Home
7STW's pic got me to wondering. How would a Tiger Tank stack up against today's tanks?
Can you say "Scrap"???
Be a slaughter worse than the Iraqi desert.
Tiger might get one shot off, if it was hidden well.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Tiger Tank vs. Current Issue - 10/29/09
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
7STW's pic got me to wondering. How would a Tiger Tank stack up against today's tanks?

High quality German steel scrap is in demand so I'm sure there would be a use for a former Tiger. grin

There really is no comparision in any respect, range, speed, weapon, targeting, armor are all generations better in a modern tank. A while back I saw a video during Desert Storm (now 17 years ago!) of an M1A1 destroying former Soviet top line tanks at will, in the dark before the Iraqi's ever had a chance to get off a round. It was impressive to say the least. At the same time the anti-tank weapons of today, both airborne and infantry would make quick work of the Tiger.
Originally Posted by bbassi
Tiger might get one shot off, if it was hidden well.

Yeah, those dings in an M1 or Challenger 2's paintwork would sure take some buffing out...
Consider that you are referring to 65+ year old technology ...
A KonigsTiger's main gun could cause serious problems. Armor heavy enuff to give SOME protection. SERIOUS mobility problems. SUPERBLY trained crews though.
One interesting fact though, isn't the MIAI using the same barrel as top of the line current German tanks, made by the same German company that made barrels for the Tiger?
Rheinmetal Borsig for the Ml's, Krupp for the Tigers
Tiger would get it's butt kicked by the Abrams.

Target acquisition, cannon size, land speed, mechanical dependibility, communications, are all multiple generations of equipment better in the Abrams.

The Tiger was indeed superior to it'w adversary, the WW2 US Sherman tank, which was a mediocre tank for the time period, in all respects save three.

First, it was much easier to repair. Slap in a new engine, hose out the old crew, and you were ready to go the next day. The Tiger often had to be hauled back to the depot for repair. And the Tiger had more mechanical problems than the Sherman did.

Second, the Sherman was much easier to manufacture than the Tiger.

Third, the Sherman was much easier to ship than the Tiger.

The Sherman's main faults were the relatively weak gun, and the light armor. It also had an alarming tendency to burn.

Chuck
Cool.
Still a good pic ol Mike has up of that Tiger...
Sherman=The "Ronson",lights first time every time.
Originally Posted by Barkoff
One interesting fact though, isn't the MIAI using the same barrel as top of the line current German tanks, made by the same German company that made barrels for the Tiger?

Yes, but with 65 years worth of improvements.

The British designed armour on the M1 and Challenger 2 can with stand any of the main guns on Soviet cold war era tanks, so a WW2 Tiger's is not going to be a match...Tanks and armour design took huge strides in the Cold War, and again in the 1980's...
Now if you wanted to compare a Tiger to say on M48 Patton, or a Centurion, then things would be a bit more interesting, and the skill and combat experience of the crew would play a bigger factor..
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Tiger Tank vs. Current Issue - 10/29/09
Within 1km that 88 would reek massive havoc on the M1a1.Yes the American tanks are using the German 120 mm gun from the Leopard tanks.
I don't know specs, but I would agree with Pete.

While the Tiger was ahead of its time and pretty much reduced anything coming up against it to scrap iron during WWII, it did so mainly because the opposition was severely lacking. It was a well-armored, well-armed tank in its own right, but overwelming-ness of its success was the fact that even the heavy armor up against it either wasn't armored enough to withstand the powerful 88mm gun or didn't have the gun to punch through the armor.

Remember that the Sherman was a "Medium" tank and really not built to go up against the likes of the Tigers. It was through sheer numbers of fielded tanks and the iron guts of the US and British crews who went up against the Tigers in them that there were any successes at all. BUt despite it's strengths, the Tiger's reputation and record could be based more on the weaknesses of it's opponents. Sort of like a Major League ball team building it's winning record by playing and defeating only minor-league teams.

The Tiger had its shortcomings as well, weight, lack of speed, fuel consumption, etc.

Pound for pound, even the M60 tanks were superior to the Tiger, I believe, in armor and performance. The M1 Abrams is far superior to the M60. That's not even factoring in the technology of targeting and armament.

If I remember, once the HEAT rounds were developed (High Explosive Anti-Tank), the threat of German armor was lessened greatly. The current sabot rounds and the like would turn a Tiger into a molten lump in less than a second.

Novel idea though, but even good things become obsolete.

Aqualung
Posted By: DARBY Re: Tiger Tank vs. Current Issue - 10/29/09
7STW, do you really think an 88 hits harder than the T-72 125mm smoothbore - using modern ammunition - that couldn't take out an Abrahms? Really?
7 STW,

When the design for the Centurion was laid down in 1945, one of its main requirements was that it could withstand direct hits from the famed German 88mm, and post war trials proved it was successful. If a 1945 vintage tank could with stand the 88cm, what on earth makes you think it would "reek havoc" with an M1a1???

Incidently the Centurian was probably one of the most succesful post WW2 designs and has seen more combat than any other Western design. As recently as 2006, the Isreali's used heavily modified versions during the Invasion of Lebenon. Truely a landmark design, and another bit of British history that used a version of the famous Merlin engine..

Regards,

Peter
Right place yup.Whats the size of case for the 125..The 88 is a overbore like nuttin else.
Mike,
Whats the muzzle velocity of the 88?
Weight of projectile??
Posted By: bcp Re: Tiger Tank vs. Current Issue - 10/29/09
Sherman vs Tiger video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBp4eWqXfno

Bruce
Forget the weight but she's leaving the muzzle at 2700 fps.
The real question is what a dug in hull down Tiger would do to a Bradley with its ridiculously high profile.

That thing just seems like death trap if we ever fight anyone with decent armor whose crews don't try and surrender to news helicopters.
When the British were testing the Atomic bomb in Australia in the 1950's, one of the tests included placing a Centurian, with its engine running, about 600 yards from the detonation.

After the test, the tank was found to have suffered only minor damage to its lights, optics, antennas ect and it was determined it only have stopped running when it ran out of fuel! The tank was decontaminated and driven off the test site!

That vehicle was in service another twenty odd years with the Australian Army, and included seeing combat in Vietnam.

It is now set up as a gate guard at a barracks in the northern Australia somewhere...
Originally Posted by Cossatotjoe

That thing just seems like death trap if we ever fight anyone with decent armor whose crews don't try and surrender to news helicopters.

The same might be said about the M1...Its turbine engine has a heat signature like you wouldn't believe, but luckily its never been used in combat against a foe that could exploit that weakness...
Good Iron no doubt the Centurian prolly the best of her day.Just aliitle late with the introduction.
When the M1 was first deployed to Europe, there were stories going around how that any cars foolish enough to follow the tanks to closely had the paint blistered off of them.
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Good Iron no doubt the Centurian prolly the best of her day.Just aliitle late with the intrduction.

Yes, and indirectly it owes a lot of its success to lessons learned from the Germans and Russians...
There were TWO different 88mm guns used on two different Tigers. The Tiger l used a Kwk 36 L56 with 2700 fps. The Tiger ll used a Kwk 43 and 43/1 L71 with a mv of 3800 fps. The alloy of the penetrators would fail the 88 today. Given a du penetrator, they would swiss cheese todays armor. Remember that the Bushmaster 25mm chaingun uses a du that will punch frontal armor on a MBT so an 88 with du would do that quite easly if rom a Kwk 43/1.
The real question is what a dug in hull down Tiger would do to a Bradley with its ridiculously high profile.

it would die, from about four miles out. That 88 wouldn't scratch the depleted uranium/kevlar hi-tech armor on the Abrams at close range. And of course, it would never get to close range.

just the armor technology make this a ridiculous mismatch, putting aside the targeting and gun technologies:

The Abrams is protected by armor based on the British-designed Chobham armor, a further development of the British 'Burlington' armor. Chobham is a composite armor formed by spacing multiple layers of various alloys of steel, ceramics, plastic composites, and kevlar, giving an estimated maximum (frontal turret) 1,320�1,620 millimetres (52�64 in) of RHA versus HEAT (and other chemical energy rounds) and 940�960 mm (37�38 in) versus kinetic energy penetrators.[7] It may also be fitted with reactive armor over the track skirts if needed (as in the Urban Survival Kit) and Slat armor over the rear of the tank and rear fuel cells to protect against ATGMs. Fuel and ammunition are in armored compartments with blowout panels to protect the crew from the risk of the tank's own ammunition cooking off if the tank is damaged. Protection against spalling is provided by a Kevlar liner. Beginning in 1987, M1A1 tanks received improved armor packages that incorporated depleted uranium (DU) mesh in their armor at the front of the turret and the front of the hull. Armor reinforced in this manner offers significantly increased resistance towards all types of anti-tank weaponry, but at the expense of adding considerable weight to the tank, as depleted uranium is 1.7 times more dense than lead.[8]
An Anniston Army Depot mechanic installs defensive armor onto the turret of an M1 Assault Breacher Vehicle. The turret is fabricated by the depot and assembled atop an overhauled M1 Abrams chassis to create an ABV for the U.S. Marine Corps.

The first M1A1 tanks to receive this upgrade were tanks stationed in Germany, since they were the first line of defense against the Soviet Union. US-based tank battalions participating in Operation Desert Storm received an emergency program to upgrade their tanks with depleted uranium armor immediately before the onset of the campaign. M1A2 tanks uniformly incorporate depleted uranium armor, and all M1A1 tanks in active service have been upgraded to this standard as well, the added protection from the depleted uranium armor is believed to be equivalent to 24 inches (610 mm) of RHA. The strength of the armor is estimated to be about the same as similar western, contemporary main battle tanks such as the Leopard 2. In the Persian Gulf War, Abrams tanks survived multiple hits at relatively close ranges from Iraqi Lion of Babylon tanks and ATGMs. M829A1 "Silver Bullet" APFSDS rounds from other M1A1 Abrams were unable to penetrate the front and side armor (even at close ranges) in friendly fire incidents as well as an incident in which another Abrams tried to destroy an Abrams that got stuck in mud and had to be abandoned.[9]
Originally Posted by 340boy
When the M1 was first deployed to Europe, there were stories going around how that any cars foolish enough to follow the tanks to closely had the paint blistered off of them.

They are also fantastically fuel thirsty..In GW 1 and 2, it was found that the logistics elements had real problems keeping up with them and it was always a concern they would end up running dry at the wrong time...
This thread should be more like

German Leopard vs the MI

You Brits don't mess around and you learn fast.Thus the Centurian was born.
So, Steve, what part of Bradley and Abrams read the same to you?
The Russian tank killer is the Koronet missile. The real danger of the 125mm Rapira is that it fires the missile as well as the standard ammunition.
So, Steve, what part of Bradley and Abrams read the same to you?

lo siento mucho, Jose.....thought we were talking about tanks and missed the Bradley reference.....afternoon ADHD. The Bradley would, of course, have seen the Tiger on its sensors and called in Apaches, fast movers, or Abrams to deal with it. wink
Tigers can't fire on the run, the M1 can. Barrel size becomes irrelevant if you can't hit them.

The M1 could just circle a group of Tiger's at range and fire on the run, while the odds of the Tigers hitting a moving target at range is slim and none.

Course the M1 crew could wait until nightfall and really have fun with the Tigers.

Posted By: bcp Re: Tiger Tank vs. Current Issue - 10/29/09
Guns
----------------------
Tiger 1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KwK_36

Pzgr. 40 (APCR)

An Armor Piercing Composite Rigid round with a sub-calibre tungsten core.

* Weight of projectile: 7.3 kg (16 lbs)
* Muzzle velocity: 930 m/s (3,051 ft/s)

Penetration figures given for an armoured plate 30 degrees from the horizontal
Hit probability versus 2.5 x 2 m target [1]
Range Penetration in training in combat
100 m 171 mm 100 % 100 %
500 m 156 mm 100 % 100 %
1000 m 138 mm 100 % 93 %
1500 m 123 mm 97 % 74 %
2000 m 110 mm 89 % 47 %
2500 m n/a 78 % 34 %
3000 m n/a 66 % 25 %
-------------------------------------------------------
Tiger II
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8.8_cm_KwK_43

PzGr. 40/43 APCR

* Type: Armour-piercing, Composite Rigid construction)
* Projectile weight: 7.3 kg (16 lbs)
* Muzzle velocity: 1,130 m/s (3,707 ft/s)

Penetration figures established as average against an armoured plate laid back 30 degrees from the vertical Hit probability versus 2.5 m x 2 m target[1]
Range Penetration in training in combat
100 m 238 mm 100 % 100 %
500 m 217 mm 100 % 100 %
1000 m 193 mm 100 % 89 %
1500 m 171 mm 97 % 66 %
2000 m 153 mm 89 % 47 %
2500 m n/a 78 % 34 %
3000 m n/a 66 % 25 %
-------------------------------------------
Abrams
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rheinmetall_L55#L55

The DM33 has a three-part aluminum sabot and a two-part tungsten penetrator, and is said to be able to penetrate 560 millimeters (22 in) of steel armor at a range of 2,000 meters (2,200 yd). The introduction of the longer barrel came hand in hand with the introduction of a new kinetic energy penetrator, the DM53. With a muzzle velocity of between 1,650 meters per second (5,400 ft/s) and 1,750 meters per second (5,700 ft/s), the projectile has an engagement range of up to 4,000 meters (4,400 yd).
This thread should be more like
German Leopard vs the MI

I've often wondered about the Leopard 1..I know it was developed in the mid 1960's, but its almost as if the Germans took tank design in a different direction from thier Tigers and King Tigers.

The early versions of the Leopard 1 were actually relatively lightly armoured and far lighter than even the Tiger, never mind the King Tiger...

It wasn't until the advent of the Leopard 2 that the Germans returned to a proper MTB..
Somewhere in my photos boxes I have a picture I took back in the 80's of an M1 and Leopard II, sitting side by side.

The size of those beasts side by side is impressive.
This doesn't relate to much here, but I distinctly remember a day down in Hohenfels. Driving a jeep and coming around a corner on a little dirt road to confront an FRG Leopard not 30 yards away.

Skidded to a stop and just sat for a moment. Bunch of German soldiers that were riding the tank looking back, just smiling - knowing that if it was 25 years before my ass would have been grass!

Very, very impressive looking into the muzzle of a tank gun. Said gun attached to a grey monster with that square white German cross on it was, unsettling.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
This doesn't relate to much here, but I distinctly remember a day down in Hohenfels. Driving a jeep and coming around a corner on a little dirt road to confront an FRG Leopard not 30 yards away.

Skidded to a stop and just sat for a moment. Bunch of German soldiers that were riding the tank looking back, just smiling - knowing that if it was 25 years before my ass would have been grass!

Very, very impressive looking into the muzzle of a tank gun. Said gun attached to a grey monster with that square white German cross on it was, unsettling.

I have a street sign that is appropriate to your post. Possible that not another one exists in the United States.

A buddy of mine was USMLM out of Potsdam and I was supposed to take his position when he left. Long story short, the street sign is the standard European right of way sign, only the East Germans had a version where they had a T-54/55 tank in the middle of the ubiquitous yellow diamond meaning "Tanks have the right of way".
Originally Posted by Pete E
When the British were testing the Atomic bomb in Australia in the 1950's, one of the tests included placing a Centurian, with its engine running, about 600 yards from the detonation.

After the test, the tank was found to have suffered only minor damage to its lights, optics, antennas ect and it was determined it only have stopped running when it ran out of fuel! The tank was decontaminated and driven off the test site!

That vehicle was in service another twenty odd years with the Australian Army, and included seeing combat in Vietnam.

It is now set up as a gate guard at a barracks in the northern Australia somewhere...
You need better Nukes. grin
Originally Posted by RickyD
You need better Nukes. grin

I just knew that was coming! grin grin grin
Our M26 Pershing used in the last months of WWII, especially the experimental "SuperPershing" was an even match for the King Tiger. See:DEATH TRAPS by Belton Y. Cooper
The uped gun Sherman Firefly could take the Tiger out also.
A King Tiger against and Abrams? Somebody is kidding themselves.

Killed three miles before the Tigers gets in range? How do that work?
I'll take an A-10... grin...
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I'll take an A-10... grin...

I was just thinkin the same thing...
Until recently the same company owned both Buttwipper beer and the tank company in Germany.
Originally Posted by 3sixbits

That's why it should be compared to the German Leopard 2.I mean 65 years of difference between.Even on a chitty day my 2000 Chev will smoke a stock 40's Chev.Of the newer tanks I'd grab the Leopard 2.
That Leopard 2 ain't anything to sneeze at.
Ahhh, how I would have loved to deploy that tank against the Popov's during WWII...
Same gun as the M1 but it has a lower profile and the turrets faster on the German tank.It can spin it's turret and tracks in sick like speed .A awesome weapon.
Can the Leopard fire on the move? Can it fire at 60 miles an hour? Can the Leopard go 60 miles an hour?

The best defense a tank has is never being where everybody thinks it's suppose to be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopard_2
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
A KonigsTiger's main gun could cause serious problems. Armor heavy enuff to give SOME protection. SERIOUS mobility problems. SUPERBLY trained crews though.

Sorry, no. The M1 crew would survive the hit from a King Tiger. If the main gun and fire control system survived, the entire German crew would be dead and the tank destroyed. If the main gun and fire control system did not survive but the comms did, the TC would contact his wing man and then the entire German crew would be dead and the tank destroyed.

Expat
Leopard.
Originally Posted by 3sixbits

That's why it should be compared to the German Leopard 2.I mean 65 years of difference between.Even on a chitty day my 2000 Chev will smoke a stock 40's Chev.Of the newer tanks I'd grab the Leopard 2.

Don't fight an M1A2SEP in that L2 unless you like being dead.

Expat
Posted By: mjc Re: Tiger Tank vs. Current Issue - 10/29/09
"Super Pershing" vs. Germany's "King Tiger"

http://www.3ad.com/history/news/super.pershing.1.htm

They are also fantastically fuel thirsty..In GW 1 and 2, it was found that the logistics elements had real problems keeping up with them and it was always a concern they would end up running dry at the wrong time...

But they didn't. grin It's not cool to say and it's not cool to do, but US logisitcs forces are without peer from rivals or allies.

Expat
Being dead or not but I'd still take the Leopard 2 over a M1.
Being dead or not but I'd still take the Leopard 2 over a M1.

To each his own. I enjoy living! wink

Expat
Well there is no doubt that the three best battle tanks are the Abrams, Leopard, and Challenger. I would hate to have to see a duel between those three although based on the DVD the Abrams has the edge over both but only by a slim margin.
Well said derby dude..I enjoy life myself thus the L2.
When I was stationed in West Berlin in 1971, I worked with a German civilian (whose father had been a Colonel in the SS), and he told me that a WWII German tank was equivalent to 10 US tanks. Of course, the Americans always had an eleventh tank! grin grin
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Well there is no doubt that the three best battle tanks are the Abrams, Leopard, and Challenger. I would hate to have to see a duel between those three although based on the DVD the Abrams has the edge over both but only by a slim margin.

In a static fight, you are correct, but in a moving fight, the gap widens. The M1 has a decided advantage in speed, cross-country mobility, and fire control.

Expat
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Tiger Tank vs. Current Issue - 10/30/09
Originally Posted by mudstud
When I was stationed in West Berlin in 1971, I worked with a German civilian (whose father had been a Colonel in the SS), and he told me that a WWII German tank was equivalent to 10 US tanks. Of course, the Americans always had an eleventh tank! grin grin

Yup the numbers from east and west won the tank battle.Not the machines.Though the T 34 in it's time was a wicked bastid with the numbers behind it..
Posted By: tbear Re: Tiger Tank vs. Current Issue - 10/30/09
I was in a armored scout squadron in the early 60's & we had the M29A3 tanks. No comparison as you stated to the German Tiger. Some of my fellow officers had served in Korea where the M29's did well. Our squadron commander was a young officer in WWII & told many horror stories of whole companies of Sherman's being destroyed by Tigers. When tankers surrendered most were executed by the Germans. When we received the M60 it was like comparing a candle to a flashlight. A/C, night vision, computerized range finding, etc. We were ready to take on the Russians.
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK
But they didn't. grin It's not cool to say and it's not cool to do, but US logisitcs forces are without peer from rivals or allies.
Expat

Actually, the only reason they didn't was because the Tanks slowed up their advance and wait for the Loggies...

In one instance it was M1's from the USMC, and they endup waiting for a couple of days...Of course it doesn't help when the enemy folds like a pack of cards grin

But in both wars, running out of fuel or rounds was the main worry, as it was only at that point the Iraqi's stood any chance of counter attacking, and even then it was slim...

The Tiger and the King Tiger were momuments to stupidity. All told the German's built less than 1400 of them. While The Russians built 50+ thousand T-34's and We Built 54 thousand M-4 Shermans. While the Tigers were some of the most formadable tanks fielded in the Second World War, it would be a turkey shoot for them going up an M-1 Abrams or any other tank built from the mid 1960's on ward. Now the Mk 4 Panther the better tank. Germany had a lot of problems in world war II. They could never produce enough of the good stuff they needed, because Germans like to over engineer things. All you have to do is look at how they engineer a VW today verses the VW Bugs that were Aircooled in the 1945 to the late 1970's. Like I said the like to build Monuments. The T-34 was crude and easy to make, and it was a very good cross country machine for the Russian Seppes. The right machine in the right place. To bad the fools forgot about radio's. That was the edge the German had in the East for the first year or so. A simple two way radio.
The fire control on the Abrams and Challenger 2 are almost indentical as they are from the same company,(not sure about the Leopard 2)Canadian I believe...

The Abrams is faster than Challenger 2 across country but not by much, but Challenger has better range, and doesn't have that thermal signature of the Abrams.

The Abrahams has a German 120mm smoothbore gun, where as the British went with a similar sized rifled design. The Abrams gets to use the so called Silver Bullet round, probably the best anti tank round available today. The British uses a similar round (not quite as good but still defeats current WARSAW Pact armour) but retains the ability to fire HESH and HEAT rounds which need to be rifled to be accurate.

In the past this has been seen as added versitility, but there is much debate now on whether to go to the 120mm smoothbore (or bigger) and trials are on going...

I finished my time in an armoured recce regiment driving Fox CVR-(W) and we used to get to drool over Challenger 2's....Lets just say the performance exceeds their paper specs in many areas (I'm sure its the same with Abrams) and they are are world class kit...Challenger 1 onthe other hand was pretty dismal and was only in service for about 10 years, but Challenger 2 certainly corrected all its short comings and then some...

Edited to add both the Challenger 2 and the Abrams have been been breached by the RPG29...Whether by luck or skilled shot placement is open to debate, but neither tank is invincible...

Regards,

Peter
I'm going with the battle tested, Abrams.
If I hadda. Normally I ride in a Ford. .357 cal main gun, no armour. Good speed.
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK
Expat

Actually, the only reason they didn't was because the Tanks slowed up their advance and wait for the Loggies...

In one instance it was M1's from the USMC, and they endup waiting for a couple of days...Of course it doesn't help when the enemy folds like a pack of cards grin

But in both wars, running out of fuel or rounds was the main worry, as it was only at that point the Iraqi's stood any chance of counter attacking, and even then it was slim...

No armored advance can proceed faster than its fuel. The advance didn't slow from what was planned, it was slowed from the pace the maneuver commander opted to set. No plan survives contact intact, but all choices have implications and there are laws of physics that have to be obeyed even in war. I've never been assocated with an American military effort in which there was not 3-4 times more ammo on hand than what was required. It is cheap insurance in the long run.

Expat
Posted By: bcp Re: Tiger Tank vs. Current Issue - 10/30/09
Originally Posted by shreck
I'm going with the battle tested, Abrams.
If I hadda. Normally I ride in a Ford. .357 cal main gun, no armour. Good speed.

Made me think of this:

Challenger 2 tank vs Land Rover

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0sGDbjTQ8Q
Are you German? No offense but I notice you favor German technology as superior over all others.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this tactic of the Second World War: US tanks were there to support infantry advances, not take on German tanks. Tank destroyers were the machine intended to take on Tigers, like the M10 and M18.

http://www.tankdestroyersociety.com/tanks.htm

44henry
Are you German? No offense but I notice you favor German technology as superior over all others.

well, it was and is pretty good. I cant blame anyone for liking german weapons, tanks, ect
Wanna see my gun Yankee boy?

Grrrr, ruff, ruff.

It's loaded for a little devil...
Well this settles it! Case closed, argument over!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO5X_xTR6k0&NR=1
Derby-Dude,

Except the Leopard 2 has never been in combat, at least not tank ~v~ tank combat.

Incidently guess which tank holds the record for the longest kill on another tank at 5.1km?

Which tank had no losses (either kills or disabled) to enemy action in either GW 1 or GW2?

During GW1 and GW2 which tank was so reliable/ well armoured that it has never had to be abandoned/destroyed due to break down or minor battle damage??

Which tank has only had three losses, (one destroyed by FF, one breached by an RPG29 and other breached by a large EOD) since coming into service?

I'll give you a hint, it wasn't the Abrams! grin grin

Edited to add the most important feature I nearly forgot: The Challenger has a BV (think tea-ern!) as standard! grin grin
The uped gun Sherman Firefly could take the Tiger out also.

Very true, the upgunned Sherman varieties could indeed take out the Tiger. They just had to survive long enough to get within effective range.

Chuck
They rebuilt a Tiger on that show "Tank Overhaul." It had been sitting in a river in Poland for decades.

One thin they found was that the drive gear was underbuilt and not strong enough for a long, service-free career.

It was the king of the battlefield if it could fight on its own terms, and it wreaked havoc on M 3s and T 34s, but on the other hand, Shermans and T 34s wiped out Tigers if they could fight them on THEIR terms.

The Tiger was relatively slow and there weren't many of them. I talked to a WW II Tiger driver, or he said he was, named Fritz the Glassblower (his vocation.) He was on the Eastern Front in the war. He loved his tiger, said in deep snows, the Tigers would have to have other tanks lay down a path for them. This seemed true when he told it.

Of WW II tanks, the British Centurion was probably equal to the Tiger, but didn't see much acton as it got there too late. In the Korean war, it did shine, though.

As an aside, Ferdinand Porsche had his own plans for the German 88 gun, and built a couple of prototypes, which were inferior to the other standard types. Porsche was Hitler's buddy, so he kind of allowed him to take valuable war materiel and use if for his own pet project, and it didn't work out. Didn't have machine guns, for one thing. Finally, they did make a turretless mobile gun called the Ferdinand, same engine, same chassis, no turret so the gun was stable, kinda had to move the tank to range the gun. Top was open, like our TDs.

A Tiger against an Abrams? German scrap would be the result.
All y'all ought to thank me for giving you the opportunity to discuss this. heheh

Very interesting.
It has been a good thread, I learned a lot about tanks.
As an aside, my little brother got to 'drive' an M1 a few years back-he said he was amazed by how hard that thing accelerated from a dead stop-he said it literally pushed him back in his seat.
And this from, what, a 60 ton vehicle?
Pretty cool.
That Panzer rescued from Poland was a Panther.
It has been a good thread, I learned a lot about tanks.
As an aside, my little brother got to 'drive' an M1 a few years back-he said he was amazed by how hard that thing accelerated from a dead stop-he said it literally pushed him back in his seat.
And this from, what, a 60 ton vehicle?
Pretty cool.

That turbine engine really does deliver an amazing amount of power. IIRC it has a speed limiter on it as with out it can exceed 50mph on a good surface, but that puts a major strain on other compentents.

Having said that, when the Abrams is next upgraded, theres a better than even chance it will be fitted with a conventional disiel engine; the current turbine engine hasn't been in production for a number of years now and the availability of major spares is going to be a problem not to far down the line..
The M1 should have the same engine as the Leopard II. It is a 1,500 hp diesel engine that pretty much equals the turbine in the M1.
Going to diesels eh?
Maybe not a bad move...
Pulling the turbine will pull the teeth of the M1.

The best defense a tank has is speed and never being where everybody thinks it's suppose to be. If they pull the turbine look for M1's being knocked out all over the place.
Turbine powered M-1s, really are a quiet beast. You wouldnt think that a 72-ton tracked beast of war could sneak up on you, but they can get very close before you hear them. You can hear diesel powered armored vehicles from a long ways away.
Pulling the turbine will pull the teeth of the M1.

The best defense a tank has is speed and never being where everybody thinks it's suppose to be. If they pull the turbine look for M1's being knocked out all over the place.

What makes you say that? Modern desiels can easily put out the HP required to keep the performace the same, or better.

A few years back when this upgrade was being looked at thefirst time, a desiel engine with more HP, but phyiscaly smaller and lighter and less fuel thirsty was developed and all that stopped it being deployed was spending cuts. The only down side was the engine would be a dedicated desiel rather than the current one which is multifuel altough that feature is not used as far as I know.

The real "weakness" of the Abrams is its massive heat signature and that would be signficantly reduced by going to a conventional desiel. Coupled with proposed enhancements to its main gun, the Abrams really would be streets ahead of the Challenger and Leopard 2 then...

Regards,

Peter

Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
Turbine powered M-1s, really are a quiet beast. You wouldnt think that a 72-ton tracked beast of war could sneak up on you, but they can get very close before you hear them. You can hear diesel powered armored vehicles from a long ways away.

That is actually a very good point...the Abrams was nicknamed the "Whispering Death" during GW1 for that very reason. But ATM's can still target heat signatures not noise, and thats is main let down..
A new diesel engine would be able to use the same fuel as the current turbine engine. Jet fuel burns just fine in a diesel engine, a lot cleaner actually.

The current turbine engine, is a variant of the engine that was in the Huey, which if I remember correctly, could run on leaded Avgas for up to 50 hours. I havent flown a Huey in about 8 years, so that number may be wrong, but it could run on just about fuel you run thru it.
Those dang heat seekers can ruin your day!
Posted By: g5m Re: Tiger Tank vs. Current Issue - 10/30/09
A big "Tanks" errr, "Thanks" for a very interesting thread.
No doubt about the heat signature but we should have been working on second generation turbines not going backwards to diesels.

Every tanker I've talked to and the research I've seen or read the secret to the M1 is the turbine and it's ability for lightening speed, stopping on a dime, going in reverse just as fast as going forward, etc.

I look at it this way, our top fighters are turbine driven. Would we pull all the turbines and put in super duper gasoline reciprocating engines? I think not! We have newer and improved turbines for our fighters.

By now we should be upgrading the M1 with 2nd and maybe even 3rd generation turbines and transmissions not going back to diesels. No matter how good the diesel, it's not a turbine.

Maybe the reason new research is not going on for the tank is because while MBT's look cool there is no real need in today's battle field environment of the terrorist.

If there is a real need for MBT's, than the turbine is the way to go to move something that big at the speed it needs to move.

As I keep saying speed and never being where everybody thinks the tank should is the best defense the tank has. Far better than the best armour available.
D-D,

The Leopard 2 is rated a higher top speed both on road and cross country. The Abrams is governed to 42mph while the Leopard 2 is 45mph. The both do about 30Mph across country, as does Challenger2. Its not the engine or gear box that limits them, its the suspention and to a certain degree, the tracks..Modern tracked vehicles still throw tracks in certain circumstances...

Watch the video posted earlier of Leopard 2.

Current desiel engines in the Challenger 2 and the Leopard2 provide very similar practical performace to the Abrams, but without the reliability issues, and without that heat signature...You are never going to get a cool running turbine by its very nature..On aircraft you have the ability to use air flow to cool it to a degree, but for a tank, thats not viable...

Regards,

Peter

Posted By: Pugs Re: Tiger Tank vs. Current Issue - 10/30/09
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
Those dang heat seekers can ruin your day!

And a modern heat seeker guides on a diesel just as well as a turbine. Heck, the heat seeker on an AIM-9 Sidewinder is tested with a flashlight before launch. Reducing the heat signature of the M1A isn't going to make a bit of difference.

Originally Posted by Gene L

It was the king of the battlefield if it could fight on its own terms, and it wreaked havoc on M 3s and T 34s, but on the other hand, Shermans and T 34s wiped out Tigers if they could fight them on THEIR terms.

Never fight the other guys fight be it in the air, on the sea or on the ground. That lesson has been taught many a time!

Maybe the reason new research is not going on for the tank is because while MBT's look cool there is no real need in today's battle field environment of the terrorist.

If there is a real need for MBT's, than the turbine is the way to go to move something that big at the speed it needs to move.

As I keep saying speed and never being where everybody thinks the tank should is the best defense the tank has. Far better than the best armour available.

Tim,
What is that saying of the fighter pilots-"Speed is life?"

Also, I don't think we should ever neglect MBT and Artillery.
Just because the 'tangos' don't have them the ChiComs and Norks do by the thousands.
The Soviets used to have entire artillery divisions, if memory serves.
Not a bad idea, that.
Well it is interesting to note that every new armored vehicle I've seen to date being built to handle the new type of warfare is a wheeled vehicle. Even the Stryker which is the foundation for a whole host of vehicles including medium and heavy artillery uses the Stryker as the base vehicle.

I wonder if the day of the heavy tracked vehicle is over.

As to the turbine, we'll never know what it can really do on land until we do the R & D. I never thought I'd see a helicopter fly upside down but I have. I never thought I'd see a helicopter fly straight up but I have.

We'll never know what we can do until we try it. If we are doing very little on new tank development especially MBT's I wonder if there is really any need for them.

As for Leopard 2, when I see it eat a number of M1's for lunch than I'll accept it as the best battle tank. Until than I'll stick with the M1.

Tim,
What is that saying of the fighter pilots-"Speed is life?"

Also, I don't think we should ever neglect MBT and Artillery.
Just because the 'tangos' don't have them the ChiComs and Norks do by the thousands.
The Soviets used to have entire artillery divisions, if memory serves.
Not a bad idea, that.

Yup, speed is life. The SR71 was never shot down in combat according to the history book I have on it. It always out flew the missiles sent against it. Even the Mach5 missile the Russians built to shoot down the SR71 never did because the SR71 was never where the Russians thought it was suppose to be.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Tiger Tank vs. Current Issue - 10/30/09
Merkava Mk 4
The Merkava is interesting because it has the engine in front of the driver, and a large crew compartment to the rear.

The engine in front places more protection between the crew and the enemy.

The rear space allows for carrying additional personnel, and for emergency exit out of the rear of the tank.

Chuck
That does look like an interesting vehicle.
Cool...
Of all the things I fantasized about being, military-wise, as a kid... a tanker was not one of them.

As bad-ass as they are, the thought of being in a big steel TARGET just sounded claustrophobic at best.

A question for those that know: if you are in a tank that survives a hit from something "major", are the people inside ever going to be the same?? Seems like you'd be deaf and concussed if nothing else.

Tankers are a different breed.
My brother(who is infantry) and his ilk called 'em 'DATS' for Dumb Ass Tanker!
grin

They are CDAT's now, Computerized Dumb Ass Tanker, the only thing on the battle field armor wise that can take out an M-1 is a Leopard with the 120mm or another M1A2 SEP.
Originally Posted by chuck_tree
The Merkava is interesting because it has the engine in front of the driver, and a large crew compartment to the rear.

The rear space allows for carrying additional personnel, and for emergency exit out of the rear of the tank.

Chuck

An emergency escape hatch is interesting because I asked an M1 tanker where was the escape hatch I couldn't find one. He just smiled and said, "You don't understand. An escape hatch isn't needed because anything that can penetrate this thing and we are all dead."

I would imagine that anything that can penetrate the Merkava and the crew is dead.
When one of those tungsten sabos goes through a tank, the thing creates such havoc that what is left of the crew gets sucked right out the exit hole of the projectile.
Nice way to die, eh??
When one of those tungsten sabos goes through a tank, the thing creates such havoc that what is left of the crew gets sucked right out the exit hole of the projectile.
Nice way to die, eh??

Hopefully, they are already dead when they go through that little itty bitty hole.
I know little about tanks. Is the Merkava an Abrams variant or a tank unique to the Israelis?
Originally Posted by pixarezzo
I know little about tanks. Is the Merkava an Abrams variant or a tank unique to the Israelis?

I'm guess on what I've seen so fat it is unique to the Israelis. For one thing it appears the engine is in the front.

Chuck

An emergency escape hatch is interesting because I asked an M1 tanker where was the escape hatch I couldn't find one. He just smiled and said, "You don't understand. An escape hatch isn't needed because anything that can penetrate this thing and we are all dead."

I would imagine that anything that can penetrate the Merkava and the crew is dead.

It has a big over and under clamshell door on the back and can be used in a medevac role.....that is one badass ambulance, Achmed.
Originally Posted by Steve_NO

Chuck

It has a big over and under clamshell door on the back and can be used in a medevac role.....that is one badass ambulance, Achmed.

A clamshell door is not the same thing as an escape hatch which is usually in the floor. There is no way for the driver to get out if the tank receives a hit. There is a hatch for the driver if the turret can be moved to the starboard or port. Otherwise the driver has to climb through a tunnel into the turret and out that way. But if the turret is hit almost a certainty in combat the driver is screwed if he's still alive. According to the tankers that's not likely for the driver or any of the crew if there is direct hit on the tank.
Very interesting thread,read it all. The one thing I will say is the Tiger did not fail because of the superior numbers of shermans,T34's etc. Its major downfall was the loss of air superiority by the Luftwaffe. Even the M1 and the leopard would fail if fighting under un-friendly skies.
My dad was a german partrooper in Normandy and his unit was the ground support for the few tiger 2's in Normandy. They could only move them at night and hide them during the day.
He had several stories of the P47,51's and even the P38 flying around looking for targets of oppertunity,sometimes so low the pilots would wave! They did not dare fire at the planes with their small arms as the entire squadron would decsend and level the area. He always told me a squadron could level a small forest in no time and if you were in there the chance for survival was slim.
Posted By: SU35 Re: Tiger Tank vs. Current Issue - 10/30/09
Hezbolla made mincemeat of the Merkava using AT rockets their last go around.

Older article but still relevant on the M1

Making the best tank better
Abrams fares well in Iraq, but safety upgrades sought

By Sean D. Naylor
Times staff writer

Fighting in conditions far removed from the north European plains for which it was designed, the Abrams tank has proven its value in the war in Iraq, according to the Army�s chief of armor.

Not a single tanker has been killed by a conventional antitank weapon, Maj. Gen. Terry Tucker said Feb. 18. The few fatalities suffered aboard tanks have been caused by roadside bombs or small arms, he said.

Nonetheless, the Army is considering upgrades so the Abrams will prevail on battlefields for the next quarter century. Among changes under consideration for the near term are better protections for the tank�s commander and loader while they fire their machine guns, and a new anti-personnel round for the Abrams� 120mm main gun. The long-term upgrades on Tucker�s mind include improved armor and a new main gun.

About 4,500 troops have served on tanks in Iraq. Of those, three soldiers have been killed inside their tanks by roadside bombs. An additional 10 to 15 crew members have been killed while riding with their heads out of the hatch, standing on the tanks, or, in one case, by an insurgent who climbed onto the tank and shot down into the crew compartment, Tucker said.

�I am unaware of any case where any tanker in Iraq has been killed inside of a tank by a penetration of a tank round or RPG or any other munition,� Tucker said. �It�s a pretty safe place to be.�

About 1,135 Abrams tanks have seen action in Iraq, Tucker said, some more than once. Of those, he said, �probably 70 percent have been hit or damaged in some way. In fact, it�s hard to find an Abrams tank out there that has fought in Iraq that has not been damaged.�

Eighty tanks have sustained damage that required them to be sent back to the United States for repairs, said Tucker, noting that the damage was �fairly minor� in some cases.

�If a seam or a weld was broken, that�s pretty delicate work, and we couldn�t do that in theater, so we�ve brought tanks back to the U.S. for welding repairs,� he said.

�About 63 of those 80 tanks will go back to the fleet,� Tucker said. The remaining 17 �will probably never go back to the fleet.�

Those figures mean that 1 to 1.5 percent of the tanks involved in the fight in Iraq might not return to action. �I�ll take those numbers any day,� Tucker said.

Tucker acknowledged that the loss of even a few Abrams tanks has come as something of a reality check to the armor community. In the 1991 Persian Gulf War, during which Tucker commanded a cavalry squadron, tank combat involved Abrams tanks engaging and destroying their Iraqi counterparts with overwhelming fire in the open desert.

�This fight�s different,� he said. �The enemy�s learned from that. And the technique that they�re using is massed fire against one tank: 14, 18, 20 RPGs � I�ve heard reports of tanks taking 50 RPG hits. It�s a new technique that they�re using, and in fact we�re having some significant damage on tanks that has to be repaired before we put them back in the fight.�

Tucker cited the example of an Abrams with the 3rd Infantry Division that took part in the first �thunder run� into Baghdad. The tank was struck by 14 to 18 rocket-propelled grenades, one of which knocked out the hydraulics system so the crew had to operate the turret manually. Nevertheless, the tank completed the first run and then went on the second, its crew still fighting with the tank in manual mode.

�That crew refused to get off of it, because that tank couldn�t be killed,� he said.

Early problems

Not every Abrams was quite as resilient. Tucker estimated that the number of tanks that had to be temporarily abandoned or pulled out of the fight immediately due to combat damage was �at least 17 and probably in the 20s.�

However, no tanks have been permanently abandoned in Iraq, he said. Even if U.S. forces had to scuttle a damaged tank � in some cases by having another tank fire on it; in others, by having Air Force jets destroy the damaged tank with Maverick missiles � to prevent sensitive equipment from falling into enemy hands, U.S. troops retrieved the carcasses and brought them all back to the United States.

The survival rate of the tank and the crewmen was a testament to the Abrams� design, according to Tucker. �The Abrams tank was designed and built to be able to take the kind of punishment it�s been taking in Iraq, and be repaired and put back into the fight,� he said.

�That tank is designed with the ammunition separated from the crew compartment, and if the ammunition is ignited in the storage compartment, the tank is designed for the back of the turret to blow out, so the fire and the explosion goes outward, as opposed to inward, so you don�t injure or kill the crew.�

The general estimated that Iraqi insurgents have used a dozen different types of RPGs against the Abrams in Iraq. �My concern is that in the future we�ll see more of the newer types, which are more powerful and have more capability,� he said.

But contrary to rumor, there is no indication that any �exotic� antitank rounds � including foreign-made missiles such as the Milan, new versions of the RPG, or new tank main gun rounds � have been used against the Abrams in Iraq, the general said.

Other than a couple of enormous custom-made bombs, the Abrams and its crews have survived everything enemy forces in Iraq have thrown at it. Meanwhile, officials plotting the future of the Abrams are not resting on their laurels, according to Tucker.

�We still think of the Abrams tank as the king of the fight, and I�m here to tell you that it is, but I�m also here to tell you that the Abrams tank is 25 years old,� he said.

�We�ve improved it a lot over the years ... but it�s still a 1980 tank, and we have more work to do to keep the Abrams tank king of the battlefield for the next 25 years, because 25 years from now, when the American Army goes to fight, it will go to fight in Abrams tanks.�

In the near term, the Army has studied how the Abrams has fared in Iraq and come up with a series of improvements that it refers to collectively as the tank urban survivability kit.

But these capabilities are not funded in the Army budget, said Maj. Chad Young, assistant product manager for M1, M1A1 and the survivability kit. The service has not yet finalized how much it would cost to put the kit on each tank, Young said.

A program that is funded and will be fielded to tank units in Iraq �probably this summer,� according to Tucker, is an anti-personnel canister round (�a big shotgun round,� Tucker calls it) for the Abrams� 120mm main gun.

Meanwhile, looking farther into the future, �the Abrams tank needs to become more lethal ... [and] more survivable than it is now,� Tucker said. �It�s fairly easy to make it more lethal and more survivable,� he continued. �The challenge is going to be to do that while we try to make it lighter and more mobile.�

Studying new armor

To solve the mobility problem, the Army is examining new types of composite armor and electrified armor that have the potential to be lighter, yet provide a greater level of protection than the highly classified composite armor package with which the Abrams is presently equipped, according to Tucker.

In 2008, Army will begin to field its next-generation family of combat vehicles, the Future Combat Systems. That won�t mean the end for the Abrams, which is scheduled to serve until at least 2040. In fact, the first FCS-equipped unit of action will probably include one FCS battalion and one battalion of Abrams tanks and Bradley fighting vehicles, Tucker said.

From (http://www.marinetimes.com/story.php?f=0-MARINEPAPER-710058.php)
Originally Posted by Kamerad_Les
They are CDAT's now, Computerized Dumb Ass Tanker, the only thing on the battle field armor wise that can take out an M-1 is a Leopard with the 120mm or another M1A2 SEP.

In GW 2, an Abrams took either 4 or 6 hits from an Iraqi T72 copy firing what ever their equivilent of the DU round is..A testiment to its remarkable armour and design, none penerated the hull, although all embedded. The crew survived, but the tank was taken out of the line for repairs. I suspect the T72 crew are style waiting for their 216 virgins to show up.

On another instance a Abrams hull was breached and crew injured by an RPG29...I think that incident may have been pre SEP upgrade. A couple have also been lost to EOD's or should I say BAB's (Big Ass Bombs)...In both GW1 and GW2 more were lost to FF incidents involving Hellfire missiles than to enemy action...

The APFSDS round we are using can defeat the turret armour of the M1 but its thought to be marginal against the glacis plate at the front..The same type of round completely wiped out the turrent of Challenger 2 in a FF incident during GW2, but that was at very close range...

I know somebody who was very high up in the parent company of Alvis who made our Warrior AFV and he was adament that in another FF incident, the rear doors of a Warrior withstood a direct hit from a Challenger at fairly short range...Personally, I'm guessing it was a HESH round not a DU, but I'm not sure..

With regards the escape hatches on the Israeli tank...They are there because in one of the earlier conflicts, they lost a lot of tank crews climbing out of the top of disabled tanks...

The Brits are learning that lesson the hard way. In one engagement in a town in southern Iraq, one of the Challengers through a track while trying to retreat out of an ambush in one of the cramped streets. I'm not sure how long the crew were stuck there until reinforcements could get them out, but the tank was reputed to have been hit with up to *70* RPG7 and sh1t loads of small arms fire...They were eventually rescued and the tank was repaired and back in service the next day, having only minor damage to optics and antennas ect..

The Chobham/DU armour on the Abrams and the second generation Chobham on the Challenger 2 is currently the best armour in the world, but its not invincible. The Abrams actually has more armour than the Challenger2 which is reflected by its heavier weight, but following an RPG29 incident, the Challenger has been up armoured yet again so the game continues just as it did in WW1 and WW2.

The down side is that it takes millions of ���� or $$$$$ to design and upgrade our vehicles, but all Ahmed has to do is dig a bigger hole and fill it with more explosive..

Regards,

Peter

A clamshell door is not the same thing as an escape hatch which is usually in the floor.

nobody said it was....I was elaborating on exactly what that rear exit on the Israeli tank is........it ain't a hatch, it's a big ass clamshell blast door you can walk in and out of.
Originally Posted by 257STEW
Very interesting thread,read it all. The one thing I will say is the Tiger did not fail because of the superior numbers of shermans,T34's etc. Its major downfall was the loss of air superiority by the Luftwaffe. Even the M1 and the leopard would fail if fighting under un-friendly skies.
My dad was a german partrooper in Normandy and his unit was the ground support for the few tiger 2's in Normandy. They could only move them at night and hide them during the day.
He had several stories of the P47,51's and even the P38 flying around looking for targets of oppertunity,sometimes so low the pilots would wave! They did not dare fire at the planes with their small arms as the entire squadron would decsend and level the area. He always told me a squadron could level a small forest in no time and if you were in there the chance for survival was slim.

Very interesting indeed.
Thanks for sharing.
Originally Posted by Steve_NO

A clamshell door is not the same thing as an escape hatch which is usually in the floor.

nobody said it was....I was elaborating on exactly what that rear exit on the Israeli tank is........it ain't a hatch, it's a big ass clamshell blast door you can walk in and out of.

I think it has the escape hatch in the floor as well..
It as built from scratch to meet Israeli requirements from lessons they've learned the hard way.

Its not a bad vehicle, in fact its a very good one, but up until the Mk3, its armour technology was way behind what the Brits & the US was using. In fact the Israeli's were using "spaced" armour and used the space to store desiel fuel!
Speaking of the Israeli's, what ever happend to that anti-tank cluster munition they were working on that would target the top of the tank's turret?
??
Not sure about the Israeli's, but there are a few AT systems that have a top attack option. Those and the twin war head systems like the RPG29 and the later Charlie-G's, are a significant threat to MBT's. The first war head is designed to detonate an MBT's reactive armour and the second then penerates the hull..

I used to drive one of our small Fox armoured cars (CVR-W) that was used for armoured recce and that was 1960's technology with a aluminium armour hull and turret. It makes me shudder to think of it being hit by an RPG7, never mind the newer generation of stuff. We are still using upgraded Scimitars which were the tracked vehicle in the series, again with aluminium armour. Every time I saw pictures of them in Basra, I thought those crew earned every penny of their wages...

Regards,

Peter
Originally Posted by Gene L
They rebuilt a Tiger on that show "Tank Overhaul." It had been sitting in a river in Poland for decades.

nope, it was a Panther. jorge
That Panzer rescued from Poland was a Panther.

She'd be covered.
© 24hourcampfire