Home
Powell Favors Repeal of �Don�t Ask, Don�t Tell�
By PETER BAKER

Gen. Colin L. Powell, who as the nation�s top military officer in the 1990s opposed allowing gay men and lesbians to serve openly in the military, switched gears today and threw his support behind efforts to end the �don�t ask, don�t tell� law he helped shepherd in.

Colin Powell Article
How much time do you think Powell has spent in a barracks with a bunch of GI's (or in a foxhole for that matter) in his entire military career???

Yep, he should know all about it........

that doesn't surprise me in the least. I'm sure Obama called him and said, bro, give me some cover here.
my brutha......
no axe to grind here...but you might want to check his record, specifically the 60's early 70's.

Charlie
he served in Vietnam as an adviser with ARVN unit in 63, and was wounded stepping on a punji stake. did a second tour as a major in late 60s, staff officer in the Americal division.

not a lot of foxhole time. he was always a political type. still is.
wikipedia snapshot...good job

Charlie
Figures huh?
got a bronze star for something, too

very highly thought of by some people I respect, but always too liberal and too political for my taste
I honor and grieve EVERY dead soldier and thank them in my prayers for their sacrifice. I never thought that I should give a thought about their sexual orienation.

Originally Posted by 700LH
Figures huh?

huh?

Intellectual honesty seems high on demand from some....but really short on delivery, from Washington and elsewhere. crazy g'night

Charlie
If Republicans had any sense he'd be the first African American in the White House.....not the #@!%$&^ we have now!
I wouldn't vote for him, repub or not.Even if he had won the MOH. I know people who served with and under him, and none have much good to say about the man.
Originally Posted by chas05
Originally Posted by 700LH
Figures huh?

huh?
I should have said, "It figures that Powell would back Obama gay military idea".
Considering its a volunteer force, age demographics being what they are, and fighting in several places at once might make a guy compromise a little on who gets to join up.

With 2 wars going on and young Americans dying. Why is the President who never visits our troop engaged in Social Engineering? Can you imagine any war that has been won with the leaders pushing sexual agendas?
I imagine they are looking to the next war.

Originally Posted by AcesNeights
If Republicans had any sense he'd be the first African American in the White House.....not the #@!%$&^ we have now!

Well if you like stinking moderates and RINO's Powell would be great.
It's no surprise that he'd flip-flop on this issue.

Not that I'd know personally, but it seems that being a general is as much politician as a military man.

Just my opinion, but Powell seems to be one to gravitate toward what suits him at the time. Since defending the war in Iraq to the UN, his slip and slide down the slope toward the left has been pretty consistent. I guess he thinks he was the scapegoat there or something. He really wasn't though.

To have been a fly on the wall during some of the conversations involving Powell and Rumsfeld...probably a little scary.

© 24hourcampfire