchange.[3]

Deas is buried in Woodlawn Cemetery in New York City.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: rifle Re: My Great Grandfather - 09/02/09
That is cool.....Outstanding service!
Posted By: bruinruin Re: My Great Grandfather - 09/02/09
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
My Great Great Grandfather.

Biography

Deas was born in Camden, South Carolina, a son of James Sutherland Deas and Margaret Rebecca (Chestnut) Deas. He was a cousin of future fellow Confederate general James Chestnut, Jr.. He was educated in South Carolina and in Caudebec, France. In 1835, his family moved to Mobile, Alabama, where he initially engaged in the mercantile business. He served in the army during the Mexican-American War. After the war, he became a prominent cotton broker in Alabama and amassed a significant fortune from his speculation. He married Helen Gaines Lyon on May 16, 1853.

With the passage of Alabama's ordinance of secession, Deas enlisted in the Confederate army in the Alabama Volunteer Infantry. He served as aide-de-camp to General Joseph E. Johnston during the First Battle of Manassas. He was commissioned as colonel of the 22nd Alabama Infantry, a regiment he helped raise and equip, purchasing 800 Enfield rifles with gold. He led his men at the Battle of Shiloh, where assumed command of the brigade on the first day of fighting before falling with a severe wound the following day.[1]

After recovering. he commanded a brigade under General Braxton Bragg in the Kentucky Campaign. His command consisted of the 19th Alabama, 22nd Alabama, 25th Alabama, 39th Alabama, 50th Alabama, 17th Alabama Battalion Sharpshooters, and Dent's Alabama Battery. He was appointed as a brigadier general on December 13, 1862, and fought at the Battle of Chickamauga, where his men routed the Union division of Philip H. Sheridan and killed Brig. Gen. William H. Lytle. They also captured seventeen artillery pieces.[2]

Deas continued to lead his brigade through the Atlanta Campaign and the subsequent fighting in Tennessee, where he was again wounded at the Battle of Franklin. He participated in the Carolinas Campaign, but took ill at Raleigh, North Carolina, in March 1865 and had to leave his field command prior to the surrender at Bennett Place.

After the war, Deas returned to his cotton brokerage. He owned a seat on the New York Stock Exchange.[3]

Deas is buried in Woodlawn Cemetery in New York City.

[Linked Image]

I see no mention of whether or not he used a toothpick instead of a saber in battle. grin
Congratulations on finding your ancestor Sam. Interesting stuff.

My G-Grandfather is buried in the local cemetery. He was a 1st Lt in Co D Waul's Texas Legion. Was at the battle of Chickasaw Bluff in La. Got sick and was sent home. Never recovered enough to get sent back on active duty but managed as an enrolling officer here in Texas.

He had two first cousins that did get killed. One was in the 13th Mississippi and was killed on the second day of Gettysburg when Barksdale drove in the salient.

The other was in the 40th Mississippi and was wounded and captured at Peachtree Creek outside Atlanta. Died a few weeks later in a yankee hospital in Memphis.

BCR
Posted By: chris112 Re: My Great Grandfather - 09/02/09
Most of my dad's side of the family is buried about 25 miles from here. Includes August Erb, Civil War veteran wounded at Gettysburg. A veteran from the Spanish American War, forgot the name but he served in the 3rd US Volunter Cavalry (Teddy Roosevelt's outfit). The last 3 women in the family that had a certain name; first died old the next two in infancy, no one in the family will even consider using the name anymore.
Also 2 individuals; one marked "Unkown" the other "Died Man Found at Folker's Bridge". Makes me sad to think that their families will never know what happened to them.
Posted By: fatjack34 Re: My Great Grandfather - 09/02/09
John Moses...made good for the Rebs., and is buried in NEW YORK???? A little ironic! I take no sides on the war...I was born in NH, and still live here. All of my people came to this country after the war as immigrants. Family history is a great thing. The war was a terrible thing. Lost lives and families divided. Horrible attrocities. Not to sound like it will sound, but...I rarely hear of "Northerns" speaking of the war and the "Rebs". I do however hear a lot of "Southern" folk still carrying on about the "Damn Yankees". I wish I could understand it, but I guess it is a pride thing for those who grew up in the south...and really, I mean no disrespect, just an observation. Some day i hope to get a 1-on-1 perspective from a person who is deeply rooted in the south. JC
Originally Posted by fatjack34
John Moses...made good for the Rebs., and is buried in NEW YORK???? A little ironic! I take no sides on the war...I was born in NH, and still live here. All of my people came to this country after the war as immigrants. Family history is a great thing. The war was a terrible thing. Lost lives and families divided. Horrible attrocities. Not to sound like it will sound, but...I rarely hear of "Northerns" speaking of the war and the "Rebs". I do however hear a lot of "Southern" folk still carrying on about the "Damn Yankees". I wish I could understand it, but I guess it is a pride thing for those who grew up in the south...and really, I mean no disrespect, just an observation. Some day i hope to get a 1-on-1 perspective from a person who is deeply rooted in the south. JC

Both my sides of my family were from the South. I grew up learning southern traditions and history, many times from folks who didn't even know they were imparting that kind of knowledge. It's just how we did things, talked, what we ate, etc. My family on my Father's side left and went west during Reconstruction. My Mother's family nearly all still live in various parts of the old Confederacy.

A defeated people, a devastated countryside, an usurped government, and economic oppression. A way of life gone forever. What else do you want to know?
Many left the South after the war. There was little opportunity for a former "rebel" after being vanquished. New York City was the center of economic activity for the nation. Why not go there? One could sit around lamenting the old days and being bitter about the defeat, or one could move on. Sometimes the "moving on" was literal. My family went to Iowa, stayed about ten years, and then came here in the 1880's. There is no honor in wallowing in self-pity and enduring unnecessary economic hardship. This is especially true if one is married and has children to care for or aged parents. Even if there was honor in it, duty comes first. General Lee said so.
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: My Great Grandfather - 09/02/09
Hi Jack,

I don't believe I harp on the War between the States. I saw a thread about folks ancestors that had served in the Confederacy and just made a post.

The Man had to make a living and had lost almost everything he had in the war. He amassed a considerable fortune in New York, which we got none of by the way mad.

After the war, records were intentionally destroyed and folks changed the spelling of their names in order to make a fresh start and keep what possessions they had from being taken from them.

I believe he should have stayed south, as most of his family did. My Great Grandfather did stay in the South and paid a good price for it.

I'm an American.

However, Had I been there, I would have been shooting as many Yankees as humanly possible. If they didn't want to be shot they should have stayed at home. grin

JM.

Posted By: Mannlicher Re: My Great Grandfather - 09/02/09
On my Mother's side, 6 out of 7 brothers went through the Civil War in the Army of Northern Virginia. All of them survived, and with no wounds as well.
My Great Grandfather, on her side, was the youngest at 10, and stayed home to run the farm.
After the war, he killed two Union Soldiers who, along with a carpet bagger, had come to the farm to 'requisition' cattle and other property. He fired from the barn hay loft when one of the men 'laid hands' on his ma.
For 6 months he hid out in an abandoned coal mine up on Brushy Mountain, The feds never found him, and eventually it was all forgotten. Well, not forgotten by the family. laugh
Posted By: wahoo Re: My Great Grandfather - 09/02/09
Many of the records were destroyed in a fire in Richmond.
Local Co seats have a lot of muster records.
Bill
Posted By: Violator22 Re: My Great Grandfather - 09/02/09
Mom has all our family history, by the way that is really cool Mannlicher. Les
Posted By: isaac Re: My Great Grandfather - 09/02/09
Great thread, Sam, with very cool additions by the gang.

I best look into my great-grandmother's maiden name of Lincoln.

JK!
John Moses....Please, I mean no disrespect, and I didn't imply you were ranting...if I did, I didn't mean it to come off that way. Like I said, I don't understand some of the sntiment from my perspective. Although if I had been raised in the South and my family was there for generations and had been on the losing end of an invading army from within, I too would probably be a little sore. It isn't right to pillage and burn cities and farms, even under war time doctrines. But again, I have no direct connection, so i guess that is why I asked about the strong lasting sentiment. thanks again. JC
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Cool.
Posted By: 700LH Re: My Great Grandfather - 09/02/09
I think it's great.
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: My Great Grandfather - 09/02/09
Fatjack ... think in terms of Reconstruction (one hell of a misnomer). That part of the Civil War gets short shrift. History, as it is taught by the victors (yankees), and as it has been further subverted by progressive revisionists, portray southerners as evil, uneducated, slavery bent monsters. Your original post mentioned you not hearing northerners referring to southerners as "rebs." But how often have you heard northerners joke about so-called uneducated, backwards (i.e., stupid) southerners, usually told while making fun with an exaggerated southern drawl. Northerners have their fair share of disrespect towards southerners.

If your family lived through Reconstruction, you would have no trouble understanding. Southerners were murdered, raped and pillaged by the folks professing to "preserve the union." Yankees and carpetbaggers were placed in authority and southerners were fair game. If they resisted, they were outlaws. Their land and businesses were stolen. And to this day, most northern folks believe the war was about slavery. States rights ... resistance to federal control (hallmarks of the founding principles to this country) are what the war was about. The slavery issue is disproportionately, and absolutely made to cover over everything else.

That's not to say that southerners hate northerners, generally speaking. There absolutely is a strong difference in culture between the north and south. My Great-Great Grandfather also fought for the Confederacy.
Gringo...excellent dissertation! I can see more clearly some of the deeper rooted issues at face value! Thanks for helping! JC
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: My Great Grandfather - 09/02/09
Originally Posted by fatjack34
Gringo...excellent dissertation! I can see more clearly some of the deeper rooted issues at face value! Thanks for helping! JC

Your welcome. And I hope that my response doesn't imply any kind of automatic prejudice towards folks from the northern side of the Mason Dixon ... if so, let me clarify. I could care less where someone was born, grew up or their ethnicity. All I care about any individual is how they act and if they treat folks, and in particular me and mine, with respect. I tend to reciprocate whatever folks send my way, good or bad (bad reciprocation gets amplified by orders of magnitude). I'm hardwired that way.
Posted By: Strick9 Re: My Great Grandfather - 09/02/09
At the age of 14 my Great Grandfather grabbed me by the arm and said lets go, 3 months of good old American woodsmanship and survival followed. He ate potatoe peels for breakfast and lunch for a year or so in the Great Depression so that his family could have the potatoe proper. They just don't make em like that anymore, though I believe another time of that nature is round the corner.
I had a great, great aunt, Rose O'Neal Greenhow. She was a Confederate spy and drowned when her ship ran aground. She was returning from Europe, where she had raised funds to support the Southren cause. She had sewn gold coins into the hem of her dress for safe keeping, and when she abandoned ship, the weight of the coins pulled her under. She had been imprisoned in a Union prison for espionage.
This link gives more details:

http://www.americancivilwar.com/women/rg.html
Posted By: Pete E Re: My Great Grandfather - 09/02/09
One of my relatives decided to trace our family tree.

She got back as far as WW2 and two of her great uncles.

One of the brothers went AWOL while home on leave, and was eventually arrested after living rough for three months in a "dug out" constructed under a fallen tree. The other brother was supposedly executed aftering knifing a fellow soldier to death in an argument over a card game on a troop ship while being deployed to the Far East.

I still chuckle at the look of obvious shame on my rather prime and proper aunt who told me this, and how she had decided perhpaps tracing the family tree was not a good idea! grin I did say she should look on the bright side, as at least it turned out both brothers severed in the *British* Army during the war... grin grin
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: My Great Grandfather - 09/03/09
LOL Pete E.

Actually, this thread has me thinking I should try to find out a few more details about my Gx2 Grandfather. I have a photocopy of him in uniform. The photocopy is of an old tintype photograph. It's not very good quality, and even the original is somewhat deteriorated if I recall. But with scanners being what they are today, there's no reason anyone shouldn't preserve all their old photos as digital. My line goes Scottish and Swedish on my father's side. On my mothers side, it's truly American ... Heinz 57 grin.
This is a cool thread i looked up my family tree a while back. Found my great great grand father E.R. Burt col. 18th mississippi. One of my uncles even had a picture of an old flag.
Posted By: pumpgun Re: My Great Grandfather - 09/03/09
My GGF was in Co C of the 59th Alabama Infantry Regiment which was part of Hilliard's legion. According to family history Co C fought many rear guard actions so by their surrender at Appomattox my ggf was in Co B. We have his copy of his oath of allegiance he ha to sign at appomattox.

The family moved to Texas sometime after the civil war. tom
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: My Great Grandfather - 09/03/09

Huge. My great-great-grandfather was first sergeant of an infantry company from georgia in Lee's army of northern virginia. He died of the measles during the peninsula campaign in virginia in 1862. We've tried to locate his grave but have been unsuccessful so far. By most accounts half to two thirds of the fatalities were from disease instead of battle wounds.
© 24hourcampfire