Home
Posted By: FAIR_CHASE Man vs Wild in Montana - 01/21/10
For those that watched Man vs Wild last night, any ideas where in MT Bear Grylls was filming??
Posted By: ingwe Re: Man vs Wild in Montana - 01/21/10
Probably someplace close to a Ramada Inn....

Ingwe
Posted By: bbassi Re: Man vs Wild in Montana - 01/21/10
exactly.

poser.
Posted By: Sako Re: Man vs Wild in Montana - 01/21/10
Bear Grylls = one of the top fakes on TV
Posted By: akjeff Re: Man vs Wild in Montana - 01/21/10
If it's anything like his AK series, it'll be a joke. I hesitate to call him an outright liar, but anyone with rudimentary knowledge of AK geography, could see he was hundreds of miles away from being near the Arctic Circle, as was implied by the show. My guess is, he was in the Valdez-Cordova area, or thereabouts.

The show is pretty much theatrics. Anyone in a survival situation in a remote area, would have to be an idiot to pull the stunts he pulls.

Jeff
Posted By: rkamp Re: Man vs Wild in Montana - 01/21/10
Originally Posted by Sako

Hard to sit through an entire episode of his, you learn nothing. NATGEO had an episode on recently where a guy was dropped of in AK. He had a rifle, shotgun, and ample food stock. He barely made it 40 days or so before he threw in the towel. You learned what not to do, but at least learned something.
Originally Posted by ingwe

Ingwe

The " Complimentary Continental Breakfasts" are what really keeps him alive.... grin

Ingwe
Posted By: rattler Re: Man vs Wild in Montana - 01/21/10
most the crap Bear shows yah will get yah killed, havent watched an episode since the first couple i watched.....i do like Les Shrouds Survivorman though.....he said he refuses to have anyone with him(though he started having a saftey crew a mile off due to concerns by those insuring him halfway into the second season)....heard him say in an interview that generally by day 3 if he had a camera man with him he would be tackling the guy for a granola bar grin
Posted By: derby_dude Re: Man vs Wild in Montana - 01/21/10
There's only three groups I'm interested in to learn survival skills from: SEALS, Rangers, and Special Forces. Those guys are survivalists.

Oh ya, the hunter/killer snipers teams can be thrown in there too.

I will say that my survival training in the Army National Guard was conducted by Ranger or Special Forces instructors.

These reality survival TV shows are just entertainment. Those so called survival experts wouldn't last 5 minutes with any SEAL, Ranger, or SF type.
Posted By: FAIR_CHASE Re: Man vs Wild in Montana - 01/21/10
I agree w/everyone as my only entertainment in watching the episode last night was trying to determine where in MT. Based on all the stuff he found, he wasn't very far from a road.
Posted By: prm Re: Man vs Wild in Montana - 01/21/10
Umm, Bear Grylls was in the British SAS, he also climbed Everest. Yes, the shows are just entertainment, but I suspect he can hold his own just fine in the real world. ...and even against internet "experts".
Posted By: derby_dude Re: Man vs Wild in Montana - 01/21/10
Originally Posted by prm
Umm, Bear Grylls was in the British SAS, he also climbed Everest. Yes, the shows are just entertainment, but I suspect he can hold his own just fine in the real world. ...and even against internet "experts".

I had never heard of the guy to be honest until this thread.

I just know that all those reality TV survival shows are entertainment. Personally, if I had been in the SAS I wouldn't degrade my SAS time by a reality TV survival show.
Originally Posted by prm

No doubt, but his program could be so much more. Now where did I put my hemroid doughnut....
Posted By: elelbean Re: Man vs Wild in Montana - 01/21/10
Originally Posted by akjeff

The show is pretty much theatrics. Anyone in a survival situation in a remote area, would have to be an idiot to pull the stunts he pulls.

Jeff

Yeah. I've seen him jump 30 feet off a cliff into supposedly "unkown" waters because there was no other way down. What a great survival tip to give to people watching the program. Not much of a danger at all.
Posted By: Jough Re: Man vs Wild in Montana - 01/21/10
I agree that Bear can probably hold his own in the real world, however, I have lost nearly all interest in the show since last nights episode.

He starts off by para gliding off a well traversed peak called Hardscrabble, in the Bridger mountains right outside of Bozeman. He lands in Fairy Lake, which is a quarter mile from a parking lot and forest service road. You can see the hiking trail when he climbs out of the lake...

He then attempts to climb down what appears to be part of the trail up to Hardscrabble/Sacajawea, completely out of chronological order.

Scenery switches and he ends up in some very large lake which appears to be somewhere around central montana? Too few mountains to be Flathead, but too many to be Ft. Peck? Maybe someone can elaborate on where he may be.

At the end of the show, he changes locations again and ends up on a railroad. The scenery indicates that he is most likely on the tracks in Northern Montana which run through Havre, rather than the ones that run through Bozeman.

And, all this time, I thought he was actually surviving the wilderness frown
Oh yeah, and the waterfalls appear to be Palisade Falls by Hyalite reservoir, again by Bozeman; a ten minute hike.
Posted By: prm Re: Man vs Wild in Montana - 01/21/10
No worries. He apparently got out of the SAS after breaking his back in a parachute accident. Now he's just like us looking for ways to make a living. He's managed to do it by going all around the world spending time in the outdoors doing things he likes. I can't fault that. Also, regarding qualifications, he climbed Ama Dablam which is not for beginners.

As for the show, yes it's just a show, not exactly reality.
Bozeman has a Ramada Inn....doesn't it??

Ingwe
Haha, yes, Bozeman does in fact have a Ramada.
Posted By: Pete E Re: Man vs Wild in Montana - 01/21/10
I've never liked Bear Grylls based on his phoney TV shows and him being a publicity-whore..

However, I did see him at a book signing where there was no camers, just a few folk who'd bought some of his survival books...He was much less arogant, and spent quite a bit of time talking to the kids ect, so perhaps its just his TV personna that is crap!
Posted By: rattler Re: Man vs Wild in Montana - 01/21/10
i dont doubt that Bear is the real deal, he just doesnt show it on his shows.....Les shows yah he is really out there and miserable and shows his screw ups....
Posted By: Violator22 Re: Man vs Wild in Montana - 01/21/10
I like Les a bit more, he seems a bit off keel if'n ya ask me though, I'd buy that Canuck a beer. I just can't buy off on Bear's stuff, but he has a viewing audience, most of them are folks that wish they could do even a quarter of what bear is doing. Anyone watch that Apocalypse Man show on history channel yet?
Posted By: Whip Re: Man vs Wild in Montana - 01/21/10
I think he stayed at Motel 6. They've got DIY waffles there, which definitely makes him a survivalist.
Posted By: NeBassman Re: Man vs Wild in Montana - 01/21/10
Originally Posted by Kamerad_Les
Anyone watch that Apocalypse Man show on history channel yet?

I caught the last part of it the other night, definatley some things I had not thought of if SHTF.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Man vs Wild in Montana - 01/21/10
We happened to see Bear's show during the holidays at a relatives home. Fortunately, we can't get it here.

It's appears to be simply a series of contrived events to appear as a trek of some sort.

In one episode we saw, he comes to a fairly steep bluff with a river below. Of course he can't walk around to a lower slope (that could be seen). The "only way down is to rappel using the ever-present rope on his obviously empty backpack - that magically holds so much gear.

As he ties off the rope, I said, "watch! When he gets to the bottom, the rope will still be on the back pack." Sure 'nuff!

Then he proceeded to build a raft that he tips over intentionally because the river is just soooo dangerous.

The only thing dangerous is anyone looking for sound tips.

Originally Posted by Whip
I think he stayed at Motel 6. They've got DIY waffles there, which definitely makes him a survivalist.

No doubt covered in bear crap and washed down with his own urine grin
Posted By: Hemi Re: Man vs Wild in Montana - 01/21/10
Originally Posted by ingwe

Ingwe

Doooh! LMAO

For a guy who is suppose to be showing you how to survive he sure takes A LOT of "risks" that are not necessary. All for the shock value I am sure and as you said, who cares if you jump into a frozen lake when you are trying to survive, espcially when you can jump into the hot tub at the Ramada Inn your staying at.

Hemi
Posted By: Hubert Re: Man vs Wild in Montana - 01/21/10
Originally Posted by akjeff
If it's anything like his AK series, it'll be a joke. I hesitate to call him an outright liar, but anyone with rudimentary knowledge of AK geography, could see he was hundreds of miles away from being near the Arctic Circle, as was implied by the show. My guess is, he was in the Valdez-Cordova area, or thereabouts.

Jeff

If it the one I started to watch he parachuted into the wilderness 100 miles from anyplace. if you look closley in the first 5 min you can see some buildings in the far background. what a joke.
Posted By: btb375 Re: Man vs Wild in Montana - 01/21/10
Iread somewhere that Bear's show's are reinactments of actual situations.
Fact I believe the streamer at the show beginings says so.
There's also a disclaimer that says he gets support from others during the show.
Yes, it's entertainment, aren't they all?
Does any one think the Survivor series is anything else?
Posted By: RugerM77270 Re: Man vs Wild in Montana - 01/21/10
I saw it last night he had to climb to the top of a "200ft" railroad bridge then swing out on a chair to get ontop of the bridge. But when he got there if you looked in the background you could see a hill that went up to the bridge a few hundred yards away.
Posted By: MtnHtr Re: Man vs Wild in Montana - 01/21/10
Bear Grylls - Biography

Youngest British climber to reach the summit of Mt. Everest . (In aid of SSAFA Forces Help, the Tri-Services Charity.)

Youngest British climber to reach the summit of Mt. Ama Dablam, Himalaya, (once described by Sir Edmund Hillary as 'unclimbable'.)

1994-1997
Served with the British SAS (21 SAS). Passed UK Special Forces Selection, serving as a sabre soldier, trained in unarmed combat, desert and winter warfare, combat survival, medics, parachuting, signals, evasive driving, climbing and explosives. Served in North Africa twice. In late 1996 Bear broke his back in a free fall parachuting accident in southern Africa.

MtnHtr
Posted By: djs Re: Man vs Wild in Montana - 01/21/10
He has had a controversial background. While he apparently was in the British Special Air Services (SAS), there are contradictions from his mates. see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_Grylls
Posted By: djs Re: Man vs Wild in Montana - 01/21/10
Hey guys, it's just a TV "reality" show.
Posted By: Big_Papa Re: Man vs Wild in Montana - 01/21/10
Thay should add a subtitle to the name of the show. WHAT NOT TO DO IF YOU WANT TO SURVIVE. When miles from civilization you don't run down loose rocky slopes or jump into water you don't know the depth of or put yourself at risk of broken bones,food poisoning,hypothermia well you get my point.

Originally Posted by rkamp
Originally Posted by Sako

Hard to sit through an entire episode of his, you learn nothing. NATGEO had an episode on recently where a guy was dropped of in AK. He had a rifle, shotgun, and ample food stock. He barely made it 40 days or so before he threw in the towel. You learned what not to do, but at least learned something.

I caught that show too. I thought it was real good. The guy basically snapped. Thought it was a good representation of just how hard it would be to survive in situation like that.
Posted By: gibb Re: Man vs Wild in Montana - 01/21/10
Always thought it should be "Man adapts to Nature" instead of "Man Vs Nature".
I was wondering where last night's episode was shot. It's not a "how to" show. It's entertainment, and I get that from it. My kids love it, and it's actually something pretty cool for us to watch as a family. Call him all the names you want, when I overhear my kids playing in the windbreak out in the pasture and they're building shelters and setting traps playing "Man V Wild" I get warm and fuzzy. Why all the venom directed at the man?
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Man vs Wild in Montana - 01/21/10
It's show business. Gotta entertain the viewers, especially those who don't know anything about the outdoors. As others have said, try that stuff Bear presents in his shows and videos in a real survival situation, you'll end up deader than a burnt boot.

There are informative survival videos made by Ron Hood that offer a great deal of practical methods of outdoor survival. Hood has been practicing and teaching outdoor survival for many years and is an accomplished outdoorsman.

He also was a U.S. Army ASA team member (Army Security Agency), serving in Turkey and then 18 months in Vietnam, where he was wounded. (The first U.S. Army soldier killed in Vietnam, was an ASA team member.)

Hood and his wife, Karen, have long been in the "survival business" and know the subject.

L.W.

I am a member of Hoods Woods and enjoy the Hoodlums fourm alot I spend more time there then here. I don't post alot there becouse with such a great group and so much knowledge I don't need to add anything. I'v wounderd how many here are Hoodlums?
Posted By: tangozulu Re: Man vs Wild in Montana - 01/21/10
If your gonna watch "reality shows", stick with Survivor. At least the bikini's are real.
One cannot survive on bikini clad wemon alone must have beer.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
I was wondering where last night's episode was shot. It's not a "how to" show. It's entertainment, and I get that from it. My kids love it, and it's actually something pretty cool for us to watch as a family. Call him all the names you want, when I overhear my kids playing in the windbreak out in the pasture and they're building shelters and setting traps playing "Man V Wild" I get warm and fuzzy. Why all the venom directed at the man?

No venom, just a few snow balls.
Posted By: buffybr Re: Man vs Wild in Montana - 01/21/10
I didn't see the Montana hang gliding show, but last fall I had coffee with a guy that was involved with the production of that show.

The hang gliding portion took two or three days to film with Bear gliding off the crest of the Bridger mountains and landing in Fairy lake. This is located about 20 miles north east of Bozeman. They only had a one day Forest Service permit for landing the helicopter on top of the Bridgers. The filming crew and Bear spent every night in a motel in Bozeman.

Several years ago, the Forest Service reconstructed the trail from the parking lot and Fairy lake campground down to Fairy lake as handicap accessible.

And like I said, I didn't see the show, but someone else posted that another part if this show was filmed at Palisade Falls, which is located about 20 miles south of Bozeman (40 miles by paved road from Fairy lake), and is accessed by a handicap accessible paved trail.

Both Fairy lake and Palisade Falls are visited by hundreds if not thousands of people every year.

This isn't the truth, it's Hollywood.

Posted By: Big_Papa Re: Man vs Wild in Montana - 01/22/10
Billygoat I'v nothing against the man I just don't think some of the chances he takes like I stated running down broken rock slopes and climbing a rock face when it would be safer to go around is good info for people like your boys. I think it great that thay want to play and practice survival. I would as L.W. suggested get some of Ron Hoods vidos and watch them thay are entertaining and the best info for those who want to learn.Some of the thing on Man V Wild could end up with broken bones or dead.
Thanks for the Ron Hoods videos tip, I'd not heard of him. All I see the show as is entertainment. I'm in full agreement if a person did what he does, they'd more than likely end up dead. I just think it's really neat all the different locations across the globe he's shown. If somebody actually thought of this show as a survival guide, then they're dumb enough to get what's coming to them. To me the show beats some mindless sitcom. I honestly don't care if he spends his nights in a motel. That story broke a long time ago. I just get tired of the unending pummeling Grills takes on the 'net.

I like to watch Mythbusters as well. I don't think anyone would espouse trying to recreate their experiments either.
Posted By: Sako Re: Man vs Wild in Montana - 01/22/10
Originally Posted by prm

Not saying he was not but he is a liar. Caught on tape staying at a hotel while he was claiming to be "outback".... also claiming to be trying to tame a wild horse.... actually it came out that they had rented the horse from the rancher that owned the land he was on.... and of course this came out after people saw the horse shoes on the "wild horse"
Posted By: prm Re: Man vs Wild in Montana - 01/22/10
Well, claiming one thing and doing another is not cool. I agree there. I guess I don't take the show that seriously, just look at is playing in the woods vice some actual survival situation.
Posted By: Bull_Elk Re: Man vs Wild in Montana - 01/22/10
Not sure about the mountain scenes but the railroad crap was shot somewhere between Denton and the Hanover trestle NW of Lewistown on the CMR railroad. If you've ever taken a ride on the Charlie Russell Choo Chew, you've been there. A train travels those tracks so rarely that I'd bet a paycheck they hired the train to chase his but out of that tunnel. And that trestle is impressive but why not just walk up out of the coulee on either end. I couldn't help but think what a dumb Azz. All hollywood hype, no guts, just feathers
JMO
Posted By: elelbean Re: Man vs Wild in Montana - 01/22/10
I always gets a kick out this video. I'm sure most of you have seen it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UpSlpvb1is
© 24hourcampfire