Home
I was in Wyoming hunting recently and rad across some boot grease in a metal can called Huberd's Shoe Grease. Some other guys in my group used it and liked it. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about it.
Thanks
Jed
Use it? I practically grew up on the stuff.

strong bones!! Yummy!!

[Linked Image]
I just asked this question a few days ago and didn't get much response in the backpacking forum on the beeswax thread. I did use it for a few years on my Whites and was pleased with the results but, I think, I heard something about some of the incredients not performing well over the long run or something .... any way maybe some will have more info. It seems that beeswax is the more considered for waterproofing. The Huberds did condition well and soak in to the leather well. Wearing them daily at one point they had to be resoled every 6-8 months and rebuilt every 18 - 24 months.
I used it all the time years ago. Good stuff, way better than sno-seal. Ran out and nobody carries it down here that I can find.

BCR
actually i been using this stuff & I don't eat it unless I'm realllly hungry.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by jedgreen
I was in Wyoming hunting recently and rad across some boot grease in a metal can called Huberd's Shoe Grease. Some other guys in my group used it and liked it. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about it.
Thanks
Jed
If yer shoes are so tight ya need grease to get 'em on, you need a new pair..

Yeah, I know.. I just hadda say it.. laugh
My dad swears by the stuff. He grew up the son of a moonshiner in the Washington woods and worked in the woods growing up. I don't know if it's changed over the years but anytime I get a new pair of boots he asks me if I got any Hubbards.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Huberd's Shoe Grease Company, Inc.
[email protected]
PO box 2052
Snowflake, AZ 85937
Phone: 1-800-366-5723
Fax: 928-536-3507
Emptied several cans of Hubred's for my boots, always seem OK.
I think Obenauf's is a better product and have used it on the last half dozen or so pair of Logger type of boots.

http://www.obenaufs.com/product_inf...;osCsid=5e3bd1d93b2bb67d9ef140aaaa008d94
I use it on my leather boots with good results if I apply it a couple times yearly. I apply it in mid summer and wear them often for a while to air them out as the shoe grease has a strong smell.

It also helps to warm the boots before applying.
Dad used to use Crisco to waterproof his leather boots. Then, he got some bear fat from his brother-in-law and used that until the jar was empty.

Then, he got the wild idea to render down the fat from a doe he got about 15 years ago (Mother still hasn't forgiven him for that, because he did it on her stove in one of her pots).

He's got to brush the mold off his boots before he goes out hunting, but he's working on a pair of Wolverines that are at least 35 years old...

Me, I wear Gore Tex for my regular boots and I'm not sure what I put on my leather pac boots the last time...some wax-based paste I got at Dick's. I can't do the deer-fat thing to my Lacrosse pacs...

Aqualung
I grew up with Hubbards boot grease (lots of fond memories of sitting by the wood stove brushing it on) and it does in fact keep water out of your boots. HOWEVER, it's a petroleum based product and will rot your leather and stitching, so if you own quality boots that you plan to keep long enough for a resoling, then I'd suggest Obenauffs instead. I've been using Obenauffs for the last 14yrs.
© 24hourcampfire