Home
Posted By: Skalkaho Ken Howell status - 01/18/10
Last night, Dr. Howell took a bad fall. Fortunately, he was on the phone with a friend at the time, and the friend was able to call 911 for him. He went by ambulance to the hospital in Springerville, Arizona.

My most recent information is that he has a bowel obstruction, a mass in his colon, and fluid in his lungs. He has a tube down his esophagus to relieve intestinal pressure, and he was resting comfortably. I don't have any reliable prognosis to relay right now.

He has no computer access, and he can't talk on the phone because of the gastric tube; neither my sister nor I have been able to talk to him directly. I'm sure he would appreciate your prayers and well wishes, but there are no specific needs at the moment. I will post updates as appropriate.
Posted By: Huntr Re: Ken Howell status - 01/18/10
He certainly has my prayers... Thanks for letting us know!
Posted By: RickyD Re: Ken Howell status - 01/18/10
Thanks for the news, unwelcome though it is.

Ken has my prayers and best wishes.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Ken Howell status - 01/18/10
Appreciate the updates...

Ingwe
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Ken Howell status - 01/18/10
Prayers for him and his family!
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Ken Howell status - 01/18/10
I think we all have a collective broken heart over the failing health of our good friend Ken. My prayers go out to Ken. kwg
Posted By: kend Re: Ken Howell status - 01/18/10
Getting old sucks. I hope I can be half the man he is when my time comes.
Posted By: 4xbear Re: Ken Howell status - 01/18/10
Prayers on the way
Posted By: Pete E Re: Ken Howell status - 01/18/10
Thank you for the update. Ken will be in many peoples thoughts and prayers right now...I am not a believer, but I am sure Kens faith will bring his great comfort and solice...

Regards,

Peter
Posted By: 340boy Re: Ken Howell status - 01/18/10
Originally Posted by kend
Getting old sucks. I hope I can be half the man he is when my time comes.

Ken has been thorough an awful lot these past few years, it seems.

I will keep him in my prayers.
Posted By: SU35 Re: Ken Howell status - 01/18/10
Thanks for letting us know Ben.
Please let your dad know he's in my/our thoughts and prayers.
Posted By: tbear99 Re: Ken Howell status - 01/18/10
thanks for update will be in prayers
Posted By: 6mm250 Re: Ken Howell status - 01/18/10
PRAYERS for Dr Howell

Mike
Posted By: BMT Re: Ken Howell status - 01/18/10
Thanks for letting us know.

Prayers sent.

BMT
Posted By: T LEE Re: Ken Howell status - 01/18/10
Originally Posted by kwg020
I think we all have a collective broken heart over the failing health of our good friend Ken. My prayers go out to Ken. kwg

A M E N Brother Kris. He will continue in my prayers.
Posted By: Mako25 Re: Ken Howell status - 01/18/10
If I'm understanding this, the original poster is Dr. Howell's son. I can think of no finer tribute, than to have edited the initial post.

Mr. Howell is one of the best writers I've had the pleasure to read.

I wish him all the best - whatever that may be.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Ken Howell status - 01/18/10
I wish Ken the best. We'll keep him in our prayers.
Posted By: Scott_Thornley Re: Ken Howell status - 01/18/10
Ken is definitely in my thoughts. I was actually hoping to hear of a status report earlier today, but am saddened to read of his hospitalization.

Scott
Posted By: 300Takedown Re: Ken Howell status - 01/18/10
Thanks for the update. He's in our prayers.
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Ken Howell status - 01/18/10
Yup, Prayers from SE Az.

GTC
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
Please tell him our thoughts and prayers are with him. - Denny
Posted By: oulufinn Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
Been thinking of him. Hope he gets to healin' up.
Posted By: Dobetown Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
Prayers of course. Does anyone know his age?
Thanks
Posted By: derby_dude Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
Sorry to hear about Ken. Thanks for the up date.
Posted By: djs Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
Thanks for the update. Let us know the status as you learn it. Sorry to hear the news.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
Prayers sent from Michigan.
Posted By: denton Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
Sure hope he gets feeling better. I certainly have a lot of respect for the man.
Posted By: OK4ster Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
Sorry to hear of Dr. Howell's fall and the other problems. Will keep him in my prayers. Wishing him a rapid recovery.

RLD
Posted By: GrizzlyBear Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
That is one TOUGH gentleman. Prayers sent.
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
Amazing how such a nice guy can be so darn tough.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
Prayers sent.

Ed
Posted By: CCCC Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
Pardon the delay - I would have sent all of you this info earlier had I known the thread was going and if I had not been so consumed with dear friend Ken himself.

Last night Ken called me here at home (about 1/2 hour away) to say that he had collapsed and could not rise. Of course, I rushed off through the forest to get to him as quickly as possible and found him with bleeding head wounds from the fall, exhausted from attempting to rise and discouraged with his inability to get it done himself.

The EMT folks arrived and did their thorough routine, which confirmed that Ken was weak and not maintaining sufficient blood oxygen saturation. Although his speech was sparse, Ken was eloquent and, as always, wanting to maintain his independence. Feeling grateful to have been there to hold him in my arms and then convince him to take the hour ride to the hospital to be "checked out", I felt that the situation was life threatening. Subsequent conversations with doctors and nurses have confirmed that fear.

Today has been a day of testing, speculation and then convincing Ken to move forward with transport to a major hospital for surgery that may well preserve the life of our friend. I pray so. At the moment I am awaiting more information with the hope - and expectation - that Ken will be headed for further help in the next short while.

Posted By: T LEE Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
Thank you for the report and going so rapidly to his aid. Prayers continue and will no matter the outcome.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
Originally Posted by Skalkaho
Last night, Dr. Howell took a bad fall. Fortunately, he was on the phone with a friend at the time, and the friend was able to call 911 for him. He went by ambulance to the hospital in Springerville, Arizona.

My most recent information is that he has a bowel obstruction, a mass in his colon, and fluid in his lungs. He has a tube down his esophagus to relieve intestinal pressure, and he was resting comfortably. I don't have any reliable prognosis to relay right now.

He has no computer access, and he can't talk on the phone because of the gastric tube; neither my sister nor I have been able to talk to him directly. I'm sure he would appreciate your prayers and well wishes, but there are no specific needs at the moment. I will post updates as appropriate.
He's a good guy. Prayers sent.
Posted By: Popapi Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
Prayers sent.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
Prayers from Savannah.
Posted By: Ruger 4570 Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
It is so sad to know our collective Good Friend is suffering. My continued prayers to the Lord to look after Ken.
Posted By: MtnHtr Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
Thank you for the update and prayers sent for Mr. Howell.

MtnHtr
Posted By: specialK Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
Prayers sent. Kelly
Posted By: THOMASMAGNUM Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
Just caught up with all of this, after receiving word from Darby this a.m.. Paul thank you so much for being there for our friend.

I visited Ken on Saturday and we had a wonderful visit. We chatted and joked. I left early sunday morning, after a brief chat with Ken. He is truly one of my favorite people. I treasure being able to call him my friend. He, as always is in my families prayers.

Posted By: safariman Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
Will be Praying for Ken as soon as I hit SUBMIT on this.
Posted By: shootinurse Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
Skalkaho and CCCC, thanks so much for your aid to Ken, and your updates for us. Please keep us posted, and relay our thoughts and prayers to him.
Mike
Posted By: okie Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
Prayers from Oklahoma...Teri sends more hugs too...
Posted By: BCBrian Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
He's in my thoughts. I sure enjoy reading his posts.
Posted By: SnowHunter Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
sending prayers for Dr Howell
Posted By: Violator22 Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
Dammit, I am so saddened to hear this, Ken, you are in my prayers. Les
Posted By: BarryC Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
God bless Ken! Get well and write some more!
Posted By: dave09 Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
May God look out for Dr. Howell! Dave in NW AZ.
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
May God bless him....

Lynn
Posted By: 1akhunter Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
wishing the ole boy the best

whatever the best for him may be.
Posted By: Steven_CO Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
Haven't the words. Wish him well.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
I really hate to hear of things getting even rougher for Ken. He's been through way more than anybody should have to.
Posted By: norm99 Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
Skalkaho and CCCC thank you both for keeoing us informed ,prayers are being sent and will continue ,that he will have the strength to have whatever procedures that need to be done and for a compleate recovery,may God be with him in his time of need.
Norm
Posted By: tbear Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
Thanks for the update. I called some time ago & we discussed his time at the Washington Navy Yard during WWII, his military service in general, & obviously hunting & guns. He sounded quite weak at the time, but was still mentally sharp. Just knowing Mr. Howell has been a privilege. Hope everything goes as well as can be expected.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10

Sorry to hear of this news. I will pray for Mr. Howell.

Prayers sent, God Bless
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
I wish Ken had one of those wear around your neck buttons for emergencies like this one. Had he not been on the phone, things could have turned out worse.
Prayers for his recovery on the way.
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
Ken continues to be in my thoughts and prayers. I have a father-in-law and a dear friend who are in similar positions as their journeys through life near the end. I wish each of them peace and comfort.

Paul
Posted By: jpb Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I wish Ken had one of those wear around your neck buttons for emergencies like this one. Had he not been on the phone, things could have turned out worse.
Prayers for his recovery on the way.

If Ken would wear one of these emergency devices (he might not, or maybe there would not be coverage in his area) I would contribute $50 to the cost if somebody in the US could organize it (I am on the other side of the Atlantic).

Seriously.

John
Posted By: CEJ1895 Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
Prayers sent! Thanks for the updates.. Lord, please watch over him..
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Prayers sent from Michigan.

More prayers from Michigan.
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
Don't know if Texas prayers work , but plenty of them have been said .
Posted By: g5m Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
Prayers sent.
Thanks for the update. What will be will be. We wait.

BCR
Posted By: texasbatman Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
I am praying for a full recovery. Get well soon Ken.

Jim
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
When I came to the campfire over 6 years ago, the forums were made up of knowlegable, respectful, friendly people. Of late it seems there has been an influx of trolls, troublemakers, and mouthy wiseguys. It saddens me to lose yet another one of the GREAT contributors. I will certainly miss reading him. Maybe it's me, but as I get older I am less tolerent of disrespectful, greedy, mouthy knowitalls!!! Thoughts and prayers for Dr. Howell.
Posted By: Grizzly_Bill Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
More prayers for Ken from Wisconsin.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Ken Howell status - 01/19/10
I have started a new thread "Happy Birthday KEN HOWELL" to enable further celebration of the man and as a means for ongoing updates. The latest info on his recovery can be found there. Thanks for all of your comments, prayers and support on behalf of Ken.
CCCC
© 24hourcampfire