Home
Posted By: mu2bdriver Arisaka or Mauser - 02/27/10
My dilemma is that I have to choose between one of the two below...Any recommendations?

1. Arisaka 6.5x50 Type 38 GI bring-back, mum intact

2. Mauser 1914 with chromed-over blue w/ 300 rounds of 32ACP

The details of the deals work out to even $, but I'm having a hard time making a choice. #1 will require dies, brass, etc. to get set up. #2 is chromed over and I'd rather have the original blued version, but it's till in good shape.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Arisaka or Mauser - 02/27/10
Pass
Posted By: billhilly Re: Arisaka or Mauser - 02/27/10
Pass +1
Posted By: Notropis Re: Arisaka or Mauser - 02/27/10
Why do you have to choose between the two? Inheritance? Gift?
Posted By: oldman1942 Re: Arisaka or Mauser - 02/27/10
IF the type 38 is minty and 100% original with all parts intact, it is the one to pick as it's worth a ton more money.
Posted By: jnyork Re: Arisaka or Mauser - 02/27/10
Move on.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Arisaka or Mauser - 02/27/10
The Mausers actually seem easier to find these days. Do you reload? That Arisaka has a somewhat crude look in comparison to what most of us see as a neat bolt rifle, but is a very strong action and the 6.5 cartridge, especially with the modern bullets, can be a really good shooter. And, the Japanese chromed many of those barrels, so that one may be in great shape. A buddy near here sees a lot of coyotes from his truck and keeps a 6.5 Arisaka in the cab. Not an expensive or pretty rifle, but deadly.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Arisaka or Mauser - 02/27/10
Originally Posted by mu2bdriver
My dilemma is that I have to choose between one of the two below...Any recommendations?

Who did you piss off?
Posted By: T LEE Re: Arisaka or Mauser - 02/27/10
I would save my money and move on, neither is worth much nor are they good shooters. If I HAD to take one it would be the Mauser as it uses a common cartridge, easily obtainable OTC the world over.
Posted By: 4xbear Re: Arisaka or Mauser - 02/27/10
Originally Posted by Pugs

Who did you piss off?
laugh Bear
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Arisaka or Mauser - 02/28/10
Neither. Just my .02 cents worth.
Posted By: Steve_NO Re: Arisaka or Mauser - 02/28/10
hard to think of two things that go bang I would just walk away from, but those are two. can you pick something else, like whatever is behind door number three?
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Arisaka or Mauser - 02/28/10
Arisakas are fun.
Originally Posted by 280shooter
Arisakas are fun.

And the 38 carbines are really really fun. wink

I take it that this isn't a carbine and if so will be heavy and unwieldy for what it is. There is always the ammo problem too.

BCR
I have a carbine that was re-chambered to 6.5X57.It has a Timney with a safety and I restocked it a couple of years ago. It's a fun little antelope killer.
Bet it is. That would be a sweet little machine.

BCR
Posted By: fburgtx Re: Arisaka or Mauser - 02/28/10
Does the Arisaka have the chrysanthemum on it??? If it hasn't been ground off, it could have some decent collector value.

What's choice c)???? (If it's keeping your money in your pocket, I'd pick that.
Posted By: mu2bdriver Re: Arisaka or Mauser - 02/28/10
Yes, the mum is intact. They're a choice of inheritance items - the equal $ was the cost of driving out and picking one up.

I wasn't expecting much in terms of responses, but with exception to a couple of worthwhile posts, many of the comments have hit a new low in value added to a discussion.
Posted By: Notropis Re: Arisaka or Mauser - 02/28/10
I would take the Arisaka.
Posted By: Steve_NO Re: Arisaka or Mauser - 02/28/10
If it's got the mum, and those are your choices, the Arisaka by a mile.
Posted By: mu2bdriver Re: Arisaka or Mauser - 02/28/10
Now we're getting somewhere...thanks guys.
Posted By: fburgtx Re: Arisaka or Mauser - 02/28/10
Yes, the mum is intact. They're a choice of inheritance items - the equal $ was the cost of driving out and picking one up.

If the mum is intact, you have your answer. Arisakas used to be hard to give away ($100) at gun shows years ago. They're starting to gain in collector's value. Unless the Mauser belonged to Hitler or Himmler (and can be proven!!), go with the Arisaka.
Mine was brought back from the Pacific by my great uncle.My grandfather had it rechambered and my uncle bedded it in a 600 Rem stock utilizing half a ton of Bondo. It would shoot around 3-3.5" groups at 100 yds. I picked up a roughed out sporter stock on Ebay and finished it up. It will now shoot under an inch with 125 Nosler Partitions. My wife shot her first deer with it a couple of years ago and I have used it in Wyoming on antelope. The original safety is pretty funky but the Timney trigger negates that problem. The Arisaka is a much maligned, very solid action which handles gases very well in the case of a ruptured case. I think quite a bit of the bad rap comes from the last-ditch 99's that were iffy to downright dangerous in terms of construction. Check to see if this one has a chrome lined barrel.Just my humble opinion.
Posted By: model70man Re: Arisaka or Mauser - 02/28/10
I would take the Arisaka. I've been looking for an nice affordable one for a long time because my dad faced them on Gualdalcanal. He said the 6.5 had a cracking sound much more distinctive than the 7.7. Another thing, the Japs chrome lined the bores of most of them and that was a smart thing to do in the humid climate of the South Pacific.

Also, old P.O. could attest to the strength of the Arisaka. I think they came out number 1 or 2 on the blowup tests.

Quality of the pre war rifles was excellent but of course, everyone knows about the "last ditch" Arisakas.

The was a 7.7 here on the campfire but I never got an answer to a PM or I would have bought it.

I think Jap rifles will only go up in value. Thanks..Bill.
Posted By: justsaymoe Re: Arisaka or Mauser - 02/28/10
Arisaka for sure, but leave it as is! A 1914 32ACP pistol that has been chromed, is just another 32, even if it is a Mauser.
Posted By: Armednfree Re: Arisaka or Mauser - 02/28/10
A 1914 32ACP pistol that has been chromed

Sounds like an old pimp gun, no thanks. Go with the Arisaka
Posted By: T LEE Re: Arisaka or Mauser - 02/28/10
It would be the Arisaka for me in that case, with an eye to eventual sale.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Arisaka or Mauser - 02/28/10

I wasn't expecting much in terms of responses, but with exception to a couple of worthwhile posts, many of the comments have hit a new low in value added to a discussion.

Well if you don't like the "Pass" responses I suggest you don't ask for recommendations.

Considering it's an inheritance option I suggest you take the Arisaka, that will be a tighter fit up your ass.
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Arisaka or Mauser - 02/28/10
What S'head said.
Posted By: g5m Re: Arisaka or Mauser - 02/28/10
If I were in the market between those two it would be the Arisaka.
Posted By: Spaff Re: Arisaka or Mauser - 03/01/10
Well I'm a bit of a japanophile so I would take the arisaka. I wouldn't alter it and if it was safe to shoot I'd take to the range with some onigiri and tea.
Posted By: Armednfree Re: Arisaka or Mauser - 03/01/10
Lots of Arisaka's are fine shooting rifles, as good as a Mauser and most Springfields. Just not as powerful. It depends on it's condition and when it was made, plus any bore wear.

A lot of the ill opinions on the rifle are based more on crappy ammo. Late war jap ammo was simply junk, as is Norma. Normas bullet is simply too heavy for the round. I haven't heard anything on the Hornady round, but 139 grains is what the gun was made for and the Hornady is 140 grains.

On a historical note. going to the 7.7x58 round was a mistake for the Japs. Their small stature soldiers had problems with a rifle that equaled the 303 British in power. The short rifle made things much worse. They simply didn't need the range capability to go farther in the jungles.
Posted By: hatari Re: Arisaka or Mauser - 03/01/10
Arisaka!!!
Posted By: mu2bdriver Re: Arisaka or Mauser - 03/01/10
Thanks again guys. It's interesting to note the value of responses vs post count.
Enjoy the week.
© 24hourcampfire